As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Screenshots 9: Needs More Spiky Bits

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is that Uldaman? If so, you're out of your mind. Uldaman is awesome.

Joshmvii on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Thinking about old skool WoW instances...

bg_avatar_ulduman.jpg

worst instance

I liked the story the first time I saw it
    I still view Sunken Temple as bad you have to go Up to go down left to go right and it's not faster to fall down to that one boss

Brainleech on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Is that Uldaman? If so, you're out of your mind. Uldaman is awesome.
    Awesome, yes.
    Terrible, also yes.

Remember all the trash? And the maze like set-up? And eventually wiping because the difficulty bounced up and down from one boss to the next? And remember how you could spend hours in there without ever seeing the end?

Aldo on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It was a maze, but a lot less of a maze than WC, it pretty much always brought you back to one point.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    It was a maze, but a lot less of a maze than WC, it pretty much always brought you back to one point.
    I can't remember a thing about WC, that's Waving Caverns or something, right? In Barrens?

Come to think of it, that instance in Desolace was the worst maze, I got lost finding the entrance a few times.

Aldo on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wasn't the original level curve for Uldaman something like it started in the 30s and then Archaedas was like level 45 or something?

reVerse on
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Wasn't the original level curve for Uldaman something like it started in the 30s and then Archaedas was like level 45 or something?
    I remember going in there when the mobs at the start were gray and the final boss still wiped my group.

I shouldn't complain too much, though. LOTRO is notorious for this kind of bullshit in instances. The raid instance of the vanilla game is almost literally hidden and you have to fight your way through about 10 packs of Elite Master mobs (similar in HP and dmg output to WoW's raid trash) just to get to the fucking entrance.

Aldo on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I love the flavor of Uldaman a whole lot more than the actual instance. Many a time I got to the end of that place only to wipe on the last guy and not get to finish. And yeah, the level range was insane. You were pretty much supposed to do the first half, then go level, then come back. Ah, how things have changed.

Joshmvii on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WC was fucking terrible, but that doesn't make Uldaman good.

Glal on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Uldaman had troggs, therefore it's terrible.

reVerse on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here are a couple of characters o' mine from APB.

ScreenShot00000_cr.png

A pretty Criminal

ScreenShot00001_cr.png
    ScreenShot00002_cr.png

And a Fat Old Bastard Enforcer

:mrgreen:

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Time to cut down on the donuts there, copper.

Echo on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He's going undercover at the Amalgamated Order of Real-Bearded Santas

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And now for something different.

An arrokoa riding a sandbox toy in BWL.

wowscrnshot061310023040.jpg

Ninja edit: Ewwww, that was some awful resizing right there. The actual picture was a lot prettier.

slurpeepoop on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    holy jesus APB's character creator is robust as HELL

too bad it is attached to a game I have zero interest in playing

Arch on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I worked hard today for this one (nah, it was fun), so can I just say... finally!
    My Norn Armor (several Vanquishes and a couple half-completed Hero's Handbooks later)
    Gw2010-06-1920-37-10-81.jpg

I still kind of want to get the Woad as well, though.

sidhaethe on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SolarDisciple.jpg

Solar Disciple, my Martial Arts champion with some Force sprinkled over. She kicks ass, but tends to be a bit of a glass cannon versus certain Super Villains. I wanted a somewhat simple costume, and I like the results... except for one thing.

Her breasts are way too fucking large. I wanted her to have a medium bust, but unfortunately, whoever made that jacket costume piece screwed the mesh deformation, so when you move the breasts slider, it twists awfully and looks absolutely atrocious. :(

Hopefully they'll fix it so I can tone those watermelons down.

aunsoph on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone needs to tell the artists at NCSoft that there are in fact breasts smaller than a C-Cup. It seems in their games, that's the smallest breast size you can get.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The slider is at maximum by default. CO is ridiculous sometimes.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, it's one bigger, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will have breasts at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your breasts. Where can you go from there? Where?

jackal on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell the artists at NCSoft that there are in fact breasts smaller than a C-Cup. It seems in their games, that's the smallest breast size you can get.

Try Aion then. You can have your character pretty much flat chested there.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NCSoft is City of Heroes/Villains.

The busty martial artist in question is a Champions Online/Cryptic character.

Regina Fong on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    adunal004.jpg

Adunal, my newly made Chosen.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited June 2010
    Oh good, that game still looks as muddy and blurry as ever.

Aldo on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    adunal004.jpg

Adunal, my newly made Chosen.

There are organizations to get Adunal help with that "walking into doorknobs" problem he has when Mrs. Adunal starts drinking.

Regina Fong on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    ScreenShot00001_cr.png
    ScreenShot00002_cr.png

And a Fat Old Bastard Enforcer

:mrgreen:

It looks like Jeff Bridges from Iron Man if he went broke.

JustinSane07 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    I'll just leave this here.

gadget.jpg

Echo on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wanna see someone make Tom Brusso on APB.

Lucky Cynic on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No amount of DX11 will help with relatively low resolution textures and very simply character models. I've seen plenty of games that are still technically in the DX9 era of graphics engines yet still look excellent because the models maintained the right level of polygons and the textures were never too low to begin with.

I'm not saying DDO and LOTRO have poor visuals, but DX11 and other lovely tech will not fix what makes Turbine's games look a bit dated.

Agreed. Particularly with how clown-suitish LotRO's armor is, prior to the old-world raid and Moria five-man sets.

They've really been phoning it in art-wise, lately. Take the Moria armor sets, for example:

NWzpV.jpg

Pretty cool-looking (except the helmet) right?

They must agree, because that's the level 51 crafted heavy armor. Here's 54:

NXo4R.jpg

. . .and 56:

9pagX.jpg

. . .and 58:

wGHuD.jpg

. . .and 60:

nK4bj.jpg

Turbine's got some incredibly skilled people working on their world design. The people responsible for the character models and equipment, though. . . not so much. It definitely has a farmed-out-to-Korea-on-the-cheap vibe about it. You've got palette-swapped armor posing as class sets, mismatched "sets" where none of the pieces match visually, crappy dye options, inconsistent colors (e.g. one thing dyed navy blue is a completely different shade of blue than another, even parts that are ostensibly the same material from the same set, like heavy westernesse).

The game has some stunning environments, but the models. . . ugh. I just couldn't get a decent-looking shot of my captain or loremaster for this thread. Even the high-end set armor looks mismatched and painted on.

s3rial one on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If EQ2 can pull themselves up by their bootstraps maybe the influx of cash from the F2P switch will give them some spark to boost their art department.

Scosglen on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    If EQ2 can pull themselves up by their bootstraps maybe the influx of cash from the F2P switch will give them some spark to boost their art department.

I think EQ2 has a larger problem, though: performance. The game's engine was designed in the era of the P4 and Athlon 64. It's designed for a super-fast single-core CPU. It's also extremely CPU-heavy. Performance on a modern, even high-end machine tends to suck. Like, 10-FPS-in-a-city-zone suck.

My guess is they'd need to address that issue before a graphical upgrade is in order. They did just upgrade their shader model, though.

s3rial one on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EQ2 went f2p?

I'm checking that out!

slurpeepoop on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EQ2 went f2p?

I'm checking that out!

No.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm uh, talking about LoTRO. I meant if EQ2 managed to get their art direction for gear in (better) shape, then anyone (Turbine) should be able to do something with the influx of cash they're going to get from going f2p.

Scosglen on
  • LOLtacularLOLtacular Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    APB customization is the best customization:

screenshot00002y.jpg

LOLtacular on
    fa05acbb52b84269.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    OK, I laughed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IMO: Games need more dye systems. DAoC had an excellent dye system. Sure, most people went dark black tones except for the token joker who always did hot pink, but why on earth can you not at least pick your color!?

Appearance slots in EQ2 help, but I would also like to see a robust dye system.

Lucky Cynic on
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is hilarious.

Sonork on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not sure which is more amusing, the basketball player or a dude playing a chick that has SPANK ME on her skirt

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bullt2.jpg
    Me and the mrs. taking it easy

mjau.jpg

RichardTauber on
This discussion has been closed.