As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    "Hey guys, I helped storm a Fort and won a bag, but because you had the chest disappear after what feels like 5 seconds and because my respawn timed out and I was jogging back I couldn't get my stuff. Could you recover it for me please?"
    "We no longer do that. Can't be bothered. Please turn 50 more Forts until you get lucky again."
    "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"

Unclaimed bags get mailed to you within 24 hours.

Unless this is a GOA thing then good lord that sucks.

Transporter on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Hey guys, I helped storm a Fort and won a bag, but because you had the chest disappear after what feels like 5 seconds and because my respawn timed out and I was jogging back I couldn't get my stuff. Could you recover it for me please?"
    "We no longer do that. Can't be bothered. Please turn 50 more Forts until you get lucky again."
    "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"

Unclaimed bags get mailed to you within 24 hours.

Unless this is a GOA thing then good lord that sucks.

I'm guessing this was before that change.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yep. Before the change, and GOA's policy was "tough cookie".

Glal on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    After having tried pvp in like five different MMOs since WAR, I want to punch every single tard on the official forums and warhammer alliance that wouldn't stop bitching about how the game was so 'imbalanced waa waa' also known as 'I lose a lot, I am going to blame the game'.

Christ, of all the ones I've tried since, only Aion's classes could make the argument they are balanced, but balanced or not, there are so many bad pvp design decisions that I managed to get bored of that game in less than two weeks (specifically, the game is so boring that you'd be lucky to GET to the point you are allowed to pvp outside of duels before getting bored, I couldn't). As for the rest, they were so laughably worse balance-wise than WAR that I wonder what those people were smoking.

The only problem I can really say WAR had a monopoly on was tier 4 massive battles turning my computer's video card into slag. And even then, I had enough fun in them compared to everything else. The rest of the issues they had, everything else I've tried had them 10x worse.

For all the stupid decisions Mythic made, WAR really was the best PvP MMO out on the market by a huge margin. The death of this game and the lack of anything decent to replace it is making me want to punch kittens, I am raging so hard right now. Absolutely nothing even playable to my tastes out right now, all I can do is wait for SW:TOR, and pray they shoved a decent amout of pvp content into it. And I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

If it wasn't for the Steam sale, I would be so bored out of my farking mind right now.

Astale on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It surprises me that people still deny there was any imbalances in WAR. We must have been playing different games.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited June 2010
    I think what he's saying is "what imbalances WAR has are nothing compared to other MMOs with PVP". Which is true. Doesn't mean WAR's classes need some serious tweaking (especially MDPS), but it's true.

Glal on
    edited June 2010
    I'm not saying there wasn't imbalance. I'm saying everything else had it worse.

(what Glal just said as I was typing this)

Astale on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think what he's saying is "what imbalances WAR has are nothing compared to other MMOs with PVP". Which is true. Doesn't mean WAR's classes need some serious tweaking (especially MDPS), but it's true.

Ahhh then yes I agree with that statement 1000% , other games have been far far worse.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm of the mind that healers +sorcs/bw's was pretty stupidly imbalanced though.

It's possible that as a whole it was more balanced, but I can't help but believe that those two classes when looked at individually were far more imbalanced than most other imbalanced classes in the MMO's I've played.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They supposedly fixed the PBAoE spells that made BWs (and Sorcs I guess) so powerful. But it didn't seem like it to me when I was playing last week. Really one caster and a pocket healer was and still seems to be enough to put all kinds of hurt on the opposite team, and it is never just one.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    True story; I'm running an ongoing WFRP campaign. One of the players made a Bright Wizard. A Witch Elf raider slit the character's throat and killed him in the third session.

I couldn't help myself.

(luckily the player wanted a new character anyway, but goddamn if it didn't feel good to one-shot a BW)

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Good

Good

Malkor on
    edited June 2010
    Having played a BW for order and Sorc for destruction (in guilds that ran premades of the type that made the forums scream), they're both equally as bad with a pocket healer and guard in a premade. I never got why people seemed to think otherwise (that BWs were 'better' or something), as the few attacks Sorcs had that worked differently than the BW versions were not the ones that had anything to do with the bombing stuff.

Sorcs could be just as bad as BWs in a group, and actually far far worse 1v1.

(Though I will say WPs were better support than DoKs in bomb groups, which I also played both of. WPs, for a while, just had better tactics for bomb groups)

Astale on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    WAR has always struggled with balance issues. It doesn't help that classes rely on each other to not feel gimped. As a shaman without a tank, I could see why solo players would cry foul.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Having played a BW for order and Sorc for destruction (in guilds that ran premades of the type that made the forums scream), they're both equally as bad with a pocket healer and guard in a premade. I never got why people seemed to think otherwise (that BWs were 'better' or something), as the few attacks Sorcs had that worked differently than the BW versions were not the ones that had anything to do with the bombing stuff.

(Though I will say WPs were better support than DoKs in bomb groups, which I also played both of. WPs, for a while, just had better tactics for bomb groups)

For a good while there were tons more BWs than Sorcs, which led to a lot of the hate. All the SWs and Lion Tamers (forgot their name that's how lame they are) re-rolled to 'em it seemed like.

Malkor on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »

For a good while there were tons more BWs than Sorcs, which led to a lot of the hate. All the SWs and Lion Tamers (forgot their name that's how lame they are) re-rolled to 'em it seemed like.

White Lion's.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited June 2010
    White Lions. Wish I'd rerolled, rather than pushed to 40. :(

Glal on
    edited June 2010
    lol I honestly did feel bad for those dudes. They had a legitimate complaint that seemed to be drowned out by everyone else.

Malkor on
    edited June 2010
    It's really odd, I always got the impression that Mythic listened to what people said and put effort into trying to fix things... but then you saw patch notes that essentially said "This broken ability does less damage, this shit ability does more damage", got excited, fired up the game and realized they only modified both abilities by about 2% and absolutely nothing fucking changed.
    Oh, you buffed my lion's health so it no longer dies to stray AoEs? Awesome! Now how about giving him a purpose other than a single cheesy level 40 power that you nerfed into uselessness before I even got to level cap? :?

Glal on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mythic used to do this, untell they were bought by EA, and since then its been down hill ..Actualy it all started when mark jacob "left".

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited June 2010
    They were poor balancing doing well before Mark left.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    Raz, don't drink this early in the day. This is what we call an intervention, it's for your own good.

Glal on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really enjoyed this game, and WoW is getting really boring. Is it worth coming back?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited June 2010
    Raz, don't drink this early in the day. This is what we call an intervention, it's for your own good.
    I blame the iPhone's auto-correct.

But yeah, balance has sucked since launch.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Though even with Daoc Balanced sucked with launch + though the way they ever did balance was by derfing each class that was over powered. Void Eldridtchs, berserkers and snowsquall, etc etc .
    Really why didn't they just folow what worked with Daoc and then acutlay make good pve ..you would think it wouldn't be that hard.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I deleted the game again after playing for about 5 of the 10 free days. Trying to slog through levels 30-40 on an order dominated server just wasn't fun. I'm pinning my hopes on WoD or secret world at this point.

E.Coyote on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DAoC balance sucked but man it never got to me my fun level. Either when I played hib(hammer master) or a 2-h Pally. I know gimped but it was fucking fun. War reminds me a lot of the DAoC balance. At times some classes suck balls and others are single handily handing people their asses(I am looking at you Shadowblades!) but if you get into some decent group fights it isn't that horrible at all.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    I deleted the game again after playing for about 5 of the 10 free days. Trying to slog through levels 30-40 on an order dominated server just wasn't fun. I'm pinning my hopes on WoD or secret world at this point.

A server are always dominated by one side at least once a day. For a couple of hours. Then it flips to the other side and the previously dominating side complains that the server is dominated by the previously dominated side. The circle of life continues...

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited June 2010
    E.Coyote wrote: »

A server are always dominated by one side at least once a day. For a couple of hours. Then it flips to the other side and the previously dominating side complains that the server is dominated by the previously dominated side. The circle of life continues...

More or less, this. I've found on Badlands so far, it never sticks to one side or the other for too long which is nice.

Arthil on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh come on now, let's be honest and admit that the class balance in WAR was horrible in the early days. I quit playing around the time Jacobs was fired, so I don't know if it got any better, but I do remember that my Squig Herder couldn't kill a hamster. I had one of the few working AOE snares, so that was pretty neat in PVP, but otherwise I spent every battleground running back from the graveyard. And those stinking Flame Wizards ruled the game. Nothing could touch those guys.

Fairchild on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know about Sorcs, but I know one of the things that made BW's insane in the beginning is the fact that they could easily debuff their own damage type. Combine with their ability to do huge AoE damage just by dropping a few DoTs on people and that shit was out of control.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just to see what they were all about I did start a Fire Wizard and entered that entry-level island battleground with the lighthouse on it. The entire Order team were Wizards standing on the lighthouse hill tab-DOTing the Chaos saps who died before they could even move in sight of their enemies.

Fairchild on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bright Wizards.

Yeah, running toward the danger headon does get oneself killed.

Also, why the fuck do Destro players head to the goddamn lighthouse?! You take the barracks and the goddamn fort and the kill all the damn Order on the bridge!

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited June 2010
    We sneak! It's a distraction, tactics!

Anyway, BW's are my bitches usually. Course I am a Chosen, so...

Arthil on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whats this Sorc bombing i keep hearing about and getting utterly destroyed by? From what i understand its something BWs cant do anymore.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorc bombing is very similar to modern BW bombing. Last patch the most common "bomb abilities" got nerfed and now require a basic understand of your class, requiring using 2 to 3 extra buttons to effectively accomplish what previously could be done with one button.

What this has done has completely neutered the BW/sorc classes, rendering them completely unplayable, and with only the highest single target DPS in the game to compensate people are leaving them in droves. Just ask the forums.

Fun fact Black Orc AOE damage was high harder than BW damage in the famous "AOE nerf patch."

Detharin on
    edited June 2010
    Honestly being the best single target AND AoE was a bit much anyway.

Arthil on
  • VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I got my 18 SH restored on Badlands, so anyone there should hit me up sometime: Deadgit

Videotape on
    edited June 2010
    We're gonna have some fun! =D

Arthil on
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just re-subbed and am having a blast! Of course I have some friends and old guildies/a full alliance to group up with so I am avoiding the frustration of getting curb stomped in a PuG...

Class balance is a joke, most classes can excel quite easily with support. What's really hit this game is the lack of official class guides like they have in WoW for those who just want FoTM spec's and don't want to crunch numbers.

I have played a Black Orc since launch and never felt underpowered, in fact 1v1 it has to be the most powerful class in the game... Unkillable and with the debuffs just a monster pre and post the self heal nerf, dueling Order (Single or in a small grp) is a really good way to get out and understand how your spec works... Scenarios and Open RvR isn't, you are forced to rely on group balance and everybody way too much to get a feel for if you were effective or not.

Just some basics take it for what you want:
    Your Init matters, your Toughness matters, your Wounds matter and finally your main DPS stat matters. Generally your armour sets will let you cap your DPS stat, STR, Int or Wis respectively and you need to ensure you keep your Init Crit rate below 5% and toughness as close to cap as possible. If you do this as a tank you can giggle people to death and MDPS/RDPS/Healers will all finally have a few seconds to faceroll an escape if a slayer or brightwizard jumps you.

If anyone is destro on Iron Rock and needs a guild feel free to message Grrrr or Smrt for an invite, we are rank 40 so there are a cpl perks. There are a few grind groups the alliance throws up for Power leveling through 12-40, but I won't promise they'll take you.

Hyku on