As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rar files hate my new computer, apparently

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I finally did it. I bought and built my own computer. Its running pretty great, aside from the occasional BSOD's(which I am attributing to overheating, though it doesn't feel very hot, from the air coming out of the fan). But, there's one thing that's really annoying me.

It seems like everytime I try to extract something from multiple .rar files, it ends up corrupt. Like, half the files will give me errors, and then the extraction won't complete. This is really putting a bug up my butt, I really hate the idea of having to extract stuff on my laptop, then sending it to my desktop extracted. That would be very inconvenient.

Anyone have any ideas? Its a brand new version of Winrar, single rar files don't seem to have problems, big or small. Its just when I need to extract something from multiple .rar's. :(

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    SarathaiSarathai Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Try 7-Zip

The .rar files being corrupt might just be a symptom of the instability you seem to have. If you're worried about overheating, use SpeedFan and ATITool (even if you've got an nVidia card) to check your temperatures. 30 to 55 degrees celcius are normal for a CPU (though anything above 45 at idle is cause for concern). Video cards normally run hot. My 6600GT runs at 55 at idle, and near 100 in-game.

When you say BSOD, do you mean the kind that doesn't show up unless you change your settings to disable automatic restart, or the "Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer" kind?

Sarathai on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    While we're throwing around recommendations: IZArc

I really hate WinRAR (not big on 7-Zip either). Where the BSODs go, you might tell us what your average message is. Overheating is pretty rare these days unless you really chose the wrong heatsink or you messed up the thermal interface compound.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sarathai wrote: »
    Try 7-Zip

The .rar files being corrupt might just be a symptom of the instability you seem to have. If you're worried about overheating, use SpeedFan and ATITool (even if you've got an nVidia card) to check your temperatures. 30 to 55 degrees celcius are normal for a CPU (though anything above 45 at idle is cause for concern). Video cards normally run hot. My 6600GT runs at 55 at idle, and near 100 in-game.

When you say BSOD, do you mean the kind that doesn't show up unless you change your settings to disable automatic restart, or the "Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer" kind?

The second kind, the actual blue screen's of death, as opposed to just crashes. Assuming I'm not being dumb about what you mean.

As to what they say? They pop up for about a half second, then the computer restarts. Quick and painful :/

But yeah, I'm not really thinking its overheating now. I have a good suspicion my DVD-ROM is all screwed, but with the rar files thing, and most of my stalker save files randomly not wanting to load, maybe its my HD? Then again, stalker is hardly something you want to use to test hardware problems :P

But yeah. I constantly get errors trying to install games from CD or DVD(Took me like 10 times with stalker, because it would let me ignore corrupt files... every install, I would grab the files that were corrupt last time, but not this time, and finally I got them all non-corrupt). My WoW CD's are pristine, so its not them. Also, CD's tend to get really, really hot in my DVD-ROM.

Anyways, I'll try some of those other programs, see if they do anything.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    ...every install, I would grab the files that were corrupt last time, but not this time, and finally I got them all non-corrupt.

Uh, whoa. Yeah, you've got either drive issues or IDE/SATA controller issues, more likely the former. If you loaded your OS with that drive, it would be no surprise that some system files are corrupt and causing your BSODs. After you ditch that zero and get yourself a hero (Plextor), make sure you run sfc (a default Windows tool).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ...every install, I would grab the files that were corrupt last time, but not this time, and finally I got them all non-corrupt.

Uh, whoa. Yeah, you've got either drive issues or IDE/SATA controller issues, more likely the former. If you loaded your OS with that drive, it would be no surprise that some system files are corrupt and causing your BSODs. After you ditch that zero and get yourself a hero (Plextor), make sure you run sfc (a default Windows tool).

Plextor? I've never heard of them, don't see them on newegg, and their website won't load :/

I'm planning on just RMA'ing the DVD drive to Newegg(have a dead stick of memory I need to RMA anyways), and just replacing it. It has really good reviews(Whatever Sony's DVD-ROM is on newegg).

Also, I tried Izarc. Didn't work.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Plextor? I've never heard of them

They're like the Ferrari of optical drives. Back in the day when burners were new and hot, they would cost hundreds.

BTW, since you said you couldn't find them, here they are on Newegg.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Plextor? I've never heard of them

They're like the Ferrari of optical drives. Back in the day when burners were new and hot, they would cost hundreds.

BTW, since you said you couldn't find them, here they are on Newegg.

Hmm. Well, its twice as much as I spent on my current DVD drive, I'm pretty much broke atm, and I have plenty of CD and DVD burners around the house. I just want something that will run DVD's properly :/

Again, the sony had great reviews, I think an RMA will do it, right?

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    lol, would you give your broken drive a good review? (Most people who review things on newegg are people that just bought the hardware, not people who have owned it for months and years.) Seriously, I don't buy anything from Sony. If you're under warrantee, of course you should RMA that biotch, but don't bet on it working terribly better than last time. It'll probably work for a while before it fails again. After that hopefully you'll have some spare change for a real drive.

As my title might suggest, I work very hard to find hardware that's going to last for as long as I'm likely to use it and longer. That hardware usually isn't mainstream or cheap, but I'm also not frequently caught scrambling for replacements.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would RMA it, you may have gotten a dud. If it has problems reading/installing again, then RMA it as broken and get a refund. Honestly, you don't need a Plextor, pretty much anything in the $20-$25 range will be fine. But if your second one doesn't work again, I would probably avoid Sony.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pretty much anything in the $20-$25 range will do the exact same thing, work for a while and then die. You do get what you pay for, especially these days.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pretty much anything in the $20-$25 range will do the exact same thing, work for a while and then die. You do get what you pay for, especially these days.

Err, every DVD-ROM on Newegg is between $17-22 dollars(that don't burn DVD's). Besides, I think my DVD-ROM's been a dud since I got it, been having problems since I started, with windows and installing stuff.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, crap.

Maybe its not the DVD drive. I downloaded WoW off of the WoW site, and ran the installer.

Crashes at the same place every time I try to install it:

The installer was unable to read the file "<unknown>". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at --for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The data being read was "Repack-MPQ\Data#sound.MPQ\Sound\Music\CityMusic\Thunderbluff\Thunderbluff Walking 01.mp3", and the error code was 38.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQFile::Read)

The file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\sound.MPQ" could not be found.

I got this same error a bunch of times when I was trying to install off of my CD's. This can't just be a coincidence, right? Wouldn't these things(rar files corrupting when I try to extract from multiple, problems installing things on CD's and off, random crashes) be fairly symptomatic of hard-drive problems?

I've run Chkdsk plenty of times, it says there are either no problems, or there are, and it fixes them. Anything I can try before sending it in?

Raslin on

• Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey let me throw this out:

Brand spaking new Dell OptiPlex 745. A user was having the same issue as you, using this machine. Windows didn't pick it up, Dell diagnostics didn't pick it up, but a quick run of Memtest x86 showed that one stick of RAM was partially toasted and causing this exact issue.

Food for thought.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, Plextor really isn't the only company that makes a good burner. NEC's line-up is perfectly adequate.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    redimpulse wrote: »
    Hey let me throw this out:

Brand spaking new Dell OptiPlex 745. A user was having the same issue as you, using this machine. Windows didn't pick it up, Dell diagnostics didn't pick it up, but a quick run of Memtest x86 showed that one stick of RAM was partially toasted and causing this exact issue.

Food for thought.

You know, when one of the sticks are DOA, I should be smart enough at that point to have run memtest on the other stick :/

Except I don't really understand memtest... I left it running for about four hours last night(thinking "when the hell will this finish and tell me if my ram is good?). I don't really understand what it was telling me, but I jotted down some of the info... maybe someone can help me figure it out?

Test = Std(Standard, I presume)
    Pass = 4
    Errors = 235520
    Ecc errs = 0
    (Ecc = off)

I jotted down what was on the errors report, too:

Test 1 = 0
    Test 2 = 316
    Test 3 = 22,592
    T4 = 29,876
    T5 = 2070
    T6 = 14,800
    T7 = 27,900
    T8 = 3754

These can't be good signs, right? I plan on RMA'ing the sticks to newegg soon. Should I label them as DOA(one of the sticks was dead on arrival), or failure/errors(Other stick working... barely. Hence this memtest report).

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Yup. Your memory is toast. Surprisingly most sticks that are dying still pass test 1. Your results are normal for a stick that is crapping out. RMA the pair - one DOA, another failing rapidly.

What type did you buy? Doesn't seem like too stable of a set...

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    redimpulse wrote: »
    Yup. Your memory is toast. Surprisingly most sticks that are dying still pass test 1. Your results are normal for a stick that is crapping out. RMA the pair - one DOA, another failing rapidly.

What type did you buy? Doesn't seem like too stable of a set...

Well, it came as one package... Two 1 gig sticks, so I have to pick either or...

I bought two gigs of Wintec Ampo. Its cheap ram, but it had very good reviews on newegg(something like twenty 5/5 reviews, and one 3/5 when I bought it). I'm thinking its just a fluke, really.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    If you have to choose one, just put them as both failed.

Miserably.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Aye. Now I just have to ship it off to newegg.

Bah, shipping costs. I should be reimbursed :P

Raslin on