As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    X-com pack and GTA4 for $8.75, that's one hell of a good 'hours wasted : $$$ spent' ratio

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe I won't already own 5 out of 8 from the daily sales tomorrow.

Just give me 1 daily Steam D: Vampire: Bloodlines please.

Alegis on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    On a unrelated note: Holy shit, Age of Conan is still alive?

Apparently it doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to, but that's what pretty much everyone still subscribed to a "failed" MMO claims at some point.

I don't envy anyone trying to peddle a full priced game on Steam without "Modern Warfare" in the title right in the middle of a mega-sale.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm.

HMMMMM.

I will get x-com because I have not played it since I was a wee lad. Well, not so wee.

Hmmm.

Team Fortress 2? I have never played it. Is it worth this price? Do lots of people still play it?

Noxy on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    How badly would GTAIV run on my comp?

2.4GHz dual-core Core i5
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTS 360M (1GB DDR5 Dedicated)

what resolution do you run at

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2? I have never played it. Is it worth this price? Do lots of people still play it?

Yes and yes.

Unless you absolutely hate class-based multiplayer FPS games.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes and Yes. Still getting plenty of updates, and still a large and active community.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Tons of people still play it. Don't know about the price since I'm quite sure I've seen it cheaper before, but it is a really fun game.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Maybe I won't already own 5 out of 8 from the daily sales tomorrow.
    The worst is when you go "Meh, everything there I bought already" and you realise that you bought it in the last big steam sale. And THEN you also realise that you haven't even played/installed it!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah community is definitely active, also here on PA. Several PA servers.

Alegis on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A lot of people play it, but I personally found it difficult to jump into after it's been going on so long. I guess one of the problems with dedicated servers and no matchmaking is that everyone's kinda already formed their little cliques if you get in on it late. The guns don't quite feel right, either.

Edit: But a TON of people love it, so it might be worth a go anyways.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

2.4GHz dual-core Core i5
    4GB DDR3 RAM

what resolution do you run at

1366x768

Weirdo 16:9 720p resolution. Asus laptops always have odd resolutions.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's possible to hate TF2?

edit: you should be able to run gta4 okay... mind you, practically nothing can run it great -- your GPU is just a bit of a bottleneck, but at that resolution it should all work out okay

edit edit: furthermore, for people buying X-Com. Here's what you need to know:

Start with UFO Defense
    From there, Apocalypse
    From there, Terror from the Deep
    From there, NO OTHER X-COM GAMES EXIST.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does GTAIV have any nasty DRM? Anyone?

I already own it on the 360, but I figure for five bucks, I might as well own it on PC as well, I'm thinkin' -- as long as it doesn't have any bullshit to deal with.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I should have asked before buying it (not that it would have stopped me):

Are the X-com games optimized to run through steam? or am I gonna have crazy resolutions and hyper-speed issues?

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    I'm actually hoping Arma II is a mistake. It should be 85% off!

C'mon! C'MON!!!

I'm thinking the same thing, it doesn't seem like a huge discount. (alright half price is excellent but this is a daily deal).

Well I am pretty sure the price before today (the expansion debut) was $50. They dropped the normal to 40, and the sale is half off.

Either way, half off for a game which came out almost exactly a year ago is pretty fucking good.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Does GTAIV have any nasty DRM? Anyone?

I already own it on the 360, but I figure for five bucks, I might as well own it on PC as well, I'm thinkin' -- as long as it doesn't have any bullshit to deal with.

According to the small print it requires an active internet connection on first install.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    A lot of people play it, but I personally found it difficult to jump into after it's been going on so long. I guess one of the problems with dedicated servers and no matchmaking is that everyone's kinda already formed their little cliques if you get in on it late.

To provide an alternative opinion, I jumped in on the free weekend a while back, and found it pretty easy to work my way in. Just find a couple servers that you seem to enjoy, and you're good to go.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    A lot of people play it, but I personally found it difficult to jump into after it's been going on so long. I guess one of the problems with dedicated servers and no matchmaking is that everyone's kinda already formed their little cliques if you get in on it late.

I found it intimidating at first, but if you just pick a server at random (edit: well, not at *random*.. don't go to crazy rules servers where they give everyone a million HP and pistols shoot rockets and crap) *usually* you will not run into jerks, even if you suck. And you get the hang of everything pretty quick.

I do think the game could have benefited from some "newbie" servers though - someplace new players could go and at least not feel overwhelmed.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    And THEN you also realise that you haven't even played/installed it!
    oh shit D:

But all the savings!

Well a bunch of my purchases like commandos pack I consider ... delayed payment. Younger me was rather forgetful in that aspect from time to time. Now my conscience is clear.
    Still leaves a larger bunch of unplayed games to somehow justify.

Alegis on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, that was an overwhelming amount of yes.

I have always wanted to play it but never got around to it. I think I will throw it in my cart in a bit.

Noxy on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guess which nerd bought Commandos just before the daily sale? This nerd.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, that was an overwhelming amount of yes.

I have always wanted to play it but never got around to it. I think I will throw it in my cart in a bit.

Yeah I got it sitting in my cart too along with X-Com. Both if which I've ner played.
    Worst comes to Worst we could always get our own newcommers server going. I'm sure a few people here will be first time TF-ers.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »

Are the X-com games optimized to run through steam? or am I gonna have crazy resolutions and hyper-speed issues?

They run in DOSBox windows. Any problems caused by that can be fixed by tweaking config files to taste.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    davincie wrote: »

There's a reason people suggest not buying anything till the 4th unless its a daily deal.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's probably about time I finally played an X-COM game. Might have to get that Commandos bundle too.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

2.4GHz dual-core Core i5
    4GB DDR3 RAM

I'm not sure how the laptop i5 compares to the desktop i5, but a desktop i5 with a halfway decent graphics card should run GTAIV just fine. The game is mostly dependent on the CPU (and it loves quad cores).

It will most likely run with little issue...no guarantees you'll be able to run it at native res though.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alright, I sprung for GTA and the XCOM pack because I've heard such great things about it. So, to date, that's about $23 spent.
    If the Hitman pack goes on sale over the course of the next few days, I am gonna be PISSED.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »

They run in DOSBox windows. Any problems caused by that can be fixed by tweaking config files to taste.

beautiful! steam proves again why it deserves all my money

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BTW, for those looking to jump into X-Com, I recommend checking out a Let's Play on youtube of it before you get started (or at least a few videos of one to understand the basics). It's an awesome game but it's pretty complex and easy to get overwhelmed with options when you don't quite know what you are doing.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

Apparently it doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to, but that's what pretty much everyone still subscribed to a "failed" MMO claims at some point.

I don't envy anyone trying to peddle a full priced game on Steam without "Modern Warfare" in the title right in the middle of a mega-sale.

If only they had made a single player RPG out of the license.

It might even have turned up as a Daily. :P

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can anyone talk a little bit about the Commandos gameplay? I've never heard of the series, but it looks pretty decent.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm intrigued by Numen, but the utter lack of reviews, a surplus of RPGs and a 75% discount less than a month after launch don't build my confidence.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    BTW, for those looking to jump into X-Com, I recommend checking out a Let's Play on youtube of it before you get started (or at least a few videos of one to understand the basics). It's an awesome game but it's pretty complex and easy to get overwhelmed with options when you don't quite know what you are doing.

Furthermore, this page is a wealth of resources for learning how to play (and even maybe succeed) at the game:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    davincie wrote: »

There's a reason people suggest not buying anything till the 4th unless its a daily deal.

(Gratuitous Witcher reference goes here)

Lawndart on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

If only they had made a single player RPG out of the license.

It might even have turned up as a Daily. :P
    I think there was an "eh, it's okay" God of War clone with the Conan name a while back. A Conan RPG does sound all manner of fun, though.

(Then again, so did a super spy RPG. I suppose it's all a matter of who makes it.)

Darlan on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A heads up for any Australians thinking of buying the 2K games pack: I just bought it, and it came with a lot of games that weren't listed in the package, and whose store pages I'm unable to access (says they're not available in this region). Valve may decide to take the games back, but in any case, I got these extra:

CivCity: Rome
    MLB 2K10
    MLB Front Office Manager
    Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum
    Railroad Tycoon 3
    Shattered Union
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Sid Meier's Railroads!
    Stronghold
    Stronghold 2
    Stronghold Crusader + Extreme
    Stronghold Legends

Along with some buggy duplicate entries for the civ games. Not a bad haul for $90US.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Can anyone talk a little bit about the Commandos gameplay? I've never heard of the series, but it looks pretty decent.

You have control of a small squad of soldiers; stealth guy, bazooka guy and sniper. Maybe another one too who knows? It's been a whil.e You sneak around on battlefields and army bases completing objectives. It's isometric from what I recall and all done in real-time. I loved it back then.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I found it intimidating at first, but if you just pick a server at random (edit: well, not at *random*.. don't go to crazy rules servers where they give everyone a million HP and pistols shoot rockets and crap) *usually* you will not run into jerks, even if you suck. And you get the hang of everything pretty quick.

I do think the game could have benefited from some "newbie" servers though - someplace new players could go and at least not feel overwhelmed.

You could just play with us on the PA servers. There are a few fragfest type 32-player servers where you can kinda get the hang of stuff. It's not too tough of a games to get into if you keep in mind the strengths of each class you choose when you start.

You're gonna get yelled at by someone no matter what game you play.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope Witcher never goes back on sale so I can lord my savings over all the whiny internet nerds

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
This discussion has been closed.