As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 6-16-10: I have allergies, you know

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Graphic Violence
Pet Avengers #4 gets serious:

pa4a.jpg

pa4b.jpg

pa4c.jpg

The girl is actually sleeping and it's a dream world where kids have their imaginationland, but the little girl is actually growing up and lashing out at her childhood friends. It's actually very very well written and touching.

And while it was a good ending to a good mini, the special coming out next month should be epic:

pa4d.jpg

Puppy Lockjaw!!!!!!

TexiKen on

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, so I grabbed some single issues of Pet Avengers, and now that I know there's TWO mini's I'm less confused, I had 1 and 2 of the first mini I guess, then 3 of the other then 4 of the first again ( confused the hell outta me when thanos came outta no where, then was gone the next issue rofl)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My MotW was my copy of the Darkness Compendium arriving. It has issues 1-40 + some other issues of The Darkness in a nice, hard back book. Working my way through it has been sucking up my nights this week. It's been great.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh god pupjaw squeal

Motw was the fun clone nonsense of x factor forever with delicious overwrought dialogue.

desc on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, Darkwing Duck #1 was soul-crushing. The story picks up with Darkwing having been retired for a year, with every citizen of St. Canard now employed by a single, faceless corporation called Quackwerks, including one of DW's old nemeses. DW's faithful sidekick Launchpad is in seclusion, and his daughter Gosalyn is at a private school designed to deal with her behavioral problems. And with Quackwerks' Crimebots patrolling the city, Darkwing Duck has been reduced to mild-mannered Drake Mallard. Just another cog in the corporate machine.
    ilbtr5.jpg

25g4f1g.jpg

o50xs5.jpg

Later..

2d1kaoz.jpg
    I don't know what's more sad. That first panel of Darkwing, or the fact that Launchpad's still spending his days polishing up the Duckplane, a year after his partner retired.
    Really, I don't usually go for grim updates on old childhood cartoons, but this straddles the line nicely. It's a bit like The Incredibles; the reader meets Darkwing at a low point, with his whole world having become boring and sterilized, and sets up the protagonist to make a major comeback, and return to form. If you were at all a fan of the old cartoon, I'd highly recommend it.

Munch on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought Deadpool MWAM continued to be decent though they are starting to make the M.Zombies look like chumps.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Deadpool MWAM #12
    1z3sar8.jpg
    Hah! Fuck you, Doug.

Later, there's also a pretty good metahumor gag where Deadpool turns the Absorbing Man into toilet paper.

Despite kind of slagging on Sean McKeever in the bitching thread, I did like this page from Age of Heroes.
    The story's kind of a nod to Spider-Man No More, Must There Be a Superman, etc. Basically, Gravity's had a shitty time lately, so he's ready to hang up his superhero costume for good. On the way to New York, he spots teenage supervillain Warhead blowing up parts of Cleveland, and beats him up.
    10qhzpi.jpg

Aside from being a nice sentiment, and a good character moment, the last panel's also a nice visual homage to the cover of the first Gravity mini-series.

I was pretty disappointed with Atlas #1, but Atlas #2? Oh yeah, that's the shit.
    3534e48.jpg
    3-D Man, you're never not terrible, are you?
    The issue also has Mr. Lao becoming smitten by a certain siren, and the Nordic branch of Atlas using technology to control what I suspect are Atlas-Era Monsters.

Munch on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    God, is he gone by the end of hte issue?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    3-D Man actually does some useful stuff later.

Really, despite how lame his powers sound, they should be cool. It's stated that he's 3x as strong/fast/etc. as a man at peak physical capability. So on paper, he's Captain America x3. Unfortunately, I don't know how well that works on the comic page. He's strong, but nowhere near as strong as Namora, or even Gorilla Man. So you can't have him doing crazy feats of strength. He's fast, but he's not Quicksilver. He's tough, but he's not M-11. He can't shoot beams out of his eyes, he doesn't carry a shield, a gun, or any other accessory. Outside of his vision powers, which aren't really a visual power, he doesn't have much going for him. So he's just kind of boring to watch.

This is actually addressed later in the issue, where Jimmy tells him that he feels the same way, but can still be the most useful member of the group under the right conditions. So I'm sure Parker's going to set him up to save the team's asses at some point. To me, it seems like he's going to end up tied into that weird dimension that the team traversed in Vol. 2, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I read those issues.

Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Made it to the store this week. Today actually. I had Punisher 16 and 17, King City 8 and Orc Stain 3. I'm missing KC 7 and OS 2. :( I did skim both of the issues I did get, and things look awesome as hell.

Punisher, man this is good stuff. Totally awesome. The fight with Hellsgaard was some kickass metal stuff. And issue 17 sees Frank healing from that brawl, chatting a bit with his helper Henry, and visiting his family. A recent enemy tries to kill him at his family's gravesite, so Frank decides it is time to go after the those who tried to take the bounty on him.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Oh god pupjaw squeal

Motw was the fun clone nonsense of x factor forever with delicious overwrought dialogue.

My LCS didn't get any copies of XFF, what was Simonson's take on mutants that was hinted at the end of issue #3 by Apocalypse? They can't have kids unless someone like Sinister messes with their genes?

edit: and looking at most of the stuff this week, a lot of comics were darker than normal. Even Pet Avengers got dark. DC of course does it on purpose but other things like ASM and Darkwing Duck, bad week to be happy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    My LCS didn't get any copies of XFF, what was Simonson's take on mutants that was hinted at the end of issue #3 by Apocalypse? They can't have kids unless someone like Sinister messes with their genes?

The core thing Apocalypse is on about is his desire to study the
    viability of mutant-mutant offspring, because there's a mysterious lack of children given the various mutants. So yeah, you pretty much guessed it. The issue mostly serves to set up #5 as the finale with Apocalypse's genetic tinkering and Sinister's being at cross purposes. Caliban actually explains most of what's going on to X-Factor (Apocalypse runs off with the baby), so he lays it on everyone about the various questions -- what's the deal with the kid, why aren't there mutant-mutant offspring running around everywhere, is Sinister involved or not, and I guess we will get our answers and the final brawl next issue.

desc on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Punisher 17 is so damn awesome. It sounds lol neo-90s talking about it, but if you read it, it is so awesome.
    He rides a damn motorcycle to pay respects to his family's graves, while carrying the Bloodstone in his chest, wearing a new skull t-shirt and a trenchcoat. Oh, and ninja goons jump him and he has a goddamned arsenal under his coat. It is glorious

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    New Avengers was pretty awesome, but this part made me laugh out loud:
    Logansmutantability.png
    CONTEXT: Luke Cage is trying to convince The Thing to join his Avengers.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ugh that dialogue

ugh

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Too awesome for you to handle TLB?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Too awesome for you to handle TLB?

too meta

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there were better New Avengers wolverine jokes

"maybe it'll grow back bigger" was a good one

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    ZenTellahZenTellah Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    New Mutants 14: "I gotta be honest, old man. I'm starting to worry about the other one."

ZenTellah on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, really enjoyed New Mutants #14 all around.

Even if Rockslide was only in two panels.

Furu on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is anyone following the Black Widow ongoing? Issue 3 came out last week and it was pretty cool. Acuna does awesome art as usual.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Is anyone following the Black Widow ongoing? Issue 3 came out last week and it was pretty cool. Acuna does awesome art as usual.

I've been following it so far. Seems decent, mostly grabbed it for that Acuna art. Having said that, street level / espionage Marvel is sometimes the best Marvel so I am curious to see where this goes.

desc on