As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Must-Have Scifi Shows

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So Amazon.com is having bunch of different sales on various DVD's and Blu-Rays and I figured since I recently had a big income boost, that I should pick up a few series I've missed.

I currently already own Farscape (<3) and Stargate SG-1, ($77 and $90!!! on Amazon ATM) and I was thinking about picking up the new Battlestar Galactica, since I completely missed that series when it aired and is like $150 for the complete blu-ray package. I'm just curious if this is the full set, or if there were any spinoff series or movies outside of it. Link

I was also going to pick up babylon 5, having missed that too, but not for $260 for the DVD versions :P Especially since I know there's a ton of other stuff in that series as well.

Red Dwarf seems pretty cheap at $90 for the whole kit 'n kaboodle.

Any other series that seem to be cheap on Amazon that I simply must have as a Scifi space opera fan?

Undead Scottsman on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dr. Who maybe. Don't know what the seasons are running on that though.
    Maybe pick up DS9 if you can get it cheap.

see317 on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As far as battlestar galactica goes it has the miniseries and the main series, which is all you need. The only thing it is missing is the TV Movie "The Plan" that came out after the series was over. But the TV movie is terrible, does not add anything to the series and frankly comes off as bad fan fiction (not written by any of the main writers of the show).

And wow they have really increased the price on Babylon 5. Of course the cheap versions I got had really crummy packaging (which seems to be a time warner DVD problem) that damaged some of the DVDs.

frandelgearslip on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ... I was thinking about picking up the new Battlestar Galactica, since I completely missed that series when it aired and is like $150 for the complete blu-ray package. I'm just curious if this is the full set, or if there were any spinoff series or movies outside of it. Link

From the description, that set is complete (to include the miniseries, The Plan, and Razor).

There's the spinoff, Caprica, but I've never watched it and I still feel like a complete person.

Apparently the packaging on the one you linked is pretty hateful, though. Compared to, say, this set which is a more "standard" package (and also seems to include the same content). Of course, this normal version costs $50 more (which would suggest how bad the packaging on the "collectible" one really is).

EDIT: Looking at the amazon.com comments, it suggests that "The Plan" is included in both sets (it's pictured in the one I linked)...it's not well-labelled in the crazy-ass Cylon set, but supposedly it's there. But, like frandelgearslip said, it's not critical either. I just realized I never watched "The Plan" and I honestly don't care. "Razor" was good, IIRC. Really as long as you get the miniseries and the four full seasons, though, you'll be a happy camper.

mcdermott on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Firefly? Firefly.

InHuman on
    edited June 2010
    It should have "Razor" at least. While they advertised it as a tv movie, They funded it out of the 4.0 season budget and it was included in the 4.0 dvd.

Caprica has little to do with battlestar galactica, really. There about as related as Mork and Mindy is to Happy Days.

frandelgearslip on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lost: The Complete Collection hits Blu-ray and DVD on August 24th, and on Amazon right now it's priced at $200 and $150, respectively. EDIT: Missed the "space opera" part

If it makes it easier to swallow, you can pick up all the B5 seasons for about $30 on half.com

And you need to see B5, really

UnbreakableVow on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    B5 the whole series was on the amazon goldbox and I'm kinda pissed at myself for not getting it. I could use a nice long show to invest in.

lost is a good call.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2010
    InHuman wrote: »
    Firefly? Firefly.

Its only $27 dollars on amazon. But if your going to buy firefly you have to buy "serenity" also.

I am in the minority though believing that Firefly was one of the most overrated tv series of all time.

frandelgearslip on
    edited June 2010
    I like Firefly and Serenity

They're worth owning, and I have both

But man, people worship them to unbelievable lengths

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    You can get the previous packaging version of Babylon 5 for $174 from one of amazons partners. And as others have mentioned there are other places to get the 5 seasons for cheap. If your serious about the Space Opera Babylon 5 is kinda of a must have.

Don't listen to that silly goose on the amazon review who lists like 20 different babylon 5 products to buy (and probably wanks off to a poster of Ivanova). All you need is the 5 seasons and maybe the television movie collection (and that is primarily for the Pilot movie). Everything else he listed is stand alone stuff of varying quality.

frandelgearslip on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Farscape.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited June 2010
    (and probably wanks off to a poster of Ivanova).

Who doesn't?

UnbreakableVow on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do you need to own this stuff just for the sake of owning it? Quite a lot is available (for example, all of Red Dwarf) on Netflix Instant Streaming.

Dehumanized on
    edited June 2010
    Do you need to own this stuff just for the sake of owning it? Quite a lot is available (for example, all of Red Dwarf) on Netflix Instant Streaming.

The same reason somebody buys a book rather than just go to the library. Also Neither battlestar galactica nor babylon 5 is available for streaming. :P
    Farscape.
    I currently already own Farscape

frandelgearslip on
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Firefly? Firefly.
    This. And Serenity.

Also the new series of Doctor Who (2005 and onwards).

If you like SG-1, Stargate Atlantis has it's moments. Though season 1 is probably the best.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    FARSC--
    I currently already own Farscape (<3)

Good man!

Echo on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The same reason somebody buys a book rather than just go to the library. Also Neither battlestar galactica nor babylon 5 is available for streaming. :P
    Farscape.
    I currently already own Farscape

I fails at reading. :(

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't actually own Firefly (I have Serenity) but I've seen the series at least 3 times so I'm in no rush to buy it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What about Futurama? May not be your traditional space opera, but it's still entertaining to watch.

see317 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a huge problem with TV sci-fi. Most of it makes me cringe. And I speak as somebody who loves sci-fi books.

BSG nearly avoided it, but the ending annihilated what goodwill I had built up.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Firefly? Firefly.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    Firefly and BSG have already been mentioned, but I'll mention them again.

I think there's enough awesome in Dollhouse to warrant a mention, too, even if it was inconsistent and ended pretty sloppily.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seconding Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, if its in that affordable range. Just tough out the first season (which isn't even all that bad compared to the first seasons of other Trek series and even has one of the best episodes of the series) and it really starts rolling.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
    edited June 2010
    Seconding Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, if its in that affordable range. Just tough out the first season (which isn't even all that bad compared to the first seasons of other Trek series and even has one of the best episodes of the series) and it really starts rolling.

It makes Babylon 5 look cheap (about $320 dollars from amazon, regular price $519 D: ). Then again it is seven seasons which is a lot longer then most of the shows we are talking about. While DS9 is far and away the best Star Trek series the ratio of great to terrible is still in the 50/50 range.

frandelgearslip on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    $519?? holy shit!! And they wonder why people pirate. DS9 is the best Star Trek series ever made IMO but great googly boogly!

Anyway, Space: Above and Beyond is also a great space opera. I am so gay for James Morrison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBndSv8qaE&playnext_from=TL&videos=MA-I1v56dv0

VoodooV on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Space: Above and Beyond was ok, but I felt the universe was never properly explored or fleshed out. Might have something to do with the fact the series was cancelled after, what, 12 episodes?
    Also, the fact the Chiggis had interstellar spaceflight and could reach Earth back in Medieval times, but a thousand years later when we have interstellar spaceflight not only are we about on par with them technologically but they never even bothered to openly contact us and say hello in all that time until the "surprise attack". That never made an ounce of sense to me.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like Firefly and Serenity

They're worth owning, and I have both

But man, people worship them to unbelievable lengths

They're both definitely good and they do get more credit than they deserve, but to be be fair they deserve a pretty huge amount of credit :P

I think the worship/defense reaction is largely lingering rage over FOX being unbelievablely retarded. Well and the way networks in general cancel any show that isn't a gigantic blockbuster from day one.

HappylilElf on
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd put in a call for Fringe and Caprica, respectively. Caprica is a bit involved if you haven't already watched Battlestar Gallactica, but it ends up playing a bit like a film noir world filled with burgeoning corporate intrigue and robot tech. The internet is amazingly well portrayed in a VR form, so that representation alone kept me watching through its first season, as they do a lot of interesting work within the mixing of the human soul and AI. Definitely interesting, but who knows if it'll get a second season.

Fringe is fuckawesome. It starts out a little X-Files science-monster of the week, but it evolves wonderfully into a complicated story with 4 solid interesting characters. If you like science strange enough to be considered nearly paranormal in nature, you may like it quite a bit. It's definitely a little cop-drama oriented at times, but ultimately the ideas behind some of the science and schemes of the future storylines are great.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Space: Above and Beyond was ok, but I felt the universe was never properly explored or fleshed out. Might have something to do with the fact the series was cancelled after, what, 12 episodes?
    Also, the fact the Chiggis had interstellar spaceflight and could reach Earth back in Medieval times, but a thousand years later when we have interstellar spaceflight not only are we about on par with them technologically but they never even bothered to openly contact us and say hello in all that time until the "surprise attack". That never made an ounce of sense to me.
    I always got the vibe that there was a much deeper conspiracy at work there. I suspect we would have gotten answers in the next season.

It was a show with great potential but was cut off very early. But it did go 24 episodes I believe.

Thomamelas on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's sci-fi anime but the Cowboy Bebop series is an affordable $35 on amazon.com now.

http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Complete-Collection-Legends/dp/B00102FF7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276979859&sr=8-1

emnmnme on
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fringe is easily the best sci-fi show on TV, and it's well worth your money to buy season 1, (and 2 when it comes out.).

Lady Eri on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I always got the vibe that there was a much deeper conspiracy at work there. I suspect we would have gotten answers in the next season.

It was a show with great potential but was cut off very early. But it did go 24 episodes I believe.

I think you're probably right about the season 2 thing but there's theories that can explain that away. That humans as a race are just really damn good at inventing new stuff compared to race X has been around in sci-fi theory for ages for example.

Also iirc supposedly the reason they attacked was
    humans started colonizing their territory

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2010

I think you're probably right about the season 2 thing but there's theories that can explain that away. That humans as a race are just really damn good at inventing new stuff compared to race X has been around in sci-fi theory for ages for example.

Not only was it their territory, but they had "warned us". By which I mean they had contacted some company and told them, and the company's CEO decided to keep alien contact a secret, and the colony went ahead, and the aliens figured "screw second chances, let's start a war".

I really wish that, like Thomamelas said, there was some big conspiracy explanation to make this all make senes. But the show was cut short, and where they cut it makes the whole thing look dumb for all people involved.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sliders.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
    edited June 2010
    Sliders.
    Well, the seasons where the Professor was involved, before it became a dumb monster-of-the-week action thing.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Not only was it their territory, but they had "warned us". By which I mean they had contacted some company and told them, and the company's CEO decided to keep alien contact a secret, and the colony went ahead, and the aliens figured "screw second chances, let's start a war".

I really wish that, like Thomamelas said, there was some big conspiracy explanation to make this all make senes. But the show was cut short, and where they cut it makes the whole thing look dumb for all people involved.

It was co-produced by the same team that did X-Files and Millennium. So I like to pretend they hadn't had a chance to give us the deeper conspiracy.

Thomamelas on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sapphire and Steel.
    Obscure, minimalist sci-fi series from the early 80s.
    Not big on action or effects, but if time-travel ghost stories sounds like your bag, give it a look. One of the smarter, more original shows there's been.

Xagarath on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    juice for jesus on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another vote for Space: Above&Beyond. The episodes were hit'n'miss (like most scifi shows' first seasons, really), but I really enjoyed the hits and its soundtrack was pretty damn good.
    I also remember enjoying Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles.

Glal on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sliders.

Sliders just makes me sad. Probably the most ruined scifi series I have ever seen in my life, making the prequel trilogy look acceptable.

Undead Scottsman on