As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    Okay. I'm going to come back, seeing as the first 10 days will be free and all.

I'll have to hook up with the other player(s?) from Australia as well.

Fun fact, apparently I have two level 38 zealots. Although one has a significantly higher RR then the other. While I am a self confessed altoholic that seems a little excessive even for me, though i can vaguely recall the logic behind it.

Anyways i can't wait to play my crazy cult worshiper dressed in dead birds again. If there is one thing war did right, it's the character armor.

Volkmar seems to be the Oceanic Server, as far as I can tell.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, dusted off my old Warrior Priest, who's now rank 21...

...Holy crap, I forgot how much of a little melee ball of death they were in Tier 2. :winky:

EDIT: ...although I feel a bit stupid now after buying a bunch of rank 20 talismans, thinking I'd upgrade my gear tons with them... and forgetting that the rank requirement on talismans refers to the item you're putting it in, not your character's rank.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    meatflower wrote: »
    On the Call to Arms thing, this is the link: https://accounts.eamythic.com/war/reactivate

I logged in and it said I was eligible for a free 10 days. Guess I'll give this a try again, see if it really has changed at all.

Of course as soon as I reactivate I'll hit T3 and stop having a good time no matter what.

It is hard to get the ball rolling in T3 sometimes, but you really do just have to start a WB and shit gets going. I saw a keep got tagged we didn't own, jumped on my SH, then proceeded to get 2 renown ranks as we capped all three pairings after that.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Hey for those of you who are on Volkmar/moving to Volkmar. What are your character names? At the moment I've got Squigonmeback, Gobbo Squig Herder.

Arthil on
  • SotextliSotextli Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been playing the endless trial, mainly as destruction on Iron Rock.

I'm almost at my character limit because I've been trying out different careers to see which ones I like best.

I've got:
    Black Guard
    Shaman
    Choppa
    Black Orc
    Witch Elf
    Squig Herder
    Maurader
    Magus

And I used to have a DoK, but I decided that I didn't really like that one.

I enjoy playing the rest of these careers more than I really ever expected. Somehow they've made healing fun for me.

I'm really starting to consider upgrading to the full game.

Sotextli on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dok really comes into it's own once you get the group heal at 20.

Fantastic group healers in general. Before that they take a lot of effort to keep up their own group.

Pretty bad at out of group healing but if there is a properly set up sac dok, you used to be able to go chalice heavy sacrifice and be able to spam the heal on hit that works for a radius around you. Combined with a guard, this made you very very tough + you are killing the enemy while healing yourself and the tank next to you and any melee dps in the smackdown train.

I've got no idea how well this works anymore. I doubt it would work half as well in large scale orvr in t4 beacuse of focus fire and lag, but it'd be fine for scenario groups with friends I suspect.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sotextli wrote: »
    I've been playing the endless trial, mainly as destruction on Iron Rock.

I'm really starting to consider upgrading to the full game.

If you do toss me a PM and ill send you the recruit a friend thingy. Also if you have any questions on black orcs, or in general toss me a message in game. Character name Detharen on Iron Rock destro.

Detharin on
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone else having trouble DLing? My patcher has been going for the better part of about six hours and it's only a third of the way done. My connection isn't lagged, but this patcher is downloading like ass. Didn't seem to find a torrent alternative. Really regretting turning on that 10 day return to arms before installing. =(

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i remember tier 1 pvp was the most fun i ever had in any mmo ever in my life.

It felt kinda balanced, it was slightly slow paced and you had to think and work as a team. FUcking awesome. The tier 2 and 3, everyone gets a fuckton of abilities and its hard to know what to do, people die to fast and it sucks dick.

hadoken on
    edited June 2010
    I will just say, Squig Armor is the shit. With it and my gas squig I made a Slayer and a Shadow Hunter my bitches.

Arthil on
  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In a great guild on Volkmar. Serpent Cross, Sorc is named Xzeanelenan

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well my magus is up to tier 3 now. I keep forgetting how fucking huge the castles are. Two doors to break, inner and outer walls. So much artillery raining down on your head and then break your way through tons of enemies to kill a lord who keeps reseting because someone keeps throwing everyone over the wall over and over again.

Some awesome orvr tonight though. Lots of us sieging and smashing order. I got top 5 contribution twice in the 5 castles we took, and never got about 12th in the rolls which made me sad though.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The game seems to run more or less the same on my desktop as it did on my laptop.

I have a 5870 and an I7. The laptop was from 2008 and had a Core2Duo and a 8600GT.

How is that even possible.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Am questioning whether or not Volkmar is in any way a good choice for Oceanic times. Badlands has a lot more activity, admittedly this is indeed in Tier 1 but still.

Arthil on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's a shame... I guess. But then again I believe that the entire team should've been purged and replaced with one that believes when it comes to making a Warhammer MMO they should create a world as well as a game.

Back in the day the folks a Mythic said something on the lines that they're making a game not a world. I think Josh was one of them.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It sucks for those layed off but I don't get the people in those comment blaming EA.

Make a game that sucks less and people will stick around for longer than the first month.

815165 on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes because every outcome or consequence in life has only a single cause and it's impossible for any event or situation to be a function of multiple causes, right?

Both mythic and EA can't have collaboratively fucked up and the mmo environment at the time (wow) can't have affected anything. People don't jump on the first explanation that makes sense to them and ignore all the rest.

No it's either ALL mythic or ALL ea and that's all the options.

How about no.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited June 2010
    Yes because every outcome or consequence in life has only a single cause and it's impossible for any event or situation to be a function of multiple causes, right?

Both mythic and EA can't have collaboratively fucked up and the mmo environment at the time (wow) can't have affected anything. People don't jump on the first explanation that makes sense to them and ignore all the rest.

How about no.
    Exactly, right. I think EA panicked and pushed for an early release, which certainly didn't help; especially the classes that weren't included at release. But what was already there was not a good enough game to hold the majority of the buyers for more than a few weeks, it was pretty annoying playing through various stages of the beta where the same common complaints about big issues didn't seem to result in any actual change in the game during the beta process and were still there when the game came out. :(

815165 on
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »

How about no.
    Exactly, right. I think EA panicked and pushed for an early release, which certainly didn't help; especially the classes that weren't included at release. But what was already there was not a good enough game to hold the majority of the buyers for more than a few weeks, it was pretty annoying playing through various stages of the beta where the same common complaints about big issues didn't seem to result in any actual change in the game during the beta process and were still there when the game came out. :(

Man you came off before as having picked the opposite side of a false dichotomy which is really confusing given that you obviously agree it is false.

Like, your post just now in reply to what I said makes sense. But your first post really doesn't make it clear at all.
    So when you said "exactly right" I'm all "bwuh?"

Well I'm glad you are a cool dude then.

Morninglord on
    edited June 2010
    Right yeah, sorry, English is like my third language so I fuck it up a lot. I should have been clearer in my first post that blaming one company for two companies putting out a not very good game between them isn't really fair. Most of the comments were aimed at EA so I just mentioned them but reading it again it does make it seem like I'm solely blaming Mythic.

They both sucked here, maybe EA might have panicked less if the beta went better, I dunno. :(

Plus the douches they gave the EU license to (VOA?) sucked even more, they're still making websites entirely in flash without actually using any flash features so it just takes ten times as long to load their shitty forms that end up not working.

815165 on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just wish they could pour the money into fixing the game. They have a very solid PvP set up if they just fixed some of the other stuff, such as class Balance maybe make the world seem more alive then it would be a great game.

Ziac45 on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Claiming they have a solid pvp base but then saying that balance is one of the issues... What's the solid PvP base you're talking about? I agree that when sitting down to come up with the game they had a ton to work with and almost everything lore/class wise was spelled out for them. I kind of think of this like all the shitty movies out there that buy the IP for something just so there's a familiar name to put on junk.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited June 2010
    All I know is, WAR's first year was a whole shit load productive than WoW's was, but half the WoW players now weren't really Beta/Launch players so they don't remember what it's like to play a Year One MMO.

Obviously, we're 2 years in now, but that first year set the tone for all of the bitching, mis-information, and things like that around WAR. All of those WoW players who are effectively bored of WoW but too narrow minded to play any game that isn't WoW at it's latest patch, swamped the game for a month, then ran back to WoW and pulled the rug out from Mythic who thought they actually had a fighting chance.

Same thing happened to AoC. Not to defend AoC or anything, but let's be honest, I was a fan of AoC and I didn't think it would have a sliver of the launch it had. It was because of an entire market that exists in MMO gaming now of WoW players who are bored of WoW but consider WoW's latest patch as a reasonable bar for launching MMO's.

It's tragic and stupid. The MMO genre is already muddled by that type of player. It's the reason MMO's will never see a popular, hardcore game along the line of UO or anything. The major consumer market in the MMO field is the bitchy WoW player who thinks WoW STILL needs to be easier.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
    edited June 2010
    weenus wrote: »
    All I know is, WAR's first year was a whole shit load productive than WoW's was, but half the WoW players now weren't really Beta/Launch players so they don't remember what it's like to play a Year One MMO.

Obviously, we're 2 years in now, but that first year set the tone for all of the bitching, mis-information, and things like that around WAR. All of those WoW players who are effectively bored of WoW but too narrow minded to play any game that isn't WoW at it's latest patch, swamped the game for a month, then ran back to WoW and pulled the rug out from Mythic who thought they actually had a fighting chance.

Same thing happened to AoC. Not to defend AoC or anything, but let's be honest, I was a fan of AoC and I didn't think it would have a sliver of the launch it had. It was because of an entire market that exists in MMO gaming now of WoW players who are bored of WoW but consider WoW's latest patch as a reasonable bar for launching MMO's.

It's tragic and stupid. The MMO genre is already muddled by that type of player. It's the reason MMO's will never see a popular, hardcore game along the line of UO or anything. The major consumer market in the MMO field is the bitchy WoW player who thinks WoW STILL needs to be easier.

Comparing year one of a particular MMO to another one doesn't make sense unless they come out in the same year. They have to compete against the other actual games in the market, not the no-longer in existence launch year version of those games.

And furthermore, blaming your average WoW player for the demise of WAR is silly when the failure of the game is primarily due to the mistakes they themselves made. I don't want to rehash them here because they are legion. Furthermore, all the boxes sold to people who didn't end up sticking around should have given them enough of an infusion of money that they could have gotten the resources to deal with the myriad of problems the game had at launch.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I enjoyed the fuck out of Tier2 RvR last night. Got into an awesome warband that flipped zones, which was aight in itself, but then got into repeated conflicts with an Order WB in Elf, which turned 'aight' into 'fuck yeah.'

Took out a defended four-star keep. Experience was awesome compared to just capping points and flipping zones.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The mistakes and problems were there from launch no doubt. But I also agree that a lot of WoW people came over looking for an alternative, found the flawed game and then left.

The big problem for any new MMO coming out on the to market these days is that they have to have a flawless amazing game to stand a chance. A lot of WoW people will leave and check out a new game but if it doesn't match up to another game that has been running successfuly all this time and isn't bug free (something that isn't really going to happen in the first few months) then they'll say it sucks and go back to what they know.

WoW in it's first month or two of release was down for patching during aussie prime time every other night, had a bunch of little problems - some that still exist, lol fearing through the world (though less common than it used to be), but it was also good enough to compete, despite it's faults, against EQ1 which a lot of people thought wouldn't be affected due to it's time out blah blah. Also WoW had a lot of fans of the series that had never played MMOs to draw on due to name recognition but ya know..

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Klatu wrote: »
    The mistakes and problems were there from launch no doubt. But I also agree that a lot of WoW people came over looking for an alternative, found the flawed game and then left.

The big problem for any new MMO coming out on the to market these days is that they have to have a flawless amazing game to stand a chance. A lot of WoW people will leave and check out a new game but if it doesn't match up to another game that has been running successfuly all this time and isn't bug free (something that isn't really going to happen in the first few months) then they'll say it sucks and go back to what they know.

WoW in it's first month or two of release was down for patching during aussie prime time every other night, had a bunch of little problems - some that still exist, lol fearing through the world (though less common than it used to be), but it was also good enough to compete, despite it's faults, against EQ1 which a lot of people thought wouldn't be affected due to it's time out blah blah. Also WoW had a lot of fans of the series that had never played MMOs to draw on due to name recognition but ya know..

I agree with all your points but don't blame WoW for any of it. WoW has changed the game and you can't blame the players or anyone else if your game is plagued with bugs and poor design. Sure it can have a lot of Pros but it cannot have glaring Cons. All WoW did was make it so you can't release games and get a free pass or grace period to clean it up.

It's not a bad thing and you can't blame anyone but the developer now. The fact that people left WoW and went and bought the box means they were looking for something new and would have stayed if it was worth it. I bought the box played for 27 days and cancelled before I was ever charged a sub fee. A long time later my brother got me to try it out again and I managed a few good months. (Currently haven't played an MMO in over a year and waiting for TOR)

EDIT: Don't want it to seem like I'm disagreeing with you in anyway or imply that you blame WoW,

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I didn't pick up on that vibe at all mate, don't worry.

I don't blame WoW in any way either. Hell, I used to be a huge WoW fanboy, they just lost me after I hit LK cap, did some stuff and got bored again lol.

As long as SE listens to the masses during the alpha (and beta if they haven't fixed it by then) to make the game as PC friendly as it is console friendly, then they should be pretty set. The game as it stands in Alpha isn't a bad game at all, just not PC friendly. I have no real complaints about it other than that, though from what I hear, gathering - mining, is really really bad. I haven't got around to testing it myself though, I'll wait til beta, as I'll spend my last alpha day poking things with a polearm or something.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited June 2010
    It obviously didn't help either that Lich King came out two months after WAR did (why they didn't attempt to get out of its' way and launch later I don't know) because there are people like me out there who will let their WoW sub lapse until a new expansion comes out.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Claiming they have a solid pvp base but then saying that balance is one of the issues... What's the solid PvP base you're talking about? I agree that when sitting down to come up with the game they had a ton to work with and almost everything lore/class wise was spelled out for them. I kind of think of this like all the shitty movies out there that buy the IP for something just so there's a familiar name to put on junk.

The base I mean is that it's fun, you can jump into scenarios from anywhere in the game world (don't know if WoW ever picked that up or not), keep sieges rock and Open RVR is great and plentiful. The PvP is good, it's fast paced, its fun and Class balance is a separate issue from having a solid PvP set up.

Ziac45 on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I have something I need to say. T3 is the worst, until you just go into LotD and get 2 and a half levels in an hour. I'm 27 now. This place is great, I get 24k exp a pull killing these champions. Maybe I can actually get into a tier where people do things.

Although that's kind of a lie, I have been rolling with some dedicated T3 warbands as of late, but nobody is ever around to quest together.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited June 2010

I agree with all your points but don't blame WoW for any of it. WoW has changed the game and you can't blame the players or anyone else if your game is plagued with bugs and poor design. Sure it can have a lot of Pros but it cannot have glaring Cons. All WoW did was make it so you can't release games and get a free pass or grace period to clean it up.

I just can't get behind this statement at all. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I don't understand HOW WoW did that in a reasonable, or logical way. It didn't. It's fanatical fanbase made it so you can't release a game and get a free pass or grace period to clean it up. Because WoW released and had a free pass and a grace period to clean it up.

I just don't understand how an MMO that's first year PVP was basically a pointless, civil war re-enactment in Hillsbrad, set any kind of standards based on free passes or grace periods, because they had a huge one.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I have something I need to say. T3 is the worst, until you just go into LotD and get 2 and a half levels in an hour. I'm 27 now. This place is great, I get 24k exp a pull killing these champions. Maybe I can actually get into a tier where people do things.

Although that's kind of a lie, I have been rolling with some dedicated T3 warbands as of late, but nobody is ever around to quest together.

If someone is offering spots for a land of the dead aoe champ killing group, jump on that shit.

So much experience was gained tonight.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I need to see if I can get in this lotd stuff since I am tier 3 now on my magus. Though I did spend my first night in tier 3 running around taking keeps which were actually defended, getting influence for my shiny purple rewards and some exp and renown as well.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    doing the T1 free for life trail now, on right now dwarf eng razorzar

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just can't get behind this statement at all. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I don't understand HOW WoW did that in a reasonable, or logical way. It didn't. Its fanatical fanbase made it so you can't release a game and get a free pass or grace period to clean it up. Because WoW released and had a free pass and a grace period to clean it up.

I just don't understand how an MMO whose first year PVP was basically a pointless, civil war re-enactment in Hillsbrad, set any kind of standards based on free passes or grace periods, because they had a huge one.
    Because its terrible world PVP is not what made the game popular and never was.
    I also don't see why it's so surprising that people would look at an MMO, play it, then go "okay, I expect the new games to be at least as good at this if not better". It's how people treat every other game, that they would treat MMOs the same is expected. No, it doesn't matter that MMOs are a different beast, because we're talking about humans here, not robots. Blaming WoW for human nature is just silly goosery.

Glal on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    I just can't get behind this statement at all. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I don't understand HOW WoW did that in a reasonable, or logical way. It didn't. Its fanatical fanbase made it so you can't release a game and get a free pass or grace period to clean it up. Because WoW released and had a free pass and a grace period to clean it up.

I just don't understand how an MMO whose first year PVP was basically a pointless, civil war re-enactment in Hillsbrad, set any kind of standards based on free passes or grace periods, because they had a huge one.
    Because its terrible world PVP is not what made the game popular and never was.
    I also don't see why it's so surprising that people would look at an MMO, play it, then go "okay, I expect the new games to be at least as good at this if not better". It's how people treat every other game, that they would treat MMOs the same is expected. No, it doesn't matter that MMOs are a different beast, because we're talking about humans here, not robots. Blaming WoW for human nature is just silly goosery.
    You have to remember a large contingent of WoW raiders had to leave WoW and go back to Everquest because WoW was slow in developing their raid content. They eventually came back to WoW when then Blizzard finished patching in more raid dungeons etc.

I dont think WAR has made an attempt to compete directly with WoW in any area, except having an overarching campaign that involved world PvP, instance PvP, and PvE. But when each of the individual components were done better by WoW, you can understand how WAR isnt going to hold players that have already invested heavily in their WoW characters with crafting, raiding, etc.

Both games had serious balance issues with PvP. Blizzard tried to handwave it away by saying their game was PvE focused, Mythic had no such excuse.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eh, I found WAR's PVP better in every single type and its PQs were brilliant (until the population in the bracket dropped and you had no one to do them with). But its rather dire performance combined with boring, yet required PVE (unless you wanted to spend 10x as much time doing the same PVP objectives over and over), the grind that was RR ranks, the still present *class discrepancy... that's what killed it for me.

*WoW's is worse, but since all of its PVP is too terribad to play it doesn't affect me

Glal on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I rushed to T4 doing PvE, i was like RR15 when i hit level 30. Ever since i've been PvPing pretty much all the time to catch up on RR. i dont feel any huge rush to get to 40 now that im in T4.

Saban on
    371839-1.png