As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man you can really roflstomp the black deck with the artifact deck.

I'm pretty close to unlocking everything, which makes me happy.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the second last challenge from the DLC to me? I beat it but I want to know how it works and looking for an explanation online has led me to believe that perhaps the mechanic that lets you win is a flaw in the rules that they sort of force you to learn.

Not sure which part you're talking about...
    The part where it allows you to tap land cards, or where you bring the octopus in during the opponent's main phase?
    (I'm by no means an expert on Magic's ruleset, but figured a bump might help you out)

No not that one (although that one took a while to solve).
    The one with Polymorph.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can anyone explain the second last challenge from the DLC to me? I beat it but I want to know how it works and looking for an explanation online has led me to believe that perhaps the mechanic that lets you win is a flaw in the rules that they sort of force you to learn.

The part where it allows you to tap land cards, or where you bring the octopus in during the opponent's main phase?
    (I'm by no means an expert on Magic's ruleset, but figured a bump might help you out)

The one with Polymorph.
    Is that the one you had to force the opponent to put that specific creature in play or something?

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

The one with Polymorph.
    Is that the one you had to force the opponent to put that specific creature in play or something?
    All I remember was casting Polymorph on the Colossus and then I won.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The one with Polymorph.
    All I remember was casting Polymorph on the Colossus and then I won.

You can only cast it on the Colossus because he has the capsule that can destroy any nonblack creature. Now casting it on the Colossus doesn't destroy him because he is indestructible (and the key piece to avoiding the capsule), but the rest of the spell continues to follow through so they will put the next creature in their deck into play. You have to put the Phage the Untouchable on top because of the rules text on the card making it a game ending move to play it from anywhere other than the player's hand.

Hopefully that's what you were looking for.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok, that makes sense now. I forgot about how that particular card worked and my brain was mush by then so I was more than happy to move on without questioning the order of events of my victory.

Arikado on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I love this deck so much. I threw out some more trival stuff a week ago and it became that much faster, getting its combos almost everytime. The platinum angel is nice, but costly and a bitch if player take controll of it or you depends on it too much. You cant kill it yourself safe for one artefactcreature destruction card in your entire deck.

Wow, i just realised i'm in the top 500... Still a long way from first place, but I was rank 2500 or something a month ago... what the hell happened?

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys, keep seeing this on XBL. Is it worth it (I've never payed Magic before)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    Hey guys, keep seeing this on XBL. Is it worth it (I've never payed Magic before)

It's the perfect intro to the game really. Quite a nice tutorial and the system is locked into set decks so you can only be beaten by luck/skill rather than someone simply having access to better cards than you.

Gameplay-wise it's terrific value. The base game contains enough decks and unlocks to keep you amused for weeks. The online is swift and seamless. The expansions are available to extend the experience if you want to.

In my opinion you can't go wrong. Just beware it becoming the gateway drug into 'true' Magic and the subsequent wallet rape that follows!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alphagaia wrote: »

I love this deck so much. I threw out some more trival stuff a week ago and it became that much faster, getting its combos almost everytime. The platinum angel is nice, but costly and a bitch if player take controll of it or you depends on it too much. You cant kill it yourself safe for one artefactcreature destruction card in your entire deck.

Wow, i just realised i'm in the top 500... Still a long way from first place, but I was rank 2500 or something a month ago... what the hell happened?

Yeah I start to debate mucking my hand and redrawing even if I have lands if there is no glaze fiend. 8-)

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Yeah I start to debate mucking my hand and redrawing even if I have lands if there is no glaze fiend. 8-)

I can live without the Glaze fiends; Master of Etherium is my powercard. If I have one in hand, 2-3 lands and some cheap other artefact I feel golden. I really like the new expansion giving you one more of these buffers.

Don't get me wrong: Glaze fiend is awesome especially if your grab one more or keep drawing cheap artefacts, but I mainly use it together with my owls to get my opponent to use his terminates, incinerates of artefact removal before my big gun comes out.

On a sidenote: I drew a (quick) Loxodon Warhammer every time I played today. Talk about lucky.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, I just won a 3 way match in 7-8 turns using the new Black/Red/Blue deck. The 4/4 creature that make you discard is great when you have that red dragon with haste and 2 zombifies.

And no, I don't know the cards' names... Except zombifies, but that's just luck.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    UbuRoiAA wrote: »
    Wow, I just won a 3 way match in 7-8 turns using the new Black/Red/Blue deck. The 4/4 creature that make you discard is great when you have that red dragon with haste and 2 zombifies.

And no, I don't know the cards' names... Except zombifies, but that's just luck.

I think that deck works fine in games with more opponnents, but is too slow for 1 vs 1.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nah, they can hurt you with quick and weak creatures at the beginning, but once the big guns are out, you just roll over them.

Black deck is great against it tho, it can prevent you from drawing cards like crazy.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This might be old news, but if you pre-order the Steam version, you get the first expansion free. $9.99 seems like a damned good deal for this.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nah, they can hurt you with quick and weak creatures at the beginning, but once the big guns are out, you just roll over them.

Black deck is great against it tho, it can prevent you from drawing cards like crazy.

The weak creatures you can add through sideboard are filler and not helping the deck, and the ones already in there start pouring in on turn 3 if you have a land drop each turn. Most decks should have some sort of defence going by then.

I might be missing something as I only played the deck enough to unlock all cards, play 3 or extra times and remove some filler, but most of the time it was too much waiting for the combo's. Without the combos the deck is just so slow to build up an army. I like the veindrinker and the cards which get +1+1 counters it can shoot for damage, though.

I play the artfeact deck the most and its has a few disadvantages against this deck: with terror not being very usefull against most cards and howling mine giving my opponent more advantage to get enough lands out to hardcast the big guns. But my owls cant be killed by the veindrinker unless he wants to lose it and I still mangage to win perhaps 8 out of 10 against it. Not counting the obvious mana screw-draws. Most decks have big advantages over it on speed terms.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    This might be old news, but if you pre-order the Steam version, you get the first expansion free. $9.99 seems like a damned good deal for this.
    Didn't see it posted here, but the release date was finally given as June 15th.
    Steam's pre-order bonus is still available.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm eagerly awaiting this, but I'm also concerned because it's been a long time since I played MTG. Like, '98 or so, and I know things have changed significantly. I'll need to reacclimate myself to the game, learn all the new mechanics.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zerothelegendzerothelegend Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How much are expansions? I'd like to get this on steam, but if the expansions are too much I'm not going to bother. (I can't see any expansions on steam, only the mention of one as a preorder)

zerothelegend on
    Your heart will explode.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How much are expansions? I'd like to get this on steam, but if the expansions are too much I'm not going to bother. (I can't see any expansions on steam, only the mention of one as a preorder)
    Pretty sure that they're going to be $4.99 each.
    I also haven't really played Magic since... 2000 I guess. Don't have the slightest clue what some of this new shit is/does, i.e. what the hell is a scheme? A planeswalker?

Kivutar on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man FUCK these decks. They're fucking retarded and the way the computer decides to draw cards is fucking stupid, too. I was winning 29-5. The game gave me nothing but lands until I lost.

I have to keep playing, but I'm gonna be pissed often, I can tell.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Man FUCK these decks. They're fucking retarded and the way the computer decides to draw cards is fucking stupid, too. I was winning 29-5. The game gave me nothing but lands until I lost.

Yea, I've had an irritating number of games where either myself or my opponent just draws like 7 consecutive lands and dies helplessly. The number of land included in each deck is retarded, which I'm guessing is the cause of most of that. I mean, it's been 10 years since I played paper-magic, but I don't remember manascrew happening that consistently.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kivutar wrote: »

Yea, I've had an irritating number of games where either myself or my opponent just draws like 7 consecutive lands and dies helplessly. The number of land included in each deck is retarded, which I'm guessing is the cause of most of that. I mean, it's been 10 years since I played paper-magic, but I don't remember manascrew happening that consistently.

So, checking out the default deck I was using when it happened, its got 24 lands in it. That's a fair amount more than I'd want, but it still shouldn't be enough to consistently fuck me like it has been. Every game I've had to restart is because of drawing mana until I died.

Seriously, apparently the best hand to keep is nothing but lands so you can get them the fuck out of your deck and maybe draw the good shit.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OK, so let me make sure I'm understanding properly...the cards which are included in each deck initially cannot be removed, right? Only the cards you win can be taken out.

I'm asking because in that first black deck, the one with all the discards, I'd like to take out the Unholy Strength because, let's face it, I barely ever attack.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Correct. You can modify extra cards to your hearts content but the base deck cannot be altered.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Really wish I could edit this white deck. Pacifism and Holy Day work, but I want Shackles and Gossamer Chains.

Edit: Holy shit, Mirri! Tell me the rest of the Weatherlight crew is in here somewhere?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was bored yesterday, and this game wa sonly 400 points. Played the tutorial on the trial game, and decided to go ahead and buy it. I've never played Magic before yesterday and I'm liking it. What's a good strategy for your initial hand? What's a good ratio of lands to creatures/spells to try to start out with? I know I'm extremely inexperienced in the game, but the third guy in the campaign (uses the green deck) was kicking my ass seemingly because he was getting luckier with the cards he was drawing. Is this a common occurance, like sometimes you just get unlucky with your cards?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I typically try to have 3 lands in my initial hand. I will sometimes take 2, IF I have enough low cost creatures.

socks on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I know I'm extremely inexperienced in the game, but the third guy in the campaign (uses the green deck) was kicking my ass seemingly because he was getting luckier with the cards he was drawing. Is this a common occurance, like sometimes you just get unlucky with your cards?

Welcome to the wonderful world of manascrew. It happens. The opposite, getting nothing but lands, also happens. Don't sweat it, especially in the campaign where there's no penalty for losing.

I agree with socks, I generally try to get 3 lands to start.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krazycraftkrazycraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm didn't know people here still played this game. I bought this quite I think probably Fall/Winter of 09 got into 3-5k rankings on multi. Really fun game, I just wish there was more customization with the decks. My favorite deck is the black/green elf deck. The deck brings me so much joy! Anybody knows if they ever plan to release an xpac for this game...maybe add planeswalkers/worldwake stuff?

krazycraft on
    273456-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I was bored yesterday, and this game wa sonly 400 points. Played the tutorial on the trial game, and decided to go ahead and buy it. I've never played Magic before yesterday and I'm liking it. What's a good strategy for your initial hand? What's a good ratio of lands to creatures/spells to try to start out with? I know I'm extremely inexperienced in the game, but the third guy in the campaign (uses the green deck) was kicking my ass seemingly because he was getting luckier with the cards he was drawing. Is this a common occurance, like sometimes you just get unlucky with your cards?

Yes, 3 lands is good, but with certain type of deck, or certain drawing hand, you're better off with 2 or 4. Try to plan out the sequence you will be playing your cards; it's not really good to have 4 cards needing 5 lands to play, it might be too late when you get there.

Have fun and get all the cards before playing ranking games online (it helps!).

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

So, checking out the default deck I was using when it happened, its got 24 lands in it. That's a fair amount more than I'd want, but it still shouldn't be enough to consistently fuck me like it has been. Every game I've had to restart is because of drawing mana until I died.

Seriously, apparently the best hand to keep is nothing but lands so you can get them the fuck out of your deck and maybe draw the good shit.

With the expansion, if you get all the cards, it's pretty balanced. Of course, it's still fucking retarded that you can't edit your deck as you want...

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

With the expansion, if you get all the cards, it's pretty balanced. Of course, it's still fucking retarded that you can't edit your deck as you want...

I have them, and honestly, I'm calling shenanigans on that. I'm at, I believe, 20/23 extra cards for the white deck. Facing Jace, he got me down to seven cards in my deck so I went through to see how many lands the game decided I needed.

Final count was at 34.

What the fuck game?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Using the green and white deck is a good way to avoid being manaless. With this deck, you better hope the game's over before you run out of mana. (it doesn't happen often tho, except if you try to get the 8 lands in one turn achievement.)

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I finally got through Oblivion and decided to fire this up off of Steam, and I have to say, it's really slick. As someone who hasn't played an actual game in, like, 14 years (just a few games over chat channels using old cards in the years between), this is the most fun I've had with MtG since middle school. The game keeps up a really good pace, and the AI isn't nearly as dumb as I would've expected. I guess the lack of customization is a flaw, but given what the game is - a great way to hop in for quick games without needing to drop a lot of cash or play rules lawyer, I can live without it. I was never really deep into deck strategery anyways.

So far I've just been running through the campaign with the green deck. Any multiplayer folks running on Steam?

Scooter on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Picked it up on steam last weekend myself. Still haven't done much because hey, TF2, but I wouldnt mind going a couple rounds with you (and anyone else who picked it up). I know GAF has a pretty healthy multiplayer crew for the PC version.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've had this for awhile. Didn't know there was PA interest. Hopefully I'm on the metatag and OP soon.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I played this game to death and it's always nice to see more fans and players!
    A shame I'm on Xbox though. Would not playing a few mentor matches to help you get the feel of the game.
    If you need some tips for your fave decks, let me know! I'm not pretending to be the father of all knowledge here, but hell, I would not mind handing out some advice.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Finally finished unlocking all the cards for the Nicol Bolas deck. Now to finish up that GW Landfall deck.

Then unlock the decks on another player so my friends can play with the cool new decks.

Arikado on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm hoping for more DLC at some point so I can play with the vampire deck. Because, shit, it looks awesome, and the last guy beat my ass pretty often with it.

Nightslyr on