As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] SPACE COMBAT CONFIRMED

• AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes they've said plenty of times that your choices aren't limited by your faction, so you can be a complete asshole in the Republic and a kinda nice guy in the Sith. I'm guessing there is limitations on that in that you can't be truly good if you're in the Sith Empire, just more leaning that way, and you can't be truly diabolically evil as a member of the Republic.

I'm guessing an evil Republic character would be an "ends justifies the means" type person. This isn't just pure speculation though, they have specifically said that your alignement isn't completely limited by your faction.

Akoot on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was prognosticating more to the point of allowing your moral choices to shape your abilities, ala KOTOR. I'm sure you could be an altruistic bounty hunter, or a solopsistic smuggler. However I find it unlikely that any Sith Inquisitor would be anything but calculating and well...mean. I'm sure choices work on a gradient but in the end they should be self serving. The darkside is the embodiment of the slippery slope moralistic argument. If you do bad in the name of good, you're not good (according to Jedi tenants).

What I want are not so apparent dialogue choices, Emporeresque doublespeak, lies, and half truths.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It seems the republic gets the Twi'lek but then the one in that video has some rude tits

What I am curious about is could you be a bounty hunter be semi good and it affects the talents you take?
    As it does in KotoR to a point

Brainleech on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you guys check out the Bounty Hunter video offered, the Bounty Hunter actually does appear to bring a Czerka employee to justice, turning down a bribe, and showing some repulsion by his actions. It makes more sense that a Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent would have more moral leeway considering they aren't involved with the dark side.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Thats deliberate, as it can scale quite well.

Remember, the general MMO graphical rule of thumb is the games graphics needs to run on a 4yr old mid-level system.

I imagine high-def with all the bells and whistles will look quite good.

The character models are weirdly proportioned though. All the men have huge shoulders and tiny waists. It's like they went for a cartoony look but stopped partway through.

captaink on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's good to know I can be a greedy, back-stabbin', murderous, son of a bitch Smuggler.
    Dreams really do come true <3

Bloodshed on
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forgot all about the player ship element of this game, but after watching the E3 video previews... I am going to play the hell out of this game. Christ the dialog options, multiple characters to control, and the possibility of badass space combat? Yes please.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think they said there's no space combat.

Though, I'm willing to bet that could be an expansion.

Henroid on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    God, it'll be SW:G all over again! :P

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    There is a lot Galaxies did right before they lost their minds.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There is a lot Galaxies did right before they lost their minds.

Such as? Galaxies was a mess long before the NGE or even the CU reared its head.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes, it was. But there were some very cool things about it, is all I am saying.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And he asked what those cool things were.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    I'll just list one, and go on later if it seems important enough to belabor (it doesn't seem so to me). I really liked the dancer/musician/image designer parts of the game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jump to lightspeed was cool. An expansion that is not just more of the same is a very good thing. :^:

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Even without space combat my own ship is just awesome and lights up all my pleasure centers.

captaink on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I saw the player character ships. And the fact that there are apparently multiple crew members walking/ staying in them. I cried.

TEARS OF HAPPINESS. AND LOVE.

My Sarcastic Jedi Knight will have friends. Straight-man friends.

Rchanen on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Although part of me wishes they would import something like Spore's galaxy ship creator to allow people to build their own ships (even if they had sort of default ship interiors) then it would be pretty cool. I'll be okay with default ships with minor customization, especially if there is the potential for bigger, better ships later.

Terrendos on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Although part of me wishes they would import something like Spore's galaxy ship creator to allow people to build their own ships (even if they had sort of default ship interiors) then it would be pretty cool. I'll be okay with default ships with minor customization, especially if there is the potential for bigger, better ships later.

I would not mind expansions that later allow for space combat. And customization of ships, etc. etc. That would be cool (and would make smuggling the best damn class in the MMO)

I have no problem playing this game and giving Bioware the time they need to get shit right before release. And I get the feeling from Bioware that they seem to want to get shit right.

Though combat still looks clunky. But considering all the other coolness, if it got released today, with the bad combat and with all the other good stuff. I'd buy and play it. Play it into the ground.

Rchanen on
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man I just want fucking trophies in my ship. I want to invite my friends over to my ship and casually lead them into the main room and gesture to my WALL OF FUCKING LIGHTSABERS I've taken from the Jedi I've slain.

Maybe when you mouse over them it explains the circumstances or some shit, I dunno.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Obiwaankneobi, shot in the back. Repeatedly."

reVerse on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I checked out all the E3 videos that GameTrailers had up yesterday and wow. There's a lot going on there that filled me with hope. The graphics look like TF2 style, which doesn't bother me. It keeps some silliness in the game and doesn't make it super serious. I still want to know more about the overall multi-player aspect but it's coming along good.

JustinSane07 on
    edited June 2010
    They've said that everything in the game is instanced right? Kinda like how DDO is, then?

Henroid on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm fairly sure the planets are supposed to be big seamless overworlds.

reVerse on
    edited June 2010
    That's cool if they are. I thought I was going to hate how DDO is instanced in every way, but it ended up not bothering me one bit. So if TOR ended up that way (which, apparently it isn't?) I'd be fine. And I'd be fine if it's big open world.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

The novelty of doing that has worn off for me. I don't like it when every point of interest on a planet is crammed into 10 square kilometers. Most normal cities are bigger than that. It just feels wrong.

I would prefer it if there was a world map, but choosing a map pin or whatever would take you to a much smaller map with only one PoI on it.

Clicking on the map in an area with no PoI would take you to some small random map with nothing on it but a place to land your ship.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DDO works the way it does because it's not a huge overarching storyline, but instead a lot of disparate (generally) one-off storylines scattered about larger hub zones.

I'd imagine TOR will work more like LOTRO does with its storyline stuff.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

The novelty of doing that has worn off for me. I don't like it when every point of interest on a planet is crammed into 10 square kilometers. Most normal cities are bigger than that. It just feels wrong.

I would prefer it if there was a world map, but choosing a map pin or whatever would take you to a much smaller map with only one PoI on it.

Clicking on the map in an area with no PoI would take you to some small random map with nothing on it but a place to land your ship.

The lead writer guy actually addresses this in one of the interviews, saying exploration will be rewarded in some fashion and there is shit out there to marvel at and whatnot, not just kilometers and kilometers of wasteland/forest/ice.

NerfThatMan on
    edited June 2010
    That is almost worse. It means they crammed every square meter with junk. You will be able to see one PoI from another.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • RyanReddRyanRedd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    They've said that everything in the game is instanced right? Kinda like how DDO is, then?

I believe there's like, 3 realms or whatever. There's

1) The open-world spaces where you can encounter other players, like the hub cities in WoW or more spread out, then there's

2) The battlegrounds or whatever they called them at E3, which is the PvP zones, and then

3) The instanced dungeon "story" part of the game, the main part I guess, where you level up and things remain the same in the instances after you've completed them (i.e. Giant Space Spider slain and remains slain).

Did I get any of that right?

RyanRedd on
    That's good. That's a good one.
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The developers have emphasized that each of the worlds are massive, with exploration playing a key role. After reading and watching pretty much everything that has been produced about this game, I think that the open world, non-instanced part of the game is the norm. Instanced areas are more rare.

Melkster on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was under the impression that the bigger planets like Ord Mantell would be open world, and you could meet up with people there, out and about on the surface, and that would be, along with city hubs like Coruscant, the open areas where players meet up.

Battlegrounds, or warzones as they called it, would be the PvP aspect, and then there would be instances in the form of newbie areas (origin worlds), dungeons, and story arc stuff.

I'm not totally against the idea of a more instanced MMO, but I kinda like running into people randomly in the world as a way of meeting people to group with and shit. Doing it in cities lacks a bit of flavour I guess. And if they have these huge environments instanced, it's going to become very barren to be sure.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the bigger planets like Ord Mantell would be open world, and you could meet up with people there, out and about on the surface, and that would be, along with city hubs like Coruscant, the open areas where players meet up.

Battlegrounds, or warzones as they called it, would be the PvP aspect, and then there would be instances in the form of newbie areas (origin worlds), dungeons, and story arc stuff.

I'm not totally against the idea of a more instanced MMO, but I kinda like running into people randomly in the world as a way of meeting people to group with and shit. Doing it in cities lacks a bit of flavour I guess. And if they have these huge environments instanced, it's going to become very barren to be sure.

Ord Mantell is a starting world, I think, for Smugglers and Troopers, and I'm pretty sure it isn't instanced...

I think there are storyline things in non-instanced zones, I think there are in areas that show (or don't show) different things for different players depending on choice and progression.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    I am in favor of instances only when required. I like the possibility of interacting with strangers and making new friends.

Contiguous map spaces just are starting to get on my nerves is all. They make the world artificially smaller than it should be by trying to make it bigger.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really hope it's basically one world and few instance zones (other than dungeons and such). I hope they make the worlds big enough so they don't have to instance everything.

The most fun aspect of mmos for me is randomly happening upon allies or enemies while doing stuff out on a planet. I dislike segrated zones like, this is the "pvp zone" and this is the "quest zone". Agian WoW's pvp servers have it exactly the way I like it. Big open worlds were you can have many random encounters in many zones that are static and not multiple instanced. Going out to a zone looking for a fight with the opposing faction or working on trade skills or missions. I'd prefer lots of servers to lots of instances within the game world.

Sonork on
    edited June 2010
    That is almost worse. It means they crammed every square meter with junk. You will be able to see one PoI from another.

What a fucking negative nancy you are. :lol:

NerfThatMan on
    edited June 2010

I want to like it, I want to like it so bad. But every week that goes by makes me worry that much more!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I want to like it, I want to like it so bad. But every week that goes by makes me worry that much more!

We all want the new MMOs coming out in the next year, primarily SWTOR, which is created in a much beloved IP universe, to be done right so we can all stop playing, or at least, play less, WoW and try putting roots in a fresh environment with friends and new classes and experiences.
    I know I'm looking forward to my Twi'lek Jedi Knight kicking ass and taking names with PA folk and the girlfriend and anyone else I meet on the myriad worlds they have lined up for us.

We just want the industry, and specifically EA and Bioware, to live up to our expectations.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited June 2010
    So in other words, yes; I need a hug.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What's with them wearing Clone Trooper armor?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
This discussion has been closed.