As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Problems with the new site?

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
Let me know here. Gripes about the design should go in this thread. I am the code monkey, not the design monkey, and while I will proxy your requests over, it is really not my place to make those changes independetly. That said, if you notice something looking wrong let me know. Issues I am aware of :
  • Opera displays the top nav incorrectly. - Fixed
  • IE sometimes displays things wrong - Only happens on windows boxes with direct x turned off.
  • RSS has some issues - Fixed (Gabe still needs to use ")
  • IE 5 Mac doesn't look right at all - I have to make a template just for IE 5 Mac as it doesn't support a lot of features.
  • Server forces page reloads - trying to reproduce
  • Bullet points are broken. - Going to hand iterate through all news posts soon.
  • The "next" and previous buttton get kinda buggy a long time ago. - Fixed, though please post if you find broken dates.

A note : Gabe and Tycho use some really old and invalid HTML syntax, and they aren't too consistent about it. I understand it is broken at places, but really, I'm only one man and there are hundreds of news posts.

Thanks guys. Sorry if I've been a bit grouchy, I'm running a bit low on sleep and a bit high on bug reports. If for nothing else, enjoy the speed of the new site, it really cooks.
-Alpha

Älphämönkëy on

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    well, that automatic reloading error is bugging me quite a bit

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    It could of just been a freak accident but when I first hit the new frontpage; (Firefox 1.5) it asked me if I wanted to download index.php while it loaded the page.

Krikee on
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    The first time I viewed the site in Firefox 1.0.7 it loaded the page but asked me if I wanted to save some index.something or view it. You know, the normal download popup window you get when trying to save a file. I just hit cancel.

[edit] What he said ^

Also, the site looks like this in Internet Explorer 6.0.2600 for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/IEcrap.gif

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited November 2005
    Navigation of old comics is messed up. Sometimes hitting next will skip one or two comics, I'm getting quite a few RAILS ERRORS or whatever those are, and occasionally clicking Next will go the the same comic you are looking at, causing an INFINITE LOOP IN THE TIMESTREAM

Knob on
  • IronstorMIronstorM Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Looks good so far and with a few tweaks it could look great I'm sure but my question is will there be a new forum template to match as well? :)

IronstorM on
    smoke2.gif
    "Ive seen better days..."
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Knob wrote:
    Navigation of old comics is messed up. Sometimes hitting next will skip one or two comics, I'm getting quite a few RAILS ERRORS or whatever those are, and occasionally clicking Next will go the the same comic you are looking at, causing an INFINITE LOOP IN THE TIMESTREAM
    TIME PARADOX
    Any examples. This is a good bug to fix.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    It seems to me that the Opera and IE problems are the result of trying to be clever with PNG transparancy and hacks. JPGs and GIFs would work perfectly, and it would be less of a hack job.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Knob wrote:

Same here. Wasn't there also a two-part comic with one half as the "alt" version? I can't remember which one, but it was a ransom letter if I remember right. How does that work now?
    TIME PARADOX
    Any examples. This is a good bug to fix.

I got hung up at around 5/25/99.

Edit: Yes, 5/25/99 did it.

Elendil on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited November 2005
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/08/01

Hitting Next should take you to A Horde of Pewter Treasures

But it actually goes to The Nemesis. Hitting back on The Nemesis takes you to Horde, like it should

It seems like many, if not all comics are doing this. They seem to skip exactly one comic.

I haven't been able to find one that loops again quite yet,

Knob on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    The RSS feed live-bookmark dealy is pretty fucked up right now too.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2005
    Define fucked up

Älphämönkëy on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Define fucked up

Well, it points to a number of rather old newsposts and comics, and when I click one of them, I get redirected to nowhere.

EDIT: Oh, wait. I see whats happening. It displays the newest post/comic at the bottom of the list now instead of the top. It still doesn't redirect me to anywhere though. (using firefox)

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2005
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    It seems to me that the Opera and IE problems are the result of trying to be clever with PNG transparancy and hacks. JPGs and GIFs would work perfectly, and it would be less of a hack job.
    Ideally, I'd like to use alpha transparency.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Define fucked up

Well, it points to a number of rather old newsposts and comics, and when I click one of them, I get redirected to nowhere.

EDIT: Oh, wait. I see whats happening. It displays the newest post/comic at the bottom of the list now instead of the top. It still doesn't redirect me to anywhere though. (using firefox)
    Let me look into it.

Älphämönkëy on
  • YF 19 AVFYF 19 AVF regular
    edited November 2005
    Are we getting search back soon?

YF 19 AVF on
    500sig.jpg
    edited November 2005
    YF 19 AVF wrote:
    Are we getting search back soon?
    Yeah. I just had to move a bunch of stress of the mysql.

Älphämönkëy on
  • AntilonAntilon Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Nexus Zero wrote:

I can't agree with this enough. It's just... why put so much work into making PNGs work when gifs or jpegs will do just fine in this case? I love PNGs (< see avatar), but they're a pain in the ass to make work on all browsers.

ALSO! I just did a random search and found the front page F's up when they use bullets... By The Letter L 05/27/2002

Antilon on
    edited November 2005
    Yeah I know. I have to hand edit all old news posts as they don't put their lists in <ul>s

Älphämönkëy on
  • ViendinViendin Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/05/24

"Nothing to See Here"

Next comic takes you to.. the exact same thing, even the same URL.

Interestingly enough, the next date, as referenced earlier, http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/05/25 is the same comic. Past that you get redirects to 28, which redirects to 31, which redirects to 06/02, which redirects to 04, to 07, and finally to the comic at http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/06/07 "Inspired by the movie", and then comics seem to work again for a bit.

Also to note: none of those redirects are automatic, they're all manual.

Viendin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://wammmr.ath.cx
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2005
    Thanks for fixing the error in Opera, and alpha-transparancy will be fixed in I.E. 7 so you have to wait until then. :roll:

Unknown User on
    edited November 2005
    poko wrote:
    Thanks for fixing the error in Opera, and alpha-transparancy will be fixed in I.E. 7 so you have to wait until then. :roll:
    No problem. Yeah, IE 7 is nice, I have a copy through MSDN, and it is a fairly nice browser. I still prefer Firefox though :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    poko wrote:
    No problem. Yeah, IE 7 is nice, I have a copy through MSDN, and it is a fairly nice browser. I still prefer Firefox though :wink:
    Firefox is a fairly nice browser, I still prefer Opera though. :wink: Anyway, the point is IE7 will fully support alpha transparency and the internet will be a more beautiful place. Now, if everyone would pass the Acid 2 test, I'd be a happy girl. Is it foolish to dream of web browsers that implement everything the same way?

Unknown User on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    poko wrote:
    poko wrote:
    Firefox is a fairly nice browser, I still prefer Opera though. :wink: Anyway, the point is IE7 will fully support alpha transparency and the internet will be a more beautiful place. Now, if everyone would pass the Acid 2 test, I'd be a happy girl. Is it foolish to dream of web browsers that implement everything the same way?
    So you're using Opera 8.5 and don't get random reloads on the forum pages?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited November 2005
    poko wrote:
    poko wrote:
    To each his (or her) own. :wink: Yeah, my point was in IE 7 transparent PNGs work without having to use the DXImageTransform. Though it might be foolish to dream of all browsers passing acid 2, it is good to be optimistic.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    poko wrote:
    poko wrote:
    So you're using Opera 8.5 and don't get random reloads on the forum pages?
    No I got that. It loads, and then reloads right away. After that it acts normal on that page.

Unknown User on
    edited November 2005
    hm, I was using firefox now since that reloading was pretty annoying, and it seems FF forgets the cookies somehow.

Anyone got a similar problem, or is it on my side?
    (And I'm not doing something silly like using http://penny-arcade , either ;) )

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited November 2005
    It works for me, but that means little.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Now I get "416 - Requested Range Not Satisfiable" with FF..
    Edit: Error's gone

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Pifman wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:

I can't agree with this enough. It's just... why put so much work into making PNGs work when gifs or jpegs will do just fine in this case? I love PNGs (< see avatar), but they're a pain in the ass to make work on all browsers.

ALSO! I just did a random search and found the front page F's up when they use bullets... By The Letter L 05/27/2002
    PNG is much more preferable for a graphical interface. It is a lossless image format (BMP based I believe) that does a hell of a job compressing. Lass thing anyone wants is artifacts in the graphics and on a website of this popularity a hundred kilobytes saved on 1 load adds up awfully quick.

EDIT: To give you an idea, my sig is 3.3kB and to make it a gif or jpg of similar quality it was 50+ kB.

Krikee on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2005
    Is it possible to keep supporting the old links?

Like links to specific comics ( http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-04-14&res=l )

or links to specific newsposts ( http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-04-14 )

Ramius on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    Is it possible to keep supporting the old links?

Like links to specific comics ( http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-04-14&res=l )

or links to specific newsposts ( http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-04-14 )
    Yeah. I'll tack that on.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Check out the bottom result on this search:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/search?keyword=blizzard

Ramius on
    edited November 2005
    I think I mentioned this once somewhere before, but in case it got lost along the way...

The "Rollover for trailer" flash ads on the comic page load the trailer inside the iframe that the ad is in. Which means you can hear it but you cannot see it.

Ramius on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:

We are still repopulating the keywords table, meaning there is an active program reimporting everything...

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    I think I mentioned this once somewhere before, but in case it got lost along the way...

The "Rollover for trailer" flash ads on the comic page load the trailer inside the iframe that the ad is in. Which means you can hear it but you cannot see it.
    Oh. That is no good. No good indeed.

Älphämönkëy on
  • seanocseanoc Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:

There are 9 posts in the database that have zero length subjects, this is one of them. I'll dork out a fix for the search results if the title has zero length.

seanoc on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:

We are still repopulating the keywords table, meaning there is an active program reimporting everything...

Actually, if you go there: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2002/02/14

The newspost is missing its title. As well as the newsposts for the next and previous days. I don't know what's up with that.

Ramius on
  • ChuffyChuffy Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Chuffy on
    youthsig.jpg
    Why do you always pursue revolutionary reactions!?
  • Lews_TherinLews_Therin Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Could you put the first; back; next;...etc buttons in their own spans, like the buttons on top? I'm trying to make a theme, but can't move those buttons down farther in their box.

Lews_Therin on
    edited November 2005
    Every page should have a unique title instead of being all the same. I would suggest including the date as well as the title of the fist post on that day. I think the newspost is usually named the same as the comic, so you might want to throw the word comic or somesuch into the title for the comic page.

Because search engines value the page title very heavily, and because the newspost / comic titles are not typically very descriptive, you might get more milage out of a title like:
    "Penny Arcade - 2005/11/14 Newspost - News, reviews, comics and commentary on video games and the gaming industry"

Ramius on