As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead

• lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Fuck man. I REALLY wish I could unsee those covers.

Don't worry, with all the delays this book has you'll have completely forgotten them by the time they come out some time next year...

lessthanpi on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I bet it's a zombie baby

Algertman on
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn I'm in agreeance.

I wish I would have heeded the spoiler alert and not looked...

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really do need to get the second hard bound trade of this... damn you non-infinite money supply!

Slagmire on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Funny, I was going to make my own thread about this. My library carries the series, and I just recently finished Vol. 4. I request that everyone marks their spoilers.

In the first volume, the writer began the series by promising that he wanted to do something that the typical zombie story tends to neglect: He wanted you to care about the characters in peril. I feel he succeeded in this.

In hindsight, it isn't really hard to do; just picture yourself and your loved ones in an apocalyptic, zombie-filled world and think about the different but ultimately likely ways you'll flip out. The characters in question are all everyday decent people, on the surface. But just as war can bring the ugly side out of humanity (I have Ice and Fire to thank for that perspective), so can the constant, lingering, and watching stench of death can turn people to violent and often fatal decisions; The most tragic deaths aren't the ones caused by the zombies. I praise this book for the many shades of gray regarding the victims. Protagonist Rick is a lot like Lost's Jack, except he lets the pressure get to his head, his morals slowly decaying more and more like the zombies outside.

I do have two major complaints with the series:

1. There is far too much unnecessary dialog peppered throughout the pages. The writers either use too much text to describe a situation or event when just a sentence or two would suffice, or they use too many words to convey how the characters are feeling. The former makes things too monotonous or confusing (for instance, in Vol. 3 where the characters are trying to figure out a way to stab the zombies behind the chain-link fence with a knife; when one person comes up with a simple solution, the amount of text turns a simple design into a complicated mess), and the latter isn't needed at all considering that this is a comic, where emotions and thoughts can be expressed in visuals.

2. Some of the shocking moments give me the feeling that Kirkman just wants to randomly shock the reader in typical zombie fashion. The majority of deaths or decisions do have some foreboding to them, and most can be attributed to the fact that everyone is under severe pressure, but some scenes feel like exploitation (the same complaint I gave to Ice and Fire). Some scenes in particular:
    The lez-out moment in vol 3.

Rick and Tyrese beating the living hell out of each other because of the attempted suicide (vol 4).

Michone, in a nutshell. She goes from zombie-slaying samurai with her undead pets, sex maniac to Tyrese, and closet schizophrenic all under one volume. Just pick a personality and stick with it.

"Hay Guys! I'm a redneck, so I guess that makes me a racist too! Fuck you niggers! It's edgy, not stereotypical!"

I applaud the nonstop tragedy and tension in this series, but after wave after wave of deaths and conflicts it starts to feel somewhat forced.

Regardless, this is a great read. It's one of the most mature and unforgiving comic books out there, but I really feel that the series would do much better if Kirkman cut back on the repetitive dialog and focused more on silent pages. Everyone knows the subtle and silent horror stories are the most terrifying.

This would make a great movie, or possibly a series on HBO.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I agree on the cutting back of the dialog, even if it's not Kirkman's style. When he does cut back on it, it's when something absolutely terrible happens such as
    The girl's heads being cut off by that asshole in prison
    , so he at least knows when the situation fits.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited May 2007
    I actually noticed that in Marvel Zombies too.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    2. Some of the shocking moments give me the feeling that Kirkman just wants to randomly shock the reader in typical zombie fashion. The majority of deaths or decisions do have some foreboding to them, and most can be attributed to the fact that everyone is under severe pressure, but some scenes feel like exploitation

I don't want to spoil anything but you're likely to be really unhappy with the 5th and 6th tpb's.

lessthanpi on
  • Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    lessthanpi wrote: »
    2. Some of the shocking moments give me the feeling that Kirkman just wants to randomly shock the reader in typical zombie fashion. The majority of deaths or decisions do have some foreboding to them, and most can be attributed to the fact that everyone is under severe pressure, but some scenes feel like exploitation

I don't want to spoil anything but you're likely to be really unhappy with the 5th and 6th tpb's.
    Is there at least a chainsaw kill in the 5th or 6th volume?

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
    edited May 2007

Well....this might give away too much...but..
    Sorry, no chainsaws. There is however rape, mutilation, severed limbs, gladiator fighting, and nearly and entire issue of torture (with a spoon among other things)
    Has anyone actually read all the way through to issue 37 other than me?

lessthanpi on
    edited May 2007
    wow volume 6 had some pretty crazy moments.
    Like Otis becoming one of the biters, Michonne turning around and doing the same thing or even worse to The Govenor, and Rick admitting to his wife he doesn't care about anyone besides her and Carl.

Definitely one of the best thus far.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    lessthanpi wrote: »

Well....this might give away too much...but..
    Sorry, no chainsaws. There is however rape, mutilation, severed limbs, gladiator fighting, and nearly and entire issue of torture (with a spoon among other things)
    Has anyone actually read all the way through to issue 37 other than me?

The last issue that I read had the group
    about to head off to find the place where the town was getting their supplies from so they could get more guns and ammo and Rick's wife about to drop a bomb on him about when Rick was in the hospital.

Grifter on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I read through to the latest issue. It is pretty awesome... Rick's wife can DIAF though.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I think she will turn into a zombie based on the next couple of covres

graizur on
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, personally, as long as I had a girl or two a zombie apocolypse wouldn't really bother me all that much. I could certainly use the elbow room. Only downside: No new content.

graizur on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thank you thread.

I just started reading this, and am up to no. 5.
    This is actually pretty good, I like the "survivalist", character driven apporach, rather than the splatterfest angle. I'm also currently reading World War Z too... So I'm on a bit of a Zombie kick.

I admit, I scoffed at the above idea of a TV series - but it could actually work. If the focused on the people more than the zombies... everyone out to survive - who can you trust? etc. [/wistful]

Point and case: Its a zombie comic... and I'm wondering how he's going to take the news...
    That his wife had a "night" with his [police]partner

I'd actually call that mission achieved.

*Edited for less accidental homoerotic threesome innuendo*

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I was just at the comic shop and my friend that works there showed me the preview cover for a couple of months down the line.....wow....

Fairly huge spoiler
    The image is of Rick violently vomiting blood all over himself, very much looking like he's becoming a zombie. The caption made mention of the fact that NOBODY is safe in this title.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • jonny_consequencejonny_consequence Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Beyond just being a great zombie book, The Walking Dead is one of my favorite comics currently being published in any genre. People whine that it's slow and talky, but I think it actually moves along pretty well (Invincible actually seems more glacially paced to me) and I don't mind talky. Kirkman is a master at playing with the reader's emotions and running his characters through the wringer; I can think of few forms of serial fiction with a more merciless policy towards killing off and generally tormenting their own cast. (Granted, it's a huge cast, so the misery gets spread around.)

New issue today:
    Carol lets go for good. With a typically cheeky cover to get you thinking Lori's next in line for membership in the undead hordes.

jonny_consequence on
  • Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do they have the collections of these like they have th trade paper backs. I have a few issues and want them all but i dont want to have to order each issue for a comic shop outside of town.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
    edited August 2007
    Do they have the collections of these like they have th trade paper backs. I have a few issues and want them all but i dont want to have to order each issue for a comic shop outside of town.

Yeah, they have TPB's for the series.

Grifter on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

Yeah, they have TPB's for the series.

first 6 volumes are out. Volume 7 supposedly coming out around a month from now.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Beyond just being a great zombie book, The Walking Dead is one of my favorite comics currently being published in any genre. People whine that it's slow and talky, but I think it actually moves along pretty well (Invincible actually seems more glacially paced to me) and I don't mind talky. Kirkman is a master at playing with the reader's emotions and running his characters through the wringer; I can think of few forms of serial fiction with a more merciless policy towards killing off and generally tormenting their own cast. (Granted, it's a huge cast, so the misery gets spread around.)

New issue today:
    Carol lets go for good. With a typically cheeky cover to get you thinking Lori's next in line for membership in the undead hordes.

Things I learned after reading the Walking Dead today...
    Rick is so far out of control of the survivors that its not even worth drudging on about anymore, and Carol is batshit crazy.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyone see the cover of issue 42? It has the guy who had his leg cut off with both legs on the cover, but Rick doesnt have his hand. I dont know if they just edited an older image they had lying around and forgot the old dudes leg or what. Pretty odd mistake though.

Spoiler for cover. Hes the guy on the left of Rick.
    jun071924d.jpg

General spoilers about series and speculation on upcoming issues just in case someone hasnt read that far.
    I love this series though. I was a tad disappointed when I first started the trade a while back and it opens with a 28 days Later rip off with him in a coma and waking up to the zombie apocalypse, but the series just got so good that it didnt even matter. Another zombie cliche I thought hed use is the new baby being a zombie, especially with the revelation that they are all infected with some zombie virus (well they dont say virus, but they become zombies no matter what way they die). So I figured theyd have it a zombie from birth.

I take it Kirkman is going to have the war between the 2 towns soon, as its the end of hte summer and winter will mean both groups have to buckle down. Doubt any could really wage any kind of war on each other during winter.

KVW on
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    Anyone see the cover of issue 42? It has the guy who had his leg cut off with both legs on the cover, but Rick doesnt have his hand. I dont know if they just edited an older image they had lying around and forgot the old dudes leg or what. Pretty odd mistake though.

jun071924d.jpg

General spoilers about series and speculation on upcoming issues just in case someone hasnt read that far.
    I love this series though. I was a tad disappointed when I first started the trade a while back and it opens with a 28 days Later rip off with him in a coma and waking up to the zombie apocalypse, but the series just got so good that it didnt even matter. Another zombie cliche I thought hed use is the new baby being a zombie, especially with the revelation that they are all infected with some zombie virus (well they dont say virus, but they become zombies no matter what way they die). So I figured theyd have it a zombie from birth.

I take it Kirkman is going to have the war between the 2 towns soon, as its the end of hte summer and winter will mean both groups have to buckle down. Doubt any could really wage any kind of war on each other during winter.
    I have been on and off with the Walking Dead because a good portion of their storylines are rehashed zombie genre cliches. However, for ever rehashed cliche, there is an interesting character or a solid, well developed storyline that keeps me reading it. I would say that Rick and Michone being captured and tortured in the other town was almost a call back to the third act of 28 days later, just a bit more extreme. However, Michone getting Medieval on the Governor was awesome.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
    edited September 2007
    I read the preview caption for the next few issues. They say that he is apparently not suffering from the change. Also, that his girl is moving more towards the black dude. I forget his name right now too. Also, Rick's wife goes batshit crazy and lets a zombie bite her on the neck or something soon after the birth of her daughter.

Grifter on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I read the preview caption for the next few issues. They say that he is apparently not suffering from the change. Also, that his girl is moving more towards the black dude. I forget his name right now too. Also, Rick's wife goes batshit crazy and lets a zombie bite her on the neck or something soon after the birth of her daughter.

Whatever you read was wrong.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2007

Its not his wife, its the woman that tried to fuck Rick, at least thats who I thought it was.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited September 2007
    weenus wrote: »

Its not his wife, its the woman that tried to fuck Rick, at least thats who I thought it was.

I guess I got the names mixed up then.
    [edit] And after reading the current story preview that's posted at Image, it looks like Dale actually did lose his leg. I guess I misread or something.

Grifter on
    edited September 2007
    This comic is awesome. I read 1-35 in one go... I'm having a harder time waiting for each ep... but I'm not strong enough to just come back to it later...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That's Dale. Allen was the one who got his leg cut off and died.

SithDrummer on
    edited September 2007

That's Dale. Allen was the one who got his leg cut off and died.

He has one leg now too.

Grifter on
    edited September 2007
    Ya, the first one they tried it on died due to blood loss / poorly executed amputation. The next one got bit in issue 40 I think and they had a nurse at that point from the other town. He was amputated properly and pulled through without turning. He's missing up to his knee, but has the whole leg in the preview cover.

KVW on
  • silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hey KVW is that weekly crisis yours? i like it

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

jun071924d.jpg

Actually, I believe that Kirkman has said that he wrote the first issue of the walking dead before 28 days later came out, so he didn't rip them off, it was just a coincidence.

Damn, that Carol was one crazy bitch. At least just gave up the cooch to Hershal's son before she suicided- that kid need some lovin'. It's good to see Dale survived his attack, but now I think he might be losing it, I doubt Tyreese ever wants Andrea. I'm really hoping my man Dale doesn't go buck nutty on my dude Tyreese. Also, I really wouldn't mind Lori getting the ax if it wasn't for Carl and Rick's general sanity.

Still my favourite comic coming out today. Kirkman is king.

LRG on
  • jonny_consequencejonny_consequence Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On recent story developments:
    It's a bit of a drag to see Dale starting to crack, since he's always been such a rock of stability for Rick and the others. But that's the nature of the beast, and a big part of what makes The Walking Dead so excellent: nobody is safe, physically or psychically. I had started to hope/suspect that some kind of redemption was in store for Carol, especially after her talk with Lori. But then . . .

I love this comic.

jonny_consequence on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, Rick's wife is such a bitch. I hope she dies soon.

DarkCrawler on
  • gabrielzerogabrielzero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This comic keeps picking up and staying fresh.

I never get bored of what's going on with the story. Which is why it's been on my reserve list for over a year now. :)

gabrielzero on
    Roleplay Adventures <--- If you like to role-play , then this is the forum for you. ^_^
    edited September 2007
    I dig the way no character is safe...
    I'm waiting for the next big arc to do with contact with the outside world.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    IGNComics just did an interview with Kirkman on The Walking Dead. If you have no idea how the book managed to get published, its pretty funny. Image didnt watn to publish a zombie book. They didnt think it would work out. So Kirkman tells them the zomibes will end up being created by aliens and the book will turn into a humans vs alien war and Image approves it. First issue came out and the publishers asks him where the hints for the aliens were or if there were any in the first issue since he couldnt see any. Kirkman tells him "i was lying, theres no aliens, I wanted to do a zombie book, sorry.". Guy emails him back and tells him its cool because he thinks the book is pretty awesome and aliens would just ruin it. You can check the rest of the interview out here.

KVW on
    edited September 2007
    Not that I mind, but you might want to let people know that it has a few full pages from the next issue...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]