As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] Only 2 weeks left! Sign up to the PA friend list in the OP now!

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh yeah hold position. I always forget about that guy

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    the fact that this thread even exists when the game is down is pretty alright

Lustre let's play some SC2 custom maps! :D

Oh wait

So what custom maps can I play at the moment? I asked earlier, but never got an answer.

Should be able to play any single player custom map. Just drag it onto the exe or launch it with the editor.

I know that. Tell me what to play. That isn't build order practice.

jothki on
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wanna be more specific? You want tower defense stuff? AI's to play against? Multitasking trainers?

www.sc2mapster.com has treated me very well during the downtime. Browse and just give shit a try.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Grey6sdGrey6sd Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm hoping they'll just announce B.net 2.0 was an overly long April Fools' joke some time before release. But even if they don't, I am hype.
    Melkster wrote: »
    the fact that this thread even exists when the game is down is pretty alright

Lustre let's play some SC2 custom maps! :D

Oh wait

So what custom maps can I play at the moment? I asked earlier, but never got an answer.

Should be able to play any single player custom map. Just drag it onto the exe or launch it with the editor.

I know that. Tell me what to play. That isn't build order practice.

Build Order tester (Kinda janky): Download and instruckshuns http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=126942

Grey6sd on
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That isn't build order practice.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Exxxcelent! I love learning new search terms for things.

One more question - often I see guys micro by running away from melée to build distance, then stop and shoot, then back to retreating. Is this typically done by pressing stop or by quickly whipping the mouse around?

Pretty sure most people do it by right-click moving and then using hold position (thus the term "hold position micro) but I do it the same way Rev does it.

There's a couple different techniques you might want to know about.

Let's say your units are B, the enemy is A, and the direction you are running is in C:

A---B---C

The advantage of a-clicking at C is that it's easy to alternate between right click and a-click and you don't have to move your mouse cursor at all. However, if you have a large army with a mixed composition your army will start to separate as the units further towards C (or having shorter attack range) will just keep on moving toward C without turning around. If you want to stick close together, then H or S (hold or stop) might be a better option.

If you're fast, you might want to try alternating between a-click and right click BUT a-click an enemy unit at A and right click towards C. You'll have to be fast with your mouse cursor. The advantage here is that you can focus fire weak enemy units to maximize the damage. As well, all your units will turn around to attack. Do NOT right click directly on top of an enemy unit to focus fire it though, use a-click. The reason here is that if you misclick with right click, your entire army will move in the direction of the enemy and will not attack. You're going to take a lot of free hits. With the a-click, if you miss the unit you want to target your army will still attack (not focus firing but still better than nothing).

I use all the techniques at different times. If you're outmatched and retreating and just don't want to donate units to the enemy then a-clicking / right clicking at C is what you want to do. If you're just doing the move and shoot then go with the hold position or the last method mentioned.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
    edited June 2010
    Ezekiel wrote: »
    Wanna be more specific? You want tower defense stuff? AI's to play against? Multitasking trainers?

www.sc2mapster.com has treated me very well during the downtime. Browse and just give shit a try.

Thanks.

jothki on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My 4 glorious weeks of vacation starts on Juli 26th.

My girlfriend knows nothing about the SC2 release the day after.

This will end in tears

Movitz on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My GF's 25th birthday is 2 days after the release of SC2.

Goddamnit, I have to spend time with her.

4rch3nemy on
    edited June 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Do NOT right click directly on top of an enemy unit to focus fire it though, use a-click. The reason here is that if you misclick with right click, your entire army will move in the direction of the enemy and will not attack. You're going to take a lot of free hits.

Yes I am very familiar with this.

Because I've seen it happen in replays. Yep. Replays.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    qxc & Artosis Vs TLO & Jinro going on right now on HD's stream

Or at least was till the replay shit the bed or something

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Do NOT right click directly on top of an enemy unit to focus fire it though, use a-click. The reason here is that if you misclick with right click, your entire army will move in the direction of the enemy and will not attack. You're going to take a lot of free hits.

Yes I am very familiar with this.

Because I've seen it happen in replays. Yep. Replays.

good to know

since i always right click to focus-fire

xta on
    edited June 2010
    I am very excited to start playing again so I can use the keyboard for all kinds of things.

I am not quite into it enough to just play on a build order tester over and over though.
    !
    Actually - I think I heard of some kind of custom map that you could set to a variety of openings? Like, it would send the output of a 6-pool at you at the appropriate time? Is this something that is real or have I made it up in my head?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    YABOT

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    I am going to look that up and I hope it is more "y-dawg's awesome build order tester" and less "you are being overly talkative"

fake edit: yesssssss you guys are great

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • MattigusMattigus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    My GF's 25th birthday is 2 days after the release of SC2.

Goddamnit, I have to spend time with her.

Haha. I take it she won't be happy with a copy of SC2 for her birthday?

Mattigus on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HD : "Holy crap! A Baneling Nest. I think we are going to see some banelings."

That is some high level commentary right there.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, I can't wait until I can play SC2 again. (Against people atleast) :\

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Isoldae wrote: »

Man whatever. I throw down baneling nests just to make my enemy think that I may eventually get banelings.
    Some time's I'll even poop creep on his base and build it in his base, just to make sure he sees it.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "hey motherfucker, banelings are coming. kaboom, kaboom cockwad."

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I think the only thing keeping them in the game is that TLO can handle the micro while his partner macros

well the good thing is they can have one person microing while the other macros

They're still in this game because one is flying around microing while the other one focuses on macro

SHUT UP HD

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you want to feed your nerdrage see the games posted of HD playing Z against a T, on his youtube channel. He's making so many mistakes. Mistakes I'd make, probably, but considering how much HD bitches about pro's making gaffes, he kinda sucks.

Rivulent on
    edited June 2010
    That's my issue with HD, is he isn't a high-level player but he says things they do are bad or not a good idea or something. I don't mind him saying, "I'm not quite sure I'd recommend that" or something like that but he spouts off like it's a huge mistake or something.

FuriousJodo on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have seen some videos where he's like "oh man he's going x, that's a bad move because his enemy can y"
    and i'm just like, "umm... no they can't."

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, if I am ever doing commentary for street fighter or someting (not that I'm the greatest) I will say something like 'Usually in that situatio you want to do X, but we'll see if this pays off for him" or something like that, assuming you know the only answer in that situation is usually not a good way to go heh.

FuriousJodo on
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As long as commentators don't use too many ummms, ahhs, hrmmms... I am ok

Khaczor on
    edited June 2010
    I only like commentators when they're constantly trying to get Fukui-san's attention

Actually I guess that guy was not really a commentator. Ok really I just like Fukui-san's English voice actor. Someone get him working with day9

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    edited June 2010

Commentary isn't for high-level viewers. The purpose of that statement is to get the listener excited about the possibility of seeing Banelings, so that they get an emotional payoff when they do appear.

People don't want to perform analysis on the state of the game while they're watching a sport, they want to shut their minds off while they take in the atmosphere.

jothki on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

Man whatever. I throw down baneling nests just to make my enemy think that I may eventually get banelings.
    Some time's I'll even poop creep on his base and build it in his base, just to make sure he sees it.

I want to see you do this.

Edit: @jothki - Not everyone wants their sports caster to be John Madden.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TotalBiscuit gives commentary for the uninitiated and his commentaries don't blow massive donkey dick.

What on
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Commentary isn't for high-level viewers. The purpose of that statement is to get the listener excited about the possibility of seeing Banelings, so that they get an emotional payoff when they do appear.

People don't want to perform analysis on the state of the game while they're watching a sport, they want to shut their minds off while they take in the atmosphere.

Couldn't agree more, there seems to be a lot of people who mistake commentating with analysis. Or think that to be good at one, you need to be good at the other. There is overlap, but some of the best commentators are not good analysts, and vice versa

edit: @Isoldae: not everyone doesn't, I like John Madden

edit 2: note: don't defend Husky or HD in this thread for there free service of commentating a video game; SC2 is not just fun and games, it's serious business and nitpicks and criticisms made by players in non-live environments on live commentaries make the world a better place

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
    edited June 2010
    It's not an issue with analysis, it's an issue with a commentator trying to do analysis and saying very incorrect things.

FuriousJodo on
  • HIGH NOONHIGH NOON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So yeah hey, when's beta phase two coming out? Has a date been set? Or was that just an elaborate hoax?

HIGH NOON on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sometime between Soon and Soonish.

Mvrck on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    dudes I am so super hyped I upgraded the spreadsheet a little at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aj5frpmpgU-5dFhyUWpKMDluSTRkWUxDb2ZlUFB0NGc&hl=en#gid=0

at some point I'll add in dps columns for damage bonus mods but yawwn

not that any of the stuff I added matters because armor and upgrades change shit

kaleedity on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think we can all agree that I am the best commentator

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Trus is the best commentator. Unless there are dates involved.

Xeddicus on
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Trus is the best commentator. Unless there are dates involved.

Or a date that is known as the day three days before Independence Day :P

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hopefully there will be much awesome commentary with the Arcadia league.

Mvrck on