As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Standard DEF shall be the only def

atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
hey G&T

I need a quick holler from those of you who game with your XBOX 360 and/or Playstation 3 in glorious standard definition. That is, the old boob tube.

I am trying to get a picture of which of the two have better performance at the lower rez. Bonus points if you've got both and tell me about your first hand experience!

We can also make this a thread about appreciating widescreen in certain games, cuz I won't be getting any of that anytime soon!

atma on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't think performance actually changes with the resolution? It's not a PC.

EDIT: rather, I don't think either actually has modes which specifically change settings to maximize performance at a lower resolution

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have heard terrible things (not entirely all believeable) about how those two system upscale and then, being forced to downscale, make the frame rate stutter, etc.

Actually, I've played GTA4 in standard def on a PS3 for at least a couple hours. I thought the performance was miserly.

atma on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It doesn't matter. Standard def doesn't render to a smaller buffer or anything. It performs the same as high def.

They both look equally horrible too. :)

zilo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Text is hard to read in some games nowadays. Playing the RPG Dragon Age is a chore for me right now because the descriptions of items are tiny and smushed together thanks to words in italics.

I'm going to tough it out and wait for my standard-def TV to go on the fritz before upgrading to HD.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Playing Demon's Souls on a standard television felt nigh impossible. The game's dark enough!

My friend's 360 looked fine on that TV though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I only upgraded to HDTV a couple months ago. There was no change in performance other than I could finally do the missions in Dead Rising.

I still think games should have bigger text. Many games are nearly completely unreadable on SDTV, but even with a good setup I'm having a difficult time with Red Dead's narrow text or FF13's tiny symbols.

Also, I wish I could play PS2 games without them looking horrible. How do we not have a solution for this yet!?

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I play Xbox 360 games on a standard def TV, and they play fine. The graphics are fine, the frame rate is fine, I have no problems with it... Except for those damn developers who put really small text on the screen that is only readable on a hi def TV.

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    echo 78 wrote: »
    I play Xbox 360 games on a standard def TV, and they play fine. The graphics are fine, the frame rate is fine, I have no problems with it... Except for those damn developers who put really small text on the screen that is only readable on a hi def TV.

Out of curiosity, can you even buy standard definition TVs anymore?

Esh on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know about the PS3, but on the XBox 360, if the game programmers didn't add a specific SDTV mode to the game, it letterboxes and shrinks the HD image so as to preserve the aspect ratio. As a result, everything gets smaller and you have about 25% of the screen that's empty.

I know that an SDTV mode is one thing that I've been adding to our upcoming RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World since it makes a world of difference in how good something looks on an SDTV.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    echo 78 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, can you even buy standard definition TVs anymore?

That's pretty much the only reason I purchased a HDTV a few years back. If I could have gotten a reasonably-sized flat-screen SDTV, I would have.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't know about the PS3, but on the XBox 360, if the game programmers didn't add a specific SDTV mode to the game, it letterboxes and shrinks the HD image so as to preserve the aspect ratio. As a result, everything gets smaller and you have about 25% of the screen that's empty.

I know that an SDTV mode is one thing that I've been adding to our upcoming RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World since it makes a world of difference in how good something looks on an SDTV.

You've sold me on it already by title alone. :lol:

atma on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never had any performance issues on my 360 on SD, but text in many games is near fucking unreadable which is incredibly annoying.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It really pisses me off when developers don't bother to accommodate for SDTVs. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 require HDTVs, so neither should their games. Hell, if you're going to just blow off SDTV compatibility, at least put something on the game box that says "HDTV required/recommended". But of course this doesn't happen.

You'd think with all the money they made with their previous games, Bioware and Rockstar could have managed to spend some time making their latest games SDTV friendly, but instead the text in Mass Effect 2 is nigh-unreadable and in Red Dead Redemption I can't see my horse stamina bar or my ammunition count. The funny thing is, Mass Effect 1 and Grand Theft Auto 4 look perfectly fine.

/rage

Just Like That on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone's trying to jam their standard def vendetta.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    :O :O :O

It's 2010, I guarantee the most the world still owns SD.

atma on
  • Options
    ThibisThibis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seconding Mass Effect 2 as being really disappointing as far as readable text goes. I enjoyed reading all the crap from ME1, even read through all the planet descriptions a couple times at least. This is 100% impossible in ME2. The codex is a touch better after the patch, but not by much; it's still a strain on the eyes that gets old quick.

Have a handful of other games for 360 (no PS3) that I'll likely never play until I eventually go HD. Bummer.

But one day, I will know what the fuck all these little blobs on my mini-maps in every game are supposed to be.

Thibis on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This seems to be a terrible epidemic of tiny text trouble town!

eeeedddddit: Has anyone played Lost Odyssey on SD? Readable?

atma on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I originally thought this thread was going to be about RPGs and how only DEF is worth levelling up, to hell with magic DEF!

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HD TVs are super cheap nowadays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889107040

There's a 16 inch 720p LCD HDTV. For 160 bucks. Very few games do 1080p natively, so 720p is really all you need.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Isn't having an HD-TV be only 16" kind of missing the point?

Magus` on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The 360 actually has games that force you to be in 60Hz mode - Eternal Sonata is one of them. The shitty TV in my house does not support 60Hz well - it has huge overscan and the usual blurriness occur. It got so bad that I had to buy a cheap knock off VGA cable on Ebay and just plug it into my monitor to see things clearly.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i have a 27'' 720p tv. it's nothing amazing but it looks waaay better than my old huge CRT
    i also sit probably 2-3 feet from the thing so i don't need much bigger... though it'd be cool to have a 42'' someday

the main reason i wanted one was, to tell the truth, how much games with black bars annoyed me. gears and assassin's creed both run with black bars on top if you play on older TVs. it really bothered me for some reason, like i couldn't stop noticing it. plus i got this HD DVD player from a friend and a good pile of movies.
    i do plan to get a bluray player soon, i'd like a PS3 but they have $70 bluray players at walmart now and that's almost in my price range for something like that

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OP should invest in a 16:9 21-24" LCD monitor that supports hdmi/vga, it's far cheaper than buying a so called HDTV and you can use it for everything and not just xbox/ps3.

As for Lost odyssey on sdtv, I recall it was alright when I played it.

Magitek on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    atma wrote: »
    This seems to be a terrible epidemic of tiny text trouble town!

eeeedddddit: Has anyone played Lost Odyssey on SD? Readable?

I just finished it, and as long as your tv isn't too small you should be fine.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Magitek wrote: »
    OP should invest in a 16:9 21-24" LCD monitor

I would, but the tropical island I teach English on pays me only in seashells.

atma on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    atma wrote: »
    Magitek wrote: »
    OP should invest in a 16:9 21-24" LCD monitor

I would, but the tropical island I teach English on pays me only in seashells.

Well at least you can go to the bathroom.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png