As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gulf Coast Oil Spill]It Ain't Over Yet

• OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ntsf, are you trying to stick up for the poor? :lol:

Perhaps we should start shopping locally, seasonally, and cheaply; using mass transit or walking; overall change in consumption and living habits.

Octoparrot on
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Specific foods in extremely petroleum reliant industries like dairy and eggs, yes (and this was as much due to panic as anything).

Turns out dairy and eggs are cheap sources of excellent protein that poor people rely on (since they typically cannot afford more expensive proteins such as meat).
    What I'm getting at is that we can't bury our heads in the sand and ignore reality, we cannot keep the price of gas under $3 forever in the states, the sooner we start ramping it up to something realistic, the less painful this is going to be

I don't get it. Are you seriously advocating for an artificial hike in gas prices? How is a sudden increase in gas prices going to be any less painful than a gradual one?

Protein Shakes on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Local goods actually tend to be less efficient, because farmers drive em around in their trucks, consuming something like 50 times more gas per pound of food than a semi would
    Specific foods in extremely petroleum reliant industries like dairy and eggs, yes (and this was as much due to panic as anything).

Turns out dairy and eggs are cheap sources of excellent protein that poor people rely on (since they typically cannot afford more expensive proteins such as meat).
    What I'm getting at is that we can't bury our heads in the sand and ignore reality, we cannot keep the price of gas under $3 forever in the states, the sooner we start ramping it up to something realistic, the less painful this is going to be

I don't get it. Are you seriously advocating for an artificial hike in gas prices? How is a sudden increase in gas prices going to be any less painful than a gradual one?

You're not listening to me, there would be no "Artificial hike in gas prices", right now America is going to great pains to keep the price artificially low

It would be better to change that, and then subsidize the poor than to sit and pretend everything's fine until the next oil shock makes any food that isn't grown in your back yard prohibitively expensive

Before you get on me for hating the poor, I make less than $20,000 a year, but I also know that oil isn't going to just do what we tell it for much longer

override367 on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    enc0re wrote: »
    And just think, if we raised the price of gas to $9 a gallon, i.e. another $6 tax, it would bring in more money than the entire federal income tax.

Somebody; go get elected on a $9 gas platform, stat!

Do you realize how regressive such a tax would be?
    Only if it was only on gasoline. Most energy used in this nation is still used in production and other production related industries. Then heating and cooling. Then car transportation.

The price of food is very dependent on the price of gas.

False, unless you're talking locally produced food shipped in someone's pickup - food shipped via semi or diesel ship is absurdly cheap per pound to ship. A semi uses about .031 gallons per pound of goods shipped. Food shipped via freighter is an order of magnitude less than that.

Then are you saying that when food prices go up the same time as the gas/oil, that is unrelated?
    http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-sujets/cpi-ipc/cpi-ipc-eng.htm
    c100622a.gif

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Stopping the subsidies wouldn't be an artificial hike. It would be ending an artificial low.

Couscous on
    edited June 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    And just think, if we raised the price of gas to $9 a gallon, i.e. another $6 tax, it would bring in more money than the entire federal income tax.

Somebody; go get elected on a $9 gas platform, stat!

Do you realize how regressive such a tax would be?
    Only if it was only on gasoline. Most energy used in this nation is still used in production and other production related industries. Then heating and cooling. Then car transportation.

The price of food is very dependent on the price of gas.

False, unless you're talking locally produced food shipped in someone's pickup - food shipped via semi or diesel ship is absurdly cheap per pound to ship. A semi uses about .031 gallons per pound of goods shipped. Food shipped via freighter is an order of magnitude less than that.

Then are you saying that when food prices go up the same time as the gas/oil, that is unrelated?
    http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-sujets/cpi-ipc/cpi-ipc-eng.htm
    c100622a.gif

I'm not an economist, but I would wager there's a fair amount of panicky men in suits who live in new york to blame for that. Unless you care to actually refute what I said, that shipping food is a small portion of the total cost?

I mean most food is grown using petroleum based fertilizer and whatnot, that adds onto it as well. Illinois started using fertilizer derived from coal during the last price hike, so there are other options.

override367 on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A sudden $6 tax on gas would cause economic and societal collapse.

Any move to increase taxes on gas would need to be gradual and preceded by huge infrastructure investments.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What exactly are the subsidies, can someone enumerate them for me.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Stopping the subsidies wouldn't be an artificial hike. It would be ending an artificial low.

Semantics. The end result is the same: an artificial hike in gas prices (the fact that they are artificially low right now does not make the hike non-artificial).

Also this:
    HamHamJ wrote:

Any move to increase taxes on gas would need to be gradual and preceded by huge infrastructure investments.

Protein Shakes on
    edited June 2010

This is true as well, and the main reason we need to start ramping up prices (maybe 25 cents a year on the low end, 10 cents a month on the high end till we reach some predetermined number). The less subsidized our gasoline is, the more able to economically weather oil shocks America is.

Semantics. The end result is the same: an artificial hike in gas prices (the fact that they are artificially low right now does not make the hike non-artificial).

Also this:
    HamHamJ wrote:

Well it's sure a good thing that we're in agreement there, I'm advocating a 50 cent increase, maybe another one next year.

I don't think that would cause the skies to darken and the sea to turn to blood.

Edit: the best route, imo, would be to keep the subsidy intact or only very gradually reduce it for farmers, shipping companies, etc for the time being - but that's less than half our oil usage.

override367 on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Exactly. The Fundamental Law of Economics states that "anything that cannot last, will end."

We will not be able to continue:
    • commuting 20+ miles to work.
    • driving cars so large and inefficient (Camry, Accord) that Toyota and Honda don't even sell them abroad.
    • having everyone own a car.
    • living in the country when you're poor (unless you're living on your own farm, obviously).

The only decision we get to make is whether to transition now, on our own terms; or to wait until price changes force the end. One of these is more disruptive than the other, because gas demand is much more elastic in the long run than then short run.

Sorry guys, it's been a great century of cheap gas. But now it's over.

enc0re on
    edited June 2010
    An increase in gas price would force non-road infrastructure investments and alternate energy sources.

Couscous on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Of course they need to be phased in (like CAFE standards). But the sooner we start, and the clearer the expectation, the less painful the adjustment. Especially for the poor.

enc0re on
    edited June 2010
    We could always just invade Canada for their oil and force them to work as slave labor drilling for oil.

Couscous on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    We could always just invade Canada for their oil and force them to work as slave labor drilling for oil.

with our recent track record, we'd lose the war

lose a war to canada

no one could live with the shame

Rust on
    edited June 2010
    I'm not an economist, but I would wager there's a fair amount of panicky men in suits who live in new york to blame for that. Unless you care to actually refute what I said, that shipping food is a small portion of the total cost?

I think the more likely explanation is that there are things you are not taking into account when you determine that shipping food is a small portion of the total cost.

Protein Shakes on
    edited June 2010
    Rust wrote: »

with our recent track record, we'd lose the war

lose a war to canada

no one could live with the shame

Hey. The attempted invasion of Canada in the Revolutionary War didn't involve us giving it our all. The War of 1812 was a tie.

Couscous on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, we just drive up to parliament and say "terribly sorry, but we need your natural and human resources" and politely ask them to become our subjects.

Problem solved.

MKR on
    edited June 2010

Exactly. The Fundamental Law of Economics states that "anything that cannot last, will end."

We will not be able to continue:
    • commuting 20+ miles to work.
    • driving cars so large and inefficient (Camry, Accord) that Toyota and Honda don't even sell them abroad.
    • having everyone own a car.
    • living in the country when you're poor (unless you're living on your own farm, obviously).

The only decision we get to make is whether to transition now, on our own terms; or to wait until price changes force the end. One of these is more disruptive than the other, because gas demand is much more elastic in the long run than then short run.

Sorry guys, it's been a great century of cheap gas. But now it's over.

I don't really agree that we should give up on any of those (except number 2).

We just need to make the investment to develop ways of doing those things sustainably.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited June 2010
    We just need to make the investment to develop ways of doing those things sustainably.
    Cold fusion?

Electric cars combined with lots and lots of nuclear power might work. Driving up gas prices would help encourage such a switch.

Couscous on
    edited June 2010

I think the more likely explanation is that there are things you are not taking into account when you determine that shipping food is a small portion of the total cost.

I did take into account petroleum used in farming itself, another guess is that they were ramping up prices in anticipation of future increases of oil, since it didn't look like it was going to stop at $4.

I'd like to ask you this, gas is $3 a gallon here, why isn't milk $4 like it was during katrina when gas was the same price? In fact, none of the items that shot up in price when gas hit the $3 mark are inflated anymore. I can tell you that wal-mart made up much the shipping price difference in some areas with new shipping standards allowing more items to fit on a single truck, which is a good thing.

override367 on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    ntsf, are you trying to stick up for the poor? :lol:

Perhaps we should start shopping locally, seasonally, and cheaply; using mass transit or walking; overall change in consumption and living habits.

I live in an area with a subway system. I'm not going to be affected and having to pay more, and yes local shopping does cost more then the supermarket, isn't going to change my quality of life one iota. However, for the rural working class and poor it's going to be nightmare and screw them over even more. You're taking the view of an affluent urbanite. They don't have mass transit, and mass transit isn't even a practical option in those places. So telling them to just suck it has a rather let them eat cake attitude about it. I'd personally rather not screw them more than they are being screwed.
    Local goods actually tend to be less efficient, because farmers drive em around in their trucks, consuming something like 50 times more gas per pound of food than a semi would

But they can just walk and mass transit them!

Exactly. And some of that infrastructure is just not possible in various areas, that happen to have a lot of poor people in them. But those are rural people, and nobody advocating gas increases really gives a crap about dumb ass rednecks.

I'd say one of the best ways to start though would be attacking the trucking industry and converting to rail. Won't solve the transit issue, will help solve the shipping issue.
    living in the country when you're poor (unless you're living on your own farm, obviously).

What are you going to do with them then? Are you saying they should just bootstrap themselves out of the country and into the city? :lol: This is the same logic as "they shouldn't live in New Orleans if they are poor" when those people got hit.

nstf on
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to ask you this, gas is $3 a gallon here, why isn't milk $4 like it was during katrina when gas was the same price? In fact, none of the items that shot up in price when gas hit the $3 mark are inflated anymore.

Uh, because it doesn't quite work that way? Supply and demand graphs are never static - you cannot draw direct inferences between the prices of two related goods.

Protein Shakes on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    msnbc is reporting more flow of oil at a major increased pace + 2 worker deaths, but no details.

edit: nm it was a boat captain, not anyone on the site

Barcardi on
    edited June 2010
    Cold fusion?

Electric cars combined with lots and lots of nuclear power might work. Driving up gas prices would help encourage such a switch.

Electric/gas hybrids (were you run on battery but switch to gas if it runs out) would do the job I think.

I think the people who are saying we should just stop using cars (or severely limit them) are not appreciating the many social goods that come from cars.

For example, my mom works less than twenty minutes from out house. But my dad and I commute 40 minutes or more. Without multiple cars this would simply not be possible, and thus would limit people's opportunities, and thus social mobility in general.

Katrina was mentioned. Everyone who had a car was able to get up and get out before the storm hit (pretty much). Everyone who didn't was stuck in the city and was screwed.

With cars we keep the population density low, which has benefits to happiness and crime and such.

HamHamJ on
    edited June 2010
    With cars we keep the population density low, which has benefits to happiness and crime and such.
    Low population density is evil.

Couscous on
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to ask you this, gas is $3 a gallon here, why isn't milk $4 like it was during katrina when gas was the same price? In fact, none of the items that shot up in price when gas hit the $3 mark are inflated anymore.

Uh, because it doesn't quite work that way? Supply and demand graphs are never static - you cannot draw direct inferences between the prices of two related goods.

So you're admitting the increase in food prices wasn't entirely because of the increase in gas prices?
    HamHamJ wrote:
    Electric/gas hybrids (were you run on battery but switch to gas if it runs out) would do the job I think.

Totally in agreement, I think (for the time being anyway) this is the best option we have. You use no gas to just go grab some milk, but you can still take long trips if you need to

override367 on
    edited June 2010

So you're admitting the increase in food prices wasn't entirely because of the increase in gas prices?

No, what I mean is that you can't say shit like "oh, milk was X dollars when gas was Y dollars several years ago, so now that gas is again Y dollars, why is milk X dollars again?"

Protein Shakes on
    edited June 2010
    For example, my mom works less than twenty minutes from out house. But my dad and I commute 40 minutes or more. Without multiple cars this would simply not be possible, and thus would limit people's opportunities, and thus social mobility in general.
    God said, Let us make a decent public transportation system.
    And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
    And God saw that people still bought shitloads of cars in spite of the availability of said public transportation.
    And God decided not to raise prices to encourage people to use the good public transportation because he is a pussy.
    CarGraph.jpg
    Edit: I can't find anything on actual car use.

Couscous on
    edited June 2010
    Low population density is evil.

Well excuse me for wanting a house with more than three rooms.
    God said, Let us make a decent public transportation system.
    And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

So, how exactly are you going to do this?

Is there going to be a bus line between our random sub-division and random-office-building-by-the-side-of-the-interstate? Between our sub-division and across state lines to Stennis Space Center?

HamHamJ on
    edited June 2010
    Is there going to be a bus line between our random sub-division and random-office-building-by-the-side-of-the-interstate? Between our sub-division and across state lines to Stennis Space Center?
    If the public transportation was decent, there would be one between the random sub-division and random area close to the office building.

Couscous on
    edited June 2010
    If the public transportation was decent, there would be one between the random sub-division and random area close to the office building.

Close? It's seriously just one maybe two buildings just by themselves on the side of the highway. You would need a stop just for it.

Multiply that by the hundreds of similar places.

It's cost prohibitive.

HamHamJ on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

Again that's not going to work for rural areas. And "low population density is evil", well fine, you hate rural areas, they are evil. But really, that isn't a solution. There really is no solution to this and it is a problem. We don't have the money, or probably even the ability to create and implement a functional public transportation system that covers the needs of people outside of major metropolitan centers.

"low population density sucks, poor people shouldn't live in the country" is simply saying "I gots mine, bootstrap your poor asses into the city"

nstf on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    No, we just drive up to parliament and say "terribly sorry, but we need your natural and human resources" and politely ask them to become our subjects.

Problem solved.

Indeed, it is the Canadians one weakness.... manners.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=250
    batchcanadasm.png

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Close? It's seriously just one maybe two buildings just by themselves on the side of the highway. You would need a stop just for it.

Multiply that by the hundreds of similar places.

It's cost prohibitive.

You don't need any kind of formal stop. Just let drivers stop to pick people up, and common gathering areas are likely to come about on their own outside subdivisions.

If there were a few buses running down one of the nearby roads, they could potentially pick up thousands of people at the entrance to subdivisions without going in and take them to any of the large cities on the way (to be later picked up by other bus systems).

MKR on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I'd expect Foster Farms to be shut down if it could be shown Foster Farms was doing something wrong, not just because they're in the same industry.
    Considering that the companies have had to do shit to follow the regulations under the Bush administration, Foster Farms could have superAIDS makers and still be doing nothing technically wrong in this analogy. Because the issues giving rise to this problem are industry wide, I don't see the problem with a blanket ban until it can actually be sorted out. It isn't different from a quarantine.

Are they industry wide? If so, that's the kind of thing I'd expect would be in the government's report, rather than... nothing.

If the equipment is unsound, and BOPs don't work, then all the 3600+ rigs in the Gulf need to be shut down, not just the 33 currently affected.

If cars without seatbelts are unsafe, then every car on the road needs to be upgraded. Not just the new ones.

Isn't that what I said? If the equipment is fundamentally flawed, then every rig in operation needs to be moratorium'd, not just the 33 exploratory floating rigs that were shut down.

If the government's position is that these 33 rigs are unsafe, but the other 3600+ are safe, then show the court some evidence regarding these 33.

If the government's position is that offshore drilling is fundamentally unsafe, then only shutting down 33 rigs while allowing 3600+ more (in the Gulf alone, let alone in all US waters) to continue to operate is negligent at best, and they should all be shut down.

Otherwise the moratorium makes no sense, and of course a judge is going to shit all over it (even though the usage of a preliminary injunction is also problematic). It's like no cars having seatbelts, so the government shuts down production of Camrys while still allowing no-seatbelt Accords and F150s to come rolling off the line.

BubbaT on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    [QUOTE=HamHamJ;15434810So, how exactly are you going to do this?

Is there going to be a bus line between our random sub-division and random-office-building-by-the-side-of-the-interstate? Between our sub-division and across state lines to Stennis Space Center?[/QUOTE]

PS. This ignores the idea that maybe we should be placing the places where we work in good locations, rather than congregating all our workplaces in a single area of the city to be dubbed "downtown" or in random places where there are low property taxes to be dubbed "the boondocks" regardless of accessibility. Public transportation works best when urban planning is done AROUND it, not when it's added on afterward.

hippofant on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Could it be that they dont want 3600+ rigs to suddenly test their BOPs if thats what they are worried about being the point of failure, and instead just want to stop the 33 rigs before they become completely reliant on their BOPs?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cold fusion?

Why don't we take the cash that we're currently spending on keeping gasoline artificially low and start over the next say 10-15 years start appropriating chunks of it towards high efficiency cars/diesels with good mpg/hybrids/electric and tax write offs for people who buy month long/year long passes for local mass transit?

(Side question: Is there any Diesel-Electric hybrid cars out there? If so, why aren't there more?)

Sooner or later we're going to have to invest in a post WWII era amount of infrastructure building for new rail and likely repairs to old lines (let alone our major interstates and bridges), which is why I wouldn't include it in the other chunks of funding since its going to need its own huge piece.

We currently incentivize bad behavior, but instead of doing a complete 180 why not just start a slide to better behavior (enabled by technology thats available today) and set us up for the next transition 10-15 years down the line.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited June 2010
    Why the coefficients for Greece, Portugal and Austria have low rates of car ownership in rural areas even when adjusting for income.
    The estimates
    indicate that for the first set of countries (Denmark, Belgium, France and
    Ireland) living in a rural area or village has a substantial positive effect on car
    availability, while the opposite is the case in the second set of countries
    (Greece, Portugal and Austria). In addition, living in a highly densely
    populated area reduces car availability in the first set of countries, but has no
    effect in the second set. Conversely, living in a low density area reduces car
    availability in the second set of countries, but has no effect in the first set.
    Why the coefficients for Greece, Portugal and Austria are contrary to
    expectations of the effects of residential location, even after controlling for
    income differences, requires further investigation.

Couscous on