As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crackdown 2: I can see my house from here.

12346»

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Ahaha, FINALLY got Wang for Psyche Out, and it only took me three tries on solo to do it! Lucky throw with a limpit charge threw his ass off the roof, and two fireflies later, *bing*. Man, I looooove limpit charges. <3

Also, interesting tidbit related to Crackdown 2 I noticed while playing:
    You know how when you place the first beacon thing in the underground lair there're some goodie lying around, marked on the map? They're marked with the Shai-Gen emblem. Sort of makes sense with the UV shotgun there since seeing as they made the Freaks they probably also developed specific anti-Freak weaponry.

Well, (Crackdown 1 spoiler)
    Shai-gen was funded entirely by the Agency anyway, so it all comes back to being their own damn fault.

In fact that is the biggest thing that bugs me so far about Crackdown 2
    There is very little explanation about how the city went from "olol gotcha we're actually manipulative fascists and now we can rule our perfect city with an iron fist without the people questioning us" to the current shit state of the city. There's a disconnect there between the power the Agency had by the end of the first game and how little they're able to control anything to the start of this game.

I know the story clearly isn't the major selling point of the game but I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if the ending of crackdown 2 is pretty much identical to the first one.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been working on firearms trying to get the harpoon gun open, and oh my goodness I have a feeling we're going to run right back into the Heavy Machine Gun+Homing Rocket Launcher loadout again. The HMG is just niiiiiiice, hews through dudes like nobody's business and is pretty friggin' ammo-efficient, and it just sounds so beefy. <3:D Whomever's in charge of weapons in this dev team really seems to love his HMGs.

Sorenson on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Ultra Shotgun is awesome. Still can't manage to rack up a firearms skill high enough for the harpoon gun though.

Mechanical on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ahaha, FINALLY got Wang for Psyche Out, and it only took me three tries on solo to do it! Lucky throw with a limpit charge threw his ass off the roof, and two fireflies later, *bing*. Man, I looooove limpit charges. <3

You know how when you place the first beacon thing in the underground lair there're some goodie lying around, marked on the map? They're marked with the Shai-Gen emblem. Sort of makes sense with the UV shotgun there since seeing as they made the Freaks they probably also developed specific anti-Freak weaponry.

Shai-gen was funded entirely by the Agency anyway, so it all comes back to being their own damn fault.

There is very little explanation about how the city went from "olol gotcha we're actually manipulative fascists and now we can rule our perfect city with an iron fist without the people questioning us" to the current shit state of the city. There's a disconnect there between the power the Agency had by the end of the first game and how little they're able to control anything to the start of this game.

I know the story clearly isn't the major selling point of the game but I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if the ending of crackdown 2 is pretty much identical to the first one.

Oh yes, thank you.
    I expected that if there was a Crackdown 2, it would involve retaking the city from the Agency, and you're either supposed to be the Agent from game 1 or a new guy who learns the truth. Actually, how awesome would that second option be with your actual character as the final boss, and he even looks like you did based on your save file? Best of all, they could have the same Agency handler from the first game, except now it makes sense that he keeps on taunting you.

It does seem like they had a lot of options that they squandered, based on your reports. Why not only have like four default guns, but they morphed with your skill increasing? So instead of just going from grenade launcher to rocket launcher to homing rocket launcher as your find them, it goes that way automatically as your reach Explosives 4. A pistol becomes a scoped magnum or sniper rifle, an uzi becomes a high-powered assault rifle, etc. And the maximum ranking turns them into sci-fi crap, though at any level you have the option of keeping it at the downgraded version if you prefer that one. And only one agent type? Why would they devolve that? I at least was hoping they got around to making female agents. They said they didn't make a female model in the first game for time reasons. But it's been like four years now.

Yeah, a lack of innovation might be the problem here. "It's GTA, but you're a superhero" was innovative. "It's GTA, but you're a superhero and also there's a mutant infestation" is Prototype already. Heck, they even have their own orbs!

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited June 2010

My guess:
    they're going to try something along the lines of that agents, or at least the first batch of agents, were certainely super-effective at fighting crime and whatnot but because of the gene tweaking and other shit done to them they'd eventually burn themselves out in really short order, sort of exemplified by how you'd be this old dude jumpin' across blocks and hurling cars and shit by game's end, and with their initial purpose served the Agency simply discontinued the program. Then the freaks began to mutate and multiply, this Cell group emerged, and things went down to shit before Mk. II Agents rolled off the assembly line.

Alternative bullshit asspull idea: the original Agent is behind Cell, the Freaks, or both, having gone mad from the revelation from the first game and you gotta' take him out in some spectacular (or not) fashion.

EDIT: Beaten a wee bit.

Sorenson on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Going off of a preview video I saw. Some scientist lady that worked at the agency was snubbed for a position or fired so she stole some virus/chemical/serum that the agency was making and later broke in and destroyed the agent cloning lab (why you are a different person from the first game). I actually think this was all in the animated comic on the Crackdown 2 website. I would provide a link, but I'm at work.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game has a plot? ;)

Anyway, I'm picking it up pretty much for the co-op.

LockeCole on
  • RericReric Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it possible to get access to the mag tethers in the demo?

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes, if you go to a supply point/ airdrop point/whatever you can select them from the grenade choices. No skill requirements.

EtherealWalrus on
  • green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd forgotten how addictive the sound of a nearby orb was... and the satisfying ping when you find one... Must. Get. ORBS!

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Has anything been said about how Live functionality is this time around besides the invite system? Trying to find some games for Tag Teamer, one of the most irritating things about the original was how you couldn't start up a game unless you already had someone with you and trying to join other dudes the game made no distinguishment between dudes doing singleplayer and waiting for MP, so 9 times out of 10 you'd get rejected and 99% of the time you never saw the actual player status that said they were in an SP game.

Methinks we might need a new dedicated thread, too, since the OP hasn't posted here in almost 8 months and we need a place to get shit organized. I'll see if I can scrounge something up later.

Sorenson on
  • PilgrimPilgrim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorenson, you need a co-op partner? Because I am totally up for some co-op right now.

Pilgrim on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Not really a spoiler since it's kind of speculation and based off the wikipedia and a few other things for Crackdown 2 but whatever:
    From what I have read, The Cell are the civilians that remain in the city after it has been overrun by the Freaks. They are rebelling against the Agency and so the Agency is trying to shut down The Cell, and also put an end to the mutants. So it seems you start off as the bad guy ni this, I wonder if the game will give us the choice to become a good guy working with The Cell against the Agency or what. Seems like it could get pretty interesting.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I tried going to The Agency Tower in the Crackdown 2 demo and it was sealed off. I'm not sure if you start there in the retail game or start in the same place you do in the demo, but going off the idea that you start in the same place the demo starts, my theory is (Crackdown 1 spoilers):
    You are a new agent that has no idea about the events from the first game that's trying to clean up the mess that the actions of The Agency caused (the Freaks, zombie parties at night). The Agency is using you just like they did the one in the first game and you'll go through each district just like the last game to clean up the city.

When you get to the Director revealing himself to be evil, instead of the game ending, the Agency Tower area opens up and you go on an all-out assault on the Tower and the Agency police and Director basically become a fourth faction for you to defeat. This is how I thought Crackdown 1 should have ended, rather than the Agent awkwardly shooting the cameraman.

This isn't the most original idea (it's basically just repeating the story of Crackdown), but assessing the demo, it seems the only way to go really. Plus, if the game continues past the same sort of ending the first had:
    You'll get tons of evil dialogue from The Director, which can only go great places.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited June 2010
    Omeks wrote: »
    You are a new agent that has no idea about the events from the first game that's trying to clean up the mess that the actions of The Agency caused (the Freaks, zombie parties at night). The Agency is using you just like they did the one in the first game and you'll go through each district just like the last game to clean up the city.

Well, this part is right from what's been said in the demo so far.

Mechanical on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anything been said about how Live functionality is this time around besides the invite system? Trying to find some games for Tag Teamer, one of the most irritating things about the original was how you couldn't start up a game unless you already had someone with you and trying to join other dudes the game made no distinguishment between dudes doing singleplayer and waiting for MP, so 9 times out of 10 you'd get rejected and 99% of the time you never saw the actual player status that said they were in an SP game.

Methinks we might need a new dedicated thread, too, since the OP hasn't posted here in almost 8 months and we need a place to get shit organized. I'll see if I can scrounge something up later.

I made a CD2 thread a long time ago. You can try to dig that one up. Or make a new one.

EDIT: Make a new one. I'll probably fail horribly at keeping on top of updates. :P

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey, you know what the best part about having money and a job is?

When a demo says "For Gold only", you can hop on the tail end of a $1 for one month of Gold deal and grab it. :D Hovering around 10% right now, gonna play it soon.

yalborap on
    edited June 2010
    Thanks a ton, Pilgrim, finally nabbed Tag Teamer when you offed Wang. Sorry about the lag and all the trouble it caused, though, I guess my router isn't playing too well with the 360 for some reason despite being cool with the PC.

Sorenson on
  • PilgrimPilgrim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks a ton, Pilgrim, finally nabbed Tag Teamer when you offed Wang. Sorry about the lag and all the trouble it caused, though, I guess my router isn't playing too well with the 360 for some reason despite being cool with the PC.

No problem, dude, that was one monster session, think I'm just going to lie down for a while.

And I didn't experience any lag at all, just some framerate slowdown.

Still blew myself up an embarassing amount of times though.

Pilgrim on
  • BigWhiteRyanBigWhiteRyan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I loved the original Crackdown, I'd probably put it in my top 3 games of all-time, and I've already pre-ordered Crackdown 2.

But this demo kind of bums me out.

It seems that everything they've changed I don't care for, or find unnecessary, while they've ignored what I wanted most.

What I wanted? Basically, if just they gave me a new city, more gadgets/guns, and 4p co-op (even though I didn't play much co-op in the original, I can see it's value) I'd be golden. But instead...

Why did they get rid of the unique agents? Instead, you have four fugly dudes, who you almost immediately throw a helmet on. Your agent has zero visual personality after about 10 minutes. Minor gripe, but still.

Why the hell do I need audio logs? Why are they trying to cram a story in here? Why did they alter the art style? Why do I have yet ANOTHER stupid game with zombies?

I hit 'Start', and there's so much crap going on. In Crackdown, it was just "Hey, go kill some people. When you get close to one of the gang leaders, we'll tell you a few things about them." Now it's do this, do that, all this different stuff. I feel like there's so many layers of shit they've piled on, when the essence of Crackdown was...

Jump around. Kill some shit. Make big explosions. Do it with a buddy. Dick around with crazy achievements. That's what Crackdown was, and I loved it.

I'm really hoping I get converted, because like I said I preordered the SOB. Just wanted to vent.

BigWhiteRyan on
    edited June 2010
    Hey, do we have pictures of these 4 exclusive armors the end of the demo mentioned? Want to know if I should be pre-ordering this, or watching for sales.

yalborap on
    edited June 2010
    Apparently it's not so much armor as it is armor colors, since a screen I saw just has a high-end dude in Red, which kinda' bums me out, and I'm betting several months down the line they'll eventually open that up as DLC to everybody.

The armor looks cool, but the one thing I'm sort of hoping for is that eventually we get some kind of a appearance setting so we can pick and choose what stages of the upgrade path we get for each bit. Later stage helmets look fugly whereas the Stage 1 helmet has this nice Imperial Royal Guard look that's just nice to look at.

I really don't get the complaints about them using Pacific City for the setting again: yeah the basic layout's going to be the same, but they've also changed up a whole shitton of things and part of the fun of this is going to be wandering around in old seeing how the new meshes with the old, and it gives the map as a whole this sort of strange familier-yet-alien feeling. Kinda' like a zombie, you know?

EDIT: Oh man, I'm watching the launch trailer while looking for some OP image fodder, and between the choreography work and the catchy-as-fuck music I cannot stop watching this shit.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2010
    Best part of the demo: Level 3 strength, street sign bat, one-hit-kill on zombies. Just wade into the mob and start swinging.

I'm avoiding cranking my Agility too high, since I'll have to hunt those same orbs down in the full game. Any tweaks compared to the original?

yalborap on
    edited June 2010
    It might be just me, but it seems like they might've toned initial running speed down just a wee bit, but given some of the stuff I've seen in other trailers it might actually lead to a sharper curve as you progress through Agility ranks.

EDIT: Speaking of Agility, though, I just had a thought: since it looks like skills now go up tto 6 levels (6 nodes for the diagram) does that mean we'll finally get Super Agility and Super Strength like in Keys to the City in 1? I would looooove being able to run around at 200 friggin' miles an hour and to be able to use that in legit play.

Sorenson on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there any chance the game addressed a minor issue I had with the first game: namely, did it give the character a portable music player? The "soundtrack is the car radio" gimmick worked fine in GTA, when you're almost always driving and when you're not you're likely in a firefight and don't care. But in games like this, you could go for hours in dead silence while you're hunting for agility orbs.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i finally nailed all the demo achievements yesterday, the last one was the harpoon gun one. takes soo long to level up to lvl4 and get that gun. our method was get lvl2 driving - spawn buggy- find a street full of freaks- unleash the turret on them until it's empty- lather, rinse, repeat.
    the funniest part was my friend got it first, handed me the harpoon gun, and i got all 5 on first try. he messed up, and we had to redo the whole thing again so he could get it.

Local H Jay on
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there any chance the game addressed a minor issue I had with the first game: namely, did it give the character a portable music player? The "soundtrack is the car radio" gimmick worked fine in GTA, when you're almost always driving and when you're not you're likely in a firefight and don't care. But in games like this, you could go for hours in dead silence while you're hunting for agility orbs.

I didn't spot the option while I was knocking about in the menue system, but I certainly wasn't looking for it either. I'll look and see if the demo includes something like that when I get on it later.

Strikerkc on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How's the driving in this, any better? I loathed the driving in the first, I never drove anyway. I just ran.

Is the linking objects useful or cheap gimmick? I need to remember to download the demo!

DrunkMc on
    edited June 2010
    Driving's definetily been improved, stuff handles signifigantly better now and mowing down the infected en masse with vehicles is actually one of the better ways to deal with them on the streets.

Sorenson on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So having never played a Crackdown game before, it is possible to get to max level in every skill? Or is there a specialisation thing going on?

Demo is a blast, definitely getting it.

Blurbl on
    edited June 2010
    Yep, you can max out everything. You simply don't have enough time to in the demo, even with the drastically lower point requirements.

Mechanical on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still confused on the wing/glide suit. Is that offered after a certain point in agility? I've tried using the Y button as the control screen suggested, but I got nothing.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
    edited June 2010
    New thread's up, folks.. I'll see about scouring any previously-offered gametags from this thread to transplant to the new one.

Sorenson on