As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As a WL I rushed (from 31) to 40 just so people wouldn't two-shot me. I was still useless, but at least I could take a few hits. :?

Glal on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I find with bolster going to 40 now, and being a tank spec character in PvP im already pretty durable, even at 35 now.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MASSIVE keep defenses on Badlands order side. I was on the organ gun as an undergeared slayer and my brother was a swordmaster, he would just keep running out into their healers/backline and punting them, disrupting all the healing going to the tanks on the ram, causing losses on their side. After about 4 pushes into their backline he got some followers from our side after they wiped the ram and pushed into them and wiped them out, all of them. I just couldn't help but laugh as i saw him charge and punt 10 dudes away while i rained hellfire from the organ gun with a perfect view point. He did it 3 times out numbered Saturday morning, and I got to see him lead the charge at least 3 times Saturday night against roughly even numbers. Destro even came back later again, this time with siege equipment and made a better charge, but we held them off for quite a while, and wiped them on the inner door using the same knockback and aoe attacks. Great day for Thickmuck.

ps. someone get candymancers back up and running so i can actually be in a guild order side =(

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hah, amusing that I'm playing Destro on Badlands. The population seems better suited for my late night play times.

PS: Chosen are awesome.

PSS: Especially when I, like your brother, are leading the 'rush' after a brutal defense while waiting for a BO to tick. I swear the moment the Order saw -me- running at them, they turned around and hit their flees.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Hah, amusing that I'm playing Destro on Badlands. The population seems better suited for my late night play times.

PSS: Especially when I, like your brother, are leading the 'rush' after a brutal defense while waiting for a BO to tick. I swear the moment the Order saw -me- running at them, they turned around and hit their flees.

What Tier are you in? I'm curious if we've run into each other yet.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

What Tier are you in? I'm curious if we've run into each other yet.

Tier 1 so far, Adunal is the name so maybe on an alt? I made the guy last night.

Arthil on
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just got his game (downloaded trial, thought it was neat enough to spend $15 for a month, immediately regretted), and I'd like to give it a shot. Question though. I was rank 5 and went to an area that upranks you. There was a guy I pvp'd and he was waaaay more powerful than me. Do you not get equipment upgrades as well? So is it like I'm a rank 11 with really terrible gear (at rank 5)? In other words, are there t1/2/3 twinks out there to ruin my experience?

Rivulent on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys, how big is the client for WAR? Thinking of giving it a shot. I am pretty much systematically eliminating the MMO market until I find something I like. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They have a streaming client for the T1 endless trial.

Outside of that, I think I pulled down ~6 gigs?

Oats on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I need to stop Q'ing for scenarios. Every single time its nothing but annoying even when we win. Somehow they manage to be even less fun than WoW Battlegrounds.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am finding playing a tank to be immensely more satisfying than MDPS.

Even when I'm not at the top end of a tier I can contribute and harass things meaningfully.

Plus I love the feeling you get when you just know the person on the other side of your monitor actually hates you and will charge at you mindlessly out of rage.

Oats on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »
    So I just got his game (downloaded trial, thought it was neat enough to spend $15 for a month, immediately regretted), and I'd like to give it a shot. Question though. I was rank 5 and went to an area that upranks you. There was a guy I pvp'd and he was waaaay more powerful than me. Do you not get equipment upgrades as well? So is it like I'm a rank 11 with really terrible gear (at rank 5)? In other words, are there t1/2/3 twinks out there to ruin my experience?

I'm guessing that you went to the Tier 1 RvR lake (which bolts you to 7 if things haven't changed since I played). All the dudes on the endless trial will probably have the best T1 weapons and armor, they're relatively easy to obtain though.

Once you get to the higher tiers obviously the people at the top of the food chain will have an advantage, but that's why you gotta roll deep when you're out taking BOs and keeps.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It bolsters you all the way to 11 now, but yeah your gear obviously stays as what you got when you get bumped up like that. Que for scenarios in the beginning as you work your way down south, I'd say once you've hit your level is a good time to head towards the lake. Most classes have their slow by then, except for Tanks.

Arthil on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On a related note, in regards to scenarios...

...dear god, why did Phoenix Gate have to be the weekend warfront this time around? D:

I like the stalemate-breaker at the bridge now, though... but, still. Ugh. Do not want.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Extra terrible with all the fucking twinks in Tier 1. Seriously how did they think locking you at Level 11 was a GOOD idea? One of the games biggest draws was that there were never twinks, because you always leveled out of the bracket.

Edit: And fuck Level 11 healers who just dance around on my corpse while I'm politely whispering them for a rez.

Arthil on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is phoenix gate the only one that the unlimited trial can do ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Sure feels like it, I've been avoiding it like the plague.

Arthil on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, because it was free, I gave this another go last night. There are lots of things I like about it still, but PvE just seems very lifeless and dull.

The PvP seems fine (though the time to kill seems a bit...low) but doing RvR lakes for xp doesn't seem to work very well, unfortunately (though it's obviously not the main reason to do them). Scenarios seem very blah in T1---I can't imagine wanting to do them much without an organized group. Lakes are fun pvp, but like most "world pvp" so very often the outcome is decided on sheer numbers alone.

Obviously the people who are sitting at the cap and have the best rewards don't help much.

So, in summary, the game seems okay, just a little boring and somewhat annoying in parts. T2 is what caused me to quit in the first place, but T1 doesn't seem as fun anymore.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Anyone bored want to make an order alt on Volkmar so i can form a guild? Trying to pay people to come but shit aint working.

edit: Nevermind, think i got it. Only cost me 20g a person ~_~

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So if anyone is playing Volkmar order and you want in a guild, i made one so i can claim keeps at a later date. Send me a tell on Nyrruk.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Weren't you already in a guild?

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nope, never have been.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Extra terrible with all the fucking twinks in Tier 1. Seriously how did they think locking you at Level 11 was a GOOD idea? One of the games biggest draws was that there were never twinks, because you always leveled out of the bracket.
    How do you lock at level 11? I was under the impression unlimited trial limited (ah ah) you to level 10.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They should rework the Unlimited Trial to extend up to T3, and make it more of a Free to Play experience like DDO/LoTRO is doing.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Saban wrote: »
    They should rework the Unlimited Trial to extend up to T3, and make it more of a Free to Play experience like DDO/LoTRO is doing.

Or just make it where it stops at 12 so twinking is impossible.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't really remember gear making much of a difference in T1. Not nearly as much as level.

Glal on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really think your right glal, t1 should be all about what level you are and what skills you have .

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, my level of enjoyment in PVP gradually dropped with tiers. T1 was basic, but fun. Once you were level 8 or above you actually felt like a genuine threat.
    As MDPS T2 is pretty shit until level 18, at which point you can finally stop spending 80% of matches rooted and attack someone.
    T3 was pants for the first half, but fun for the second. Suddenly people were using tactics and strategy, groups were sent to defend portions or to create choke points, it was great...
    ...and then you hit T4 and suddenly you're getting one-shotted by everyone (unless you're a tank), people appear to have forgotten how cooperation works, RDPS AoEs kill you before you even get in range, high RR people have gear with hilarious disproportionate benefits, clashes turn into whoever-has-the-biggest-zerg wins and keeps are hilariously stacked in favour of the defenders. Why even bother. :?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pet Peeves:

Getting knocked off mounts so easily in PvE

Can't jump out of water.

My knockback barely kicks someone out of melee range. Some asshole uses his AoE knockback and i get sent flying to the next pairing.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I remember being at the top of each tier and being one of the biggest threats as a WL. Once you move up it's rough but doable.

Once I hit tier 4 the game was all over for me. I may have had fun once or twice but I can't believe they screwed up that transition so horribly. Congrats you made it to tier 4 you get to play people double your RR until you catch up.

Did they ever introduce a way to stop leveling? I might have stayed in t3 because it was awesome but then I don't know if I would have been able to justify the monthly fee.

But I sure did have some good times running with people on vent. I was a little higher level that most in the guild so while they sieged I would back door and kill whatever lowbies I could before jumping of the front gate. So much fun being able to say, "It's all clear guys come on in" and having friends give you shit for clearing it.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lets be honest though, the endgame IS t4. If i had worked for a year on getting RR60-80 and some guy who just got to R40/RR40 was pushing my shit in i'd be pretty fucking pissed. While you should be at least be useful in T4 early on, you shouldn't also expect to stand toe to toe with anyone whos been there awhile.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think that's the flaw. Why does it take a year to get from rr60 to rr80? And why on earth would I want to spend 6 months going from RR31 to RR 60 so I can even compete? They should have learned from wow and had lvl 41+ zones.

I mean, it's tough going from top of the heap to the bottom but it was so extreme I couldn't put up with it. It also hurts that it was just when they fixed the AP bug and my WL went from being able to use abilities freely to only getting 3 or 4 before being out of AP completely. Also WL are broken after T3 until you get the RR75 items.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So i was making an alt account, partly for the RAF bonus. I accidently added it to the same master account as my main account. Will i still get the RAF bonus if i buy a retail key?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think that's the flaw. Why does it take a year to get from rr60 to rr80? And why on earth would I want to spend 6 months going from RR31 to RR 60 so I can even compete? They should have learned from wow and had lvl 41+ zones.
    Yeah, this. I know it an MMORPG, but in a PVP game gear shouldn't be the main factor. If you've been in T4 for a year then you should defeat me because you're more experienced, not because playing for so long has activated easy mode.

Glal on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why does it take a year to get from rr60 to rr80?
    It doesn't have to. The guild I was in had a handful of RR80 players, and 10 or so in the mid- to high 70s pushing for 80. This was seven or eight months after release. Those guys played a lot though, one year for RR60 -> RR80 might be how long it takes with "average" playtime. Still seems kinda high to me though.
    I mean, it's tough going from top of the heap to the bottom but it was so extreme I couldn't put up with it.
    Our alliance warbands usually had a mix of high-RR (like 50+) and low-RR (RR30s and 40s) players. The geared high-RR players did a lot of the heavy lifting, but they still needed the extra bodies the low-RR players provided in order to not get zerged down. I went from RR33ish to RR56 running with those guys and it was fun times until T4 got too repetitive. So in my experience, that's what you really need to wring enjoyment out of T4, a good group that would take you under their wing until you were ranked & geared up some (and then you could return the favor for their alts!). Maybe it's different now and T4 is all high-RR players and the newcomers can't get a look-in, idunno.

In the end, T4 got pretty stale for me after I'd taken and defended every keep half a dozen times, flipped every zone multiple times, and slogged through broken-ass game mechanics in city sieges. I think cities are fixed now? Anyway, doesn't make me want to come back, there wasn't enough raw enjoyment available in T4 to make me want to stay long-term. If the game had compelling PvE, and scenarios that would actually pop more than once an hour, I probably would have stayed longer because then I could shift my focus around when I got tired of open world PvP.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Making an alt to play during order RvR off hours, what Order dps classes are strong at R40? Prolly gonna go BW or Slayer i think.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    T1 on Volkmar Order is about as fun as hammering nails into my dick.

About 7 R11 Squig herders running around that can kill you before you get in melee range. Not to mention the all the unkillable shamans running around healing them.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There ARE Tier 4 dungeons you can run to get equipment that's somewhat equal to the higher RR stuff. So there are some options for variety.

Order Badlands had a community driven event last night in T3, we took just about everything and went to T4 Thunder Mountain to take a keep, destro hit up the keep we had there so we veered over to defend that one and wiped out 1-2 destro wb's from behind with just T3 dudes, and maybe some 40's sprinkled in. I heard there was only about a party of 40's defending. After we got the defense tic there we rode over to the other keep and took that which was reporting as a medium defense from destro and claimed and ranked up to 4. Destro even tried to come around the side of the inner keep and kill us from behind be luckily we saw them in time and stonewalled them on their own chockepoint in the door while the rank 40 group killed the king up top. Then we died/flew back to Talabecland and locked that zone. The ride from Altdorf to Thunder Mountain was pretty spectacular though, gotta say. LOTS of gryphons and dudes riding hard.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In the end, T4 got pretty stale for me after I'd taken and defended every keep half a dozen times, flipped every zone multiple times, and slogged through broken-ass game mechanics in city sieges. I think cities are fixed now? Anyway, doesn't make me want to come back, there wasn't enough raw enjoyment available in T4 to make me want to stay long-term. If the game had compelling PvE, and scenarios that would actually pop more than once an hour, I probably would have stayed longer because then I could shift my focus around when I got tired of open world PvP.
    I completely agree. At some point you're basically going through the motions, and more or less you know how things will end up by how many dudes you're rolling with and what time of the day it is. The T4 game world is just too small. At least in the other tiers you had the next tier to look forward to.

I didn't really do much of the PvE stuff, really I don't care about it at all, but I honestly don't get why scenarios popped so infrequently even when the game was at its peak.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I completely agree. At some point you're basically going through the motions, and more or less you know how things will end up by how many dudes you're rolling with and what time of the day it is. The T4 game world is just too small. At least in the other tiers you had the next tier to look forward to.

I didn't really do much of the PvE stuff, really I don't care about it at all, but I honestly don't get why scenarios popped so infrequently even when the game was at its peak.

I seem to remember that certain scenarios were bugged and didn't pop much.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png