As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star fox 64 VC patch apparently breaks the game

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Word on the internets is the SF64 patch breaks the 30 fps framerate lock, and causes the game to slowdown at the same points that the original cart did. So the patch apparently makes the game worse.

Can anyone confirm this?

deadonthestreet on

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Word on the internets is the SF64 patch breaks the 30 fps framerate lock, and causes the game to slowdown at the same points that the original cart did. So the patch apparently makes the game worse.

Can anyone confirm this?
    Does "Word on the street" mean "a NeoGAF poster," offhand?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't consider faithfully reproducing the game to be "breaking" it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Can anyone confirm this?
    Does "Word on the street" mean "a NeoGAF poster," offhand?

I imagine it does.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Unless it was already broken. Which it was.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've got the patched version, and I'm not even sure what changed.

That is to say, there's slow down, but wasn't there always slow down?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

No, that would make it a bugfix.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

SF64?

Are you high?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    I've got the patched version, and I'm not even sure what changed.

That is to say, there's slow down, but wasn't there always slow down?
    No, it was locked at 30 fps.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh.

Well I guess the patch "breaks" the game, then, because there's some slow down in places with lots of explosions and a little on the main map screen.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So wait, they made a patch to make the game slow down more? That seems counter-productive. Although I do remember seeing alot of complaints about the game not slowing down during the explosion scenes of bosses. Is that all thats different, or does the game straight up just slow down a bunch? Does this patch fix any of the graphical glitches?

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't care the amount of slowdown. All I want is my multiplayer dogfighting. Unless the patch took that away, then I think I can tolerate whatever changes there are. I still remember Perfect Dark, talk about framerate issues....

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For reference, this is the complaining post.

*goes to patch right now and check*

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Imran wrote: »
    For reference, this is the complaining post.

*goes to patch right now and check*

haha, neogaf. every time.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Works fine. No slowdown in Corneria or Meteo since the last time I played.

Anywhere in particular I should check?

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Can anyone confirm this?
    Does "Word on the street" mean "a NeoGAF poster," offhand?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I saw this very same thread at GAF this morning whilst looking for news.

Sheep on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There was slowdown in multiplayer and a few of the levels already, so it was never really locked at 30 fps. If you're trying to say they removed that limit, wouldn't that just make some parts of the game smoother?

But I did notice that some parts of the game ran a little faster than the original cartridge, so if they put back in those original slowdowns somehow then I'm not sure I want to update.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    So wait, they made a patch to make the game slow down more? That seems counter-productive. Although I do remember seeing alot of complaints about the game not slowing down during the explosion scenes of bosses. Is that all thats different, or does the game straight up just slow down a bunch? Does this patch fix any of the graphical glitches?

The patch fixes joystick problems with the classic pad.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Alright, if I get some free time and this still isn't looked into very thoroughly, I'm going to copy my old SF64 download to my SD card and then download the new one and make some comparisons.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Haha, well fuck, so much for that grand master plan.

The Wii refuses to copy the old Star Fox 64 on to the system memory, even after deleting the new one and the save file. It either still knows somehow or it refuses to copy such a huge file (I'm not sure why that would be).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

So, framerate issues in Shadow of the Colossus are a game-breaking flaw, but framerate issues in Starfox 64 is a faithful reproduction?

The attitudes on this board are a conundrum sometimes. Me, I'd prefer the VC doesn't recreate the hardware limitations in the games it's emulating.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

So, framerate issues in Shadow of the Colossus are a game-breaking flaw, but framerate issues in Starfox 64 is a faithful reproduction?

The attitudes on this board are a conundrum sometimes. Me, I'd prefer the VC doesn't recreate the hardware limitations in the games it's emulating.

SotC sometimes drops to 5fps in the middle of gameplay. Starfox 64 sometimes drops to 15fps during certain cut scenes. So, yeah.... I'd say there's a difference.

Granted I haven't played the VC copy, I only know about the original ... does the VC still come to a grinding halt when Fox flies out of the exploding base at the end?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Granted I haven't played the VC copy, I only know about the original ... does the VC still come to a grinding halt when Fox flies out of the exploding base at the end?
    I haven't done it on the newer "slower" version (which I still doubt somewhat), but yes there was slowdown during that scene.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I haven't played SotC (and haven't the faintest desire to), so I can't say whether or not that the slowdown would be "game-breaking". In the case of Star Fox 64, ensuring that the emulator is able to reproduce the exact same slowdown that is present in the game being played on the hardware it was designed for is fine. I can't fathom how you can believe that your comparison is valid.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

I haven't played SotC (and haven't the faintest desire to), so I can't say whether or not that the slowdown would be "game-breaking". In the case of Star Fox 64, ensuring that the emulator is able to reproduce the exact same slowdown that is present in the game being played on the hardware it was designed for is fine. I can't fathom how you can believe that your comparison is valid.

Because on a hypothetical emulation of a PS2 running Shadow of the Colossus, the "game breaking" slowdown now, would by your example, be preserving the original experience, rather than fixing the limitations of the time. It's nothing but nostalgia making us look at flaws as if they were benefits.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait, are people defending this?

I don't know if it's true, but if the game ran at a locked 30 FPS before the patch and now it has slowdown postpatch, that sucks. There's no defending that.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Is there an actual discussion in here? I'm confused.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So who has the VC version here? Can anyone test it?

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait, are people defending this?

I don't know if it's true, but if the game ran at a locked 30 FPS before the patch and now it has slowdown postpatch, that sucks. There's no defending that.

I dunno, I wouldn't call it a fix or a break. It's more like: While refining our N64 emulation, we inadvertently caused Starfox 64 to run at its original framerate, which we left since it's technically accurate and relied on for a slowmo effect in some cutscenes. If Nintendo ever sells Goldeneye on VC (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo would all need to agree to a license to put it up :P ), I'd be interested to see how they emulate it. The original game has a great deal of hacks that give it a dynamic yet fairly even framerate on actual N64 hardware and most emulators these days play it really erratically because the speed-check code doesn't behave properly in emulation.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So are we talking about the framerate not being constant or are we talking about slowdown?

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    So are we talking about the framerate not being constant or are we talking about slowdown?

According to user accounts, it used to be locked at 30FPS, now it goes slower when the N64 would have. If that's true, then I'm indifferent. If it's more slowdown at inappropriate times, then it's no good.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can see a reason to be pissed here. Higher framerate > Lower Framerate in most cases. Hopefully it will be fixed.

What is funny is that the actual cause for the patch at this point still remains a little fuzzy. Was it just in an effort to make the emulation more faithful? What's this about classic controller optimization? I didn't notice a problem on it.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Playing through and so far I've found that the color is slightly better and I have only noticed slowdown outside of boss deaths at sector y while killing the gundams
    Post back more soon...

Edit: One major improvement here you can actually see in aquas

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Because on a hypothetical emulation of a PS2 running Shadow of the Colossus, the "game breaking" slowdown now, would by your example, be preserving the original experience, rather than fixing the limitations of the time. It's nothing but nostalgia making us look at flaws as if they were benefits.

The slowdown that happens in Star Fox 64 isn't a benefit. It's also something that I don't recall ever impairing my ability to play the game.

Even though Shadow of the Colossus can drop to 5fps, I would still say that the problem should not be fixed by the emulator. If the developer wanted to fix the slowdown, then they can patch the game and/or use whatever facilities are provided through the emulator API to compensate for the bottleneck that causes the slowdown.

If Nintendo decided that they could fix the slowdown that occured in the orignal and have no side effect on the gameplay then I don't see a problem. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some oddities that could crop up in some old NES/SNES games if they were to do some voodoo that could automagically fix framerate problems via the emulator.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As I understand here's how it went.

Original Starfox 64 had slowdown
    The new release on Virtual Console didn't have slowdown
    a patch caused the new VC version to act in the same way as the original Starfox 64 did on the original hardware

In my eyes, this is a good thing because it is faithfully reproducing the original. This is not without precedent. For anyone familiar with SHMUPS, one should know that it is a common occurrence for them to have slowdown. And not only that, for shmups released online, this slowdown is usually locked at a standard level so everyone who plays, regardless of how weak or strong there machine is, will experience the same amount of slowdown.

Indeed it is a built in handicap for the game. And certain SHMUPS would be unplayable without it.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That was the first time i have played through aquess on the vc and actually could see everything

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    That was the first time i have played through aquess on the vc and actually could see everything

I wonder if they fixed the fog discrepancy that they had in the OoT demo disc's emulator. The N64 computed fog based on the z-buffer depth, whereas the GCN computed it based off radius from origin. The GCN method can make things look more foggy (so to speak) in large open areas and around the edges of the screen (but is technically more correct).

It made some differences in Hyrule field, but the fog was set never to totally obscure the geometry. I'd imagine in a game like Star Fox it could be more of an issue.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Ohtsam wrote: »

I wonder if they fixed the fog discrepancy that they had in the OoT demo disc's emulator. The N64 computed fog based on the z-buffer depth, whereas the GCN computed it based off radius from origin. The GCN method can make things look more foggy (so to speak) in large open areas and around the edges of the screen (but is technically more correct).

It made some differences in Hyrule field, but the fog was set never to totally obscure the geometry. I'd imagine in a game like Star Fox it could be more of an issue.

Thank goodness, I thought I was just going crazy! I definitely noticed the draw distance/fog distance in the Ganondorf battle (top of the tower) was MUCH smaller. I could hardly see Ganondorf when he was floating around.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    zerg rush wrote: »
    As I understand here's how it went.

Original Starfox 64 had slowdown
    The new release on Virtual Console didn't have slowdown
    a patch caused the new VC version to act in the same way as the original Starfox 64 did on the original hardware

In my eyes, this is a good thing because it is faithfully reproducing the original. This is not without precedent. For anyone familiar with SHMUPS, one should know that it is a common occurrence for them to have slowdown. And not only that, for shmups released online, this slowdown is usually locked at a standard level so everyone who plays, regardless of how weak or strong there machine is, will experience the same amount of slowdown.

Indeed it is a built in handicap for the game. And certain SHMUPS would be unplayable without it.

Wasn't there some hubbub about Ikaruga having more slowdown in the Gamecube version than in the Dreamcast version or something?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, I'm still not clear. What does this patch do?

I wish they would patch Punch-Out!! On the VC, Mac's gloves and shorts turn white when he's doing his victory dance. I don't recall that happening in the original.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wasn't there some hubbub about Ikaruga having more slowdown in the Gamecube version than in the Dreamcast version or something?

You might be thinking of the PAL version. The PAL port was handled horribly (although if it's the only way someone can play the game then I still recommend it)

LewieP on