As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

1131415161719»

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was rather unimpressed with the Droid 2 as well. I think I am just going to stick with my Droid 1 until LTE dropps on Verizon. I figure it has be sometime within the next 2 years.

That_Guy on
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can anyone recommend me a good note/reminder widget? I just need something I can quickly jot a few to-dos into and that I can read at a glance on my home screen.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can anyone recommend me a good note/reminder widget? I just need something I can quickly jot a few to-dos into and that I can read at a glance on my home screen.

Astrid has a widget and it's pretty great To-Do list app. There is also GTask which connects to your Google Calendar tasks, that also has a widget.

I personally use Pure Calendar (I think it's a couple bucks though) that gives a widget timeline of things in your Google Calendar. It also has syncing with Astrid or GTask if you still choice to use either of those. It's also skinnable or the background can be made transparent which is what sold me on it.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cool, I'll check those out. Thanks

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    astrid is the best in my opinion, and it can also integrate with google calendars!

Snork on
  • GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any more impressions these new Froyo shenanigans? Maybe of the Bugless Beast variety?
    I hate re-installing and I'm nervous the volume number is so low. :?
    I really want chrome2phone but I don't know why else I really care. Apps2SD saves the apk but not any data which is pretty meh.

Glitch on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not running BB, but Froyo can run flash, which is pretty nice. Over all it's cleaner. The Car Home is better. The call log is more manageable.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited June 2010
    I'm not running BB, but Froyo can run flash, which is pretty nice. Over all it's cleaner. The Car Home is better. The call log is more manageable.

I am really torn on this whole mobile flash. There are big glaring pro's as far as cool shit with video playback, games and apps that one couldn't do without it. That much is obvious. But I run with FlashBlock on my PC because people abuse the shit out of flash and make big dumb flashing ads everywhere that make noise and float around the screen. I really don't want that on my phone when shit is hard enough to read already.

I am all for cleaner and more manageable though. :winky: 2.2 does seem to be damn fast compared to 2.1 but I'm waiting to hear that things like wifi and such are rock-solid before I fire off. I really hate losing text message backlog and reconfiguring a bazillion apps.

Glitch on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The option for flash it to toggle it on demand, so it doesn't run rampant.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited June 2010
    The option for flash it to toggle it on demand, so it doesn't run rampant.

that is very good to hear. i wasn't sure if it was or not.

Glitch on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ive been running BB since it released 2.2 and it works great. Wifi works, OC, Tether, Auto Update, ADW.Launcher... everything. The only thing that didnt transfer over was gameloft game. I havent tried to reinstall it yet so I am not sure if they would block it but other than that it works smoothly for what I was using the droid for before. And I love 5 screens!

Jubal77 on
    edited June 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Ive been running BB since it released 2.2 and it works great. Wifi works, OC, Tether, Auto Update, ADW.Launcher... everything. The only thing that didnt transfer over was gameloft game. I havent tried to reinstall it yet so I am not sure if they would block it but other than that it works smoothly for what I was using the droid for before. And I love 5 screens!

you bombed data and cache when you installed, then?

Glitch on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question for any droid owners with Google Voice... uhmm... does it work? My wife is Canadian. She calls her mom in Canada a lot. A LOT. So we have to have a ton of minutes just to cover that time. Verizon won't let you add Canadian numbers to Friends and Family, even if you get the Canada Plus plan. So we're stuck paying for both, whereas if her mother could just move across the border we'd be paying for less minutes (she'd be on our Friends And Family list), and not for the Canada+ plan, all of which would save us enough to cover the Droid Data plan with little change in our monthly bill.

So my new devious plan is to use Google Voice instead, at the very least just for her calls to and from her mother. Will this work? Will the Google Voice calls count against our minutes or are they on the data plan? I'm guessing not, or there's no reason for us to have any airtime minutes at all? Its hard to figure out what actually works in these stupid things and what doesn't.

DigDug2000 on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I believe Google Voice technically counts as part of your data plan, as does Skype. Skype also does Skype-to-phone pretty cheap, I believe, which might help you.

yalborap on
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    I believe Google Voice technically counts as part of your data plan, as does Skype. Skype also does Skype-to-phone pretty cheap, I believe, which might help you.

Google voice counts against your minutes.

Skype will count against your minutes too if you use it to call domestic phone numbers.

Epyon9283 on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Epyon9283 wrote: »

Google voice counts against your minutes.

Skype will count against your minutes too if you use it to call domestic phone numbers.
    Damn. I figured it was something shitty like that. As much as people hate AT&T, Verizon pisses me off like none other most of the time.

DigDug2000 on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My understanding is that you can add your Google Voice number to your Friends and Family list, though. Thus, if your wife and her mother use that number for their calls, it'd be basically free.

gilrain on
  • vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Question for any droid owners with Google Voice... uhmm... does it work? My wife is Canadian. She calls her mom in Canada a lot. A LOT. So we have to have a ton of minutes just to cover that time. Verizon won't let you add Canadian numbers to Friends and Family, even if you get the Canada Plus plan. So we're stuck paying for both, whereas if her mother could just move across the border we'd be paying for less minutes (she'd be on our Friends And Family list), and not for the Canada+ plan, all of which would save us enough to cover the Droid Data plan with little change in our monthly bill.

So my new devious plan is to use Google Voice instead, at the very least just for her calls to and from her mother. Will this work? Will the Google Voice calls count against our minutes or are they on the data plan? I'm guessing not, or there's no reason for us to have any airtime minutes at all? Its hard to figure out what actually works in these stupid things and what doesn't.

Wait... Why is this a droid question. I have an iPhone and call Canada on via google voice but google voice isn't a voip service.
    Unless it's different on droid it works like this:

1. goto google voice app of choice
    2. Dial number of choice in Canada
    3. Tell google voice which USA based number u want (in this case your handset which is your google android device) ...
    4. Google voice calls that number. Your android device rings
    5. Answer that call.
    Now let's say u are in las Vegas like me. Your gv number is 702-555-5544 well this number calls you so it's a local call using your minutes, not data
    6. Google voice tells younthe cost of the call (in this case free) and the number in Canada rings.

But that's how I understand how gv works. Maybe android devices work different but gv isn't voip so doesn't use data...

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    RoyceSraphim's guide to running dvds on your droid
    Download and install Handbrake for windows with GUI
    Download and install DVD54
    insert dvd
    select dvd as source
    select Ipod legacy settings
    Convert
    create folder in Droid to seperate media
    drop
    ???
    Profit

What is DVD54?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone else had problems with their Droid sometimes misreporting battery life? Mine just said it was at 5%.

When it'd been on a charger for several hours.

Is this a wonky battery, wonky charger, wonky internals, or what?

yalborap on
  • MimasMimas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When mine does that I can power it off and on and the battery shows full again.

Mimas on
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone else had problems with their Droid sometimes misreporting battery life? Mine just said it was at 5%.

When it'd been on a charger for several hours.

Is this a wonky battery, wonky charger, wonky internals, or what?
    This happened on my first Droid about, oh, once a month or so. I'd look at it and be like, "ohshit, what's eating battery?" I'd reboot and, woo, battery's back.

I had that Droid replaced for an unrelated reason, and the new one hasn't done it since. I've also switched to CyanogenMod, though, so it could be either change that fixed it.

gilrain on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's been happening to me a bit lately. Didn't know if I should blame the battery or the always-sorta-loose battery door or the fact that I didn't have it plugged in all the way. I guess it's a common thing, so I'll stop worrying about it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    RoyceSraphim's guide to running dvds on your droid
    Download and install Handbrake for windows with GUI
    Download and install DVD54
    insert dvd
    select dvd as source
    select Ipod legacy settings
    Convert
    create folder in Droid to seperate media
    drop
    ???
    Profit

What is DVD54?

Damn damn damn, I meant dvd 43, Going to Fix now

edit: GMaster7, I think its the battery not having a good contact with the phone. A few times, I would get a red batter outline with a question mark in the middle. Sort of made me think of a crazy riddler parody.

RoyceSraphim on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So if physical keyboard and screen size are non-issues, Droid 2 or Droid X? Is there a memory or processor advantage on the Droid X over the Droid 2?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can add your Google Voice number to your Friends and Family list, though. Thus, if your wife and her mother use that number for their calls, it'd be basically free.
    Yes. This. So you have to at least have 900 minutes, which is the sucky part for me. I have 450 minutes and would love to use GV since I always get very close to going over the 450, but if I upgraded to 900 minutes I really wouldn't *need* GV.

Spacemilk on
    edited June 2010
    Also has anyone ever downloaded a ringtone from a Youtube video? I did that yesterday, on a whim, and this is what happened:

-Got a text message with the ringtone as an attachment. The attachment was displayed as a "play" button.
    -Clicked the play button, the ringtone started playing (my phone showed it as *name*.mp3). When I touched my "list" button at the bottom of my Droid, I had an option to copy the attachment to my SD card so I did.
    -Went through my Music folder for my phone. Wasn't there.
    -Went into settings and looked at all my ringtones. Wasn't there.
    -Downloaded Ringdroid and used it to look at all my sound files. Wasn't there.

So how do I find/use this ringtone? Supposedly it's on my SD card but I have no idea where it is or how to access it and set it as a ringtone. My phone plays the file just fine and recognizes it as a .mp3 file but once it's saved to my SD card it shows up nowhere. When I plugged my phone into my computer, it can't find .mp3 files anywhere on my SD card.

Help!

Spacemilk on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, shit. I've been posting in the Android thread by accident, not realizing there was a separate Droid thread.

Is there anything new at all concerning when they might announce the Droid 2? Seems like they'd have to push it back to September at least by this point.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited June 2010
    Eh, really the Android thread is the place to be. This was mostly a prerelease, postrelease thread surrounding the hype around the original Droid.

gilrain on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So if physical keyboard and screen size are non-issues, Droid 2 or Droid X? Is there a memory or processor advantage on the Droid X over the Droid 2?

according to the leaked information about the droid 2, it basically has the same processor/GPU/battery/memory/etc. as the Droid X. without anything official there's no way to know for sure. Sit tight for a month -- either the Droid X comes out with no sign of the Droid 2 on the horizon (in which case snag the Droid X), or the Droid 2 gets an official reveal and you can then make a fully informed decision.

Dehumanized on
    edited June 2010

according to the leaked information about the droid 2, it basically has the same processor/GPU/battery/memory/etc. as the Droid X. without anything official there's no way to know for sure. Sit tight for a month -- either the Droid X comes out with no sign of the Droid 2 on the horizon (in which case snag the Droid X), or the Droid 2 gets an official reveal and you can then make a fully informed decision.

Damnitt, I want to speculate NOW! I also wish I could try the Droid X keyboard for two weeks or something before blind purchasing it. I've never used a screen keyboard for any length of time, but whenever I borrow one from someone to play with they make me want to kill myself.

Darkewolfe on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Also has anyone ever downloaded a ringtone from a Youtube video? I did that yesterday, on a whim, and this is what happened:

-Got a text message with the ringtone as an attachment. The attachment was displayed as a "play" button.
    -Clicked the play button, the ringtone started playing (my phone showed it as *name*.mp3). When I touched my "list" button at the bottom of my Droid, I had an option to copy the attachment to my SD card so I did.

So how do I find/use this ringtone? Supposedly it's on my SD card but I have no idea where it is or how to access it and set it as a ringtone. My phone plays the file just fine and recognizes it as a .mp3 file but once it's saved to my SD card it shows up nowhere. When I plugged my phone into my computer, it can't find .mp3 files anywhere on my SD card.

Help!
    Go to the text message, long hold on the empty space in the message to pull up options, choose save attachment to SD Card.

Now open up your file browser and go to your SD card, it should be in the download folder. Copy it, create a "media" folder, inside that create an "audio" folder, inside that create "notifications" and "ringtones" folders, paste it into each of those. It should now be on your list when you go to choose either.

JAEF on
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Spacemilk wrote: »

Help!
    Go to the text message, long hold on the empty space in the message to pull up options, choose save attachment to SD Card.

Now open up your file browser and go to your SD card, it should be in the download folder. Copy it, create a "media" folder, inside that create an "audio" folder, inside that create "notifications" and "ringtones" folders, paste it into each of those. It should now be on your list when you go to choose either.
    You are amazing! It didn't work *exactly* like that but for whatever reason there was an easier way:

First of all, I should've realized that I was using Handcent SMS which won't necessarily be friendly about attachments, since it's a third party app. I used the Droid's default messaging app and tried long-holding on the empty space - that option wasn't there. Frustrated, I tried again and I guess this time I long-held on the attachment itself, because one of the options that came up was "save as a ringtone". Voila! I have a new ringtone! Thanks much! <3

Spacemilk on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh neat I didn't know handcent did that. Well if you ever want to load anything from your computer or THE INTERNET now you know how.

JAEF on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Damnitt, I want to speculate NOW! I also wish I could try the Droid X keyboard for two weeks or something before blind purchasing it. I've never used a screen keyboard for any length of time, but whenever I borrow one from someone to play with they make me want to kill myself.
    What screen keyboards have you been using? Because the Droid X actually has a multitouch keyboard which, if I understand correctly, is a first for android. There's also swype, which caused me to longer care if my droid has a physical keyboard or not

Snork on
    edited June 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

What screen keyboards have you been using? Because the Droid X actually has a multitouch keyboard which, if I understand correctly, is a first for android. There's also swype, which caused me to longer care if my droid has a physical keyboard or not

It may all be irrelevant. I no longer have an upgrade available (I'm on a family plan with basically every person we could think to add), and the next line to be up isn't up till January. The Droid X offering says anything that becomes eligible in 2010 can take advantage of an early upgrade, but that just hedges me out. I may just be ebaying something now. Gonna call Verizon and beg them to let me in on the deal.

Darkewolfe on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I accidentally yanked my Droid off of my desk while it was charging and it crashed down onto the metal base of my Ikea lamp. Screen went blank and when I did a battery pull it wouldn't turn back on. Backlight lit up, but I couldn't do anything and it never started up. I was upset all night until I read somewhere that I could try taking the battery out for an hour and then putting it back in. No insurance on the phone, so I was prepared to march into the local VZW store tomorrow and beg for mercy. Alas.. the battery thing worked, and my Droid is back in action! I was so thrilled that I had to come to this thread and tell everyone. Everything seems okay.. maybe the screen is shifted one half-millimeter to the right.. is that possible? Hm. Let's just hope that there are no long-term ramifications!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G