As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Onlive - New Cloud Game Service

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    zillions of benefits of PC games other than great graphics
    Like?

Couscous on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It boggles my mind why they require a dual-core processor and a 1280x720 resolution for a flash stream.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It boggles my mind why they require a dual-core processor and a 1280x720 resolution for a flash stream.

Well, I don't know about your experience with Youtube, but 720p/1080p videos are choppy and slow on my single core P4. A netbook would be even worse than my computer at it

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So it keeps sounding like FPS and action games are the ones that work well (input lag wise), where strategy games and 'pointer-based' games (i.e., World of Goo) are suffering in the lag department. I keep wondering if it's because people are playing FPS games with gamepads. I know all the demos I saw of the service were done with gamepads, up to and including Crysis.

Maybe I'm being a curmudgeon, but I'd assume that input lag with a keyboard/mouse setup would be much more notable than with a gamepad.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Well, I don't know about your experience with Youtube, but 720p/1080p videos are choppy and slow on my single core P4. A netbook would be even worse than my computer at it

Pretty much. On my netbook (N280 1.6GHz Atom with 2GB of RAM) anything larger than the standard youtube video window and 360 resolution runs pretty choppy. Then again, since this is all being compressed and streamed to me, you would think they would detect what your computer should be capable of and scale it down appropriately. Obviously if I'm running on a netbook I wouldn't expect 720p HD graphics. The resolution of the 10" screen only goes up to 1024x600 as it is.

Either way, in regards to the wifi and cable restrictions, something would be better than the nothing I'm getting right now. I can understand that they are trying to make sure the experience is a positive one, but with all the restrictions they are placing on the service, they are imo creating a worse image of the service than just letting us try to use it on wifi and single-core computers.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    zillions of benefits of PC games other than great graphics
    Like?

I listed them already, but like being able to play flight sims or RTS games or good turn based strategy games or some RPGs or aim with a mouse and keyboard or play on servers with more than 32 people or be able to alt+tab back and forth with a strategy guide or a website or...

etc. All of the people posting in the threads for PC only games aren't just hanging out there because they want a resolution higher than 720p, man.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Netbooks are computers with a screen size under 13 inches, as far as I know. Lots of netbooks that fit the bill can play 720p Youtube videos.
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Pretty much. On my netbook (N280 1.6GHz Atom with 2GB of RAM) anything larger than the standard youtube video window and 360 resolution runs pretty choppy. Then again, since this is all being compressed and streamed to me, you would think they would detect what your computer should be capable of and scale it down appropriately. Obviously if I'm running on a netbook I wouldn't expect 720p HD graphics. The resolution of the 10" screen only goes up to 1024x600 as it is.

Either way, in regards to the wifi and cable restrictions, something would be better than the nothing I'm getting right now. I can understand that they are trying to make sure the experience is a positive one, but with all the restrictions they are placing on the service, they are imo creating a worse image of the service than just letting us try to use it on wifi and single-core computers.

Something's wrong with your computer then. My netbook is an 8.9" with an N270 and I can watch widescreen 480p videos on Youtube with no slowdowns at all.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still pretty stoked that it works at all

Their tech must not be total bullshit, as so many in this thread have proclaimed

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The latest version of flash supports GPUs, which allows for smooth playback of HD video with very little CPU usage.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I listed them already, but like being able to play flight sims or RTS games or good turn based strategy games or some RPGs or aim with a mouse and keyboard or play on servers with more than 32 people or be able to alt+tab back and forth with a strategy guide or a website or...
    So basically shit casuals don't give a shit about.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes, because it has never been an option for them. Casuals never gave a shit about first person shooters until Goldeneye and more importantly Halo showed up. Casuals never gave a shit about RPGs until Mass Effect hopped onto the scene. Casuals never wanted to play indie games until they appeared on XBLA. Casuals didn't care about Internet multiplayer with people on their friends list until suddenly the consoles can do it and you log onto CoD one night and there are 15 frat boys talking into your ear. Casuals never gave a shit about voice chat or HD graphics or friends lists until they came to a platform they could use.

All I get when I read your post is that "people have shown no desire to do things they have never been able to do." I'm saying that now that these are a possibility maybe people will actually start caring.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    FreddyD wrote: »

The latest version of flash supports GPUs, which allows for smooth playback of HD video with very little CPU usage.

Yea, I'm running that, it's not making that impressive of a difference

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People seem to be missing something else about OnLive that's fascinating, to me at least.

Mac users are no longer left out in the dark with video games. Onlive allows a Mac user to play games that have never been ported to that OS, flawlessly.

I think that could be a very good selling point.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SoulGate wrote: »
    People seem to be missing something else about OnLive that's fascinating, to me at least.

Mac users are no longer left out in the dark with video games. Onlive allows a Mac user to play games that have never been ported to that OS, flawlessly.

This is actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'll get all five mac users on the phone!

Couscous on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Wasn't there some mention a little while ago from somebody at Valve that Apple, ATI, nvidia and Valve are getting together to improve things for mac gaming like ati and nvidia writing better more optimised drivers, Apple making better frameworks (akin to DirectX) for OSX etc?

If I remember they said the improvements wouldn't appear for a fair while though.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Actually, you can't play games that haven't been released on the Mac with OnLive. The linked article mentions as much.

Opty on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That just sounds ridiculous.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

hey nice joke, person from 2003

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

They have like six percent of the market.

Is there any word on how much the microconsole will cost?

Couscous on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

They have like six percent of the market.

Is there any word on how much the microconsole will cost?

If I remember correctly when they showed it off a while ago they said it was very simple hardware wise, so in theory it shouldn't cost that much. If it costs more than £100 I'd be surprised. I place my money on around £50.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Actually, you can't play games that haven't been released on the Mac with OnLive. The linked article mentions as much.

It looks like you can but that there are licensing restrictions on some of them.
    Unfortunately, because of licensing restrictions, we can only offer Mass Effect 2 for play under Windows. So, if you do not have access to a PC, your only option to play it on a Mac is under Windows using Boot Camp or a similar system. We apologize for the inconvenience. OnLive has no other games in the pipeline that are Windows-only, and we do not expect to have any others.

In other words, it depends on the publisher and developer so don't expect this shit to necessarily be rare.

What games available on there haven't been released on the Mac?

Couscous on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, i'm wrong again. I'm blown away that the service works.

Can anyone confirm that their web client works in Linux? If it does, and this comes up to Canada, I might sub to it just so I can ditch WinDOH!s forever.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would have to consider my distance from one of their centers before i decided to give this a shot. Being in Montana usually means i'm going to get jack shit for connectivity.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love how some people think that Onlive will kill steam and retail.

Nevermind that it will only be available to a small fraction of the United States. And probably will remain inside the US of A for a long while.

Nevermind that there are millions of PC gamers outside the US of A.

Nevermind that many of the best PC game Developers are NOT in the US of A.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Steam for Mac will do a lot more for Mac Gaming than onlive.
    For one thing, Steam is a solid service with some years under its belt and many publishers and developers on board.

Also, steam's benefits wouldn't disappear even if Valve blew up and steam exploded. Onlive is one power switch away from vanishing forever at any given time. With Steam, I would be able to find workarounds to get my games working again if it vanished.

Oh, and the whole "you lose all your BOUGHT games after 12 months away" and "we can remove older games at any given time" clauses? Fuck that very hard. And fuck anyone who pays for that very hard too.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes, because it has never been an option for them. Casuals never gave a shit about first person shooters until Goldeneye and more importantly Halo showed up. Casuals never gave a shit about RPGs until Mass Effect hopped onto the scene. Casuals never wanted to play indie games until they appeared on XBLA. Casuals didn't care about Internet multiplayer with people on their friends list until suddenly the consoles can do it and you log onto CoD one night and there are 15 frat boys talking into your ear. Casuals never gave a shit about voice chat or HD graphics or friends lists until they came to a platform they could use.

All I get when I read your post is that "people have shown no desire to do things they have never been able to do." I'm saying that now that these are a possibility maybe people will actually start caring.

This is just the most awesome post ever, really.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes, because it has never been an option for them.
    If you ignore the console RTS games, sure. Since when the fuck where there no turn based games on consoles? There are. The flight sims? Those have always been niche. People don't want to play sims of shit they don't particularly care about. Car sims succeed on the consoles because they actually care about the subject matter.They just sell poorly compared to other games. You actually think they would prefer keyboard and mouse to the regular controller? News flash. Most of them prefer the controller to keyboard and mouse. MAG has how many people on at once? It hasn't exactly set the casuals on fire. Fuck, the vast majority of multiplayer games on the PC don't have more than 32 players. Even if it theoretically supports more than that, very few people actually play with more than that because it is usually a clusterfuck. As for going to a webpage, you can already do that with steam. Shift plus Tab. Your examples are shit that most PC gamers don't even give a fuck about.

PC gaming isn't some special snowflake. It is the same crap as consoles except more of a clusterfuck. Talking about keyboard and mouse as some kind of benefit that console gamers is utter bullshit. Even Onlive knows this. If you will notice, their stupid miniconsole or whatever comes with a controller, not a keyboard and mouse. The PS3 has long been capable of supporting the keyboard and mouse but developers aren't rushing to support it despite the obvious availability of keyboards and mice to the general consumer. UT3 suported the keyboard and mouse. Guess what? I can guarantee the vast majority didn't opt to use the usb keyboard and mouse they had with it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you ignore the console RTS games, sure. Since when the fuck where there no turn based games on consoles? There are. The flight sims? Those have always been niche. People don't want to play sims of shit they don't particularly care about. Car sims succeed on the consoles because they actually care about the subject matter.They just sell poorly compared to other games. You actually think they would prefer keyboard and mouse to the regular controller? News flash. Most of them prefer the controller to keyboard and mouse. MAG has how many people on at once? It hasn't exactly set the casuals on fire. Fuck, the vast majority of multiplayer games on the PC don't have more than 32 players. Even if it theoretically supports more than that, very few people actually play with more than that because it is usually a clusterfuck. As for going to a webpage, you can already do that with steam. Shift plus Tab.

Yes, I'm ignoring all seven or so console RTS games, all of which have been varying shades of awful. Consoles have had very specific kinds of turn-based games but nothing like X-COM or Civilization 2 or the Total War series or pretty much anything other than Final Fantasy Tactics and its ilk until very recently with some XBLA indie games and even then there's nothing like King's Bounty or anything. Flight sims have always been niche and they've been even more niche because they've never really been on consoles in any force because you need more than the 4 buttons on a gamepad to fly a plane, whereas car sims, which can fit on a gamepad, have been more successful because people can play them without figuring out how to work a gaming PC, which is what OnLive can do for flight sims. People prefer the controller because that's what they've always played video games with because nobody except the relatively hardcore ever got into FPS games on a PC (because it was too complicated/nerdy. See what I'm saying?). MAG is literally the only console game I have ever heard of that has more than a tiny amount of players and I'm not saying it needs to cause a revolution. I'm just saying some people like a sense of scale and they've never had the option on consoles. And frankly large games aren't a clusterfuck on the PC which is kind of what we're talking about. And I'm glad that you've managed to figure out how to use Steam to simultaneously browse the web, but unfortunately that takes more technical knowledge than your average console gamer has, plus it takes a PC powerful enough to run the game in the first place (plus the overlay which performs pretty badly). OnLive, meanwhile, is as easy to switch to and away from as any other program, so the people who don't really know how a computer works (which comprise ALMOST THE ENTIRETY OF ONLIVE'S TARGET AUDIENCE) will be able to work it out.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you ignore the console RTS games, sure. Since when the fuck where there no turn based games on consoles? There are. The flight sims? Those have always been niche. People don't want to play sims of shit they don't particularly care about. Car sims succeed on the consoles because they actually care about the subject matter.They just sell poorly compared to other games. You actually think they would prefer keyboard and mouse to the regular controller? News flash. Most of them prefer the controller to keyboard and mouse. MAG has how many people on at once? It hasn't exactly set the casuals on fire. Fuck, the vast majority of multiplayer games on the PC don't have more than 32 players. Even if it theoretically supports more than that, very few people actually play with more than that because it is usually a clusterfuck. As for going to a webpage, you can already do that with steam. Shift plus Tab.

Yes, I'm ignoring all seven or so console RTS games

Well, the Genesis and PSX got really good ports of some of the best RTS games, in the form of Dune 2, Command and Conquer, and Red Alert. The Genesis and PSX also had a few good original ones, like Herzog Zwei.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fine, I'm ignoring all 9.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Consoles have had very specific kinds of turn-based games but nothing like X-COM or Civilization 2 or the Total War series or pretty much anything other than Final Fantasy Tactics and its ilk until very recently with some XBLA indie games and even then there's nothing like King's Bounty or anything.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_Revolution
    http://s.uvlist.net/l/y2007/10/42721.jpg
    Flight sims have always been niche and they've been even more niche because they've never really been on consoles in any force because you need more than the 4 buttons on a gamepad to fly a plane
    You actually think that is why they are niche? I can come up with a 1000 reasons they are niche other than that. They are convoluted games that not even most PC gamers want to play.
    People prefer the controller because that's what they've always played video games with because nobody except the relatively hardcore ever got into FPS games on a PC (because it was too complicated/nerdy. See what I'm saying?).
    Doom-5 million
    Counter-Strike-4.2 million
    Half-Life-9.3 million (if that is relatively hardcore, the phrase hardcore is even more meaningless shit)
    Battlefield 1942 (4.39 million BF1942 2.47 million, BF1942:RTR 0.64 million, BF1942:SW 0.49 million, BF Deluxe 0.37 million, BF Anthology 0.42 million)
    Battlefield 2 (3.57 million BF2 2.25 million,BF2:SF 0.8 million,BF2:EF 0.2 million,BF2:AF 0.13 million,BF2 Deluxe 0.1 million,BF2 Complete Collection 0.09 million)
    Calling PC FPS games relatively hardcore makes no sense. You might as well call Halo relatively hardcore.
    I'm just saying some people like a sense of scale and they've never had the option on consoles.
    Some people are not many people.
    that takes more technical knowledge than your average console gamer has

plus it takes a PC powerful enough to run the game in the first place
    So you are saying that the average console gamer is so fucking retarded that he is incapable of using steam, which is now extremely userfriendly, and pressing Shift+Tab or even realizing it exists? Onlive takes a computer with an internet connection capable of running Onlive. I'm not seeing the difference.
    OnLive, meanwhile, is as easy to switch to and away from as any other program, so the people who don't really know how a computer works (which comprise ALMOST THE ENTIRETY OF ONLIVE'S TARGET AUDIENCE) will be able to work it out.
    Or they can just get a console and do the same shit except for a few random crap you listed that they will rarely use.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Consoles have had very specific kinds of turn-based games but nothing like X-COM or Civilization 2 or the Total War series or pretty much anything other than Final Fantasy Tactics and its ilk until very recently with some XBLA indie games and even then there's nothing like King's Bounty or anything.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_Revolution
    http://s.uvlist.net/l/y2007/10/42721.jpg

Also, 602649boxart_160w.jpg

PSX mouse compatible too!

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, the Genesis and PSX got really good ports of some of the best RTS games, in the form of Dune 2, Command and Conquer, and Red Alert. The Genesis and PSX also had a few good original ones, like Herzog Zwei.
    Warcraft and Syndicate Wars were on the PS1. Starcraft was on the N64.

Command and Conquer for the 360. Halo Wars. Supreme Commander. Brutal Legend. Darwinia. Battlestations: Midway. Endwar. World in Conflict.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Command and Conquer for the 360. Halo Wars. Supreme Commander. Brutal Legend. Darwinia. Battlestations: Midway. Endwar.

Warcraft 2 was on the Saturn too

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Command and Conquer for the 360. Halo Wars. Supreme Commander. Brutal Legend. Darwinia. Battlestations: Midway. Endwar. World in Conflict.

With the exception of Brutal Legend, those all sucked on consoles.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

With the exception of Brutal Legend, those all sucked on consoles.

Metacritic:
    Halo Wars-82
    Command and Conquer-75
    Supreme Command 2-75
    Battlestations: Pacific-76
    Endwar-77
    Or are we going to start defining "suck" as "not as good as I want it to be?"

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fine, there are 6 good RTS games on consoles, and you'd have to be a moron to even want to play something deeper than Halo "Select All and Atack" Wars and the only people who play Total War games or Company of Heroes or Warcraft III or Homeworld or Starcraft II are weirdos.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chalk me up as a weirdo then...:cry:

Maratastik on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Genesis and PSX also had a few good original ones, like Herzog Zwei.
    Warsong/Langrisser took up a remarkable amount of my time.

Liquid Ghost on