As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Handheld Gamers: How old are you?

2»

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure if I upgraded my DS (I have an original fat model), I would use it more often, but I can't justify an upgrade now with the 3DS just around the corner.

As far as not using it more, do you think it's like an aesthetic thing, or like you can't stand knowing you're using an old clunker when something better is available?

Visuals. Especially after picking up a new PSP Go, going back to my DS's small, scratched (from many Ouendan/EBA sessions), and poorly backlit screen is less than appealing.

RainbowDespair on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kind of creepy how most everybody here is 24-26. I mean, me too. How does that work out?

Type of forum I would assume.

26 here. I mostly play indoors when bored or when on a trip. DS and PSP. I've occasionally seen people who seem distinctly older with a DS (granted its usually with something like Brain Games or cooking..).

Egos on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 29 and I have a DS and iPhone. Since, like many others here, I'm usually the one driving, I seldom have opportunity to game in a "portable" setting.

I find I do very little of what I think of as "traditional" gaming on the iPhone, as few of them are properly playable (in my opinion) on a touch interface. When they are (Angry Birds is my latest addiction), then I'll happily put my time and money into them. I find that my gaming on the iPhone is mostly in the restroom and in bed. Any other time I want to game, I typically pick up a controller or mouse. I do find myself picking it up for the odd 5 minutes here or there if I'm in a waiting room or something like that, which doesn't happen with the DS, since it isn't always with me.

The DS I typically have played just like any other console. I haven't viewed it as a portable device so much as a way to play Mario and Castlevania games in 2D and Phoenix Wright games. The only times when I appreciate the portability is when I'm travelling internationally, in which case I have a DS, iPhone, Sony Reader and anything else I can think of to keep me distracted from the steel tube I'm riding in, 30K feet over the middle of the ocean. So, I guess the DS is a "console" the same as any other, where I have purchased it to play specific games only available on that platform. The fact that it is portable does mean it comes along on trips, but I haven't found myself playing it often lately, since I just haven't had a game I felt like playing on it.

The iPhone, surprisingly to me, has ended up being a go-to for the "just kill some time" style portable gaming. It just lacks buttons, so I don't think I'll ever view it as anything but a niche platform unless lots of other devs figure out the Angry Birds secret (i.e. make something for the iPhone, don't just wedge something into it -- hey, this is the same thing devs need to learn with the Wii!).

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 28 and I own both a DS and PSP. As to how much I use them...

I keep my DS in my messenger bag whenever I go anywhere (like, to work), just in case I feel like breaking it out during a bit of downtime. I only play my PSP when I feel like playing something PSP-specific, so it doesn't see a lot of travel. Right now the PSP is next to my bed for Peace Walker-ing before I go to sleep.

Games aside, I think I like the DS hardware more. Prolonged sessions with it don't make my hand ache like the analog nub does.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    28, DS and PSP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 26, I love my DS and I play the occasional PSP game.

Though, as others have noted, I don't play on the go. There are great games for handhelds, I'd hate to miss out.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love my DS to death (27) and my eight year-old sister loves hers too.

I keep meaning to get a PSP, but I have my hands full between the DS and PC.

edit: I'll probably get a 3DS.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 31, the wife is 25. I own a DS Lite, she has a DSi. She owns around 85 games for her DS, I own about 30. We also own a PSP with 15 games, and we both have iPhones that we loved gaming on but no longer use AT&T, so those get minimal use. I wish developers would get off their asses and make some great Android games, but ah well.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...did you really just cite Sony's dumbass "don't play kiddie games" kiddie as evidence that adults are allowed to own handhelds? Really?

People our age have had handhelds since the days of the Gameboy. No shame in it.

Not that we aren't allowed to own handhelds, but that we've got 30-40 hour AAA franchise titles appearing now (MGS: PW, any of the GTA titles, FF Tactics). These types of titles are much more comparable to a console experience than a traditional handheld experience.

That response sounds remarkably like a press release. Hmmm.

Hmmmm. Previous post history indicates recommending someone purchase a PSP Go. Very hmmmmm indeed.

And this thread in the whining forum of all things, talking about a Marcus PSP ad. With no actual whining, just asking if it's the kid from Role Models in the ad.

I don't know why you guys are so suspicious. He just wants to know some innocuous demographic information, and whether you use the finest piece of handheld technology ever invented, with a library of over 500 fantastic games, and starting at $199.99 at a retailer near you.

PolloDiablo on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I'm waay older than everyone here, I have a DS and an iphone. LewieP's daddy is even older than me and he has a DS. Granted, he just plays rubbish brain training and crosswords stuff on his, I play all sorts of games on mine. I only play little games on my iphone. I play my Ds when I'm on the train, flying, or on holiday. I play Peggle when I'm tired, hate Phoenix Wright with a vengeance, love Prof. Layton and other puzzle games.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    25 and ONLY use the DS if I am travelling, which is getting more and more rare the poorer I get. I cant fathom why I would want to sit there and stare at a 3 inch screen for too long if I've got my 50" TV sitting right there.

urahonky on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    33 here. I have an iPhone 4 and a DSiXL. They definitely both get used on trips. On the bus to university though, I tend to read or do French flash cards on the iPhone. I rarely game on the iPhone at home, but the DSiXL definitely sees some use.

Esh on
  • MutePrezMutePrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 21, stopped playing a portable systems in high school, but mostly because I was satisfied with pc/console games. Didn't feel like I needed to get an sp, which turned into not feeling like i needed to get a ds when that came out.

I AM planning on getting the 3DS though, mostly because I've toyed with the idea of getting a ds for awhile an d this has finally convinced me. Anyone have any suggestions for ds games to play that I've missed out on? I mostly like rpg and rts games, puzzles are fun too.

MutePrez on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MutePrez wrote: »
    I'm 21, stopped playing a portable systems in high school, but mostly because I was satisfied with pc/console games. Didn't feel like I needed to get an sp, which turned into not feeling like i needed to get a ds when that came out.

I AM planning on getting the 3DS though, mostly because I've toyed with the idea of getting a ds for awhile an d this has finally convinced me. Anyone have any suggestions for ds games to play that I've missed out on? I mostly like rpg and rts games, puzzles are fun too.

Etrian Odyssey 1 & 2 and soon 3
    Dragon Quest 4,5 and soon 9
    The World Ends With You
    Professor Layton (both)
    4 Warriors Of Light (in the Fall)

Esh on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    ...did you really just cite Sony's dumbass "don't play kiddie games" kiddie as evidence that adults are allowed to own handhelds? Really?

People our age have had handhelds since the days of the Gameboy. No shame in it.

Not that we aren't allowed to own handhelds, but that we've got 30-40 hour AAA franchise titles appearing now (MGS: PW, any of the GTA titles, FF Tactics). These types of titles are much more comparable to a console experience than a traditional handheld experience.

That response sounds remarkably like a press release. Hmmm.

Hmmmm. Previous post history indicates recommending someone purchase a PSP Go. Very hmmmmm indeed.

And this thread in the whining forum of all things, talking about a Marcus PSP ad. With no actual whining, just asking if it's the kid from Role Models in the ad.

I don't know why you guys are so suspicious. He just wants to know some innocuous demographic information, and whether you use the finest piece of handheld technology ever invented, with a library of over 500 fantastic games, and starting at $199.99 at a retailer near you.

I'll give him my e-mail address if he just admits it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    32, have an iPhone 3gs, a basic DS, and and a first gen USA PSP.

Of them, I only use the iPhone and rarely game when I'm out and about. If I commuted with public transportation, it would probably be a different story.

The DS and PSP have not seen use in a solid 2 years or so.

desc on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    21 and still rockin' my DS Phat. Now that the 3DS is on the way I'm pretty glad I didn't upgrade, but I've gotten a lot of mileage from great DS games. I do miss the old brick Gameboy though. I even had the Camera attachement thing which was mindblowing back before digital cameras were the norm.

BlueDestiny on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 24, and I currently own two PSPs.

I bought a 1k shortly after launch, ended up having to sell it to make rent, bought a 2K shortly after its launch, ended up having to sell it to make rent, then bought a 3K last year. I bought a used 2K for $40 last week. I don't really know why I bought a 2000 even though I own a 3000, but for $40 I can flip it on Craigslist for $80 and make a few bucks.

Thinking back, I have spent $660 over the past half decade on PSP systems alone (of that, $620 has actually been new hardware), plus memory sticks, headsets, cases, and a ton of games (I currently have 26 PSN games {some of which I have purchased DLC for} as well as 20 UMD games).

So, myownsummer, who sounds suspiciously like a planted plant from plantville, since I am obviously the hardcore brand loyal consumer who spends obscene amounts of money on Sony products, I think I deserve a PS3 gratis of SCEA.

(Or at least a PSN code or something. Come on, I want to get Modnation Racers)

SmokeStacks on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    26 years old and I play portable systems more than anything else. Got DS, PSP and Android OS. I only play at home. I was thinking I enjoy portable more because I like to lay down and play before bed, but it might be more that portables are where the RPGs land. Currently working on Shin Megami 4 and Fire Emblem and loving it. With the GBA/DS I've got access to a lot of the classic games, too.

If they ever made an online store I could use to surf a huge amount of retro games, I'd be stoked.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • OpiateOpiate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 26, and I can see why someone might feel that handhelds were for children. For a long time, almost all games released for handheld systems were of a childish or (at best) young teen persuasion.

However, with the release of Sony Playstation Portable in 2005, handheld games finally began to grow up. Deep, mature games began to release for handhelds, including Sony's Gran Turismo, Rockstar's epic Grand Theft Auto Series, the recently released Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, as well as Sony's own God of War series. These types of adult experiences have gotten me to shut off my Blu Ray player, turn off my Bravia television, and really invest in handheld gaming in a way adults simply were not capable of before.

So now, I'm not afraid to be seen with my Sony PSP in public.

Opiate on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a DS and love it. With two ultra bright screens, 3D graphics capability, touch-screen technology and wireless communication, I can challenge myself or my friends anywhere, anytime. A great library featuring hundreds of games means there's something for everyone. Nintendo DS brings together a host of features to deliver cutting-edge interactive experiences for fans of every genre. With my Nintendo DSi XL, I can play with photos, sound, and a full library of games in a whole new way.

Arteen on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Opiate wrote: »
    I'm 26, and I can see why someone might feel that handhelds were for children. For a long time, almost all games released for handheld systems were of a childish or (at best) young teen persuasion.

However, with the release of Sony Playstation Portable in 2005, handheld games finally began to grow up. Deep, mature games began to release for handhelds, including Sony's Gran Turismo, Rockstar's epic Grand Theft Auto Series, the recently released Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, as well as Sony's own God of War series. These types of adult experiences have gotten me to shut off my Blu Ray player, turn off my Bravia television, and really invest in handheld gaming in a way adults simply were not capable of before.

So now, I'm not afraid to be seen with my Sony PSP in public.

I find your ideas intriguing, sir.

Tell me, do you have a newsletter or blog to which I could subscribe?

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Esh wrote:
    MutePrez wrote:

Etrian Odyssey 1 & 2 and soon 3
    Dragon Quest 4,5 and soon 9
    The World Ends With You
    Professor Layton (both)
    4 Warriors Of Light (in the Fall)

Final Fantasy IV
    Phoenix Wright
    Chrono Trigger
    Hotel Dusk
    Infinite Space
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
    Pokemon (either Platinum or SoulSilver or HeartGold)

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We have three handhelds in our house. My wife has a DS Phat and my son and I both have Lites. We're 33 and he's 5. Never really got into the psp.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 28 and I bring my DS to work, to the laundromat, wherever. People can think whatever they want; they're bored when I'm not.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    I know I'm not Batman, the World's Greatest Detective, but come on dude.

SmokeStacks on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sir, the extremely obvious plant on Gamefaqs' forums clearly has a different username.

Djiem on
    edited June 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    Sir, the extremely obvious plant on Gamefaqs' forums clearly has a different username.

You are correct sir. How dare I doubt his character.

edit: Yeah

SmokeStacks on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think we should probably stop the plant talk, I'm pretty sure people have been infracted for it before, true or not. It's kinda off topic.

I'm more concerned that the person is apparently leeching their avatar directly from Scott Pilgrim.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's because Scott Pilgrim is hip and appeals to the young adult demographic.

Djiem on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    Just catching up, but man, this was a plant from the second post.

A duck! on
This discussion has been closed.