As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

9 months with no 360, need to play catch up.

honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Due to some shipping errors on microsoft's part, my red ringed 360 that I shipped out last august didn't get back to me until about 3 weeks ago. On the plus side, I got a free years subscription to live and 2 wireless controllers for my trouble. But! I am now pretty far behind on games I wanted to play. What are some of the must play titles I missed over the last 9 months?

Games I have:
Dead Space
Alan Wake
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Brutal Legend
SSF4
ODST
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Games I know I want to play:
Borderlands
MW2
Bad Company 2
Bioshock 2
Assasins Creed 2
Red Dead Redemption

So your job is to suggest to me anything I am forgetting that you think I need to play. I'm especially looking for decent RPGs. The last one I got to play was Eternal Sonata, which I really liked but my 360 red ringed about 15 hours into it.

I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
honkymcgoo on

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Stay the fuck away from MW2

I am serious

do not waste money on it.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Stay the fuck away from MW2

I am serious

do not waste money on it.

Really? You aren't the first person I've heard this from. It's actually why I haven't picked it up yet. Tell me more.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, he's definitely right. MW2 is a one trick pony in my opinion, after you complete a short but relativity average single player campaign, you enter the glitch filled, twelve year old ranting, hellish world of multiplayer, where they do not take kindly to new players. It's seriously awful, its twitchy and extremely disjointed with an arcade flavor. BC2 multiplayer is much better.

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Resonance of Fate is probably my favourite RPG for the 360.

Lost Odyssey is also great if you enjoy traditional JRPGs.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd give MOD2 a borrow before you buy it if possible. If you can put up with the myriad bullshit, more power to you, but I don't own a game I get can angrier with. Yet.

Borderlands is good, but you'll get burned out fast playing on your own.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll probably just try to borrow MW2. I mostly wanted the single player aspect, the only game I ever really got into on live is Halo 3. Or Settlers of Catan. Or Uno.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The SP is great if you're not actually in the military and love Michael Bay movies.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    honkymcgoo wrote: »
    I'm especially looking for decent RPGs. The last one I got to play was Eternal Sonata, which I really liked but my 360 red ringed about 15 hours into it.

May I suggest Breath of Death VII: The Beginning, the RPG that Slash000 and I made?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585504bd/

It's the second highest rated Indie Game on the US marketplace and it's only $1.

Also, keep an eye out for our next RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/25/cthulhu-saves-the-world-coming-to-xbox-live-indie-channel.aspx

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ironwang-e presents this multiplayer guide to get maximum pleasure and excitement from your Brutal Legend experience.

I don't see Mass Effect 1 and 2 on that list. ME 2 is and awesome action RPG, and they really tightened up the gunslinging without all the console chugging I associate with Bioware.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm especially looking for decent RPGs. The last one I got to play was Eternal Sonata, which I really liked but my 360 red ringed about 15 hours into it.

May I suggest Breath of Death VII: The Beginning, the RPG that Slash000 and I made?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585504bd/

It's the second highest rated Indie Game on the US marketplace and it's only $1.

Also, keep an eye out for our next RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/25/cthulhu-saves-the-world-coming-to-xbox-live-indie-channel.aspx

Yeeeeees I didn't know you were making another.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Assasins creed 2 and red dead redemption need to be on the top of that list. I've got them for the ps3 and they're great games.

I hear bioshock 2 is more of the same and nothing particularly new. If you haven't played the first one then I'd say bioshock 1 instead.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Batman Arkham Asylum.

Everyone should play through at least once. It's so damn good.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Batman Arkham Asylum.

There are only two Batman games I like.

1. Batman Arkham Asylum
    2. The Original GB Batman where Batman has a gun for some reason.

And that GB game creeped me out because it ended with a pixelated image of Jack Nicholson with that shit eating grin and he's splattered on the ground.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The SP is great if you're not actually in the military and love Michael Bay movies.

Yeah I did HUMINT in the Army through 3 tours so most games that purport to be realistic bug me. That said I still enjoy some of them.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Batman Arkham Asylum.

I totally forgot about that one! I do want that.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Batman Arkham Asylum.

Oh man, this.

I own Batman:AA too, this is a truly great game.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Transformers: War for Cybertron
    Borderlands
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Red Dead Redemption
    Bioshock 2 (after first is completed)
    Skate 3

These are my definite 'gotta play' selection.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when buying a new system/coming back to a new system: don't overload yourself.

Don't buy so many awesome games that you don't know what to play, or you skip to each game to play them all a little. You'll burn yourself out, you won't come back to 80% of the games, and you'll either end up trading them somewhere, or just not playing them.

Play one at a time, maybe switching between two, and try to keep to that.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Batman Arkham Asylum.

There are only two Batman games I like.

1. Batman Arkham Asylum
    2. The Original GB Batman where Batman has a gun for some reason.

And that GB game creeped me out because it ended with a pixelated image of Jack Nicholson with that shit eating grin and he's splattered on the ground.

Batman on the Amiga was pretty great too. For it's time anyway.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hillean wrote: »
    The biggest thing to keep in mind when buying a new system/coming back to a new system: don't overload yourself.

Don't buy so many awesome games that you don't know what to play, or you skip to each game to play them all a little. You'll burn yourself out, you won't come back to 80% of the games, and you'll either end up trading them somewhere, or just not playing them.

Play one at a time, maybe switching between two, and try to keep to that.

That's good advice in general. I've lost count of the times that I've bought a few games at the same time, end up loving one and playing it to death, and then by the time I finish it, the new game smell has worn off of the other games I bought and I never end up playing them.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yea, I threw that in there because he's got a crazy awesome selection now that he owns, and is asking for more. I have a feeling it might've happened.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yea, I threw that in there because he's got a crazy awesome selection now that he owns, and is asking for more. I have a feeling it might've happened.

I've beaten all the games I have. I pretty much do one at a time, maybe two if I hit a point of massive frustration in one. But yeah, all of those have been beaten.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well then, you're in good shape :D

Wait... you beat all those games in 3 weeks?

Eh... I don't see any long-lasting titles in that list, but still thats quite an accomplishment.

May I suggest FF 13?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Eh... I don't see any long-lasting titles in that list, but still thats quite an accomplishment.

May I suggest FF 13?

My roomate was gone for about a week and a half for work, so basically I just came home from work, played games, slept, got up, played games, went to work. Also, they're pretty short. Splinter cell was almost dissapointingly short, but the story and ending made up for that. Alan Wake took me the longest. Also, SSF4 never really gets beat.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

May I suggest FF 13?

A worse choice than MW2 in my opinion. Really disappointed in FF13. The first 30 hours are just an extended tutorial, and the story kinda sucks.
    The big finale is crystal tree lesbians? Really?

I'd suggest Mass Effect 2 instead.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »

May I suggest FF 13?

A worse choice than MW2 in my opinion. Really disappointed in FF13. The first 30 hours are just an extended tutorial, and the story kinda sucks.
    The big finale is crystal tree lesbians? Really?

I'd suggest Mass Effect 2 instead.

A buddy is loaning me mass effect 2. And I'm not a fan of those new fangled battle systems RPGs are using these days. Gimme a good old fashioned JRPG menu system.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's that tutorial comment again. People apparently do not know what a tutorial is if they think one can last 30 hours.

Regardless, Lost Odyssey is a good choice if you like more old-fashioned rpg systems.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    There's that tutorial comment again. People apparently do not know what a tutorial is if they think one can last 30 hours.

It's not so much that it's a 30 hour tutorial as much as for about 30 hours, the game feels like it's just about to start getting good. Then after 30 hours, you realize, nope, it's not going to get any better and in fact is going to get worse and then you sell the game ASAP.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As someone who is in a similar situation (Except I've been sans 360 for about two years), has anyone bought MS points from sellers who just send you the name/pw of an xbl account? Is this safe or is this some kind of scam? And finally, would I get banned for it or have the items i bought taken away?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As someone who is in a similar situation (Except I've been sans 360 for about two years), has anyone bought MS points from sellers who just send you the name/pw of an xbl account? Is this safe or is this some kind of scam? And finally, would I get banned for it or have the items i bought taken away?

Scam.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's not so much that it's a 30 hour tutorial as much as for about 30 hours, the game feels like it's just about to start getting good. Then after 30 hours, you realize, nope, it's not going to get any better and in fact is going to get worse and then you sell the game ASAP.

Yeah, it's just a coincidence that the learning part ends at a point where the game throws a bunch of bullshit at you. Everybody gives up in the exact same place.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Yeah, it's just a coincidence that the learning part ends at a point where the game throws a bunch of bullshit at you. Everybody gives up in the exact same place.

Eh, I was tired of a battle system that felt fresh at first but ended up being very easy to break wide open. I was tired of a level of palette swapping with monsters that was greater than your average NES RPG. I was tired of an equipment system that was obviously designed to pad out completion time so that people wouldn't sell the game quite as fast. I was tired of a plot that was almost completely divorced from the gameplay.

Graphics were awesome, music was great, characters were decent, and the combat was fun (until it got repetitive), but there were just so many problems with the game that I could not in good conscience recommend it to anyone at current prices. If you're still interested, wait a few months and pick it up for $20 or less.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm especially looking for decent RPGs.
    Tales of Vesperia is great. My favorite JRPG in the last few years. The characters are great, the graphics are beautiful, the presentation is very polished, and most importantly, the (action-based) battle system is so much fun.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arteen wrote: »
    I'm especially looking for decent RPGs.
    Tales of Vesperia is great. My favorite JRPG in the last few years. The characters are great, the graphics are beautiful, the presentation is very polished, and most importantly, the (action-based) battle system is so much fun.

I own this also, need to really sit down with it. Paid $25 for it, and everywhere else that I've seen it (IF I see it), its at least double that price.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Resonance of Fate and Tales of Vesperia are the only RPGs you'll need for a good, long while, whereas FF XIII is pretty much the closest the the series has had to "a series of tubes" since FF X - and by that I mean it's one long, fairly dull slog storywise with a good, but not good enough to justify a purchase, combat system.

Borderlands depends on how addicted you tend to be about getting more and more powerful weapons and gear - it's damn fun as a shooter, and the prospect of new shinies that make you an even more effective killing machine makes it even more fun; if you do pull the trigger on that (no pun intended) do yourself a favor and pick up the Zombie Island and General Knoxx DLCs.

I hear Transformers is really good (it's about to be shipped to me from Gamefly, so I'll know in a few days), and Crackdown 2 is about to come out next month - if you've never played the original I'd recommend it heartily for a great open world experience. Also, if extremely quirky bipolar mystery/action horror/open world/crazy Japanese games are something you enjoy, Deadly Premonition is only $20, and you'll get a good amount of play out of that one. Check out the Giant Bomb Endurance Run videos to see if it's something you'd like.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh yeah, Resonance of Fate is also reallygood. Seriously though, Lost Odyssey shouldn't be overlooked. It's basically what FFXIII should have been as it was made by the same guys who made previous FF titles, along with Umeatsu and his spectacular soundtrack. Also the writing for the dream stories is fantastic and probably the best you'll find in almost any game, not just RPG.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lost Odyssey also has the best comic relief character of any RPG because he is actually funny.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you can find it for cheap, Raiden 4. also Raiden Fighters Aces if you can find it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just Cause 2 is all kinds of fun. Also, explosions!

Some games I really enjoyed playing that haven't been mentioned yet:
    Metro 2033
    The Saboteur
    Alpha Protocol
    Aliens vs. Predator
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Delinator on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah I did HUMINT in the Army through 3 tours so most games that purport to be realistic bug me. That said I still enjoy some of them.

MW2 never claims to be realistic. It uses realistic weapons, and is set in the "current day," but it is not realistic. What Replace4Displace said is pretty much spot on... the game is fantastic if you shut off your brain and enjoy the roller coaster ride. The multiplayer is really not as bad as a lot of folks say. There's still a pretty good group of PA folks still playing, and they're willing to play with me (I suck pretty bad), so there's that. Even playing in random groups isn't that bad. Mute the assholes and there are still some decent folks to play with.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No, it's as bad as a lot of folks say and then some.

Balancing was done only to one weapon, a 123 year old shotgun with ridiculous range and power, and honestly dozens of other tweaks need to be made to other weapons. There are still gamebreaking glitches. There are dozens of minor ones - including silencers that don't work 7 months after release. Nearly everything is poorly implemented, there are hacked lobbies, and the community is the absolute worst of any game, ever - even Halo has a better community than the sorry sack of shit that is MW2.

And yet I still play it :rotate:

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png