As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

american marble [chat]ament

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    John, do you want to talk about it?

i don't know, james... do i?

James was not the best guess.

well, mike, i'm sorry. i'm doing the best i can.

You are so bad at this.

shut up george

Organichu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    I like reading Magic cards, but all this discussion about it is just not interesting to me.

moar cards less words.

Once upon a time there was this.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=107302&type=card

It got a dye job and became this.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=193439&type=card

A lot of old iconic cards got similar treatment, like

Image.ashx?multiverseid=108906&type=card to Image.ashx?multiverseid=191102&type=card

or

Image.ashx?multiverseid=159264&type=card to Image.ashx?multiverseid=50461&type=card

Thom: Yeah, totally. I mean, white at the time was just completely off the rails. Armageddon, Balance, Wrath of God, Swords to Plowshares, Disenchant? White could just level the entire table until nothing was left except Serra Angels.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well, I was probably only going to get ME 2. Is it a traditional Bioware RPG, like KOTOR or more action-focused? About how long is the game?

Does anyone know? I worry about DA: Awakenings or Bioshock 2 situations.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I was probably only going to get ME 2. Is it a traditional Bioware RPG, like KOTOR or more action-focused? About how long is the game?

Does anyone know? I worry about DA: Awakenings or Bioshock 2 situations.

More action packed (been described as gears with a plot, though it retains some RPG elements, they're simplified to improve simpicity and combat).

About 35 - 40 hours.

Leitner on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Captain Jack in Davy Jones' Locker is so good :D

BobCesca on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am probably going to end up getting into Magic. A starter deck is relatively cheap and I know loads of folks from my college's gamesoc who play.

Tav on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    <3

chris does extended magazines up your total ammunition count, or just the amount of ammo held in a magazine? i am doing pretty well with the SCAR but running out of ammo is my bane

just ammo in the magazine. You need scavenger pro for more ammo overall.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I bought a soda maker for the bakery. If it works out I'll get an adapter and a tank to get around the stupid proprietary CO2 tank thread bullcrap. They sell their 20 oz CO2 tanks for $30, I can get a 5 lb. tank filled for $20.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think Mass Effect 2 loses a bit in terms of its' RPG trappings (well a lot) but the action is so much better and interrupts are so much fun that it ultimately was nearly as good of an experience for me as ME1 was.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ME 2 is still very much a bioware RPG, it just has fewer of the RPG cliche gameplay elements that I don't like that much anyway

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I bought a soda maker for the bakery. If it works out I'll get an adapter and a tank to get around the stupid proprietary CO2 tank thread bullcrap. They sell their 20 oz CO2 tanks for $30, I can get a 5 lb. tank filled for $20.

this is how you spend your saturday afternoons, huh

lording your soda machine over me

Organichu on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    japan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I don't get it, are soccer balls just incredibly hard to aim or something? It seems like 90% of the shots at the goal, despite the goals large size, completely whiff it and about 50% of the passes don't even end up near their intended target.

I though these were supposed to be world class athletes?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    japan wrote: »

The fact that they're refering to it as racist, and the police visited is beyond offensive.

Leitner on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    magic is so cool because their philosophies of what each card color is about are so articulated.

even if it does seem to go off balance pretty often :v

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    I am probably going to end up getting into Magic. A starter deck is relatively cheap and I know loads of folks from my college's gamesoc who play.

There are a lot of things you can do to keep your expenditures reasonable. These rules are a good way to start:

1) Try to get free commons from your friends.
    2) Don't ever spend money singles - trade or use store credit only.
    3) Only buy cards on tournament days.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome, that game length is fairly good for the reduced price. Downloading later, thanks Steam sale!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I don't get it, are soccer balls just incredibly hard to aim or something? It seems like 90% of the shots at the goal, despite the goals large size, completely whiff it and about 50% of the passes don't even end up near their intended target.

I imagine a lot of it is nerves and stress

like how cops are trained in shooting all the time but will still go a whole clip without shooting someone when it comes to it

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The whole "ban Mac players from TF2 servers" is, in fact, the dumbest fucking attitude I've ever seen in my life.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly before, it's so fucking rad and amazing.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

people are going to blame the new ball, but watch football long enough and you'll see it's common. it's like an nba player taking a three- let them stand still with no one in their face, and the good ones can knock them down at a rate well over 50%. but if they get harried and people are in their face, that percentage drops considerably. these players, alone on the pitch, can put it in any corner a good deal of the time. but on game day, they usually only have a split second to make their touch, and it's rarely on a stationary or slow rolling ball.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    The whole "ban Mac players from TF2 servers" is, in fact, the dumbest fucking attitude I've ever seen in my life.

What? Are you cereal? People are actually doing this?

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    I can't believe I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly before, it's so fucking rad and amazing.

I really like Keanu Reaves. That movie was quite enjoyable.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Is that still going on?

I'm still not anywhere good enough to play with real people, but that kind of attitude is making me wonder if I even want to. :x

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Doot doot doo.

Installing Exchange 2010.

Feral on

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Oh shit, Steam Sale today is 70% off Mass Effect, 40% off Mass Effect 2.

I never did pick up either of them. Hmmm.

BUY THEM!

Get them both.

ME1 is closer to KOTOR than ME2 is, but they're both more action-oriented than KOTOR was. The level of writing and NPC interaction is about the same. ME1 is about 40-50 hours long if you take the time to do most of the worthwhile side quests, ME2 is slightly shorter.

Mass Effect 1 is an awesome game, and makes Mass Effect 2 much more resonant, plot wise.

In fact, I find the plot of ME1 better overall, although Bioware did a good job (to me, at least) streamlining the extraneous "It's an RPG so it must have this" elements and diversifying the side missions in ME2.

But seriously, $5. You really can't go wrong.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Doot doot doo.

I'm sorry.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

I really like Keanu Reaves. That movie was quite enjoyable.

I think it might replace Requiem for a Dream as my favourite "Drug" movie.

Daxon on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

I imagine a lot of it is nerves and stress

like how cops are trained in shooting all the time but will still go a whole clip without shooting someone when it comes to it

The players have been complaining about the lightness of the ball, which they always do but they may actually have a point this time around since there seem to be more shots than usual going wildly high. The altitude the games are being played at is apparently also a factor.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh Christ, you're right Lawndart. I swore it said $15 on ME1 and $25 for ME2, but yea it's only $5 for the first. Hell with that, I'll get both.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    people are going to blame the new ball, but watch football long enough and you'll see it's common. it's like an nba player taking a three- let them stand still with no one in their face, and the good ones can knock them down at a rate well over 50%. but if they get harried and people are in their face, that percentage drops considerably. these players, alone on the pitch, can put it in any corner a good deal of the time. but on game day, they usually only have a split second to make their touch, and it's rarely on a stationary or slow rolling ball.

Sure, but watching other sports, basketball, hockey, etc, sure they are being harried but they are putting way more shots either on the goal, bouncing off the rim, etc. They don't necessarily go in but they are at least getting close. Half of the soccer shots I've seen miss the goal by a mile.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    japan wrote: »
    The players have been complaining about the lightness of the ball, which they always do but they may actually have a point this time around since there seem to be more shots than usual going wildly high. The altitude the games are being played at is apparently also a factor.

There isn't a universal, official soccer tournament ball? Huh, I kinda figured their would be.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Doot doot doo.

I'm sorry.

Eh, I've done it enough times now that I have a feeling for the major pitfalls.

And I haven't gotten to the part where you assign the SSL certificate to services. That's the annoying shit. It's like... I have one fucking certificate for this one fucking server, but I have to explicitly tell Exchange to use that certificate for the 10 different things Exchange does? And it's all done through the command line? What the fuck, Microsoft?

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    saying ME2's plot is worse seems almost unfair because it never really tried to have one.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

Is that still going on?

I'm still not anywhere good enough to play with real people, but that kind of attitude is making me wonder if I even want to. :x

People are such silly geese.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes.

That is retaaaaaaaaaarded.

Daxon: My favorite drug movies aren't explicitly drug movies. ;)

Feral on

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    John, do you want to talk about it?

i don't know, james... do i?

James was not the best guess.

well, mike, i'm sorry. i'm doing the best i can.

You are so bad at this.

shut up george

You already know my name.

You are tremendously bad at this.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is there a rationale to the banning of Mac people or is it just PC-Mac elitism?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    saying ME2's plot is worse seems almost unfair because it never really tried to have one.

Wait, ME2 doesn't have a plot...?

Er, I thought plot was kind of the point of the ME franchise?

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.