As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION! Comic-related Movies, TV, Video Games

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's an awesome idea. If they knock out the introductions in these little 10 minute films, we won't have to waste actual movie time to explain origins and powers. My biggest problem with superhero movies is that every time a franchise gets introduced or rebooted, we waste a majority of time or the entire first film showing origins. There are decades of comic material for the audience to read if they want to know back stories, make them want to go and buy it.

I feel the same, I will attempt to save us 2+ hrs of future rehashing
    Uncle Ben dies, Bruce Wayne's parents die, and mutants have it rough during puberty,

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2010
    It has Megan Fox in it. Her acting skills alone should've carried that film into territory high above Toy Story 3.

Her other recent movie (I forgot the name because it was written by Diablo Cody so I avoided it like the plague) was also a huge bomb IIRC. She's officially box office poison now.

Opium on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I think its just that 7£ is too expensive to see only th epromise of tits and ass in the modern world. I can get that shit for realsies for only $9.99 a month bro, high five!

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's an awesome idea. If they knock out the introductions in these little 10 minute films, we won't have to waste actual movie time to explain origins and powers. My biggest problem with superhero movies is that every time a franchise gets introduced or rebooted, we waste a majority of time or the entire first film showing origins. There are decades of comic material for the audience to read if they want to know back stories, make them want to go and buy it.

Uncle Ben dies, Bruce Wayne's parents die, and mutants have it rough during puberty,

Many characters just don't have that interesting an origin and don't need 2+ hours to tell it or force a bad guy into it. Luke Cage? 10 minutes is perfect. Dr. Strange could go either way, but not dwelling on his origin keeps an air of mystery about him.

Dazzler? I'm not even sure if she warrants more than 10 minutes as a focus character...

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    First pictures from Green Hornet.

Seth Rogen looks great, but I'm still not remotely interested in this project.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    who did they get to replace Bruce Lee?

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    who did they get to replace Bruce Lee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gNDOmc0J3w&feature=related

This guy, apparently.

He was also in a movie called Kung Fu Dunk.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Didn't they talk about having Stephen Chow play Kato for a while?

That would have been pretty rad.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On second thought, I'll watch it because of Christopher Waltz and the possibility of seeing Gondry do some crazy visual effects.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

Many characters just don't have that interesting an origin and don't need 2+ hours to tell it or force a bad guy into it. Luke Cage? 10 minutes is perfect. Dr. Strange could go either way, but not dwelling on his origin keeps an air of mystery about him.

Dazzler? I'm not even sure if she warrants more than 10 minutes as a focus character...

YOU BEST RETHINK THIS POST

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

YOU BEST RETHINK THIS POST
    you're right, five minutes at best

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    antimatter don't make me cut you

I will cut you so bad

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    please, Kup has my back

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not against TLB he don't.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A 10 minute story about the Jim Hammond Human Torch at the beginning of Captain America would make sense, although that would confuse the viewer, seeing a robot turn into flames as opposed to a FF member, all the while Chris Evans, the FF Human Torch, is now Captain America. They will furrow their brow in a vain attempt to understand the situation, culminating is telling others "oh yeah?" and "come here a minute."

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just want my ten minutes of Moon Knight or Nova and I'll be a happy camper.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There is a fun thought. If Green Lantern is somehow inexplicably successful, maybe Marvel would do a Nova movie, which would undoubtedly rock.

Rans on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Didn't they talk about having Stephen Chow play Kato for a while?

That would have been pretty rad.

He was even in talks to direct it. But mysterious things happened and he ended up not attached to the project at all.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    look I read annihilation and all that jazz

I still ain't understand the huge nova boner

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Richard Rider is Geoff Johns' version of Hal Jordan but Rider actually accomplished things to earn big praise instead of us just being told he's great by other heroes (and they don't even care because they're jerks).

The Nova movie would be good but the Nova Corps were basically a rip off of the GL Corps, so that might be too close for Marvel to play with.

Now a Quasar movie could work, where it goes with the original premise: dude has to protect the galaxy but is basically given an outdated weapon and has to make due with what he's got.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    look his name is dick rider

you gonna take a dude named dick rider seriously

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2010
    I dunno, I take you seriously on some topics and dick rider is your profession

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Richard Rider is Geoff Johns' version of Hal Jordan but Rider actually accomplished things to earn big praise instead of us just being told he's great by other heroes (and they don't even care because they're jerks).

The Nova movie would be good but the Nova Corps were basically a rip off of the GL Corps, so that might be too close for Marvel to play with.

Now a Quasar movie could work, where it goes with the original premise: dude has to protect the galaxy but is basically given an outdated weapon and has to make due with what he's got.

Its ok to rip off Green Lantern, because they ripped off Lensmen.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

ice cold.

Angry on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    AH HA HA HA HA HA

The Green Hornet trailer.

*wipes away tears of laughter*

Ah....TLB will love this movie. Everyone else, won't.

And hey, its in 3D!

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Because you are of inferior taste TLB. It's the only explanation.

Solar on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any movie with Nova better have some Peter Quill

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    Any movie with Nova better have some Peter Quill

Yup.

And Green Hornet looks mega cool. Kato is da man.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A 10 minute story about the Jim Hammond Human Torch at the beginning of Captain America would make sense, although that would confuse the viewer, seeing a robot turn into flames as opposed to a FF member, all the while Chris Evans, the FF Human Torch, is now Captain America. They will furrow their brow in a vain attempt to understand the situation, culminating is telling others "oh yeah?" and "come here a minute."

Oh yeah? Come 'ere a minute.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Golded as best as possible for solid gold.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    AH HA HA HA HA HA

The Green Hornet trailer.

*wipes away tears of laughter*

Ah....TLB will love this movie. Everyone else, won't.

And hey, its in 3D!

I don't know, it doesn't look horrible. I really don't know what the tone is going to end up being though. Roger is just being Rogen, but everything else looks like they are playing the superhero angle pretty straight.

I'm dissapointed that it looks so normal. Considering it's directed by Gondry, I expected it to look well, 'different'

noir_blood on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

You and me both, brother.

As far as I can tell it's because he's in a good comic. Which automatically makes him better than all the other Marvel characters that have been in good comics because ???

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Furu wrote: »

You and me both, brother.

As far as I can tell it's because he's in a good comic. Which automatically makes him better than all the other Marvel characters that have been in good comics because ???

Though the fact that his comic is very well-written does help massively, Nova is easy to get behind as a character. He's heroic and determiend but not preachy and is many ways a bit of an everyman. He's tough and competent but hasn't lost his sense of compassion and humanity, he kicks ass but doesn't seem overwrought, he gave Tony Stark a hard time but he wasn't a dick about it. He's just a bro, though as I said the quality of writing makes reading about Nova much more enjoyable.

I like him because he's an honest hero, not a prick, and knows how to get stuff done.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nova's a good character, plain and simple. Annihilation showed us all that, and by making him go beyond the earth to the cosmic level he was able to shine. He's a hardened war veteran but he's still a good person at heart, like Solar wrote he's still honest and isn't a jerk like other heroes are. He also doesn't cuss because that would just be wrong.

It's not Nova's fault his character was given good stories over the years while Captain America and Tony were given flimsy premises to hang their differences on, enough to make them fight about it and be just real jerks.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

geebs we been over this

dick ridin' ain't a profession

it's a way of life

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not when you're getting paid for it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    voting Groot for best dialogue in a comic medium

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    look I think Nova is rad as hell

but he really isn't this be-all end-all hero of heroes

plus Drax is cooler

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think a lot of people are taken with Nova because they really got to watch him evolve and grow over the course of Annihilation. A lot of characters, especially A-list characters, are forever frozen in amber, unable to move forward. But Nova went from a reality TV show star, to the last of the Nova Corps, to General Patton, and now to space's top cop., in a relatively short span of time.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    From
    stubblenova2.jpg

to
    NOVA010.jpg

Weaver on
This discussion has been closed.