As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cleaning a LCD Screen

mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I think the title says it all. My laptop is one year old, I have yet to clean it but I don't know the best way to do so and I don't want to damage my screen. Any advice?

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
mrcheesypants on

• KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    A damp, soft, rag. Not so damp water drips from it by the way. Wipe away your bodily fluids with gentle wipes.

KMFurDM on
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What KMFurDM said.

For best results use a cleaning rag that won't drop fibers. I found mine in the cleaning products section of Target for a few bucks. For some reason the exact name of these rags is eluding me. They are typically labeled as not dropping fibers or threads, though, and nice to have around for computer cleaning.

EDIT: Hey, I remembered. It's called LINT FREE cloth. Use that!

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    when i had my tablet Pc it came with a 3M microfiber cloth.

Cleaned amazingly with no lint, water, or crap left behind.

Highly recommended!

Kerbob97 on
  • crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been windexing my computer screens for 20 years. LCDs included. Just don't allow drips as said. (spray onto the cloth and ensure it's soaked in).

Is it bad for the screens? Quite possibly, but so far I've never encountered anything bad.

crake on
  • TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ... please do not use windex on an LCD...

EVER!

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • EskimoAznEskimoAzn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm paranoid, so I use Monster LCD screen spray and the accompanying microfibre cloth. They work like magic!

EskimoAzn on
    "It's because I'm an Asian, isn't it???"
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    crake wrote: »
    I've been windexing my computer screens for 20 years. LCDs included. Just don't allow drips as said. (spray onto the cloth and ensure it's soaked in).

Is it bad for the screens? Quite possibly, but so far I've never encountered anything bad.

I was told that the ammonia in windex-type products eats away the anti-glare coating that most LCD screens come with. Same with eye glasses, which I used to clean with windex and a paper towel :P

Suckafish on
  • TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Windex and other similar products do just that. They eat away over time.

And for the love of god please don't use paper towels either, they can make very small scratches.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tini wrote: »
    Windex and other similar products do just that. They eat away over time.

And for the love of god please don't use paper towels either, they can make very small scratches.

Don't worry I know that using Windex and paper towels are no nos I just needed to know what to do.

So I take it a lint free cloth like the kind used for glasses with a wee bit of water will do the trick?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.