As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A heads up for any Australians thinking of buying the 2K games pack: I just bought it, and it came with a lot of games that weren't listed in the package, and whose store pages I'm unable to access (says they're not available in this region). Valve may decide to take the games back, but in any case, I got these extra:

[snip]

Along with some buggy duplicate entries for the civ games. Not a bad haul for $90US.
    Just as an FYI, I'm seeing those listed as a part of the package on the store page for NA Steam.

Darlan on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope Witcher never goes back on sale so I can lord my savings over all the whiny internet nerds

If not you can BOYCOTT STEAM AAAAHHHH

Michael H on
  • TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Can anyone talk a little bit about the Commandos gameplay? I've never heard of the series, but it looks pretty decent.

You have control of a small squad of soldiers; stealth guy, bazooka guy and sniper. Maybe another one too who knows? It's been a whil.e You sneak around on battlefields and army bases completing objectives. It's isometric from what I recall and all done in real-time. I loved it back then.

I think there was an engineer too.

I remember playing it when I was probably... 8-9? And it was really really tough. I do however remember having fun with it playing online, surely to the bemusement of the unfortunate people to play with a 9 year old.

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woot! Arma 2! Now to muddle my way through the steam website on my phone.

RoyceSraphim on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A heads up for any Australians thinking of buying the 2K games pack: I just bought it, and it came with a lot of games that weren't listed in the package, and whose store pages I'm unable to access (says they're not available in this region). Valve may decide to take the games back, but in any case, I got these extra:

CivCity: Rome
    MLB 2K10
    MLB Front Office Manager
    Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum
    Railroad Tycoon 3
    Shattered Union
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Sid Meier's Railroads!
    Stronghold
    Stronghold 2
    Stronghold Crusader + Extreme
    Stronghold Legends

Along with some buggy duplicate entries for the civ games. Not a bad haul for $90US.

The "buggy duplicate entries" for the Civ games are the Mac versions.

ManetherenWolf on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Also not a particularly impressive day.

x-com pack is bought since I haven't played terror from the deep.

SFIV I would have bought, but my cheapo gamepad stopped working recently

guess it's time to get gtavi as well

With the possible exception of full circle moves, I'd say that SF4 plays fine on keyboard.

SF4 is really great, but I'm not sure who would buy it when Super is out on consoles.

I know people always say how great X-COM is, but I'm not really a big fan of strategy games.

Peewi on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picked up the original X-Com and Commandos 2 today, this backlog is gonna take me a while to slog through.

Thetheroo on
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm all over the Commandos pack, which has been on my watch list since the start of the sale. I could see myself ending up with X-Com too - I'll see if the mood takes me.

area on
  • psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woot! Arma 2! Now to muddle my way through the steam website on my phone.

that good eh?

i'm gonna hold off for a bit longer 19.99 isnt low enough for me yet :p

Btw
    Numen is on sale again

any thoughts on that game?? has anyone here even tried it?

psychoticdream on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Can anyone talk a little bit about the Commandos gameplay? I've never heard of the series, but it looks pretty decent.

You have control of a small squad of soldiers; stealth guy, bazooka guy and sniper. Maybe another one too who knows? It's been a whil.e You sneak around on battlefields and army bases completing objectives. It's isometric from what I recall and all done in real-time. I loved it back then.

There are like way more guys actually, you got a spy and a dog too for example. They are some of the hardest and best tactical rpg/rts hybrid game things ever. Look it up on youtube.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The "buggy duplicate entries" for the Civ games are the Mac versions.
    Ah. Thanks. Kinda weird that they'd be displayed at all, especially with no indication that they're Mac (that I can see).

His Corkiness on
    edited June 2010
    Fuck it, I am going in and getting the Commandos pack. I hope people are playing online.

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2? I have never played it. Is it worth this price? Do lots of people still play it?
    A lot of people play it, but I personally found it difficult to jump into after it's been going on so long. I guess one of the problems with dedicated servers and no matchmaking is that everyone's kinda already formed their little cliques if you get in on it late.

I found it intimidating at first, but if you just pick a server at random (edit: well, not at *random*.. don't go to crazy rules servers where they give everyone a million HP and pistols shoot rockets and crap) *usually* you will not run into jerks, even if you suck. And you get the hang of everything pretty quick.

I do think the game could have benefited from some "newbie" servers though - someplace new players could go and at least not feel overwhelmed.

You could just play with us on the PA servers. There are a few fragfest type 32-player servers where you can kinda get the hang of stuff. It's not too tough of a games to get into if you keep in mind the strengths of each class you choose when you start.

You're gonna get yelled at by someone no matter what game you play.

Just let us know you're a newbie so we can give you tips for your class and go easy on you.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nothing for me today.

And it's definitely possible to get into TF2 right now. My fiancee really got into it over the last few months. She usually goes either medic or heavy, I think. It's kind of funny because I played the hell out of it when it first came out, then came back to it when she finally started playing it about 2 years after I had gifted it to her. She is far more enthusiastic than me about playing it. I think I've just been in less of a competitive multiplayer mood lately.

SteevL on
    edited June 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    SF4 is really great, but I'm not sure who would buy it when Super is out on consoles.
    I can see the appeal of getting this one just to be sure you'll always have some good version of Street Fighter to play no matter what happens to your consoles. Especially this generation, that 360 is going to break out of warranty someday, guaranteed.

Darlan on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I decided not to buy anything. X-Com is DOSbox and I never get that to run right. TF2 is multiplayer shooting, not really my cup of tea at all.

Big Classy on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yay nothing to buy today!

Hawk on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another day of disappointing sales.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picked up The Witcher a few days ago when it was on sale for 7 bucks, and last night got the telltale monkey island episodes that ive been on the fence about for 10 bucks (5 episodes). If i see sam and max i might have to grab them too as its a good price.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GTA4 doesn't look that great even maxed, so feel free to turn down settings to get a decent framerate

i bought it just for the freeroam multi back during the christmas sale

my first encounter with GFWL

dear god what an abortion of a program

i think i hate it nearly as much as itunes. D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited June 2010
    GTA4 doesn't look that great even maxed, so feel free to turn down settings to get a decent framerate

i bought it just for the freeroam multi back during the christmas sale

my first encounter with GFWL

dear god what an abortion of a program

i think i hate it nearly as much as itunes. D:

As I sit here updating my iPhone to 4.0, those are harsh words.

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    well I might not have to buy Osmos and Commandos 2 if Steam doesn't let me login :|

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i like gfwl

edit: though if it were optional for people who didn't like it (at cost of removing multiplayer access while not being used) and if it didn't log me out from my xbox if i logged into my pc would both be nice additions

Dehumanized on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    speaking of osmos, does anyone know where i can acquire the OST? i don't want to play the game, flOw did it better imo, but the music is nice and i wanna listen to it.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just a tip, don't buy ArmA II. It's $20, but if you buy the ArmA II + OA pack, you get ArmA II for $10. And there's not a lot of reason to buy ArmA II alone now that OA is out.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited June 2010
    i like gfwl

edit: though if it were optional for people who didn't like it (at cost of removing multiplayer access while not being used) and if it didn't log me out from my xbox if i logged into my pc would both be nice additions
    I had a terrible experience with Red Faction Guerilla where it wouldn't let me be online until it patched, but the gfwl patching service was also broken (I think it wasn't calibrated to patch the files in the Steam folder, instead auto sending them to C/Programs/RedFactionGuerilla/ or something), so I basically couldn't play any multiplayer at all because of their shitty design.

It'll also hold your game saves hostage if it messes up, too.

Darlan on
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just an FYI for people looking to get the Commandos pack - the first two games are running at double speed, you will need to install this patch in order to get it to work normally.

There are a few threads on the Steam forum regarding the issues.

Perdurabo on
  • BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just a question for you all.
    Is it worth getting the entire X-com pack or should I just get the original today?

BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like GFWL in principle - whole "can message people in XBL, share a single achievement set/points, etc."

What irritates me are the games that update via GFWL instead of via Steam, like Bioshock 2. All other Steam games update automatically, in the background. But those games don't download updates until you load them.

Jragghen on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Street Fighter 4 eh? On sale eh? Stealing my wallet eh?

Is it actually any good?

I don't have a controller to hand, so would a keyboard suffice?

WMain00 on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Play.com has ARMA II for £11.99. 50p cheaper if your that hardcore on your savings.

The Steam sale for it is silly, they had it at that price 8 months ago. Surely it should be a bigger discount this time round?

Big Classy on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it worth getting the entire X-com pack or should I just get the original today?
    Get the original and Apocalypse, TFTD is a +1 Difficulty reskin and Enforcer and Interceptor are shit.

Sorenson on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When you consider that Enforcer and Interceptor are awful and should not be installed nor played, the complete pack is basically the same price as just buying each of the worthwhile ones (UFO Defense, TFD, Apoc) alone.

On the other hand, we're talking about a difference of $2.50 between buying just one game and getting all three. If you're not sure if you're going to like the games and money is really tight, then I guess you could just get UFO Defense and pick up others later when more sales come around, if you like the gameplay (which is totally awesome and super atmospheric).

Dehumanized on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Despite the unfair difficulty, I kinda like Terror From The Deep actually.

I usually enjoy my time playing it, up to a certain point. Then it goes on the shelf, and come back to it in a few months starting a new game.

Dangerbird on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Get the pack, while the original's the best the other two, terror from the deep and apocalypse are good too.

SkutSkut on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'd say it's worth getting the pack for TFTD and Apocalypse. Just buying the original isn't a boneheaded move, however, because TFTD is pretty much more like it and Apocalypse is something people either like or hate, typically.

Also I figured out why my gift card won't work (I'm an idiot): it checks for the full price before it applies the reduction. Since I have $13.34 on my gift card, I'm having trouble figuring out how I'll work it. I mean, I could buy X-COM + Apocalypse right now, and they'd clear because the total is $10, but then I'd be left with an even lower limit for "max price for a game before sale" or whatever.

GIFT CARDS ARE STUPID AND STEAM IS STUPID FOR MAKING YOU HAVE THE FULL PRICE BEFORE IT APPLIES THE SALE REDUCTION. I just want to spend this money on Steam and then get back to buying games with my normal credit card, but now I don't know if it's worth buying a couple X-COMs (pretty much the only thing I can afford at the pre-sale price) and then being left with a pretty much useless gift card, or waiting for a game that normally retails for less than $13.34 to go on sale or something.

If this thing worked I'd have King's Bounty + the whole X-COM pack but I think Steam is going to talk me in to just buying UFO Defense + Apocalypse or something. Man, even doing this math is confusing. (Gift card balance before purchase) vs. (Pre-sale price of all items), (Gift card balance after purchase) vs. (Possible pre-sale price of other games on sale), (Gift card balance) vs. (Sale price of items)...

MY BRAIN

TychoCelchuuu on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't buy SF4 as long as SSF4 exists

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

Is it actually any good?

As a game? Vastly polished, I hear - and how many fighters do you see on the PC nowadays?

As a port? It's from Capcom's recent 'excellent' period, which they sadly seem to have now dropped wholesale.

As a sale? Not brilliant - it's slightly more than half the average retail price of the massively expanded Super Street Fighter IV for consoles.

Playing on keyboard? I have no personal experience, but I imagine you will cry.

Bioptic on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, when are Capcom going to reduce the price on Bionic Commando? I've been following that since before launch, but all the negative hype once it hit put me off, and at £20 it's still above my "willing to experiment with" threshold.

subedii on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

Is it actually any good?

Fuck yes, it is good. Yeah, playing with keyboard will do fine, even though it's not the optimal way to play.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I like GFWL in principle - whole "can message people in XBL, share a single achievement set/points, etc."

What irritates me are the games that update via GFWL instead of via Steam, like Bioshock 2. All other Steam games update automatically, in the background. But those games don't download updates until you load them.

It depends on the game. GTA4 has definitely been update through Steam, even though it's a GFW Live game.

There are two things about GFW Live I like better than Steam. The way game invites are handled and the fact that you can get info about what your friends are doing in the game. Everything else, I think Steam does better.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.