As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hooking 360 to a 1600 x 900 Monitor

Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
My google-fu isn't serving me well today.

My old CRT TV gave out today and since all I ever used it for was gaming, I decided to see about hooking up a nice PC monitor I had laying around. I understand that I'll need two adaptors, one for the 360 -> Monitor, and one for the audio jacks to a 3.5mm stereo female, but I'm not particularly literate about these things.

For getting a 1600 x 900 monitor to work well, would VGA or HDMI-to-DVI be better? Since the resolution itself isn't exactly supported, how close can I get? If not streched, will the letterboxing be particularly bad?

Any help would be rad. I'm only vaguely knowledgeable about any of this.

Frosty the Snow Plow on

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-360-VGA-Video-Cable/dp/B000B6MLTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277582818&sr=8-1

official xbox 360 vga cables, contains everything you need including the rca->3.5mm stero adapter.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well that would cover it. :)

This is kind of a specific concern, but can't hurt to ask: Anyone know for sure you can find a good match for 1600 x 900 resolution since it isn't supported?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The 360 should autoselect the proper resolution.

Mine always did when I switched it to a non 1080/720 standard resolution monitor.

Worst case go into the system settings and choose a resolution that is the same aspect ratio as your monitor.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Fantastic, thanks.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I used my 1680x1050 monitor for over half a year and it scaled fine, though admittedly, this was after the patch.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HDMI to DVI or VGA should work fine, I have used both settings perfectly fine on a 1680x1050 monitor. I don't know that it has 1600x900 but it might.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else