As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Condom question

GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I went to a party the other night at a friends house by myself. I just expected to get drunk and hang out, but I ended up talking to this girl and when everyone else passed out we started fooling around. Then she asked me if I had a condom... and I didn't. I won't get into exactly what happened.. but this is my question: I know that keeping condoms in your wallet/car is recommended against in the packaging... but whats the best way to carry condoms around in case this kind of situation happens again? I didn't really go to the party expecting anything, but this encounter has made me realize that I need to prepare for these kinds of situations :P

steam_sig.png
Grundlterror on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What's wrong with keeping condoms in your car?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    What's wrong with keeping condoms in your car?

I think, if i recall correctly, theres a warning against keeping them in your car because they are sensitive to heat.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    it won't break the thing if you only keep it in your wallet for the one night or whatever - whack one in there before you head out, and just remember not to keep it in there for the next month before trying to use it :P its the exposure to heat, and I presume mechanical stress, that fucks them. A few hours shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, in the car glovebox or something, but also not for longer than a day or two. Also, obligatory 'beware that you're taking a risk by screwing a relative stranger while intoxicated'. If you come back here and make a whiny thread about herpes or unwanted children or rape accusations, I'll mock you hard.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    it won't break the thing if you only keep it in your wallet for the one night or whatever - whack one in there before you head out, and just remember not to keep it in there for the next month before trying to use it :P its the exposure to heat, and I presume mechanical stress, that fucks them. A few hours shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, in the car glovebox or something, but also not for longer than a day or two. Also, obligatory 'beware that you're taking a risk by screwing a relative stranger while intoxicated'. If you come back here and make a whiny thread about herpes or unwanted children or rape accusations, I'll mock you hard.

Yeah, the only thing about having one in my wallet is that I did do that and it did end up breaking.. so I don't trust that too much. I mean, I guess thats my only real option... that or the glove box. I can't really think of anything else. I am just kind of wary of forgoing the warnings of something that I put on my penis. I guess I should just go out expecting the unexpected when I go to things like this.

And yeah, I've been posting here long enough to know I'll get some shit for following this up with an Omg I'm gonna be a dad thread.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    hmmm. I think you're either going to have to go for non-PiV sex until such time as you're somewhere more accomodating, or rely on the goodwill of your hosts in that case :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    hmmm. I think you're either going to have to go for non-PiV sex until such time as you're somewhere more accomodating, or rely on the goodwill of your hosts in that case :P

I was considering asking the person who's house I was at if she had one we could use, but it was 5am and I didn't want to bother them. I suppose when I go out I'll just grab one and throw it in the glove box from now on. Or I can just plant condoms at every persons house that I know... o_O

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Or just be aware of where your friends keep their condoms so you don't have to ask (morally justified stealing!). That's slightly less creepy.

Hoz on
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Or I can just plant condoms at every persons house that I know... o_O

So that's why I've been finding condoms around the house!

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I never go out of the house without one, at least when there's any chance I might need one :P
    Although even these supposedly "extra thin" condoms still feel like shit. Anyone got recommendations?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I never go out of the house without one, at least when there's any chance I might need one :P
    Although even these supposedly "extra thin" condoms still feel like shit. Anyone got recommendations?

Crown Skinless Skin

Or just get the sampler pack!

As for carrying them, if you are really that worried...

-edit-

AHAHAHAHAHAA oh god look at this cartoon character this site has.
    http://secure.condomania.com/condomwizard.asp?dept=172

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maaan, just grab one and throw it in your pocket before you head out if you think that's a chance.

Unless you're wearing some skin-tight spandex style jeans or pants nobody will notice the square in your pocket.

You also mentioned that keeping a rubber in your wallet caused it to break. I've gotta ask, how long was it in there for? Usually a few hours of condom wallet time isn't going to cause any undue wear and tear.

DrZiplock on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I 2nd just throwing one or two in your pocket on your way out the door. If you wear cargo pants/shorts ever then just stick one or two down in those pockets.

Also if the condom that broke wasn't in the wallet that long then it could have been unrelated to the condom breaking.

Personally I just throw them in my pants pocket, sometimes I pop them into the glove box or console once I'm in the car, but just for the night not for keeps.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Or go real classy and wear a suit jacket. All kinds of places for condoms in there.

(seriously, I do this)

Uncle Long on
  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Unless you're going to party dressed in very little clothing and carrying nothing, you should have sex or seven places to keep a condom in case you get lucky.

There have been many-a-thread on which type to use. Most manufaturers have a multi-pack so you can decide which one you like the best.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Unless you're going to party dressed in very little clothing and carrying nothing, you should have sex or seven places to keep a condom in case you get lucky.

The best typo ever.

Just be sure before you use one that you at least glance at the package. If its been in your pocket, bent in half, with a rip in the package, the magic baby barrier might not be fully functional. Try to keep it in a place where it wont get jostled.

Mr Pink on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I haven't tried out any of the high-speed shit recommended here, since I just pick up my condoms at the drugstore, but I do like Durex Avanti, which they carry. It's very thin, but safe, and because it's polyurethane, it allows heat transfer.

Generally, in a night I'll cover up with a Trojan first because it reduces sensation a bit and makes the first round last longer. Then move on to the Durex for the real fun.

Tiemler on
  • JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I always kept a condom in the breast pocket or inside pocket of my jacket, usually 2 or three actually because i needed that many

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JPArbiter wrote: »
    I always kept a condom in the breast pocket or inside pocket of my jacket, usually 2 or three actually because i needed that many

I do this, also. My jacket has a zippered pocket near the lapel on the inside of the jacket, and it is perfectly suited for a concealed condom that won't fall out and embarrass me, but also won't strangle the packaging (like in a wallet).

misbehavin on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I think a polyurethane would hold up better than latex, try those.

LondonBridge on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know a few people who have one of these.

It's a little keychain holder for a condom.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Frenchii5Frenchii5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't really think of anything else. I am just kind of wary of forgoing the warnings of something that I put on my penis.

Or you could just not take advantage of an (at least partially) intoxicated female.

And if you are truly so wary of what goes on your penis than you might consider not having sex with a complete stranger.

Frenchii5 on
    homemadehpforumsigse4.png
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know that I had one in my wallet once for about a day and a half and when I took it out to use it the packaging had broken open. Call me worrisome, but I didn't use it just out of caution. Maybe one other reason they say not to carry them in your wallet.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know that I had one in my wallet once for about a day and a half and when I took it out to use it the packaging had broken open. Call me worrisome, but I didn't use it just out of caution. Maybe one other reason they say not to carry them in your wallet.

IN your wallet = No.

But the problem was the friction of the wallet in that case, not the heat. Having a package of condoms in your car for a day won't hurt them, as the heat won't affect them significantly enough to do damage.

misbehavin on
    edited April 2007
    misbehavin wrote: »
    IN your wallet = No.

The key bit of information from this thread.

Hewn on
    edited April 2007
    Frenchii5 wrote: »
    Or you could just not take advantage of an (at least partially) intoxicated female.

She had the presence of mind to ask if he had a condom. Clearly, her judgment wasn't severely impaired.

And he clearly didn't force the issue. Didn't even bother his friends for a rubber to seal the deal that night. I think the evidence is pretty strong he's not out to take advantage of anyone.

Tiemler on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As someone who works in medical research (related to SRI's, no less), I can tell you that the "condom in wallet = no" advice is WAY overblown.

Most people who actually need condoms (ie. those likely to actually use them) will be perfectly safe keeping one in their wallets, even for several weeks at a time. Personally speaking, I wouldn't go past three, but as long as it doesn't spend more than a month in there, you are going to be perfectly fine. If, like the OP, you have had a condom from your wallet break on you, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with it having been in your wallet...unless it was in there for a year or so. The potential stress microtraumas possible from spending an extended time (read: a month or two) would most likely be so insignificant as to never cause any danger of ripping.

And in case you think I am BSing to create authority here, a mod would probably more than happy to look at my IP. It will verify that I am sitting at a terminal in a medical research facility in Seattle. Also, a simple googling of "condom in wallet" will probably bring up several medical advice sites that will verify the "up to a few weeks is A-OK" information.

So, in closing, my advice to the OP is to just slip one in your wallet before you head out for the night.

naporeon on
    edited April 2007
    First off, good post naporeon and I respect your professional opinion.

While the risk may be minimal for an evening, why put the condom in a high friction place like the wallet when there are suitable alternatives that are just as convenient? As mentioned, jacket pocket, front pant pocket, basically any pocket that doesn't involve the condom being packed into something that is frequently sat on and opened and closed?

There are so many variables involved with wallets in terms of usage and how much strain they see. Personally, my wallet is rarely stuffed and stays in my jacket pocket, thus sees little wear. But many of my friends have wallets packed to the brim with business cards, pictures, and other such things and then put it in their back pocket, sitting on it frequently. That cannot be a good idea for storage, even for a short period of time.

I do agree that the rule of NEVER putting a condom in a wallet is indeed not entirely accurate, but it's the sort of rule that serves as a good reminder for the majority of situations. I just see no advantage to advocating the wallet being a suitable place for a condom considering the variables at work. By saying the condom is okay in the wallet for a few weeks, I'd feel like I was playing with fire not knowing how this person uses their wallet. So as a catch all, I think it's best to just avoid the wallet all-together, if that makes sense.

Hewn on
    edited April 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    By saying the condom is okay in the wallet for a few weeks, I'd feel like I was playing with fire not knowing how this person uses their wallet.

Well, you know, I usually put mine through the dryer. And leave it sitting on a hot sidewalk while neighborhood kids run over it with their bicycles...

Tiemler on
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    By saying the condom is okay in the wallet for a few weeks, I'd feel like I was playing with fire not knowing how this person uses their wallet.

Well, you know, I usually put mine through the dryer. And leave it sitting on a hot sidewalk while neighborhood kids run over it with their bicycles...

Yes, yes, you're very funny. But I'm serious when I say I'd be uncomfortable making such a blanket recommendation. I'm sure some will think I'm being paranoid, but this is the sort of topic where safe is the key word.

Hewn on
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

Yes, yes, you're very funny. But I'm serious when I say I'd be uncomfortable making such a blanket recommendation. I'm sure some will think I'm being paranoid, but this is the sort of topic where safe is the key word.
    Guys, I really didn't mean to derail the thread with my post.

The point is that, despite what you might personally consider safe, all available data point to it being completely fine to keep a condom in your wallet for up to a few weeks. Personally speaking, I use what I call the "paycheck" method: I keep two condoms in my wallet at all times, one on each side. Each payday, I replace them. I feel comfortable making this recommendation--blanket or not--for several reasons. First, the data, as I mentioned, indicate that it is safe. Second, sex is often going to happen regardless of condom use, and it is far, FAR preferable to have a "wallet condom" (even one that has spent months in there, and might actually be compromised) than none at all.

But germane to the OP, sex should be about fun and comfort. If you do not feel comfortable using a condom that has been in your wallet, don't. I have used coat pockets as well. There are a number of places to keep them. The important thing is that you always, always have one on-hand.

naporeon on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, reading about all this condom wallet breakage makes me realise how lucky I was like several months ago when I used one that was in my wallet for well over a month because I'd forgotten it there :p

Thank god it didn't break.

Wezoin on
  • TheLightBearerTheLightBearer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I use the same method as naporeon, keep two in my wallet, and replace with new ones on use/two weeks, whatever comes first. I also keep my wallet in my front pocket, so I'm not sitting on it all the time, but I'm the only one I know who is uncomfortable sitting on a wallet, but comfortable with it in my front pocket.

Other than wallet, car is the best place to keep them. If you're going out anywhere, club, bar, party, just toss one or three in the glove compartment. Take them out when you get home, if you didn't use them. Simple enough.

TheLightBearer on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know a uh.. friend, ya friend, who had a custom belt buckle made for this purpose. The front cover was worked into the tribal celtic design, and just popped off to reveal space for two of those bad boys. And uh, things.

Discreet, fashionable, very convienient and safe in terms of storage, if not intentions.

Sarcastro on
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I really like the keyring thing and the belt buckle thing. And thanks for your professional data/advice naporeon. And yes, I think the condom breaking was more from the friction of the wallet rather than the heat (and it was only in there a few weeks).

And the taking advantage of a drunk girl think I think is kind of out of line. I didn't ask for your advice on that, we were both drinking but we had been flirting all night and it just kind of happened. What about me? Why is the girl always the one being taken advantage of? (I know this is more of a D&D thing, but that just pisses me off.... like I'm some kind of sexual predator).

I think I may get one of those keyring things... the belt buckle thing is almost like a grown up Data (Goonies) invention.... I think that kind of preparation might freak a girl out a little bit :lol:

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    I know a uh.. friend, ya friend, who had a custom belt buckle made for this purpose. The front cover was worked into the tribal celtic design, and just popped off to reveal space for two of those bad boys. And uh, things.

Discreet, fashionable, very convienient and safe in terms of storage, if not intentions.

He's like Batman!

And best of all, condoms won't pin you to the giant electromagnet set up by the crooks like the other metallic objects in your utility belt.

Errm, as for contributing, I routinely keep a condom or two in the inside pocket of each of my jackets, possibly one in its own pocket in a backpack. I'm rarely without one of these things so it works pretty well.

KalTorak on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, you guys are a bunch of sluts! I go commando with my girl, but that's another story.

As for condom storage, I would recommend either getting the keychain posted earlier in this thread, or do what the other guys do and just toss one in your jacket on the way out.

tardcore on
  • FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I use what I call the "paycheck" method: I keep two condoms in my wallet at all times, one on each side. Each payday, I replace them.

:lol: Surely not a coincidence that as soon as you are paid you get laid twice.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Classic gameboy cartrige case. Holds 2 condoms easily.

Viscountalpha on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    i put my condoms in a ham wallet. but thats another story for another time.

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007
    Classic gameboy cartrige case. Holds 2 condoms easily.
    This is actually a great idea.

Also, a WELL-CLEANED Altoids box (or something of similar size) would work quite well.

Very good idea, Viscount.

naporeon on