As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hyku wrote: »
    I just re-subbed and am having a blast! Of course I have some friends and old guildies/a full alliance to group up with so I am avoiding the frustration of getting curb stomped in a PuG...

Class balance is a joke, most classes can excel quite easily with support. What's really hit this game is the lack of official class guides like they have in WoW for those who just want FoTM spec's and don't want to crunch numbers.

I have played a Black Orc since launch and never felt underpowered, in fact 1v1 it has to be the most powerful class in the game... Unkillable and with the debuffs just a monster pre and post the self heal nerf, dueling Order (Single or in a small grp) is a really good way to get out and understand how your spec works... Scenarios and Open RvR isn't, you are forced to rely on group balance and everybody way too much to get a feel for if you were effective or not.

Just some basics take it for what you want:
    Your Init matters, your Toughness matters, your Wounds matter and finally your main DPS stat matters. Generally your armour sets will let you cap your DPS stat, STR, Int or Wis respectively and you need to ensure you keep your Init Crit rate below 5% and toughness as close to cap as possible. If you do this as a tank you can giggle people to death and MDPS/RDPS/Healers will all finally have a few seconds to faceroll an escape if a slayer or brightwizard jumps you.

If anyone is destro on Iron Rock and needs a guild feel free to message Grrrr or Smrt for an invite, we are rank 40 so there are a cpl perks. There are a few grind groups the alliance throws up for Power leveling through 12-40, but I won't promise they'll take you.

I need seriously need to find out how you're getting your stats so high as I can only softcap wounds as a blorc and my toughness is pretty decent. That's about it. If you have any tips on how to gear/spec a 40/46 blorc, let me know. You OR Detharen. I have full conq/anni, and almost have full sent, just missing the boots. Got a crap load of the Tome jewelry, and some other decent gear, but I can't get the numbers you're reporting. bobakirafett on realmwar.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I need seriously need to find out how you're getting your stats so high as I can only softcap wounds as a blorc and my toughness is pretty decent. That's about it. If you have any tips on how to gear/spec a 40/46 blorc, let me know. You OR Detharen. I have full conq/anni, and almost have full sent, just missing the boots. Got a crap load of the Tome jewelry, and some other decent gear, but I can't get the numbers you're reporting. bobakirafett on realmwar.

4 Invader - 2 Tyrant, Tali's are Init and Toughness - You are lucky in that BO's really can use str as a dump stat, most of you're abilities have 0 str contribution and the few that do are very low. You'll see a diff of about 50-90 damage a swing/attack by not investing in Str Tali's. Run your Wounds/Toughness tactics, buff with a pot and go back to giggling things to death. If you run your stat stealing "shout" you want to aim about 100 less than cap because about 10 seconds into a fight you are buffed back up.

With a 4-2 setup of Conq/Sent you should be able to get the major stats pretty damn close to what you want, everything over that just gives you extra stats to dump into strength/weaponskill/melee crit.

Hyku on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

4 Invader - 2 Tyrant, Tali's are Init and Toughness - You are lucky in that BO's really can use str as a dump stat, most of you're abilities have 0 str contribution and the few that do are very low. You'll see a diff of about 50-90 damage a swing/attack by not investing in Str Tali's. Run your Wounds/Toughness tactics, buff with a pot and go back to giggling things to death. If you run your stat stealing "shout" you want to aim about 100 less than cap because about 10 seconds into a fight you are buffed back up.

With a 4-2 setup of Conq/Sent you should be able to get the major stats pretty damn close to what you want, everything over that just gives you extra stats to dump into strength/weaponskill/melee crit.

This isnt the original Grrrr / Smrt is it?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited June 2010

Oh yes, yes it is from Red Eye Mountain :P

Hyku on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Depends on what you want to do. For survivability 4 piece invader, sent helm, and one other sent piece of your choice. Get the +90 melee power cloak from LoTD. It will likely be the last cloak you wear until you can wear the sov cloak. Definitely work on getting into VL and getting the glyphs from their.

Also i would not sweat wounds to much. Running 160 wounds usually gets your at least 8k. Toughness really needs a ton to shine. Interesting thing to note the 160 toughness morale 2 stacks with everything. Run that and blow it whenever it is up. Factor in the added toughness from da biggest and your groups/self survivability just shot up.

I would definitely focus on getting some invader, it is really the best set to keep around for mixing and matching, and will last you well into sov.

Detharin on
    edited June 2010

Haha, crazy! I noticed they shut down the Adrenaline Asylum forums and whatnot. What guild are you in now? (this is Adam, Dan's friend).

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010

Haha, crazy! I noticed they shut down the Adrenaline Asylum forums and whatnot. What guild are you in now? (this is Adam, Dan's friend).

Yah, those hosers are all playing WoW... Draken Rising, so still in the RavenHost alliance, Shawn is desperate to get part of the old group together for fun.

You playing?

Hyku on
    edited June 2010

Yah, those hosers are all playing WoW... Draken Rising, so still in the RavenHost alliance, Shawn is desperate to get part of the old group together for fun.

You playing?

Nope, moved back to LOTRO.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunno if anyone still haunts this thread who remembers the podcasts but it looks like Paul has been promoted to EA's Senior Creative Director.

http://www.ea.com/videos/06d6c6b893e79210VgnVCM2000001165140aRCRD

Lucky Cynic on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have I mentioned I always found his cast entertaining but I have a deep dislike for the man, now. Because I do dislike him a lot.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited June 2010
    Buh? How can you dislike Paul? He was the lively creative director that lobbied constantly so that EA would give Mythic moar man power and monies so they wouldn't cut out content such as the Bright Wizard's College.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2010
    I think its me having to big of expectations listening to him. Not a real hate, more like a hate that has floated onto him due to shattered dreams.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I think its me having to big of expectations listening to him. Not a real hate, more like a hate that has floated onto him due to shattered dreams.

Like Peter Molyneux?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Paul did his job. He is a big reason for the hype.

But he was murder for retention. To us, he became a snake oil salesman. His magic words were not reality.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    In Paul's defence he was originally a MuD guy, so anything at all not involving walls of Text or Ansi Characters was probably mind blowing!

What killed it was an outsourced programming team that couldn't push through a patch without gamebreakingly destroying 1/2 half the mechanics they didn't touch.

Note to any prospective CEO's, sure you save a few mill by having someone who has never played/even witnessed a computer game code away for you in a third world country, but your customers have to actually want to pay/play for said product before you recover even your reduced costs!

Hyku on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mythic outsourced their programmers? That'd explain a lot.

Glal on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Mythic outsourced their programmers? That'd explain a lot.
    That'd be news to me. I know they used a modified off-the-shelf engine (GameBryo), but lots of game companies have done that and produced a solid product (Oblivion & Fallout 3 use a version of the same engine, for example). I haven't heard anything about the actual game development being done any way but in-house, and I wouldn't call using a licensed engine or toolset "outsourcing".

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited June 2010
    Just check any of the online resume's of their now laid off members for direct proof :

http://nlamartina.com/nlamartina_resume.doc

http://chrisholden.net/

There is a lot more out there. EA is a massive outsourcer, they don't wave big red flags chanting it.. But you can find it if you look even a little bit. You can also see it mentioned a few times in ye old podcasts after EA purchased/financed/Absorbed Mythic.

Hyku on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Producer's letter is out. Big laugh is saying they're often called out for not giving long term plans. They then proceed to not give any long term plans.

-No VP for PvE or Prior Tier
    -New buff that kicks in once you're outnumbered by 20% in oRvR. Increases xp, gold and renown gains by up to 400%.
    -Can exchange sovereign sets for sets with a different focus (their example was a Healy Shaman set for a DPS Shaman Set)

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any rumblings of PvP lakes expanding to full zones or anything like that? At this point, I can't see why they'd cater to anything but PvPers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Any rumblings of PvP lakes expanding to full zones or anything like that? At this point, I can't see why they'd cater to anything but PvPers.

They had several servers like that. They got shut down due to lack of interest along with the RP ones like half a year ago or whatever.

Astale on
    edited June 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »

They had several servers like that. They got shut down due to lack of interest along with the RP ones like half a year ago or whatever.

It really didn't help that the servers were virtually impossible to level on if you were on the low pop side... Honestly you tier was just dominated by those 15 levels above you, please Mythic avoid this like the plaugue!

I would rather they throw in some of the WoW leveling mechanics where you can start a toon and get free levels from buddy accounts and such... Would make it a lot easier to roll a toon along with friends and convince them to leave the free trial account.

Hyku on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, the implementation of Open PvP was less than good. The hard segregation of PvE and PvP content always felt forced on regular servers though.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Having PvP not restricted to the lakes = good.

Allowing people from the tier above you to enter yours and ruin your shit everyday... Not so much.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited June 2010
    I guess if they just flagged you as open to combat for characters in the specific level range of your teir.. I just worry about power twinking ruining new gamers days.

On Volkmar I ran with some guildies from Iron Rock and we made 2 Warrior Priests and 2 Knight of the Blazing suns, hit level 8, throw on devestator gear then applying our +15 Str/armour tallies we were able to rofl stomp groups of 10-12 in the Lake, just the 4 of us. If more show up we just slowly run back to the Warcamp in a retardedly unkillable fashion. (We were bored, there was a city siege we were all on lockout and just wanted to do something different for a bit...)

Now thats an extreme but it wouldn't take much for people to build similar OP toons at the different teirs... I just worry about people actually being able to level without the aid of scenarios through 10-40 with bored 40's looking for some revenge after getting rolled 5 times in a row by premades in their WTFPuG groups.

Hyku on
    edited July 2010
    Just check any of the online resume's of their now laid off members for direct proof :

http://nlamartina.com/nlamartina_resume.doc

http://chrisholden.net/

There is a lot more out there. EA is a massive outsourcer, they don't wave big red flags chanting it.. But you can find it if you look even a little bit. You can also see it mentioned a few times in ye old podcasts after EA purchased/financed/Absorbed Mythic.
    World Art Lead on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, PC
    Mythic Entertainment – October 2008 to February 2009
    After shipping Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, I was promoted to World Art Lead in charge of outsourcing art. My duties included training an outsourced Indian art studio in the technical aspects and Warhammer art style, documenting daily feedback and creating work orders. After the training process, I was in charge of outsourcing art to the studio in India as well as one in China. Additionally, I was proactive between many teams supplying feedback on the live game of exploits and bugs through spending countless hours in the trenches of the game.

World Artist on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, PC
    Mythic Entertainment – March 2006 to October 2008
    I began creating environment assets for all races including large interior and exterior dungeons, buildings, and smaller props such as wagons and banners. My duties included modeling, UVs, materials and collision. Mid development, I switched by choice to the Dungeons Team, and was invovled in all aspects of the creation of three end game dungeons.

Heartbreaking to see this. Even more so for my first MMO, Dark Age of Camelot.

Lucky Cynic on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, the hubby and I are starting the free trail of this. I'm playing a chaos tank and really liking it. I'm rank 4 now and just starting the 2nd area. I'm likely to subscribe. Anyone want to RaF me?

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    So, the hubby and I are starting the free trail of this. I'm playing a chaos tank and really liking it. I'm rank 4 now and just starting the 2nd area. I'm likely to subscribe. Anyone want to RaF me?

On it. Check your pm's in a second.

Edit: oh wait, account servers down - just pm me your e-mail and i'll get one to you once they go up.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
    edited July 2010
    I've got one invite coming to me and one invite pending the hubby if I can convince him to RaF. Is steam the best way to get the full version? Is there an authenticator option? I plan to play a tank and a healer, both destruction side. I really like the chaos tank for the buffs/debuffs. I'm rank 4 on the trail server and having a blast. Shame I can only have one buff up at a time though.

What server is everyone on? I'd like an RP server as they tend to be more grown up, but if it's a no-pop server, then we'll play elsewhere.

Any tips or hints are also welcome

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The RP servers were the first against the wall.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    The first heretics to burn!

Badlands is the most heavily populated server in general, most people keep saying go Iron Rock... but honestly it sucks, especially if you play in the late evenings.

Arthil on
    edited July 2010
    well, we're east coast, so play time will be 7-10ish, so what ever server is good for that. We'll likely duo, though I"ll probably have a solo character as well. We're very social players, but I take crap too seriously sometimes and get obsessed about leveling LOL. We're both old school DAoC players, so we're familiar with rvr.

Is there a good stealth class? They're always crap to level but fun to rvr.

UncleChet on
    edited July 2010
    There's really not a class that can stealth constantly, but Witch Elf and Witch Hunter have ability to do so for as long as their Action Points hold out. Witch Elf is Destro, Witch Hunter Order, though.

Arthil on
    edited July 2010
    Iron Rock isn't to bad for destructo. We get beat pretty badly at times but other times we fight back and get to smash Altdorf. Tier 4 I hear is pretty awesome for Iron Rock. The endless trial should actually be on a normal server. There really isn't any difference or special trial servers or so I have heard. So if you want you can just play on the server you are on. The time you are on you should be fine on most servers. Stealth wise there are no infiltrators/shadowblade like classes. As someone mentioned Witch Elves and Witch Hunters are the closest since they have a temporary stealth ability.

In other news thought I would describe one of the rare moments of awesome that occurs in Tier 3. Since orvr or rvr there in general is rare as hell.

So some of my guild on their alts state passwatch is under attack so I am like, hey something to do other than grind solo while waiting for LotD. So I head to Passwatch and we fight off the small group of Order. About 11 of them with about 6 of us defending. We get word that Well is under attack but they are on the lord so no way for us to get there. Seems that Order has a zerg going there, probably the passwatch group we beat is there as well. Figuring they are going to keep taking elf we head to the other keep there. Then we get word that passwatch is under attack again! Oh no! So we run to Passwatch, but the outer doors are down, we get in through the postern door since no one was watching. We pick them off one at a time but they are to many get through the door kill the lord. We are a bit disorganized and still only about 8 verse a full wb. They come to take the tower near the destruction warcamp, we let them and go to take a different bo. Sadly it took to long for us to take it and they are able to reset it 6 seconds from locking it.

At this point we figure they are going to flip empire then head to elf since that was the next target. Well after sitting there for about 10 minutes they still haven't flipped some how. Seems that t2 reset so they were a couple points behind. So we all head back to Tablecland and group up and gain about 5 people so we have half a wb+1 verse a full wb.

What followed was a 45 minute battle as we slowly pushed them back into the tower at the bo. Which is love for aoe magus style. Tight space, no where to run. Good times. We end up killing the order and taking the BO. We were down to no bar at all before we took the BO but just enough it did not flip. So our small group prevented the flip with a good fight.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2010
    I miss epic RvR from DAoC, I played a heal spec'd firbolg druid and Man, I could keep my my troops alive.

UncleChet on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I miss epic RvR from DAoC, I played a heal spec'd firbolg druid and Man, I could keep my my troops alive.

How is DAoC doing these days anyway?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure, but I'm sure there are some folks still playing it.

I got 3 toons up to lvl 4 now and at the 2nd destruction quest hub. So far I like the Chosen and Zealot the best. Witch Hunter is interesting but meh, if I'm gonnn DPS i want to shield bash.

UncleChet on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is steam the best way to get the full version?

You can just upgrade via the Warhammer site. You could do Steam too I guess.
    What server is everyone on?

Everyone is pretty spread out, but a few people from PA have Destro on Iron Rock. We used to have a guild there, not sure if its still around or has officers that can invite, but it was a high level guild with some pretty nice perks.
    I'd like an RP server as they tend to be more grown up, but if it's a no-pop server, then we'll play elsewhere.

RP servers are, unfortunately, nonexistent. The population just wasn't there to support them.

EDIT: Oh hey, missed the last page entirely so I'm a little late to the party.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RP servers are, unfortunately, nonexistent. The population just wasn't there to support them.
    That(Phoenix Throne had a pretty big population for a while though) and the game lacked the basic things RPers tend to use. Like walking. Unless you roleplay someone who just doesn't have the time to stay awhile.

Mythic still has to get that whole 'Sitting' thing down... doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should have seen the CoX thread when Paragon finally gave their players the ability to walk (via a power you toggled on and off). You'd think there was an entire expansion's worth of work invested in that little animation that could've been spent on said expansion instead. :P

[edit] I just played on WAR's RP server because I like having players with IC names running around. It makes the world seem more like Warhammer and less like a cardboard cutout with 12 year-olds.

Glal on