As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] SPACE COMBAT CONFIRMED

• gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm probably gonna roll a trooper once I get it eventually, dunno about what subclass though

gunwarrior on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    Noooo I like the Chiss but I know I will be playing a trooper. Hope the republic get some interesting races as well , which I'm sure they will.

Hope you like fish.

Agent Cooper on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just wish I could be a droid trooper.

MrIamMe on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    Noooo I like the Chiss but I know I will be playing a trooper. Hope the republic get some interesting races as well , which I'm sure they will.

Hope you like fish.

Hate the stuff actually but I guess I could live with playing a mon cal.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Knights of the Old Republic contains three hundred different characters and fifteen thousand lines of speech. "One complete copy of the Knights of the Old Republic script fills up 10 5-inch binders," voice department manager Darragh O'Farrell noted. A cast of around a hundred voice actors, including Ed Asner, Raphael Sbarge, Ethan Phillips, Jennifer Hale, and Phil LaMarr was assembled. "Fortunately, with a game this size, it's easy to have an actor play a few different characters and scatter those parts throughout the game so you'll never notice it's the same actor you heard earlier," O'Farrell said.
    I'm sure you could get at least 5 or 6 characters out of having Kanye West come in with Autotune.
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well the cinematic displays the two extremes pretty well: guy starts out with a humongous cannon that shoots concentrated awesome balls, and then he discards that weapon in favor of shoulder tackling Sith.
    Don't forget the pigsticker. As someone said in the previous thread... him going after the Sith with a knife was probably the biggest insight into what kind of person the Trooper is supposed to be. And that person is Jack Burton.
    Henroid wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    A walking turret? more maneuverable super soldier? So you get more metaphysical then Jon Dunn?

Yeah I didn't really get what he meant by that either, which is why I quoted it directly. My feeling is that one of them is more like the Heavy from TF2. He's huge, slow, and has a giant gun that dishes out tons of damage. The other wields just a blaster, but is very maneuverable and able to cruise through a battle in an epic suit of armor - think more like the protagonist of the Crysis games.
    Does it say the "super soldier" carries just a blaster specifically? I took it to mean as being generally well equipped and well rounded still, only more physically fit in general.
    I think it means he carries a big shield with the Republic emblem and smacks people with it.

GungHo on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh god, I made the terrible mistake of wandering into TOR's official forums.

There's this 20 page long thread about how the trailer was disappointing.

I just want to smack them.

Melkster on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Disappointing?

I'm heading there right now to read up on some of their "reasoning" for that statement.

reVerse on
  • AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They're probably dissapointed that it's another cinematic combat trailer, they really want to see a cinematic crafting system trailer.

Akoot on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has there been any news on whether or not this game will feature combat logging?

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
    edited June 2010
    You mean stuff like "Republic Trooper hits mangy rat for 7 space points"? I'd bet on it, it's an MMO after all.

reVerse on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has there been any news on whether or not this game will feature combat logging?

There's a good chance it will as combat logs are actually super useful in track down any number of bugs or issues.

Magic Radio on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Well, I was calling into question the "blaster" thing. I consider blasters and blaster rifles very fucking different things. <_<

So it sounded like it was a special agent thing when he said blaster.
    Han_Solo-scaled-blaster.jpg

Blaster, Han Solo style. I can see Bounty Hunters, Smugglers and Agents using these, primarily Smugglers.
    Stormtrooper-blaster-l.jpg

Blaster Rifle, also known as that thing Stormtroopers can't aim to save their life.
    RepublicTrooper-TOR.jpg

The Trooper Blaster Rifle, which is both huge and a rifle. And not the biggest gun they got ethier, which is awesome.
    *spoiler-tagging for v-scroll in case of quote tree*
    I always appreciated that, even though it was never used in the movies or any games from what I've seen, there was an extendable stock on the blaster rifle. Look at it! Locked into its not-used position by the barrel.

As for the troopers, big question here: How will character customization work for their looks? Do you get to customize their armor or helmets?

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    As for the troopers, big question here: How will character customization work for their looks? Do you get to customize their armor or helmets?

They've shown several trooper armor sets rocking various paint schemes (which probably indicate a unit of some kind) so I'd imagine that would be the main area of customization. Another possibility is emblems on the chest plate or the shoulders.

Magic Radio on
    edited June 2010
    It's a gear based game, though, so I would imagine the degree of armor customization will be roughly "shall I take the gear with the good stats or the one that matches the rest of my gear".

reVerse on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if we will get the totally ugly clown suit curse as well

Brainleech on
    edited June 2010
    You mean stuff like "Republic Trooper hits mangy rat for 7 space points"? I'd bet on it, it's an MMO after all.

Exactly.

(1276733508)[Wed Jun 16 20:11:48 2010] Lail tries to pierce a silent sentinel, but a silent sentinel parries the aoe attack

etc.

I really hope so, because this would allow me to easily modify my parser to work with TOR.

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited June 2010

Exactly.

(1276733508)[Wed Jun 16 20:11:48 2010] Lail tries to pierce a silent sentinel, but a silent sentinel parries the aoe attack

etc.

I really hope so, because this would allow me to easily modify my parser to work with TOR.

Oh also, I'm sure there will be an in-game combat log, but I was meaning more external - as in, writing to a file.

rehtonAesoohC on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

We haven't seen specific commentary on gear customization for Troopers. However, I think this video may interest you. It's one possible gear progression on a Bounty Hunter character. Notice that the armor and helmets get fancier and fancier as the character gets more advanced.

Bounty Hunter Armor Progression

Melkster on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's a gear based game, though, so I would imagine the degree of armor customization will be roughly "shall I take the gear with the good stats or the one that matches the rest of my gear".

Does the gear actually determine looks, or is it a level progression thing?

Henroid on
    edited June 2010

Well, it's gear. There's no reason to assume it doesn't determine looks because that's how WoW does it. Pretty sure one of the devs mentioned "determining characters power by the looks" in some interview, but I'm not 100% on that.

reVerse on
    edited June 2010

Well, it's gear. There's no reason to assume it doesn't determine looks because that's how WoW does it. Pretty sure one of the devs mentioned "determining characters power by the looks" in some interview, but I'm not 100% on that.

Character level can determine a character's power by looks too, if level progression changes your outfit. Or even in that it has a WoW effect of higher level armor generally looking better and better as you progress.

Anyhow, on the concept of gear you wear actually changing how your character looks, while I appreciate it I think Star Wars is one of those settings where I'd rather it didn't happen necessarily. If they go with a Diablo approach, where ranges of more efficient armor changes your character's look, I'd be happy with that.

Henroid on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

We haven't seen specific commentary on gear customization for Troopers. However, I think this video may interest you. It's one possible gear progression on a Bounty Hunter character. Notice that the armor and helmets get fancier and fancier as the character gets more advanced.

Bounty Hunter Armor Progression

I was just thinking about this video and the progression of armor.

What if you find a set of armor that you really like? Wouldn't it be great to upgrade that armor, and use it without upgrading to a new look every few levels? I mean, how would one recognize Boba Fett without his unique-looking Mandalorian armor?

Just sayin'.

Tach on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    What if you find a set of armor that you really like? Wouldn't it be great to upgrade that armor, and use it without upgrading to a new look every few levels? I mean, how would one recognize Boba Fett without his unique-looking Mandalorian armor?

Just sayin'.

The BH especially makes me wonder about how armor upgrades will work since a number of the abilities revealed so far refer to equipment integral to its armor. Would you be forced to scrap older pieces every now and then in favor of a piece with a jetpack, lasso, etc.?

Honestly, I find that preferable to the idea that even the newbie armor had all this stuff in there but you were too retarded to figure out what all the fancy buttons did prior to shooting a lot of people in the face.

I do hope that there is customization of armor colors though. That was one thing SWG got right eventually. To some degree. Okay, the actual color options for armor were still pretty limited after they were implemented but otherwise you had a lot of control over what you wore and how it looked.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm almost 100% positive that abilities will be tied to level progression only and will have nothing to do with what gear you're wearing.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So much of the WoW armor was completely hideous, I'm hoping there will be a bit more continuity from armor set to set.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited June 2010
    Just watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPR2erU7uo&feature=related and if I am not wrong one of the dialog options had [persuade] in front of it.

Ability to make talkie characters? Better and better.

MrIamMe on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's probably one of the best OP's I've seen in recent memory.

Bravo, Melkster. Very nicely done. :rotate: :^:

Bloodshed on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Just watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPR2erU7uo&feature=related and if I am not wrong one of the dialog options had [persuade] in front of it.

Ability to make talkie characters? Better and better.

That imperial agent has to have one of the least intimidating mustaches I've ever seen.

Not impressed with the PC VO in that video, but the NPC's voice and lines were darn good.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited June 2010
    The voice acting in that video is alright.

The combat animations look very, very unfinished though. The bounty hunter just kinda stands there holding her pistol out. And the droids' rifles make firing noises but don't shoot at one point in the video, unless that was something else.

All in all though, I like the look of it.

Henroid on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I was calling into question the "blaster" thing. I consider blasters and blaster rifles very fucking different things. <_<

So it sounded like it was a special agent thing when he said blaster.

I treat the word "blaster" like I treat the word "gun" - a catch-all term.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited June 2010
    On the subject of looks, it's helpful to keep in mind that in the universe of Star Wars armor doesn't usually help you against blasters. Armor is mostly for environmental protection, protection against kinetic based weapons, and for logistical tools like computers and what have you. Thus, it's certainly possible Bioware will let you wear whatever the fuck you want as far as armor tiers go (assuming that they want to be bros of course).

Magic Radio on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If armor doesn't protect you against blasters, and it sure as fuck doesn't help you against rocks, what the hell is it good for other than restricting your vision so you smash your head against the blast door?

Agent Cooper on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Armor does help you versus thrown rocks. That whole Endor Battle was a farce of scripting and directing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eww morals
    I wonder if they will still have the light/dark system they had in KotoR and if that affects your talent tree or whatever they will use

I wonder with Bounty Hunters will you be doomed to just a pistol with all your other tools

Brainleech on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eww morals
    I wonder if they will still have the light/dark system they had in KotoR and if that affects your talent tree or whatever they will use

You choose faction at character creation, I imagine that choice determines your dark or light sidedness.

Back to the first page convo re: the dialog and content. I just applied for a writing job with BioWare (for this game) and the application required 3000 words of unique dialog written in the NWN toolset.

That's more than most feature films.

And before anyone asks I only applied a week ago, I just got the "Thanks for your submission! The hiring director...blah blah blah," response on Monday.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
    edited June 2010
    2868 wrote: »
    Eww morals

You choose faction at character creation, I imagine that choice determines your dark or light sidedness.

Well, since the dark side/light side thing is affected by the choices you make during gameplay, I'm going to assume it's just a generic good/evil meter with Star Wars theme plastered on top of it. You can be a Sith Inquisitor who is basically a good guy but who believes in the tenets of the Sith, or you can be a Jedi who's a total fucking asshole (see: most prequel Jedis).

reVerse on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Crap load of videos at G4: Gameplay, Dialog, All kinds of stuff.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    Crap load of videos at G4: Gameplay, Dialog, All kinds of stuff.

Why are so many of the NPCs fat, bald dudes?

The character models look quite comicy in general. :?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited June 2010
    Thats deliberate, as it can scale quite well.

Remember, the general MMO graphical rule of thumb is the games graphics needs to run on a 4yr old mid-level system.

I imagine high-def with all the bells and whistles will look quite good.

MrIamMe on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HbYkN9UQQ

Nice to see that you don't have to be a nice guy if you play Republic.

Burden of Proof on
This discussion has been closed.