As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Globalization summer reading series

ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I was thinking this morning about doing a reading series on globalization here over the course of the summer. Basically a book discussion group reading a sequence of books about globalization and talking about them. I think maybe six books with three weeks to read each would work, starting mid-May or the beginning of June.

400px-Man_sitting_under_beach_umbrella.JPG

Our six books are, in this order:

1. Globalisation and its Discontents - Joseph Stiglitz - DUE JUNE 1st.
2. In Defence of globalization - Jagdish Bhagwati
3. Confessions of an economic hitman - John Perkins
4. Empires of Profit: Commerce, Conquest and Corporate Responsibility - Daniel Litvin
5. The coming anarchy - Robert Kaplan
6. Why Globalisation Works - Martin Wolf

Shinto on

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't have any particular interest in or knowledge about globalization, but I am game.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would totally be in to this, and have a heavy interest in the worldwide economy and how it affects other nations (espescially developing nations).

Serpent on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Edward Said?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Edward Said?

That's a cool thought, but I'd like to focus on the economics. It's a big topic and I think if it isn't focused then we'll just be all over the map.

Shinto on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was thinking of trying to start a politics book club here, because I think that would generate much more discussion. Let me also recommend:

The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman

and

The Coming Anarchy by Robert Kaplan

The first is frothingly pro, the second not so much.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Edward Said?

That's a cool thought, but I'd like to focus on the economics. It's a big topic and I think if it isn't focused then we'll just be all over the map.

Ah... economics are where I am completely out of my element. Although I will watch this thread with great interest to expand my knowledge.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs isn't necessarily just about globalization, but it's certainly a good read.

The Lexus and The Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman is supposed to be good, but I haven't read it yet.

In Defense of Globalization by Jagdish Bhagwati
    World on Fire by Amy Chua

are also good ones.

I'm in the midst of reading Stiglitz's Globalization and its Discontents, and have his other book around my house somewhere.

Fascinating topic, and certainly something I'd like to focus on as I pursue my degree in Econ.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also:

The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by that reporter guy who writes in the UK has a rather large section on globalization, but it also covers some other topics rather extensively as well (most notably Bush's stolen election in FL).

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd be interested in this. Economics is something I know virtually nothing about, despite its enormous importance in world events. I would like to become more educated on the subject.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Also:

The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by that reporter guy who writes in the UK has a rather large section on globalization, but it also covers some other topics rather extensively as well (most notably Bush's stolen election in FL).

I'd rather not get sidetracked by things like that personally.

So far our prospective list of books is:

Pro:
    In defense of globalization
    The lexus and the olive tree
    The world is flat
    Empires of Profit: Commerce, Conquest and Corporate Responsibility - Daniel Litvin
    The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger - Marc Levinson
    Why Globalization Works - Martin Wolf

Anti:
    The coming anarchy
    World on fire
    Globalization and its discontents
    Confessions of an economic hitman

Other:

Making globalization work
    All politics is global

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Edward Said?

Ah... economics are where I am completely out of my element. Although I will watch this thread with great interest to expand my knowledge.

If you had the interest to read the books I don't think you'd have a problem. All of these books, as far I know, are written for the lay public.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think Stiglitz's newer book, Making Globalization Work is a more positive one, but I haven't read it yet.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    78037429881.jpg

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm halfway through Orientalism. I don't like it.

I'd like to read this book this summer, purely on the basis of me liking the author, but I'm not certain how closely it's aligned with the subject.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm halfway through Orientalism. I don't like it.

I'm glad I read it, but I also didn't enjoy it.

All politics is global seems on topic enough. At least, the reviews make it sound that way.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Offtopic re: reading shit, but on topic re: globalization, http://bloggingheads.tv/ has some really fucking great discussions on a relatively frequent basis.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I kind of dislike Bhagwati but he's worth reading, I guess. Blowback might be another one to think about. Lexus and the Olive Tree is overrated, imho, but it is a fast, easy read.

I'll dig through my library and see what I can find. Took a class on this exact topic (Globalization: Threat or Promise? was the title) freshman year and thought it was fun.

Should we read Huntington? Clash of Civilizations isn't really about economics but it has been a hugely influential book.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A title like The Coming Anarchy doesn't really help the "there's more to a book than its cover" ideology in my mind.

Is the book better than sensationalism?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I kind of dislike Bhagwati but he's worth reading, I guess. Blowback might be another one to think about. Lexus and the Olive Tree is overrated, imho, but it is a fast, easy read.
    Lexus and the Olive Tree is kinda the popular conception of it. I think it's important to read to see how it's being packaged and sold in its most googley-eyed, idealistic, and eager fashion.

Plus the easy read bit. Plus there's one passage in it I'd love to talk about on here.

• Options
    edited April 2007
    A title like The Coming Anarchy doesn't really help the "there's more to a book than its cover" ideology in my mind.

It's an excellent book. It's also ~200 pages so another quick read.

• Options
    edited April 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Lexus and the Olive Tree is kinda the popular conception of it. I think it's important to read to see how it's being packaged and sold in its most googley-eyed, idealistic, and eager fashion.

Plus the easy read bit. Plus there's one passage in it I'd love to talk about on here.

I'm not sure if Friedman even believes half of what he argued in that book anymore, though. He seems to be all over the place when it comes to describing the Middle East and North Africa, these days. He seems geniunely confused as to why things aren't turning out as rosy as he had hoped. Not to say that I or others know much more than he, but it is amusing to watch him thrash around in his op-eds.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll check it out after my Japan-Land Fan Extravaganza.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm totally just trying to justify the opinions of the people I read, but The Economist, the Village Voice, and The Washington Monthly, among many others, panned the hell out of Friedman for rampant oversimplification and vacuousness.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Kaplan does good work. Very good work.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm in.

I nominate In Defense of Globalization for pro.

And maybe Jihad vs. McWorld.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm totally just trying to justify the opinions of the people I read, but The Economist, the Village Voice, and The Washington Monthly, among many others, panned the hell out of Friedman for rampant oversimplification and vacuousness.

Those are pretty fair accusations but you can often level the same at works done for the lay-person. When I told my Dad I was going to be an anthro major concentrating on the middle east and north africa, he bought a bunch of works that he thought would help him understand what I was studying. They were pretty horrible and useless, overall.

If anything, it's useful to read Friedman to get an idea of where lay-people get their information and how to situate his ideas in a larger social context. I find him hilarious at times because he has a very positive view of the world by nature and tries to cram all of the evidence into his vision of a shiny world. Now that the region has become a veritable shit-fest, he's really horribly confused about how it all could have gone so wrong.

Still a fun read though, if only for laughs at this point :D

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pro:
    The world is flat

Drop one of Friedman's books. (I'd prefer dropping both, but I suppose this is a democracy)

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Pro:
    The world is flat

Drop one of Friedman's books. (I'd prefer dropping both, but I suppose this is a democracy)

Oh yeah. Frankly I'd rather not have either, but I figured that if we were going to start in two weeks we have a couple days to just brainstorm.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm withdrawing my tentative nomination of Jihad vs. McWorld, and endorsing Martin Wolf's Why Globalization Works.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My third nomination is sorta niche.

The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger.

I don't expect you to take this seriously.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I used a line from that review as a sig, in another forum.
    Mr Friedman has discovered his metaphor for globalisation, and now nothing will stop him.

I should start using it again.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Daniel Litvin's Empires of Profit. Yes, another pro. It has a focus on the corporations, though, so it's different.

I'd take this in place of Box, if you guys don't want to talk about boxes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I used a line from that review as a sig, in another forum.
    Mr Friedman has discovered his metaphor for globalisation, and now nothing will stop him.

I should start using it again.

:lol:

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My third nomination is sorta niche.

The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger.

I don't expect you to take this seriously.

I work in shipping and was just researching containers. I now want to read this.

Also, damn you USA for using 40ft, 45ft, 48ft, and 53ft containers. just stick to the basics!

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Here's how I'm rating my nominations:

1. Empires of Profit: Commerce, Conquest and Corporate Responsibility - Daniel Litvin
    2. The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger - Marc Levinson
    3. Why Globalization Works - Martin Wolf
    4. In Defense of Globalization - Jagdish Bhagwati

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I remember seeing somewhere a graduate program in packaging design . . .

Anyway, I'd be up for this - though I won't have much time in the next three weeks (but that's what, one book or so?). I'm completely drawing a blank on recommendations . . . maybe when I get home I can find some stuff that I've been assigned over the years, or authors I've used.

Actually, one comes to mind but I have no idea exactly how relevant it is: The Collapse of Globalism and the Reinvention of the World by John Ralston Saul.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This sounds like a great idea - I'll try to keep out of it and just read. I also promise that I'll only quote this once:

"The dissolution of the corporations is the sine qua non of democracy"

Gorak on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The list so far makes me chuckle. "Hitman" "Fire" "Anarchy." Even "Discontents."

Is there an anti- book that isn't overly dramatic?

I really like Friedman, The World is Flat is good. It's pro-, but certainly not Republican or conservative.

Yar on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll participate. I could stand to be better informed.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    The list so far makes me chuckle. "Hitman" "Fire" "Anarchy." Even "Discontents."

Is there an anti- book that isn't overly dramatic?

I really like Friedman, The World is Flat is good. It's pro-, but certainly not Republican or conservative.

Actually, my understanding is that Globalization and its Discontents is a serious work. The title is a pun on Henry Kissenger's foreign policy book Detante and its Discontents.

But yes, the anti-globalization press has a problem with overheated rhetoric.

Shinto on