As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPad] games: Your call dropped, use new thread

• NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    something called infection:zombies just popped up on appshopper for 99.

it looks really nice from screenshots, but the only gameplay video (assumedly provided by the game maker) is pretty shit, and the English in the description is questionable (never stopped me from enjoying something before..)

(link from the description)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_-p2fkJX8

I kind of want this? Paranoid for some reason....

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finally I have a reason to read this thread and not be jealous. Just started Space Miner, I have a feeling it's going to take up a lot of my time.

KalTorak on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit! New owner of a iPhone 4 here and getting acquainted with it and lo and behold I find out the app store has the awesome dinosaur hunting game Carnivores! And not only that its on sale for $2.99 this weekend!

So bought and so many good memories flooding back and it play really well. What a wonderful and scary device Jobs hath wrought.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Welcome all new iWhores! :) Feel free to ask any questions on games and such, and be sure to see the OP for some general-purpose game recommendations.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited June 2010
    I see Final Fantasy 1 is on here and I may get that just cause its quality but are there any other similar simple JRPGs?

Diablo clones like Torchlight?

Oh and a quality shmup. Akin to 1942 or Aero Fighters. Man that would be nice.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    I see Final Fantasy 1 is on here and I may get that just cause its quality but are there any other similar simple JRPGs?

Diablo clones like Torchlight?

For Diablo clones, you may want to check out Dungeon Hunter to scratch that lootwhore itch. As far as JRPGs, it's a little thin on the App Store; FF1 is a port of the PSP version, and there's also FF2 (the NES FF2); Chaos Rings looks great, but it's pricey for an iPhone game and the general results have been mixed as far as story. Zenonia and Zenonia 2 are pretty good action-RPG Zelda-ish games, and if you like roguelikes there are a number of good versions, such as Sword of Fargoal.

EDIT: There are an asston of great shmups! Space Invaders Infinity Gene and Espgaluda II (yes, the Cave shmup) are badass and control great. I also adore Bit Pilot, which is technically a dodge-'em-up.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited June 2010
    The thing that kinda sucks so far is that iTunes is easy to search but only if you know exactly what you are looking for.

They tout the gogillion apps but how much of it is true quality that I would be used to and not some converted browser game? Like this Carnivores game is fantastic and a good updated port of the PC original.

So far I've been browsing appshopper which I guess is Steam like in a way.

Oh I checked out Space Invaders demo but I find it hard in that it lacks color. I need crazy colors especially on this nice screen!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh god... FFT and Secret of Mana for iphone...

I might as well just get rid of my other portables now... god damn.

oh and where is this whole free app of the day thing coming from exactly?

ManetherenWolf on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So this may be the wrong place to ask but...

I just got an iPhone. I've been looking for a good lightsaber app and a wand (i.e., Harry Potter) app. I've seen several but haven't quite figured out which is the best. Any recommendations?

For lightsaber, just put in... uh... lightsaber. The official Star Wars one works fine.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh I checked out Space Invaders demo but I find it hard in that it lacks color. I need crazy colors especially on this nice screen!

dude, you know the game gets progressively more detailed and colorful as you "evolve" yes? play it a bit longer...

actually, buy it. it is good.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
    edited June 2010
    You can put Super Laser as a schmup that is worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54tpuvMqAfc

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can put Super Laser as a schmup that is worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54tpuvMqAfc

Second this, it's 99 cents during the World Cup and it's great.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thirdeded Super Laser- it's pretty nice and mildly raiden-esque.

If you like Euroshmups, then Assault Squadron is also very good, but suffers from the usual Euroshmup woes; uninspired ship design, dull bosses, overemphasis on shiny graphics with no regard to visibility (seriously, on the horizontal levels, one of the ships looks like a fat grey line, literally.) To be fair, i enjoyed it, but don't see myself inspired to return often.

[edit] actually, there's a thing- if anyone knows a good horizontal shmup, could they please let us know, even if it's been out for a while? Going through stuff like toucharcade, i often only really see the newest releases, but i'm sure there's a lot of good stuff in the iBackcatalogue...

DusT_HounD on
    edited June 2010
    Hrm, sorry to keep posting incessantly, but i was mildly excited that a horizontal shmup was recently released, called 'Alien Combat', which looked promising until i saw that the graphics have been blatantly stolen from the old SNES game, Biometal. Or is it licensed? Anyone know?

DusT_HounD on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blokus is out for the iPad. It's pretty great.

zilo on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) for the iPhone is hands down the best footy game on the platform. I own all of them. PES is league beyond at least in my brief time with it.

projectmayhem on
    edited June 2010
    Hrm, i had some cash left on my virtual credit card which was expiring at the end of the month, and on a whim i did a search of the app store for '8-bit', coming across Jailbreak: Voice Onrush.

It's a port of the DSiWare game, Escapee GO, and you take on the role of a girl who wakes up in a mysterious facility, with only a strange voice in her head giving her directions to escape.

What follows is a stealth action arcade game, with pixel graphics, and a pumping lo-fi soundtrack. Apparently it has 16 stages (i think- moot point really, as i'm stuck on stage 5), and you unlock first a free mode where it records your time for each stage, and then a survival mode (which i haven't unlocked yet). In each stage, you usually have to find a keycard/ switch to open the exit, and make it there without being caught by guards who patrol the area. You can also pick up items that let you sense where the guards are from further away, or run super-fast etc.

It has three control methods: swipe, virtual pad and tilt, and three difficulty settings. It cost me 1.59EUR, and overall i'd say it's decent value for those who like arcade games, pixel graphics, sneaking and great soundtracks... (OK, hopefully that's not just me!)

DusT_HounD on
  • antikewlantikewl Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    The Settlers is currently 99c/59p if you're into that kind of thing.

antikewl on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gameloft is having another sale including Oregon trail, HAWX, Rayman, Settlers, and another game that I'd be able to remember if itunes weren't a piece of crap that actually loaded what amounts to simple webpages without freezing up

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Hrm, i had some cash left on my virtual credit card which was expiring at the end of the month, and on a whim i did a search of the app store for '8-bit', coming across Jailbreak: Voice Onrush.

It's a port of the DSiWare game, Escapee GO, and you take on the role of a girl who wakes up in a mysterious facility, with only a strange voice in her head giving her directions to escape.

What follows is a stealth action arcade game, with pixel graphics, and a pumping lo-fi soundtrack. Apparently it has 16 stages (i think- moot point really, as i'm stuck on stage 5), and you unlock first a free mode where it records your time for each stage, and then a survival mode (which i haven't unlocked yet). In each stage, you usually have to find a keycard/ switch to open the exit, and make it there without being caught by guards who patrol the area. You can also pick up items that let you sense where the guards are from further away, or run super-fast etc.

It has three control methods: swipe, virtual pad and tilt, and three difficulty settings. It cost me 1.59EUR, and overall i'd say it's decent value for those who like arcade games, pixel graphics, sneaking and great soundtracks... (OK, hopefully that's not just me!)

I grabbed the full version of Jailbreak: Voice Onrush but it keeps crashing out to the home screen after I exit the first little room you start in. I'm using a iPhone 3GS with OS 4.0 - anyone else experiencing something similar?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
    edited June 2010
    @angrypuppy:
    whoa, sorry to hear you're having problems! I was just about to upgrade to 4.0 last night, but didn't yet, as when i was installing the latest itunes, it got interrupted and aborted. Kind of lucky for me, really!

DusT_HounD on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I tried the Lite version of Jailbreak and got the same crash error. A shame, as it actually looks cool—thanks for the tip, Dust_hound.

Been away for a bit, so I'll update the OP with that shmup recommendation, as it looks fly. I got the chance to look at a friend's iPhone 4, and Jesus H. Christ, that screen. Real Racing looks stunning on it; though honestly, I think it's most impressive just with plain-ass text. So crisp. <3

I checked out a cute little arcade game called Oddy Smog's Misadventure, and I really like it. It falls under the category of Doodle Jump-ish "climb till you fall" kinds of games, but I love the art style and music, and apparently there are hints that it's not entirely endless, which intrigues me. You're climbing up out of a tunnel with smog chasing you, and you can cling to different kinds of rotating gears to fling yourself upward; you've got a double-jump and you can control when you let go of the gears to project yourself around. I think there's a trailer on YouTube that I'll grab later, but it's oddly entrancing, and only 99 cents.

664422_4.jpg
    664422_2.jpg

Also picked up Pro Zombie Soccer, which is also only 99 cents and surprisingly funny. Going for headshots and score adds some nice strategy to what might be an otherwise mindless game, but it gets quite hard in the later levels unless you're smart about special weapons and enemy waves.

Lunker on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am very much enjoying Doodle God. It's $.99, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Some of the combinations are pretty funny. You start with 4 elements... Fire, Earth, Water, and Air... and you continue to combine them with each other, or their products, to create further complex things. Quick example: Fire and Water make Steam. Or... Fire and Rock make Lava... etc... Then you can combine Lava with something else, and so on.

GPIA7R on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you combine Fire and Water, does it automatically suck all the money out of your bank account?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, but Vodka and Human create Alcoholic :P

GPIA7R on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm digging Zombie Pro Soccer. It has really good presentation and it's a fun game to pass the time in small increments, exactly what I was looking for.

DrunkMc on
  • algorhythmalgorhythm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this thread requires more super quickhook.

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you combine Fire and Water, does it automatically suck all the money out of your bank account?

I see what you did there, well done.

Neurotika on
    edited July 2010
    Monkey Island 2 SE is out now for iPhone and iPad; I grabbed the iPhone version ($8) since I prefer the portability for my point-and-clicks.

Lunker on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, any word on that FFT port? I'm all ready to get fired on account of vijia gamez.

Neurotika on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice looking mini-eve space trader Ultraviolet Dawn is free today.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey so I finally got We Rule; I know we talked about player names but I can't find the page it was on. Any still playing that I can add?

DietarySupplement on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Smallworld update last night! Solo play! I am so fucking tired now!

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ohmigod I just spent an hour playing Doodle God

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited July 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, any word on that FFT port? I'm all ready to get fired on account of vijia gamez.

Not yet, sadly. Square Enix is peculiar in that they actually have a fair bit of iPhone presence, but they follow the traditional method of games announcements and previews (i.e., teasing months and months ahead of time) instead of what's become the regular App Store method of a game being released a few days or weeks after it's unveiled. I remember getting word of FF1&2 quite a while before it actually landed.

I'll probably end up buying FFT, even though I already have the PSP version, because man, is it good.
    DrunkMc wrote:
    I'm digging Zombie Pro Soccer. It has really good presentation and it's a fun game to pass the time in small increments, exactly what I was looking for.

Me too; I was expecting quirky, but I actually like the overall presentation and setup. I'm perpetually buying and trying more games than I actually end up finishing, but I think this one I'll see through to the end. :)

Lunker on
    edited July 2010
    I'm enjoying the update to Space Invaders: Infinity Gene atm; new unlockable ship and stuff, as well as a rotate mode that lets you play the game as a hori, rather than vert- pointless, but i kind of like it!

I also, like a sucker, downloaded the three DLC packs, for 1.59EUR EACH, which is crazy expensive, but each one gave two new stages and a ship each, based on some of Taito's back-catalogue- Darius, Metal Black and Night Striker, with new BGMs, and a boss specific to those games. So far, i only played through the Darius stages and it looks like it was the same boss for both levels, rather underwhelmingly.

Buying all three DLC packs also unlocked the R-Gray-2 from Raystorm, which i like a lot. Overall the paid-DLCs are probably only worth it for nostalgia/ shmup fans, but the update itself is worth the time it takes to download.

DusT_HounD on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Zombie Pro Soccer has the worst final boss ever. I can't even bring myself to finish it. They did a lot of clever stuff up until them. Quite surprised at how they mixed up the core gameplay.

I really want Small World for iPhone, damn it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited July 2010
    Oh ya, i almost forgot- if anyone had been lamenting the lack of good ports of Kenta Cho's shmups on the iDevices, fret no longer!

There has just been released a free port, rRootage Online, which runs really well on my 8GB 3rd gen touch, and retains all the modes, music etc. from the original (i think), and is far better than previous attempts at such versions. Apparently there's a save bug, where it doesn't save your progress, but the dev was talking about it on the toucharcade forums, and seems to be intending to address the issue sooner rather than later.

DusT_HounD on
    edited July 2010
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Oh ya, i almost forgot- if anyone had been lamenting the lack of good ports of Kenta Cho's shmups on the iDevices, fret no longer!

There has just been released a free port, rRootage Online, which runs really well on my 8GB 3rd gen touch, and retains all the modes, music etc. from the original (i think), and is far better than previous attempts at such versions. Apparently there's a save bug, where it doesn't save your progress, but the dev was talking about it on the toucharcade forums, and seems to be intending to address the issue sooner rather than later.

Oh hell yes, downloading now. I remember trying an earlier port and it being really disappointing, so this looks wonderful. Love Kenta Cho. <3 Gunroar was always my favorite.

Lunker on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey so I finally got We Rule; I know we talked about player names but I can't find the page it was on. Any still playing that I can add?

I'm playing now. I'm admanb.

admanb on