As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    also i cannot be allowed in A. the powerhouse or B. millenium city or C. anywhere where i can see another player

because for every 90 billion shitty costumes

i see one or two that are like WHAAAAAa and then i get ideas

and since i am FINALLY PAST LEVEL TEN i need to stop having ideas

Arch on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahahahaa......

*Twitch*

I too am struck with this affliction, AID ME BRETHREN!

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    also i cannot be allowed in A. the powerhouse or B. millenium city or C. anywhere where i can see another player

I saw a great looking two blade user yesterday, one on the back and one on the hip, plus a gun. Must be some kind of munition/dual blades. Might want to give it a try...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do you get banned from Champions Online if you get banned from the forums?

Because I've started responding to the h8-Might whiners in the worst way possible.

Less reason and arguing and a lot more "People who know how to play are doing fine in PvP with their ranged builds maybe you should learn 2 play".

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

Because I've started responding to the h8-Might whiners in the worst way possible.

Less reason and arguing and a lot more "People who know how to play are doing fine in PvP with their ranged builds maybe you should learn 2 play".

I wouldn't think so, I'm pretty sure in WoW you didn't, but I have no idea.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i just don't see the allure in playing PvP in a game like this

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I saw a great looking two blade user yesterday, one on the back and one on the hip, plus a gun. Must be some kind of munition/dual blades. Might want to give it a try...

guh i am still not sold on my poison ninja dude having single blades, given that he is a snake sort of

he is based on this

so like maybe having two swords is symbolic of the twin fangs of the snake?

fuck goddamit i need to give him dual blades

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so uh basically fuck you preach

luckily i am rather happy with my fire/celestial dude

the only problem i have is that it is apparently impossible to target friendly characters with the auto target? like i kept trying to heal desc with conduit and it wouldn't work

Arch on
  • Options
    WasabiBombWasabiBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Personally, I don't see the allure of PvP at all, in any MMORPG. It always seems to bring out the worst in the players, and I say this both from being a player and from being a dev (on another game).

Dear Company X, scissors is fine, please nerf Paper as they are clearly overpowered. Sincerely, Rock.

WasabiBomb on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I agree with this.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WasabiBomb wrote: »

Personally, I don't see the allure of PvP at all, in any MMORPG. It always seems to bring out the worst in the players, and I say this both from being a player and from being a dev (on another game).

Dear Company X, scissors is fine, please nerf Paper as they are clearly overpowered. Sincerely, Rock.

There's also that PVP in MMOS ends up ultimately being math class: unlike an FPS where a new person can get lucky, I've found over the years of trying PVP in MMOs that such usually doesn't exist there.

CO's open powers system is ripe for abuse, and unfortunately its PVP reflects this quite well.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    WasabiBomb wrote: »

There's also that PVP in MMOS ends up ultimately being math class: unlike an FPS where a new person can get lucky, I've found over the years of trying PVP in MMOs that such usually doesn't exist there.

CO's open powers system is ripe for abuse, and unfortunately its PVP reflects this quite well.

Yeah pvp works in FPS's because its all about aiming and proper weapon selection blah blah blah. MMO's its really hit and miss, maybe in a game like warhammer where thats the whole allure, but in a pve game it always feels hella tacked on.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    to be fair, some games do PvP really well; the one that sticks out in my mind was Dark Age of Camelot. but that has to be the focus

unfortunately PvP gets a lot of silly geese erect and cryptic wants as much money as possible, so they staple on that part of the game to make them happy

the same thing happened to Warcraft

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never found PvP tacked onto a PvE game to be anything more than a headache for devs and players alike.

RvR in DAoC and WAR worked, but because the PvE was the afterthought. PvP will always overshadow PvE when the two are mixed.

Still waiting for the next awesome PvP game that isn't a total gank-fest or Korean suck-job. Until then I'll live off the fumes of my DAoC memories. :P

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Oh god, considering how melee characters were second class citizens in PvP since launch I find the "ranged characters suck in PvP" complaints overflowing with delicious, delicious schadenfreude.

If it's anything like previous PvP-related complaints, there's one ridiculously unbalanced bullshit power that Cryptic missed a decimal point on, surrounded by fluffy layers of pointless whines about unrelated bullshit.

In other news, after years of trying in both CoX and CO, I finally won a costume contest. Woo.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

Oh god, considering how melee characters were second class citizens in PvP since launch I find the "ranged characters suck in PvP" complaints overflowing with delicious, delicious schadenfreude.

If it's anything like previous PvP-related complaints, there's one ridiculously unbalanced bullshit power that Cryptic missed a decimal point on, surrounded by fluffy layers of pointless whines about unrelated bullshit.

In other news, after years of trying in both CoX and CO, I finally won a costume contest. Woo.

PICTURES!

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »

PICTURES!

Ladies and gentlemen, my tiny little retro-robot, Metropol.

I only have a slightly older screenshot, so imagine the eyes now glow very slightly.
    Metropol.jpg

My favorite comment when I won was "Oh crap, I thought that was somebody's pet!"

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I noticed some people that had glowing parts, like the implant tubing. I am interested in having this, is it an unlockable?

Edit:

Lawndart, you should've named him Ferric Goliath

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I love costume contests- when I enter, I usually get at least third. I think it's my concept that does it:

SUPER HAPPY FUN BALL. Do not taunt.
    Super%20Happy%20Fun%20Ball.jpg

You can't see it in that picture, but he's got a smiley face on his back. I'm currently doing the massive grind for the Arms crafted travel power, so he can roll around like a ball. It's takin' damn near forever.

WasabiBomb on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Uh some parts have a glow slider when choosing the color. No unlock needed.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I haven't seen this glow slider in the character creation. :(

bowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I haven't seen this glow slider in the character creation. :(

It can be hard to spot. Look for little whitish auras around the color selection boxes when you're on certain objects. If you click to change the color on those particular boxes, they'll have a glow slider. Only certain parts have it- a good one to see it on is the eyes part.

WasabiBomb on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so someone talk to me about TK

is the tier 0 power actually GOOD?

does the advantage for it actually work on NPCs?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Pylon was using that last night on rashi right? Send him a pm he could probably tell you...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So two things.

Firstly, I would like...the GOOD trial. Am I correct in saying that jeepguy is the guy to PM about this?

Second, although I love the freedom afforded by the power framework system, I'd be interested in a resource that at least kinda...weeds out the really useless powers, or gives tips as to what combinations offer more synergy than others. Anyone have any recommended reading for that kind of thing?

Thank ye kindly.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ormuss wrote: »
    So two things.

Firstly, I would like...the GOOD trial. Am I correct in saying that jeepguy is the guy to PM about this?

Second, although I love the freedom afforded by the power framework system, I'd be interested in a resource that at least kinda...weeds out the really useless powers, or gives tips as to what combinations offer more synergy than others. Anyone have any recommended reading for that kind of thing?

Thank ye kindly.

I am stuck in the same boat dude...there really isn't a comprehensive guide out there.

Yeah PM jeepguy.

Arch on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Or you can PM me and I can send an invite.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited June 2010

TK works great. I'm going to link you to a build advice post, please don't explode from the wall of text.

Just keep in mind that there's three passives that work well with it, and you want your superstats to match up with the passive you want to use.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showpost.php?p=1586467&postcount=4

-edit-

And yes, Ego Weaponry is pretty decent, it just gets overshadows by Ego Blade Frenzy and Ego Blade Breach which are both superior.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hmmm...I am thinking of making a Tk Blades/Electricity build, taking Ego Form as my passive

Thoughts? (don't just say it will be teh sux. that is what the CO forums are for)

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hmmm...I am thinking of making a Tk Blades/Electricity build, taking Ego Form as my passive

Thoughts? (don't just say it will be teh sux. that is what the CO forums are for)

My thought is that trying to split a build across two damage types (In this case it's Energy/Particle crossed with Dimensional/Ego) is always inefficient.

It's not that I think it will suck, it's that I think you will not end up using electrical ranged attacks and ego melee attacks in equal amounts, and trying to stat for both of them will leave you weak overall. I bet you'll end up not using one of the sets, and since ego melee is fragile and relies on you killing stuff really quickly or dying, I bet you will end up just using electrical ranged attacks.

My experiences with Ego Blades is that it is my least forgiving build that I play. It's powerful but if I were to dump half my powers for a ranged energy set, and try to gear for a reasonable amount of End/Rec to support them while still keeping my Dex/Ego high, I would probably die a lot more.

It could still be viable, but it will be unnecessarily painful.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

My thought is that trying to split a build across two damage types (In this case it's Energy/Particle crossed with Dimensional/Ego) is always inefficient.

It's not that I think it will suck, it's that I think you will not end up using electrical ranged attacks and ego melee attacks in equal amounts, and trying to stat for both of them will leave you weak overall. I bet you'll end up not using one of the sets, and since ego melee is fragile and relies on you killing stuff really quickly or dying, I bet you will end up just using electrical ranged attacks.

My experiences with Ego Blades is that it is my least forgiving build that I play. It's powerful but if I were to dump half my powers for a ranged energy set, and try to gear for a reasonable amount of End/Rec to support them while still keeping my Dex/Ego high, I would probably die a lot more.

Hmmmmm

I was thinking of taking Electricity END builder, Ego Frenzy, ego breach, and ego form, and then filling the rest out with electricity attacks (with maybe tk eruption)

Should I instead take electric form and get the clicky for ego form?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Hmmmmm

I was thinking of taking Electricity END builder, Ego Frenzy, ego breach, and ego form, and then filling the rest out with electricity attacks (with maybe tk eruption)

Should I instead take electric form and get the clicky for ego form?

Yes, that would be better.

Ego Form is all in.

If you're playing in Electric Form and you have Gigabolt you can do whatever you want with the rest of your power selection and be fine for the tough spots (lol gigaspam)

But if you have a half-assed TK blades build you're going to die whenever you come up against a tough supervillain.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My thoughts on making a multi-set character like you are trying to do lately Arch is that you should build a viable character up and then start adding in the second power set later for theme or whatever.

Trying to level a character from two unrelated sets that lack synergy is just painful. So start leveling as Ego Blades or Electricity and when he gets to level 20ish or so start taking powers from the other set. Once he gets to 40 you can always respec him into your dream hybrid build.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My thoughts on making a multi-set character like you are trying to do lately Arch is that you should build a viable character up and then start adding in the second power set later for theme or whatever.

Trying to level a character from two unrelated sets that lack synergy is just painful. So start leveling as Ego Blades or Electricity and when he gets to level 20ish or so start taking powers from the other set. Once he gets to 40 you can always respec him into your dream hybrid build.

I am sad that multi-set characters have such little synergy in this game

But I see your point

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

But I see your point

Most of the frameworks have some attacks that will synergize well with other stuff from other sets within your framework. There are some cross-framework attacks that synergize due to sharing the same damage type (Try Electrical Form with Concussor Beams!) but you keep wanting to mix damage categories and as Pony already pointed out, that usually is not very great.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

But I see your point

Most of the frameworks have some attacks that will synergize well with other stuff from other sets within your framework. There are some cross-framework attacks that synergize due to sharing the same damage type (Try Electrical Form with Concussor Beams!) but you keep wanting to mix damage categories and as Pony already pointed out, that usually is not very great.

I want more things like...um the clicky from Celestial that just straight up improves ALL damage, not a specific type.

I think that would go a LONG way towards helping build a lot of synergy, and allow for more "flavorful" builds, if you get my drift.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

But I see your point

I want more things like...um the clicky from Celestial that just straight up improves ALL damage, not a specific type.

I think that would go a LONG way towards helping build a lot of synergy, and allow for more "flavorful" builds, if you get my drift.

All of the clicky "active offense" powers do a general damage buff, but you're never going to see a passive that gives a flat damage boost to all damage types.

There are two kinds, the kind that gives a boost to a single damage type (Ego Form) and the kind that gives a boost to a whole damage category (Ice Form, Shadow Form, Seraphim).

Passives like Quarry and Targeting Computer can boost the efficiency of all your attacks, but they do not in and of themselves boost damage.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No offense intended but I genuinely cannot fathom why one would bother with the CO forums.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morbid curiosity comes to mind.

At least for myself.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    No offense intended but I genuinely cannot fathom why one would bother with the CO forums.

Hopefully convincing the devs to ignore some of the insanity? :P

Phoenix-D on