As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

girl advice

ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever warRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
okay, so i've been working with this girl for about 6 months now. we're both 21. she works in a different department then me. basically, shes been kind of flirting with me (smiles and waves whenever she sees me, etc). we also go to the same college, and usually joke around or talk about school and whatnot. i can tell she has a crush on me, and one of her friends who also works with us told me that she talks about me. she has an old boyfriend who lives in peru (she moved to the US around 2001), but its one of those extremly long distance relationships, she hasnt seen him since last summer i think but they talk over the phone and whatnot.

ive asked her out to dinner once, but she said she wasnt able to go because of midterms. at first i just took that as a "no" and didnt ask her out again, but she kept kind of flirting with me and her friend said that she told her i asked her out but she wasnt able to go cause she needed to study, so im thinking now that it really was because she couldnt go and wasnt a rejection. a few weeks later she even gave me her cell number right after she got a new phone, but im not too sure if shes just trying to be friends with me (because she already sort of has a boyfriend) or if shes interested in going out with me. i havent really called her up yet for that very reason

normally if a girl had a boyfriend i wouldnt even think of asking them out or anything, but i think this situation is a bit different. college classes are over may 7th, and im not quite sure if i should ask her out again or not, or what i should do

Zavian on

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So.

She has a boyfriend.

Her "flirting" with you has consisted of smiles and waving when a greeting would be expected of anyone.

I'd say to let this one go, buddy.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I'm thinking that you're seeing more here than there really is.

From what you've said, it doesn't seem like she's flirting with you. It seems like she's just being friendly. Saying hi and waving isn't flirting. You asked her out, and she said no. Sure, she gave a reason, but that's something that females will do. Of course, as the problem solving males that we tend to be, we think "well, if we can get around that reason, all will be fine." If the girl was interested in going out, she would have said "I have finals so we can't be out late" or "I have finals this week but what about next week."

Count me in the "let it go" boat.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Would it break your heart if you asked her out and she said no? If not, then I don't see why you shouldn't.

At the very least, you'll get some closure when she says no.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Would it break your heart if you asked her out and she said no? If not, then I don't see why you shouldn't.

At the very least, you'll get some closure when she says no.

he already did. i also say let this one go, there's other fish in the sea.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Asking a girl out once and being told she had other plans is not being shot down. If he asked her out multiple times and the same thing happened, I agree. But once is hardly indicative of where he stands in her eyes. I say ask her out once more. Whatever happens, happens. Chances are she may not be interested, but the worst answer you can get is no, and if you don't ask you already have that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    As long as asking her out won't effect your work atmosphere too badly if you get rejected, go for it. But only if you can also accept a rejection and move on afterward.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    As long as asking her out won't effect your work atmosphere too badly if you get rejected, go for it. But only if you can also accept a rejection and move on afterward.

Good qualifications.

Yeah, one rejection isn't conclusive in this particular case, with a friend vouching for the legitimacy of the excuse (unless he's the one who asked the friend about it).

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zavian wrote: »
    she hasnt seen him since last summer i think but they talk over the phone and whatnot.

He's not a boyfriend anymore, he's a friend.

She flirts with you, and gave you her new number. She has in no way rejected you at this point. And by any realistic standards, she is not currently taken. You have every reason in the world to call that number, and ask her out again.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, ask again, and say that since midterms are over, you hope she has some free time for dinner. Finals aren't until the end of May, so if you get shot down again, you know she's just not that into you.

But hope springs eternal, and it's worth another shot.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    It's really easy to over-analyze and misinterpret the signs if you get too much into a person.

Besides, a lot of people don't know the difference between flirting and merely being friendly.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    It's really easy to over-analyze and misinterpret the signs if you get too much into a person.

Besides, a lot of people don't know the difference between flirting and merely being friendly.

So? The worst that could possibly happen, is she says no. Big deal.

Besides, flirting isn't a prerequisite for asking someone out. You don't need to wait for "signals."

Tiemler on
  • Options
    lrdgrifterlrdgrifter Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    I'd say try the after-work happy hour deal. Get a bunch of folks at work together to go on out to a decent local place for beer & food after work. Get her to come along. If there actually IS flirting going on, the addition of alcohol and a nice neutral public setting should help out.
    Just don't be all wierd about it, or you'll give off the creepy vibe. Nothing scares off the ladies like stalker vibes.

lrdgrifter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    lrdgrifter wrote: »
    Just don't be all wierd about it, or you'll give off the creepy vibe. Nothing scares off the ladies like stalker vibes.

C'mon, this isn't the little red haired girl, and he isn't Charlie Brown. He'd not admiring her from afar, they know each other, and she seems to like him.

Just ask her out. Either call her, or ask her out in person next time you see her.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Frankly, I think it's a little creepy to go to that much trouble to find out a person's feelings when you can just ask them directly.

Not to mention getting a person drunk for honesty doesn't always work well, if they're the type to feel embarrassed afterwards. I hate myself for anything I say while drunk.
    I'd say try the after-work happy hour deal. Get a bunch of folks at work together to go on out to a decent local place for beer & food after work. Get her to come along. If there actually IS flirting going on, the addition of alcohol and a nice neutral public setting should help out.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

So? The worst that could possibly happen, is she says no. Big deal.

It is a big deal if you get your hopes up and over-analyze, is my point.
    Besides, flirting isn't a prerequisite for asking someone out. You don't need to wait for "signals."

No, it is not a prerequisite. It just moves the thing from "awkward and sudden" to "normal and fun".

flirting: playful behavior intended to arouse sexual interest.
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

ege02 on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why would you ask someone out who already has a boyfriend? Even if the guy is in another country, she's involved romantically with him in some facet, so he'd likely be the topic of conversation if you did go out to dinner or what have you.

Also, 'smiling and waving' is just being friendly. Flirting would be making a suggestive comment to you or some such. Still, if she is flirting with you then she's probably not all that satisfied with her current guy. I'd say continue to be friendly and when she breaks it off with this guy, make your move.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Why would you ask someone out who already has a boyfriend? Even if the guy is in another country, she's involved romantically with him in some facet, so he'd likely be the topic of conversation if you did go out to dinner or what have you.

It doesn't work that way. A lot of women who really do consider themselves single, have these "boyfriends" a couple states away, or in another country, but it's over, they just haven't moved on yet, and won't until they find someone new.

If it's actually an active relationship, that's different. But let her tell you that. Let her tell you if she's taken. Don't ask, just pay attention.

If you ask her out, and she says she has a boyfriend, fine. If you ask her out, and you both enjoy yourselves, but she mentions her boyfriend a few times during the date, clearly she's still committed. And in that case, maybe she's just looking for a friend.

But if you two go out, and she doesn't say a word about him (don't ask), she may be ready to move on.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    she hasnt seen him since last summer i think but they talk over the phone and whatnot.

He's not a boyfriend anymore, he's a friend.

She flirts with you, and gave you her new number. She has in no way rejected you at this point. And by any realistic standards, she is not currently taken. You have every reason in the world to call that number, and ask her out again.

wow there, just cause he's in another country doesn't mean he's not a boyfriend. i had a 2 year long distance relationship and you can still be very close to your SO.

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wow there, just cause he's in another country doesn't mean he's not a boyfriend. i had a 2 year long distance relationship and you can still be very close to your SO.

I said it before, I'll say it again. Don't assume anything, let her tell you if she's taken.

Don't do this stalker shit where you have to build a file on someone before asking them out. There's a simpler way, that lets her be judge of her own status with this other guy. Ask her out. Period.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    thanks for the advice everyone. i think i will ask her out after finals, if she says no or says she has a boyfriend already then it wouldn't break my heart or anything. i can accept a rejection and move on and be friends still. i'll take your advice tiemler and just pay attention. either way though i wouldn't mind just being friends with her, we get along pretty well and usually have plenty of things to talk about so if she is really just interested in me as a friend i wouldn't mind that at all

Zavian on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    thanks for the advice everyone. i think i will ask her out after finals, if she says no or says she has a boyfriend already then it wouldn't break my heart or anything. i can accept a rejection and move on and be friends still. i'll take your advice tiemler and just pay attention. either way though i wouldn't mind just being friends with her, we get along pretty well and usually have plenty of things to talk about so if she is really just interested in me as a friend i wouldn't mind that at all

If she has told you she has a boyfriend (or knows that you know) and you ask her out, you'll look like a douche.

ege02 on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If she has told you she has a boyfriend (or knows that you know) and you ask her out, you'll look like a douche.

If said boyfriend is standing next to her, then yes. In this case, he is in another continent or non-existant. Don't listen to this advice.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »

If said boyfriend is standing next to her, then yes. In this case, he is in another continent or non-existant. Don't listen to this advice.

actually she hasnt told me she has a boyfriend or mentioned him to me, i know about him through a mutual friend of ours. ive never asked her or talked to her about it, and shes never brought it up before

Zavian on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Halfmex wrote: »

It doesn't work that way. A lot of women who really do consider themselves single, have these "boyfriends" a couple states away, or in another country, but it's over, they just haven't moved on yet, and won't until they find someone new.

If it's actually an active relationship, that's different. But let her tell you that. Let her tell you if she's taken. Don't ask, just pay attention.

If you ask her out, and she says she has a boyfriend, fine. If you ask her out, and you both enjoy yourselves, but she mentions her boyfriend a few times during the date, clearly she's still committed. And in that case, maybe she's just looking for a friend.

But if you two go out, and she doesn't say a word about him (don't ask), she may be ready to move on.

This contradicts with what you said later on:
    I said it before, I'll say it again. Don't assume anything...

Just because she isn't mentioning a boyfriend does not mean you can assume she is ready to move on.

In any case, I don't agree with your advice. It is always, always much simpler to simply ask the girl if she is seeing anyone.

If she is interested in you, she will say no, even if the real answer is yes. If she is not interested in you, she will say yes, even if the real answer is no.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Just because she isn't mentioning a boyfriend does not mean you can assume she is ready to move on.

In any case, I don't agree with your advice. It is always, always much simpler to simply ask the girl if she is seeing anyone.

If she is interested in you, she will say no, even if the real answer is yes. If she is not interested in you, she will say yes, even if the real answer is no.

so maybe i should ask her if she has a boyfriend even though i know about her old boyfriend in peru? i can see how not mentioning "do you have a boyfriend" before asking her out might be easier for her though, if she is interested she wont have to lie and say no even if the real answer is yes, so it might be better to just simply ask her out and not ask her if she has a boyfriend. i think i might as well just ask her out again though and just see how it goes

Zavian on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    She may just tell the truth either way....some women do actually say what they mean. Also, if it turns out she does have a boyfriend and it's long distance, I think you should ask yourself if you are the type of person who respects long distance relationships or not. If she says yes, he's in Peru, and they never see each other, what's you're next move? Do you leave it be or do you continue to pursue her? I agree with ege that if she knows you know she's in a relationship and go after her anyway, she'll think you're a douche.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    witch_ie wrote: »
    She may just tell the truth either way....some women do actually say what they mean. Also, if it turns out she does have a boyfriend and it's long distance, I think you should ask yourself if you are the type of person who respects long distance relationships or not. If she says yes, he's in Peru, and they never see each other, what's you're next move? Do you leave it be or do you continue to pursue her? I agree with ege that if she knows you know she's in a relationship and go after her anyway, she'll think you're a douche.

yea, this is why im thinking it might just be simpler to just ask her out and not even ask if she has a boyfriend already. besides, i dont know all the details about their relationship as i didnt really ask my friend for all the info or anything, it just came up in conversation

Zavian on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

so maybe i should ask her if she has a boyfriend even though i know about her old boyfriend in peru? i can see how not mentioning "do you have a boyfriend" before asking her out might be easier for her though, if she is interested she wont have to lie and say no even if the real answer is yes, so it might be better to just simply ask her out and not ask her if she has a boyfriend. i think i might as well just ask her out again though and just see how it goes

I usually ask, "so what is your relationship status these days?" and smile.

It's a more open-ended question that hints at the same thing.

Anyway, do what you want.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yea, this is why im thinking it might just be simpler to just ask her out and not even ask if she has a boyfriend already.

This is the right approach here, based on what I'm hearing.

For starters, you don't even know if this first date will be the beginning of a relationship or just make you closer friends. In my opinion, if anything, it's a second date question, if she hasn't said something already.

Tiemler on