As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

9 months with no 360, need to play catch up.

2»

• s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lost Odyssey also has the best comic relief character of any RPG because he is actually funny.

I wanted to light those goddamn kids on fire by the end of the third disk. They absolutely fucking ruined what would've been a perfectly good, if rather generic, RPG.

I never even finished it, they annoyed me so much.

s3rial one on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The SP is great if you're not actually in the military and love Michael Bay movies.

And this is probably being overly generous. Realism isn't the problem (it isn't very realistic or anything, but that's forgivable), the hilariously bad, overdramatic soap-opera in wartime-style writing is.

That's really the best way to describe MW2's story. War Soap Opera.

If you're looking for an RPG, Tales of Vesperia is pretty good, and different than what we think of for most JRPGs. If you haven't already tried it.

Mass Effect 2 just came out, both it and the first game are very, very good (though the combat in the first one sucks, it's got a story that makes up for it). Hope that was helpful, chances are you've already played both those though.

EDIT: Ah, okay, if you like menus, give a look at FFXIII. Menus out the ass. And the combat can be a lot of fun. People hate the story though....

Synthesis on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would like to second BoD:7 the Beggining, the $1 indie game by rainbow and slash.

Tommatt on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tales of Vesperia is probably the best JRPG this console generation, and I'm just as shocked by this as anyone else.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Tales of Vesperia is probably the best JRPG this console generation, and I'm just as shocked by this as anyone else.

Lies, breath of death owns every rpg in the last 10 years, and its only a buck!

Tommatt on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It weirds me out, how many people think this considering how awful the Tales of series is. How can you enjoy an RPG if the writing is so awful?

I would buy Deadly Premonition because it's unique, legitimately funny, and something you won't see again until the next console cycle, if you're lucky.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Beck wrote: »
    It weirds me out, how many people think this considering how awful the Tales of series is. How can you enjoy an RPG if the writing is so awful?

I would buy Deadly Premonition because it's unique, legitimately funny, and something you won't see again until the next console cycle, if you're lucky.

Still leagues better than FF XIII's script most of the time. Also much more likable characters. I admit the plot does drag and get hammy at times but Vesperia was still one of the most enjoyable JRPG experiences I've had.

Also, don't forget about some of the great XBLA titles that have been released recently; Perfect Dark is still as fun as ever (with some great added options to tweak controls and other stuff in the latest patch), and the Summer of Arcade is just about to begin, so there's always that to look forward to.

Grimthwacker on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This year's summer of arcade doesn't look as good as the last couple, though. Monday Night Combat might be alright, Tomb Raider looks great, but beyond that is a Castlevania of questionable worth, a remake of Hydro Thunder (great and all, but we've already played it)...

There's other good looking XBLA titles coming out (NECROMACHINA!), but not in the summer, it seems. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm... I think my local mom & pop game/cd store has a guide for Tales of Vesperia, I may hafta raid it this afternoon to see if its still there. Picked one up for Valkyria Chronicles a few weeks back.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're interested in Vesperia, be warned that the demo sucks. It's in the least-flattering place that they could have put a demo, and you can't change the (awkward) default controls in the demo.
    They have a lot of charm. And while the plot isn't that great (the game even feels like it switches plots halfway through), I loved the characters. There's a good amount of character development and lots interaction between party members. The skits are great for that.

Arteen on
    edited June 2010
    Arteen wrote: »
    If you're interested in Vesperia, be warned that the demo sucks. It's in the least-flattering place that they could have put a demo, and you can't change the (awkward) default controls in the demo.

This. Repeatedly. Why they chose a small section of the game with an infuriating boss battle but very little to do with the overall plot as the demo, I'm not sure...

Synthesis on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If 2-d is your cup of tea, Deathsmiles is coming out tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQPNPUlYH30&feature=related

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yea get deathsmiles. and import mushihimesama while youre at it.

you might also try darksiders, its pretty cool.

Ah_Pook on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Resonance of Fate is probably my favourite RPG for the 360.

:^: :^: :^:

I'd be playing it right now if not for my backlog.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited June 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Well Cave is planning on localizing more of their stuff. I can't find the interview, but they made Mushihime region free to test the west market, and now they've decided just to localize everything and extend the olive branch. I'd wait and see, because there is potential to save a lot of money instead of importing it, and buying the Black Label edition.

Cantido on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'd suggest Far Cry 2. I really liked the SP story. I'd also suggest Fallout 3, which I love so much that it hurts sometimes.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Crashtard wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'd suggest Far Cry 2. I really liked the SP story. I'd also suggest Fallout 3, which I love so much that it hurts sometimes.

Yeah I scored FC2 for £8, really enjoying it, fantastic bargain game.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Well Cave is planning on localizing more of their stuff. I can't find the interview, but they made Mushihime region free to test the west market, and now they've decided just to localize everything and extend the olive branch. I'd wait and see, because there is potential to save a lot of money instead of importing it, and buying the Black Label edition.

yea but imagine how awesome it would be to be playing Mushimesama right now, instead of waiting for some theoretical localized version that will honestly probably never happen anyway and if it does it will be like a year from now.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

yea but imagine how awesome it would be to be playing Mushimesama right now, instead of waiting for some theoretical localized version that will honestly probably never happen anyway and if it does it will be like a year from now.

Just sayin':

Deathsmiles on Monday for 50$ > Mushihime 2 in a week for $texas on Ebay.

Cantido on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know why we're even discussing other RPGs when Dragon Age is the best one this year bar none.

Especially since some seem to be saying "well <such and such game> had a bad story but everything else was good".

What the fuck is the point of an RPG with a bad story? That's the entire point of an RPG. An RPG with a bad story may as well be an FPS.

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2010
    Dragon Age I 100%'d, but tbh I didn't think much on the story. The characters were intriguing, for the most part, but the story didn't really grab me, as 80% of it was just recruiting more people.

And yea, thanks to this thread, Resonance of Fate + last strategy guide in stock bought'd. *sigh* backlog +1

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I don't know why we're even discussing other RPGs when Dragon Age is the best one this year bar none.

Especially since some seem to be saying "well <such and such game> had a bad story but everything else was good".

What the fuck is the point of an RPG with a bad story? That's the entire point of an RPG. An RPG with a bad story may as well be an FPS.

Choose your words carefully, you just described Borderlands. Dont ever go into that for story. :P

Cantido on
  • honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picked up Tales and Lost Odyssey. If you guys steered me wrong...so help me....

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
    edited June 2010

True, and the voice acting for Karol is grating as all hell. I think the fact that Vesperia still is among the best this gen speaks more to the lousy quality of JRPGs this gen(Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, bleh). I have a hunch Resonance of Fate is better, but I have yet to try it myself(keep in mind I'm keeping Valkyria Chronicles out of this discussion as it is a PS3 exclusive, damn good though).

Sagroth on
    edited June 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Um, many of the best RPGs had crappy stories, honestly. The original Final Fantasy(and arguably 7 and 9, also), Dragon Quest 2, and so on(admittedly, many of these don't hold up to the test of time, but they were still a big deal when they were released).

A good story can't make a bad game good, but it can make a good game great.

Sagroth on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hillean wrote: »
    The biggest thing to keep in mind when buying a new system/coming back to a new system: don't overload yourself.

Don't buy so many awesome games that you don't know what to play, or you skip to each game to play them all a little. You'll burn yourself out, you won't come back to 80% of the games, and you'll either end up trading them somewhere, or just not playing them.

Play one at a time, maybe switching between two, and try to keep to that.

That's good advice in general. I've lost count of the times that I've bought a few games at the same time, end up loving one and playing it to death, and then by the time I finish it, the new game smell has worn off of the other games I bought and I never end up playing them.

I did exactly this when I bought my Wii and PC. I went out and bought every game I was really looking forward to on both systems. My PC I managed to get through a lot of them, but my Wii, the furthest I've gotten is about galaxy 4 in Mario Galaxy and mission 3 in The Conduit. Everything else it pretty much unplayed.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2010
    So Resonance of Fate apparently is pretty fucking awesome.

Spent 2 hours just going through the Prologue... hahaha, random battles in the back alleys ftw

Trying to get a grip on the combat system, I'm guessing every round won't be a 'hit X to move here, shoot stuff, next person rinse/repeat' since you can run out of Bezels or whatever stupid name they have, and go 'Condition Critical' and get all pussified.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    [QUOTE=mere_immortal;15485814]Resonance of Fate is probably my favourite RPG for the 360.

Lost Odyssey is also great if you enjoy traditional JRPGs.[/QUOTE]

Going to second (or third or fourth?) this suggestion. If you can find it, it's definitely a solid JRPG.

Lilnoobs on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Spent 2 hours just going through the Prologue... hahaha, random battles in the back alleys ftw

Trying to get a grip on the combat system, I'm guessing every round won't be a 'hit X to move here, shoot stuff, next person rinse/repeat' since you can run out of Bezels or whatever stupid name they have, and go 'Condition Critical' and get all pussified.

There's a resonance of fate thread buried somewhere in this forum and it may help you out. Later on when you get about 7 bezels+, hero actions and resonance attacks become your standard attacks.

Lilnoobs on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

There's a resonance of fate thread buried somewhere in this forum and it may help you out. Later on when you get about 7 bezels+, hero actions and resonance attacks become your standard attacks.

I was just about to make a post there myself, but here are some basic strategies to help you out:
    - Remember that your team levels when their weapon proficiency does, so make sure to switch gear around and try to do some leveling on easier fights. Thrown weapons aren't terribly useful in the long run, but you should spend some time leveling those up with cheap stuff like normal hand grenades and molotovs to help you along.
    - Make sure you have the combat system down pat: do and redo every tutorial section until you're familiar with everything, since they all have their uses: Gauge Breaks and launches cancel enemy charges, giving you more time to attack; Smackdowns do extra Direct Damage (when using a handgun) and give you some extra cash in the form of Silver and Gold Chips; breaking off body parts not only recovers some Hero Gauge, but also gives you a better shot at the body - something that becomes crucial later on.
    - The Arena's a great place to do some leveling and get items for synthesis, as well as Energy Hexes. When entering a new area try to clear as much of the place as possible: you'll often find some very useful items including ammo, grenades, the occasional bezel shard, and recovery items.
    Good luck with the game, and have fun. Just remember to take it at your own pace and do as many side missions as possible for good gear to help you out.

Grimthwacker on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be honest, Dragon Age was what Neverwinter Nights 2 should have been and I think that's why I like it so much.

Dhalphir on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tried Darksiders yet? It's a fun Zeldaish clone. You can get the demo off xbox live and it's a very thorough demo.

edit: I see it has been recommended. Still, demo.

Sipex on
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just Cause 2 is easily the most fun you can have in a sandbox game. Everything you do tends to look like Michael Bay scripted it whether you mean for it to or not.

DaSniper91 on
    edited June 2010
    Did they manage to fix the really shitty helicopter flying that appeared in the demo?

Synthesis on
  • BixBix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Also, if extremely quirky bipolar mystery/action horror/open world/crazy Japanese games are something you enjoy, Deadly Premonition is only $20, and you'll get a good amount of play out of that one. Check out the Giant Bomb Endurance Run videos to see if it's something you'd like.

If you haven't had your 360 for 9 months, then you missed Deadly Premonition.
    IGN gave it a 2.0 out of 10.
    Destructoid gave it a 10 out of 10.
    WTF?
    I just know I had more fun playing this than I did Episodes of Liberty City of Red Dead Redemption.
    Interesting crimes, strange townsfolk, and great musical score.

Bix on
    We're all OD'd on the Olden West,
    seein' who's Cowboy clothes look the best!