As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game & Video Lag - GPU not the problem

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
My roommate has been having horrible issues with game render and flash stream lag. He has no other noticeable problems, so he assumed it was his video card and just replaced it with a new one early today. No good; he's still experiencing the problems, and he just reformatted to rule out driver issues.

What's next? RAM? CPU? Wouldn't the issue be more far reaching if those were the culprits?

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you be a little more specific and descriptive than "game render and flash stream lag"? I have no idea what that means.

My top culprits for unexplained system hitching not related to GPU would be bad/insufficient PSU or overheating CPU.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Can you be a little more specific and descriptive than "game render and flash stream lag"? I have no idea what that means.

My top culprits for unexplained system hitching not related to GPU would be bad/insufficient PSU or overheating CPU.

Games and flash videos slow down like crazy.

Nothing else out of the norm happens at all, though.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd look at the CPU - when I first built my desktop, it wasn't performing as well as I expected it to; turns out the CPU cooler wasn't attached properly, so it was overheating and underclocking itself to try and compensate.

(The newest Flash release enables GPU rendering of Flash media, but if he's already replaced that I'd look at the CPU cooling solution.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png