As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Jack and the Ghost of Alenko's Past

curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue DealerRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Shamelessly stolen from Dox the Pi - reposted because curly needs his fix D:

MASS EFFECT MOVIE IS HAPPENING NEIL BLOMKAMP PL0X

In the Mass Effect universe everybody is so nice and dresses so well
monocleeffect.jpg
k6IUh.jpg
Skybox issues rock.

Kasumi is out, and she rocks: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/kasumi-trailer-mass-effect/63466?type=flv

Even the robot butler!

Legion___Back_in_the_day_____by_InsidiousSquid.png

LET THERE BE ALT COSTUMES!:
rubb5t.jpg

Masseffectlogo.png
Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

AND THE WIKI!

AND MASS EFFECT 2 GUIDE / WALKTHROUGH!

Want to play the class of kings? How to Vanguard 101

Just imagine that every post is being spoken in this tone.Airquotes

And the only true romance: Is that a new hairstyle?

Think Zaeed's a stone cold killer? He's not, and here's proof: Jessie - A Love Story

All aboard the Love Boat with Jacob Taylor: The Prize - Jacob Taylor

Kasanagi's early Christmas present to us; a mod that turns the widow into a fully automatic death machine:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Features:
No startup movies
Infinite "Storm" AKA Sprint
Modified Krogun - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo (40 after research upgrade), semi-automatic, high speed ROF.
Modified Widow - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo, semi-automatic, high speed ROF (same as krogun's).

Just drop this in your Mass Effect 2 install folder under \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\ , make sure to backup your current coalesced.ini first, just in

case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj0_s6d5kM [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=F4xFFV_uy8I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xFFV_uy8I[/URL]!

last, but hardly least, we have TychoCelchuuu's Mass Effect Facebook pages: one two three | FOUR!

RxI0N.png
Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
curly haired boy on

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TEWAM HARBINGER GOOOOO!!!!.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just played through Overlord and I missed the paragon interupt at the end. Anyone wanna tell me what I missed if anything. Damn thing came up so fast and was gone I never even had a chance to hit the button.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kal wrote: »
    So I just played through Overlord and I missed the paragon interupt at the end. Anyone wanna tell me what I missed if anything. Damn thing came up so fast and was gone I never even had a chance to hit the button.

it's an awesome one.
    you actually slap the guy across the face with your sidearm before sticking it in his face

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    im kinda hoping that Shep gets hunted by another spectre in ME3, like how Shep hunted Saren

that'd be awesome

Joolander on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Legions loyalty mission left, then Collectr ship and I'm done with Insane. Looking forward to getting my canon infiltrator off the bench to try all the DLC.

So I stumbled across this quote. I notice that was dated to feburary, we had any new information since then?

Leitner on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TEAM SOVEREIGN BATTLE STATIONS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIbuNajk6U

that's why Sovereign is always more awesome

(obviously massive ME1 spoilers)

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    @leitner:

nothing so far. i'm thinking it's MMO games set in the DA:O and ME universes. if it is, i won't be able to partake in them anyway.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

it's an awesome one.
    you actually slap the guy across the face with your sidearm before sticking it in his face

Ah perhaps I will ahve to replay the end again then. I think I have a save before everything got all weird.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

it's an awesome one.

Ah perhaps I will ahve to replay the end again then. I think I have a save before everything got all weird.

i actually reloaded my save a few times and replayed that section again, just because it was so awesome.

EDIT: i'd like to hear how other classes actually handle that end part. i did it on my vanguard and just charged the opposition, but there's like zilch cover at the end. is there some pattern or easily-grasped method to it? i kinda blundered my way through each time.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

it's an awesome one.

i actually reloaded my save a few times and replayed that section again, just because it was so awesome.

EDIT: i'd like to hear how other classes actually handle that end part. i did it on my vanguard and just charged the opposition, but there's like zilch cover at the end. is there some pattern or easily-grasped method to it? i kinda blundered my way through each time.

the Bestfiltrator method:
    Locust SMG the floating green downloader ghosts

cloak and use the Viper as your pop-up blocker

Joolander on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In regards to the OP, Team Sovereign all the way :P

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd been waiting for a steam sale and it finally rolled around. Picked this up Saturday afternoon and I'm still on my first play through. I've just unlocked loyalty missions for Miranda, Jacob and Jack. While I'm playing as a paragon, I can't imagine some of my teammates wanting to follow me if I were a full on renegade. I forgot how much I liked the first one, this one is great too!

Arminas on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm on Sovvy's team. You cannot comprehend blah blah etc.

Yeah, the overlord end section was weird:
    I just shot some random shielded things, some geth and the armor bit of David, and suddenly with no warning David's all Matrixed up to tubes and shit. I thought I'd fucked something up but realised that was it. Typical Cerberus - we're not just going to hook you up the network david, we'll stuff tubes into your stomach through your mouth and force your eyes open. Why? Because we can't organise a piss-up in a brewery without Shepard selling the booze.

I never played the end bit with Legion - did he have any input to the choice or any reaction to the fallout?

envoy1 on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone having trouble connecting to the Cerberus Network lately? I tried yesterday afternoon and couldn't get in on the 360.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can I be on Team Sarevok?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010

it's an awesome one.

I did it as a Vanguard as well and it was Locust time at the start till I got down to an acceptable number of enemies. I felt bad for playing it that way but that gun is just ridiculous so I wnt with it. If your talking very end then it was Locust for the nodes and the nuke when it opened.

Also Envoy's question
    Legion says nothing period through the whole thing. He is only referenced once in the very begining after the dish section if you have him in the party. Didn't speak to him back on the ship though.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    YOU EXIST BECAUSE WE ALLOW IT
    AND YOU WILL END BECAUSE WE DEMAND IT

EddieDean on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, technically...
    Harbinger isn't done yet and is presumably going to be our main enemy in ME3 leading all the other Reapers. We spent most of ME2 not even knowing he was a Reaper.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    EddieDean wrote: »
    YOU EXIST BECAUSE WE ALLOW IT
    AND YOU WILL END BECAUSE WE DEMAND IT

i love how sovereign's voice just completely bottoms out my subwoofer there. harby just doesn't have the same presence.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thats because Harby is a yellow-bellied coward, and Sovvie is a red-blooded patriot of the Reaper nation

Joolander on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    @leitner:

nothing so far. i'm thinking it's MMO games set in the DA:O and ME universes. if it is, i won't be able to partake in them anyway.

Really? Hurm, I would love some Reaperless Mass Effect (sorry guys, but space cthulu and big bads zomg whole galaxy threatened in general aren't my thing), and would adore some small scale stories which let you be something other than human/spectre, and some multi team work. Then again, MMOs aren’t my thing either. Come on Phantasy Star Online style or something.

Though they’re doing some kind of dialog system in the Kotor MMO right? How does that work?

Edit: Like multiple people with an NPC I mean, not you know, just with other players.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So here's my situation;

I hadn't played my current ME2 save for a while as I got distracted by RDR. I downloaded Overlord, started it up, and as soon as I went to start it, Edi goes off and next thing I know I'm playing as joker as collectors take my crew. I rebooted and tried ad different mission, and same thing that plot point kept going off. So I'm stuck with no crew with cues to go through the Omega Relay. I have about six more loyalty missions to do after I finish Overlord (I chose to play through Overlord no matter what happens to crew). Now my question is, can I still finish the loyalty missions without mucking up anything with my crew? Or should I forget the loyalty missions and initiate the end game as soon as possible?

Thanks!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I can't find the last data point in overlord. I've gotten the one near the entrance to Vulcan and 4 others from the stations scattered around the map. Would it kill them to give you a map of the area? :?

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jedi,
    you are going to lose someone no matter what you do

unless you start the endgame immediately and are rreeeeaaaaaallllly lucky

Joolander on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I can't find the last data point in overlord. I've gotten the one near the entrance to Vulcan and 4 others from the stations scattered around the map. Would it kill them to give you a map of the area? :?
    There's a bridge going to the Vulcan area. You can drop off that bridge. It's down there guarded by 2 YMIR.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    Jedi,
    you are going to lose someone no matter what you do

unless you start the endgame immediately and are rreeeeaaaaaallllly lucky

Ok, so should I just skip the loyalty missions? I guess I wouldn't hurt to have one disaster save file for ME3 :P

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    that really depends on who you like more

Joolander on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    depending on who you have loyal, it may be possible to save everyone, but like Joolander said you'd have to be pretty lucky

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Quads.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finally finished ME2 on the weekend, and holy shit was that a crazy ride. They ramped the Epic up past what I expected, and having been a bit of a completionist before I went on the final run, it was very, very satisfying to see my work pay off without even knowing how it would do so.

Went through on Normal with my ME1 imported male Paragon Engineer, and had an absolute blast. I enjoyed the combat (even if the presence of cover made it obvious when a fight was about to errupt 90% of the time), loved the dialogue and was really, deeply impressed with the little notes, nods, messages and references made to my actions not just in the game, but in the previous one as well.

Which is to say I'm months behind and you guys have probably already been over this a dozen times, but I'm done and wanted to share with someone who might possibly give a shit.

Bits I loved (are we still spoilering ME2, or just the new content?);
    - Wrecking a whole bunch of people's shit with a single renegade action in Miranda's loyalty mission. So many times in both words and actions, I'd click not knowing what was going to happen, and it was either what I'd hoped would be said/done, or went beyond my expecations. Neck snapping one guy and then dropping a cargo container on a bunch of others certainly gave the "no, no, fuck YOU" experience I was looking for in that scenario.

- Playing as Joker, and then later his and EDI's interactions. Joker was pretty awesome in the first game, but they really improved on him for this one. Great humour and his playable sequence was one of my favourite parts of the game. His delivery of the line "What the shit?" kills me every time I hear it, and seeing him provide cover fire at the very end was pretty awesome too.

- Speaking of which; the whole suicide mission was epic on a scale I simply wasn't prepared for. The lead in cinematic was something I'd have paid to see in a movie, especially when we got to take out the ship that ruined the first Normandy. Having the full cast working throughout the invasion of the collector ship and swapping teams up multiple times really gave the sense of scope/scale and including everyone that I feel is often missing from these games, where you have a team of a half dozen or more, but when it comes down to the end only a small handful actually seem to do anything. I think the last game I played that gave attention to this minor detail was Final Fantasy 6. Without any help I managed to get 9/10 back on the the suicide run (for some reason when Miranda was my Biotic shield, Jack got eaten by the swarm. Had Samara as the shield on my second playthrough of that section, and everyone made it back easily).

I'm thinking I may push my Engineer on to get the last 4 or 5 levels I need for the Level 30 achievement and then either start a fresh character, pick up my imported Paragon Soldier, or go back to ME1 and finish my Forar: Biotic Douchebag renegade run for importing.

Oh, and this is the second time I've bought a ME game and gotten screwed on the pricing. The first time I bought ME1 during the holiday sale, and literally 2 weeks later they dropped the price below the price the sale had been at, which was weird. This time, I bought DA:O and ME2 within a couple of weeks of each other.. and then had the EA sale week go down shortly thereafter. I mean, it's not like giving money to Valve and Bioware is poorly spent, but I found the timing of the sales hillarious.

I'll be sure to warn you guys the next time I plan to buy a big Bioware title, so you can all wait 2 weeks and then buy it on sale. 8-)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krogan have four testicles that's twice as many as men lololololol

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I started an Insanity run with a Vanguard. Dear God is it slow going. The fights take forever it seems. Am I missing something with my strategy. I am still low level so my Charge is like level 2. Which does not seem to matter as I cannot charge until the end of a fight as I end up surrounding and out of luck. Any suggestions? I played Soldier last time so this is all new to me.

This is my first run with Zaeed and Kasumi though. She is pretty awesome with her Shadowstrike. Zaeed is one scary looking mutha'.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know where the 'Sovereign twirls his moustache' thing came from last thread. When you first encounter him, he doesn't tell you anything but "Yeah, we've done this before, we're doing it again: deal wit it."

You don't learn his plan until the last planet, and then it's oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got ME1 last week (yay Steam sale)...I don't have a 360, and my PC is circa 2004...but once I build a new box, it's on.

Sigh...stupid financial responsibility. I'd love to build a new PC *right now* but that'll have to wait a few months, at least....

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have Kasumi installed but haven't actually played it yet. Because I am a bad person. Is Overlord any good? Should I bother to pay the few bucks to get it?

I keep wondering if I should play ME1 since I haven't ever touched it. At the same time I don't feel like being frustrated by the differences between the games.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited June 2010
    the answers to all your questions are YES

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Overlord was pretty good and even though it didn't have anything as awesome as Kasumi and the Locust it was still a good story and experience.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i like how Overlord actually incorporates Shepard's implants into the story

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Overlord's writing is top-notch, not so much for the dialogue, of which there isn't a whole lot, but for all of the clever little "Heh" moments, and Shepard's immaculately timed reactions to them. The entire mission, of course, leads up to Shepard Pressing A Button, and before he presses it he says to his teammates, "Get ready, I wouldn't be surprised if pushing this thing summons a Reaper."

Fairchild on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Played through Overlod. That was pretty awesome.
    Pissed that you couldn't put a bullet on Archer's dome though.

DarkCrawler on