As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Red Dead Redemption] Free Myths & Legends DLC out 9/13.

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
***AVAILABLE NOW***

LAUNCH TRAILER (NEW 5/13)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUjbORZueU

Other trailers behind the spoiler:
REVOLUTION (NEW 5/7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkXbw9wY-I

COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER (NEW 4/22)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwR0apkuzA

FREE ROAM MULTIPLAYER (NEW 4/8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA9wSxebZmA

LIFE IN THE WEST, PART II (NEW 4/1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXEqv8dxLg

GENTLEMEN & VAGABONDS (NEW 3/25)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6fbil-esa4

LIFE IN THE WEST (NEW 3/17)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCY0G86SKk

THE WOMEN (NEW 2/24)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmMuJFta0_U

THE LAW (NEW 2/11)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-srm9t9S8

WEAPONS & DEATH (NEW 1/28)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHGEJXF-1M

GAMEPLAY INTRODUCTION TRAILER (NEW 12/16)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1mb723fuYg

MY NAME IS JOHN MARSTON (NEW 12/1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sU0PwzdMiY

This thread is about Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption, the open-world western that uses an upgraded version of GTAIV's Rage/Euphoria engine. Here is a link to the official website. It is available on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. No PC version is currently planned. Let the discussion of western awesomeness commence. But not before an important note (which will sound silly, but will be understood in time):

The game ain't over until the credits roll.

DLC CONTENT

There are three paid DLC packs available for Red Dead Redemption.

Legends and Killers -- AVAILABLE NOW (800 MS Points / $9.99)
Liars and Cheats -- AVAILABLE NOW (800 MS Points / $9.99)
Undead Nightmare -- AVAILABLE NOW (800 MS Points / $9.99)

REVIEWS
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/reddeadredemption

DUELING
I've put a few tips for dueling below, as it tends to be a confusing aspect of the game.

Drawing before your opponent lowers your accuracy. Conversely, drawing after increases accuracy. After drawing, your reticule will pulsate red --> white. What you want to do is target key areas of your opponent as the reticule flashes white. This will fill up the bar on the right side of the screen. The more key areas you target on your opponent, the faster your bar will fill. The person whose bar fills first wins the duel.

It is possible to win a duel in one shot if done correctly. Targeting an opponent's gunhand, for example, when the reticule flashes white will instantly fill your bar, causing you to win the duel by shooting the gun out of your opponent's hand. It should be noted, however, that duels dictated by the story usually dictate the killing of your opponent (with a few exceptions).

MULTIPLAYER
Want to rope steer with fellow PA forum dwellers? Try adding the Xbox 360 metatag AFistfulofWangs. If that one's full, we have a spare in the form of AFewWangsMore.

By popular demand, I will try to keep an updated list of Playstation Network gamertags below. Please PM me your PSN username if you wish to be included.
PA Name / PSN Tag
Mr Obersmith / Obersmith
Jean Claude Van Calm / Grimmsy-
Shorn Scrotum Man / sojakfa
Capt Howdy / KayleSolo
Dashui / Vacorsis
NovembersChopin / NovembersChopin
Judas / Judas Iago
Pookiepoo / Pookie-san
Spectrum / MissGardenia
Lucascraft / Lucascraft
Skeezicks / Skeezicks
Schwhat / Schwhat
Coltaine / Flard
cooljammer00 / JohnDarc
Wishpig / MassiveHugAttack
Brock / Brockimus
Lehman / LehmanCM
Dr_Keenbean / Dr_Keenbean
Mostlyjoe13 / Mostlyjoe
MarioG / MarioGuzman
TehSloth / TehSloth
Cobell / Cobell
fmz65 / fmz65
dobilay / dobilay
triath / advian
Salboacha / Salboacha
GnomeTank / GnomeTank
Fluxcap / Haul_N_Oats
badpoet / badpoet
KidDynamite / Ninjaforhire
wanthony / Grie
blikbok / blikbok
YamiNoSenshi / YamiNoSenshi
Kitantho / Kitantho
Evyl / AncientEvyl
Fluffy, Our Beloved Flopsy Bunny Friend / Reo_Bravo
Vanderbrent / Vanderbrent
Rubycat / Rubycat3
Doctor Fink / Doctor_Fink
Grunjin / Grunjin
Mightyhog / AgreeingMachine
Killerkabuto / thekillerkabuto
Hayt / Old_Cthulhu
MrBrick / MisterBrick
Reznik / RenegadeGuardian
gnarlyhotep / Gnarlyhotep
wavecutter / Wavecutter
pablo the penguin / Pablo_the_cooke
Corehealer / Corehealer
Thirith / thirith_ch
Kreutz / KaptainKreutz
deveric / deveric

Multiplayer is based in a free-roaming atmosphere, wherein the entirety of the map is available for you and your posse to do various activities, like hunt, take out gang hideouts, etc. See the videos above for a more detailed look at both the free-roam and competitive multiplayer modes.

Skin-bears-get-trophies.JPG

Ceno on

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome, sales leaks indicate RDR is selling beautifully.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do we know yet if the Co-op glitches are issues with Live (I don't know how this could be the case) or is it something that R* will have to patch?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I didn't have any glitches with my co-op DLC experience, but they did a pretty good job on those new missions.

Fun times.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i eagerly look forward to having all games issued sorted out. blah.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really wish my new xbox would hurry up and get here. I havent played a game in weeks. Weeks!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of the only games ive got 100% on. Something i still want to do, is leisurely travel from Blackwater to Southwest Mexico. Just to look at shit, and not stress about anything.

Just waiting for the right chill moment to do so... Also hoping someone tries to horse-jack me, you know to break things up.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question

Hardcore free roam is the shit, and way better than standard free roam, and people should only play hardcore?

[Y / N]

My answer below:
    Yes

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have any tips on how to complete the Sharpshooter Rank 10 ambient challenge? Its the one to disarm 6 opponents without reloading.

I've been using the Evans Repeater but so far I haven't had much luck. Highest disarm chain I got was only 2. Seems like a lot of the time my disarms aren't counting. Like even if the enemy doesn't die, it doesn't register the disarm.

Lucascraft on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on how to complete the Sharpshooter Rank 10 ambient challenge? Its the one to disarm 6 opponents without reloading.

I've been using the Evans Repeater but so far I haven't had much luck. Highest disarm chain I got was only 2. Seems like a lot of the time my disarms aren't counting. Like even if the enemy doesn't die, it doesn't register the disarm.

Have to disarm the weapon without hurting them.

Also, when you enter deadeye, your gun refills. This doesn't count as reloading.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you can go to the mine in new austin, use the mauser and keep it up while moving into the mine. the enemies will for the most part come one at a time, so just get close and use dead eye to shoot the gun out of their hand. And remember that if they pick it up you can shoot it out again and it will count.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
    edited June 2010
    I completed that challenge in fort mercer.

Just walk in. Hold LT, don't let go until you have shot 6 guns out of 6 hands.

It was alot easier than it sounded.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really need to get back into this game. I put it down somewhere in Mexico to finish off inFamous, then the Crackdown 2 demo came out. I just really need to get back in the saddle.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish you could break
    continuity and choose between Jack and John as playable characters after the end. Like, I "get it", but I don't want it.

Hawk on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am looking forward to the co-op missions getting patched so they work well. Then I will play them.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    Sooooo....

I'm at the end of the game doing the last of my free roam stuff. I've been going on the assumption for the longest time that I didn't get the 20 missions on one horse trophy. Was going through my trophy list today, only missing 4 total now. Realized I already have the 20 missions on 1 horse. I've had it since 5/31.

Only 4 I'm missing are: Lose 5000 bounty, 500 mounted gun kills, 100% game, and max level in multi-player.

Lucascraft on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just picked this up yesterday, loving it so far. Weird random encounter today: guy kneeling on the ground next to a corpse, and before I can get there he shoots himself.

Also a strange glitch just a second ago. I was shooting someone close up with the sawed-off, and when it went into the alternate angle execution it would play twice quickly and the guy would still be alive. I tried it about three times and then he killed me...

Pemulis on
  • Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cant believe this fell to page 3 already?

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be fair, this is the like the sixth or seventh Red Dead thread.

Ceno on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I finally got to try the coop last night. Worked absolutely perfectly. What a difference from just two days earlier, where getting into free roam was a crap shoot and getting into coop was a lost cause. I'm looking forward to playing some more this weekend. Hopefully with some people who are more fun though... The pubbies I got grouped with were pretty much mute.

CyberJackal on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've picked this back up recently. I had a question about the horse breaking jobs. Is there any kind of reward for beating them all or is there a way to get better horses out of the whole deal? I'm still riding around on the tan one you get in an early mission.

Also, is there a way to identify which horses are worth catching in the wild?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited June 2010
    So I've picked this back up recently. I had a question about the horse breaking jobs. Is there any kind of reward for beating them all or is there a way to get better horses out of the whole deal? I'm still riding around on the tan one you get in an early mission.

Also, is there a way to identify which horses are worth catching in the wild?

The palomino that you get very early in the game is actually one of the best 3 horses available. Each major game region has one horse that's really good, and the palomino mustang is the one for New Austin.

When you get to Mexico, keep your eyes out for an all white horse. Those are the best in that region. Be warned though, there are fake white horses with black manes and tails. These are not as good as the all white ones with white manes and tails.

Then when you get to the third and final area, there's an all black horse.

All three of them have the same stats as far as speed and stamina goes. If I were you, I'd try my hardest to stick with the palomino as long as you can. There's a trophy/achievement for completing 20 missions in a row with the same horse.

Lucascraft on
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there a way to tell what kind of horse you currently have?

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So does the new DLC come with any new multiplayer characters?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    edited June 2010
    Woo. Sharpshooter Rank 10 complete. Got it while killing lawmen and building up my $5000 bounty. Legend of the West outfit complete.

Getting very close to my 100% now. Just need to do a couple more bounties and I think I've got it.

Lucascraft on
  • dexterdexter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    guys what the fuck. so i'm trying to catch some mustang for uncle, it literally took me 15minutes to get the first one, and then i tried for another 10min to get another one to no avail. most of the time as soon as i get on a horse it just throws me the fuck off immediately. FUCK this mission so hard.
    fuck this stupid part of the game where i just run around doing inane things on my ranch with my family.

dexter on
    3694663-1.png
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Those were my favorite missions... Its what hes been working on for the entirety of the game. How can anyone (who has invested that much time and is actually interested in the story) not enjoy them?

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Those were my favorite missions... Its what hes been working on for the entirety of the game. How can anyone (who has invested that much time and is actually interested in the story) not enjoy them?

Because although it does work in a story sense (I enjoyed getting to know the characters on the family ranch), it sucks gameplay-wise. I don't enjoy breaking multiple horses in a row or herding cattle. Those activities bore me to death.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just beat the game. I see what they were trying to go for with the ending, but I still feel a bit unsatisfied.

Also, Jason Schwartzman contributed drums to the soundtrack?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had an issue with one of the coop missions, specifically the one where you have to defend the town from the Mexican army, at night, in the rain, and they have fucking cannons.

I get to maybe the second objective before the cannons blow the entire town to shit, and no matter where I run the apparent splash damage from the cannon fire wipes out my entire team.

Any advice for how the hell we're meant to survive this? I rather like this challenge and wouldn't mind repeating it over and over to beat it, but every pugger I end up with usually votes to skip this map after one or two fails.

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Dagon wrote: »
    I had an issue with one of the coop missions, specifically the one where you have to defend the town from the Mexican army, at night, in the rain, and they have fucking cannons.

I get to maybe the second objective before the cannons blow the entire town to shit, and no matter where I run the apparent splash damage from the cannon fire wipes out my entire team.

Any advice for how the hell we're meant to survive this? I rather like this challenge and wouldn't mind repeating it over and over to beat it, but every pugger I end up with usually votes to skip this map after one or two fails.

I had the same problem. Your best bet is to kill the guys that rush you in town, and then make your way out of the town as soon as they are dead. You have to be quick, but try to get up the hills before the cannons are are ready. If you're lucky, you can pick off a few guys here and there on the gatling guns using the rocks and geography of the hill as cover. Also, use deadeye for guys far away or hard to see. The hill is sloped in a way where you can get to the top and you'll see they actually have a camp set up there where the cannons are firing from. Once you get up there there's more cover.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Dagon wrote: »

We did it by clearing out the side of town to the west I think, then we took the damn cannons.

Thomamelas on
  • The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, will give it a try tonight. Just hope I don't end up with a shitty team.

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
    edited June 2010
    I really disliked using cannons in the game. I'm better with hand guns, dammit!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    C'mon nobody has an answer????

Are there new multiplayer characters in the DLC???

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No new characters, sorry. would have been really cool though.

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tried duoing for some Co-op with a friend and we haven't beaten a single one. Two people just hasn't cut it with those silly amounts of red dots with deadly accuracy

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • dexterdexter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Witchsight wrote: »

because breaking horses and herding cattle several missions in a row sucks ass. story wise i know it's important, and i appreciate that, but it's boring as hell to play through.

dexter on
    3694663-1.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really disliked using cannons in the game. I'm better with hand guns, dammit!

whats wrong with cannons?

i shot a horse out of the sky with a cannon once

JamaiconBacn can corroborate this story

Joolander on
    edited June 2010
    Was it a bug?

I actually noticed more bugs post patch than pre. The floating hooker being kidnapped by the invisible brigand. The double Jacks. Floating guns.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited June 2010
    the multiplayer is suddenly so fucked for this game.

It's very disappointing.

Poor form R*. :(

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg