As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World in Conflict [this game is pretty great]

tofutofu Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
34ocyn9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37fg0cU63k

This is a real time tactical game developed by the fine folks at Massive (which is sadly gone now).

I'm not going to copy and paste the wikipedia article about the game, but you can read it here!

Here are a couple "how to play" videos from the developers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB32U4xjadU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJ6toyqU34

Best of all, the game and it's expansion (Soviet Assault) can be purchased on sale via Steam right now for the low price of $13.39

There's also a demo on Steam too so you can try it out!
2qamesk.jpg

tofu on

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have mixed feelings about this game. It has good graphics, but the gameplay is rather boring compared to Company of Heroes. Nonetheless, I can't think of any other decent RTS game set in a Cold War scenario, so I'm waiting for an increased discount price for this title on STEAM.

Prisca on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think is one of the most underrated games ever the multiplayer component is so awesome when you get a decent team on team game. Not sure why you're comparing it to Company of Heroes when they're two totally different games.

And yeah, single player alone is worth that price

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes. Yes it is. We should play this game.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Enjoyed the demo enough for this to be on my watch list, plan to snatch it up right away if it goes gets a daily sale, otherwise I'll join ya'll on the 4th for sure as long as I don't get witcher'd

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have this game but have not really played it much.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have this game, but the community is absolutely horrible. I think DOTA has a better community.

Shens on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I liked the singleplayer mainly for the fact that it humanised not just the characters, but both the sides of the conflict (especially with Soviet Assault).

Also, whilst the idea of a Soviet assault on the US mainland is still ridiculous, the idea was about a hundred times more credible in how it was implemented here, compared to... whatever it was they thought they were doing in MW2.

subedii on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The community IS terrible which is why we should get some PA games going

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game. This game taunted me for so long. I finally got my hands on the vanilla/Soviet copy a number of months ago. God damned fantastic.

The single player alone was just supremely fun. The writing was good, I enjoyed the few characters there were, and I actually felt invested in my units, because of the limits. I wanted to keep everything alive and functioning.

The set pieces were also unbelievable. The Seattle and New York areas in particular were really well done, and I loved the endless war in the background of them. Just great ambiance.

I've only played a handful of LAN games with my buddy, all against the AI, but we always had fun. We'd intentionally drag out matches just to do whatever we wanted. At one point we decided we wanted to nuke that French hilltop Church from the campaign. So, we go offensive, and wrack up the points with artillery (we had a thing for shelling buildings and area and just leaving it to play out) while AI allies stormed the city.

To say the least, watching that thing go up in flames was good times. We used our LAN matches to find new ways to use bombardments and artillery.

If you haven't yet done so, I recommend taking a bunker buster to anything you can think of.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Prisca wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about this game. It has good graphics, but the gameplay is rather boring compared to Company of Heroes. Nonetheless, I can't think of any other decent RTS game set in a Cold War scenario, so I'm waiting for an increased discount price for this title on STEAM.

Apples and oranges, the games aren't really comparable.

tofu on
    edited June 2010
    The community IS terrible which is why we should get some PA games going

Someone who knows how to create a Steam group should make one!

tofu on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    I have this game, but the community is absolutely horrible. I think DOTA has a better community.

DotA has a better community? Holy smokes.

Wasn't sure that was possible.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

That pretty much makes this an automatic pass for me.

dasnoob on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be fair, it might be even.

Shens on
    edited June 2010
    dasnoob wrote: »

That pretty much makes this an automatic pass for me.

The singleplayer campaign is also really good.

tofu on
    edited June 2010
    Klash wrote: »

If you haven't yet done so, I recommend taking a bunker buster to anything you can think of.

Psht. F-A-B or nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-XsIZpl8ck

And since we're on the topic of pretty pyrotechnics:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/destruction-blues-world-in/23603

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/destruction-blues-world-in/46207

subedii on
  • chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    World in Seattle Map. AMIRITE?

Seriously, that seems to be the only map people play online.

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game had one of the best trailers ever (and I don't even like the Audioslave song that much), it was the first thing that convinced me to look into the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srb4_7F3lAc

Zenitram on
  • LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it wrong of me to be going for the Soviets, since the Americans in the game seem to be utter tools in comparison? OK, aside from the Colonel, he's pretty awesome.

Leinna on
    edited June 2010
    The great thing about that trailer is that's what the game really plays like. Endless flares and smokescreens, missiles left and right, a delightful clusterfuck of cluster bombs.
    subedii wrote: »
    Psht. F-A-B or nothing:

The FAB is so... imprecise. The bunker buster lets you watch things crumble.

Now I need to load up WiC and devastate some European country side.

Klash on
    edited June 2010
    Leinna wrote: »
    Is it wrong of me to be going for the Soviets, since the Americans in the game seem to be utter tools in comparison? OK, aside from the Colonel, he's pretty awesome.

Actually I hated the Colonel the most. Everyone else I was largely OK with. Didn't like Bannon at first, but once you get further in the game and get his backstory, I didn't hate him as much.

But yeah, they did a good job of humanising the Soviet side of the conflict, like Major Valeriy Lebedjev (the KGB guy) and Colonel Orlovsky.

subedii on
  • LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OK, I guess I didn't play far enough to stop disliking Bannon. The Colonel seems competent at least :-S

I suppose your Soviet co-commander (whoever he was, the one who wants to charge the Americans all the time and then gets himself in trouble and cries to his uncle Orlovsky) was also a pain ...

Leinna on
    edited June 2010
    Leinna wrote: »
    OK, I guess I didn't play far enough to stop disliking Bannon. The Colonel seems competent at least :-S

I suppose your Soviet co-commander (whoever he was, the one who wants to charge the Americans all the time and then gets himself in trouble and cries to his uncle Orlovsky) was also a pain ...

Yeah my dislike for Sawyer primarily comes from the late stages of the game, and in the last level the plot sort of brushes that aside.

subedii on
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I bought this last year during a sale at D2D, but I haven't really played it.

My game ADD and backlog keep getting in the way.

simulacrum on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think is one of the most underrated games ever the multiplayer component is so awesome when you get a decent team on team game. Not sure why you're comparing it to Company of Heroes when they're two totally different games.

Not sure how it'd be underrated. It was the RTS game, and people sang its praises long and far.

It is an excellent game, and a gorgeous one at that, though. Not like it wasn't earned. But underrated? Hardly.

The Soviet commanders are Romanov (who is the USSR's version of Parker, for all intents and purposes) and Malashenko (who barks out the player constantly, and doesn't really go "crying to his uncle", but instead just barks at him too.) Malashenko also
    snaps after he learns that his wife and baby were killed by the NATO raid that Parker does earlier, and then kills Orlovsky for wanting to withdraw.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

Not sure how it'd be underrated. It was the RTS game, and people sang its praises long and far.

It is an excellent game, and a gorgeous one at that, though. Not like it wasn't earned. But underrated? Hardly.

The Soviet commanders are Romanov (who is the USSR's version of Parker, for all intents and purposes) and Malashenko (who barks out the player constantly, and doesn't really go "crying to his uncle", but instead just barks at him too.) Malashenko also
    snaps after he learns that his wife and baby were killed by the NATO raid that Parker does earlier, and then kills Orlovsky for wanting to withdraw.

Yeah I never really connected the dots until later on, but it may have been the case that:
    It was Bannon who accidentally killed Malashenko's family

And Lebedjev, who was probably my favourite of the bunch, if only for the aside where he's writing back home. But in general he seemed more level headed and understanding of the situations they were in. Which is also why
    He was the only one of the three to make it back out of the US, and taking the troops under his command with him.

subedii on
    edited June 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah I never really connected the dots until later on, but it may have been the case that:
    It was Bannon who accidentally killed Malashenko's family

And Lebedjev, who was probably my favourite of the bunch, if only for the aside where he's writing back home. But in general he seemed more level headed and understanding of the situations they were in. Which is also why
    He was the only one of the three to make it back out of the US, and taking the troops under his command with him.

That's the implication, anyway. Malenshenko, who is rather high strung to start with (though given that he's a soldier in wartime, if anything he's probably overly relaxed) actually handles it pretty well...
    ...until you realize he's just swallowing up all his hate and misery and loss until he snaps and kills Orlovsky in a fit of rage. It's hard to say if it was Bannon though, since Bannon by his own admission slaughtered surrendering civil defense/police forces during his raid because they were approaching his tank and still in uniform. I don't recall if he found any mothers or babies among the corpses. Might have been in the power station you blow up.

Lebedjev is actually a pretty good character, simply because the stereotype of the evil KGB officer (as opposed to....the valiant CIA officer?) is how they set him up, until you realize he's a fairly apathetic, level-headed fellow.
    There's nothing to suggest Romanov didn't make it out either, though. I would assume he did, since Lebedjev contact him directly to withdraw, didn't he? Lebedjev also didn't have a command, he was a field intelligence and security officer, so the men he took were almost certainly Romanov's.

I mean, I'm probably over-analyzing it. When you get right down to it, the whole idea of a Soviet invasion of the United States is incredibly absurd (especially considering only the reverse happened--the US joined other countries in invading the USSR--technically the Russian SFSR--at the end of the first World War). It makes for a fantastic game though, and the characters are portrayed way better than you get in most RTS.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    I hated Malashenko. He was so blinded by his furor and need for vengeance. Even before that, though, his behavior and tactics were as absolute and horrid as you'd expect from a villainous USSR officer. Orlovsky and Lebedjev were definitely good characters, and I enjoyed the interplay between them. Both of them balancing their stations and their personal beliefs, disillusion with the efforts and the Party.

I was so used to games having separate campaigns that I thought my copy was some how broken, because of the interchanging campaign. I thought, somehow, it had become stuck on the Soviet campaign.

I really hate Bannon, too. Until the end, he was an absolutely horrible piece of nationalism and glory. He reminded me of "Captain America" from Generation Kill. His last scene was a great one, though.

Of course, none of this stopped me from leveling every building I saw in both campaigns. To hell with the Party, screw the States, I have nuclear bombs! Yeeehhhhawww!

Klash on
    edited June 2010
    Well, the invasion depicted in the game makes a lot more sense than most "red dawn" scenarios.

Sneak attack on a west coast city to establish a beachhead and then bring the Chinese in for reserves.

One of the things I really liked were the soviet propaganda interludes where they claim to have invaded half the US but in reality have only taken Seattle.

tofu on
    edited June 2010
    Eeeh....I don't know how easily you could sneak an invasion army in cargo freighters right up to the western seaboard of the United States. Unless the Soviets really just sent about 20 tanks and a few hundred guys, and took an entire city with just that.

Of course, that's nothing. The whole premise of the war is hilariously stupid. The Soviet Union is on the "verge of bankruptcy", so they decide to invade Europe, and then the US, in retaliation for a lack of foreign aid. It's literally bullshit upon bullshit, as though there was a giant bag of cash in West Berlin that would solve everything. Equally bullshit is the idea that the US, with the world's biggest navy, wouldn't respond (apparently, there's some "Pacific ocean disaster" McGuffin).

But it's not the game's fault, at least not entirely. If you want some sort of imaginary scenario where the USSR (or the CIS--hint hint Infinty Ward) actually wants to deploy armies in the continental US, and manages to as a surprise, you're basically going to have to bend over backwards and accept the bullshit. Especially if you know anything about history, or for that matter, geography and reality. The reverse is slightly more plausible, given the giant navy the US has, and the long history it has in amphibious invasions of countries, but it's still pretty darn implausible (and wouldn't sell well I guess).

But WiC is awesome nonetheless. The sense of scope and scale is phenomenal, the visuals are excellent, and it has probably the best nuclear device deployable in a RTS game. The audio is excellent as well. My complaints are purely in the area of "generic game stupidity".

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    Given the huge scale of the game, the fact that all of those are done in-game is another testament to the game's excellence.

Company of Heroes (which is a very different, but also awesome, RTS) does the same thing, but is at a far smaller scale.

Synthesis on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't recall any pacific ocean disaster, but during the
    European flashback missions, there is mention of the 7th(?) fleet getting destroyed in the Mediterranean by the Soviets. Maybe a majority of the pacific naval forces were shifted to cover the losses?

I've heard dirty rumors that the Steam version cannot play multiplayer with the retail disc versions, is that true? I love WiC, but I'm not eager to buy it a 3rd time.

Arrath on
    edited June 2010
    Just checking right now, at 1 AM PST, there are 5 full 16 player servers and 1 with 12.

tofu on
  • blindiblindi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »
    This game had one of the best trailers ever (and I don't even like the Audioslave song that much), it was the first thing that convinced me to look into the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srb4_7F3lAc

Community made remake of the trailer using the Modern Warfare Mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKHbbSF4n8&fmt=22

I'd embed it but for some reason I fail to do it on every forum I try doing it.

And in regards to the community, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Just don't join Spaceneedle only servers because that is usually the place where people point whore and they don't take kindly to newer players messing up their win streaks. Unless you're the person who loves to inspire some nerdrage you should stay clear of Spaceneedle only servers.
    If you ask nicely for help on the official forums you will usually get positive replies and offers of help.

blindi on
    edited June 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    I don't recall any pacific ocean disaster, but during the
    European flashback missions, there is mention of the 7th(?) fleet getting destroyed in the Mediterranean by the Soviets. Maybe a majority of the pacific naval forces were shifted to cover the losses?

Sounds like an appropriately bullshit reason. Don't let it detract from the game, of course.

Synthesis on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yay the demo ran pretty well on my laptop (all be it on the lowest graphics setting) so its downloading to my harddrive now.

101 on
    edited June 2010
    It's a demanding game. Not surprising, given it's gorgeous.

Synthesis on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah its a shame I don't have access to the lovely graphics; guess the gameplay will just have to make up for it.

101 on
    edited June 2010
    I actually prefer the depth of CoH's gameplay (and the huge number of mods, some of them literally rebuilding the game), over WiC's think-quick twitch gameplay. But that's just me--WiC is actually very original in its gameplay.

Synthesis on