As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Star Burns

RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving into a new apartment, and the place I chose for the big screen has a large window that's barely covered by some junky shades. It's actually a sliding glass door that leads out to my crappy balcony that I'll never use. The light coming in from this gaping hole is seriously going to bother me when playing games or watching movies after coming home from work. My tv deserves better. So. I need to cover up this giant door-sized window and do it so that it looks better than tinfoil or a blanket or something equally typically bachelor.

The window is about as tall as a door, and maybe 1.5 times as wide as a typical apartment front door. I'll check tonight.

The few ideas I have don't seem too classy to me:
1) One of those vertical bamboo shade things
2) A big celtic tapestry/sheet, but the ones I've seen aren't very thick.

If you have any suggestions that aren't "anime/videogame poster", please give 'em here.

Renzo on

• Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    how about some actual heavy drapes designed for blocking light? :/

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    um...curtains?
    seriously though, you can pick up a nice looking set pretty cheaply at Linens and Things.

Dear God.
    I have been domesticated.
    *sob*

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stout has a point.

Depending on the rest of your room layout, some drapes would work out well and are generally very easy to install.

Just a matter of picking a rod that you like and installing it. Then hang the drapes from that. At least that way you have an easy way to tie them back on the off chance that you want to brighten your place up a bit once in awhile.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, my ex had the same problem at an apartment we used to share. She just bought a heavy-duty curtain rod and some thick drapes from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    they sell blackout curtains at most home stores

they are awesome

Raneados on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bed Bath and Beyond and Linens N Things, huh? Man, I never thought this day would come. But yeah, blackout curtains or just real curtains would be nice AND functional. Thanks for the help.

Renzo on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I say rock the foil. Cheap, easy, and you'll meet people that think you're either running a grow-op or think you're also blocking the mind controll rays.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes