As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh Steam, what are you doing to me... I already have six of today's games!
    Pffft128414382037302500.jpg

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    davincie wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Can anyone talk a little bit about the Commandos gameplay? I've never heard of the series, but it looks pretty decent.

You have control of a small squad of soldiers; stealth guy, bazooka guy and sniper. Maybe another one too who knows? It's been a whil.e You sneak around on battlefields and army bases completing objectives. It's isometric from what I recall and all done in real-time. I loved it back then.

There are like way more guys actually, you got a spy and a dog too for example. They are some of the hardest and best tactical rpg/rts hybrid game things ever. Look it up on youtube.

Sounds pretty good to me. Man, this sale is killing me. Thanks a lot, guys! :x
    <3

Vi Monks on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eh, I already have the 2 games I would be interested in for today. Plus I bought Osmos a while back because it was so cheap. It's fun, interesting idea but it is pretty hard.

The key to TF2 is not even worrying about K/D, just points. Objectives are always more important than kills, that's why Medics, Heavies, Soldiers and Engineers are kings.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nothing for me today...

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Man, when are Capcom going to reduce the price on Bionic Commando? I've been following that since before launch, but all the negative hype once it hit put me off, and at £20 it's still above my "willing to experiment with" threshold.

same. i wanna get the rearmed bundle for something like 10 bucks.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Street Fighter 4 eh? On sale eh? Stealing my wallet eh?

Is it actually any good?

I don't have a controller to hand, so would a keyboard suffice?

As a game? Vastly polished, I hear - and how many fighters do you see on the PC nowadays?

As a port? It's from Capcom's recent 'excellent' period, which they sadly seem to have now dropped wholesale.

As a sale? Not brilliant - it's slightly more than half the average retail price of the massively expanded Super Street Fighter IV for consoles.

Playing on keyboard? I have no personal experience, but I imagine you will cry.

They have? How so? Is it the lack of SSFIV or a recent game that was badly ported or ... ?

I'm moderately interested in Dead Rising 2, you see.

Muddy Water on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eh, I already have the 2 games I would be interested in for today. Plus I bought Osmos a while back because it was so cheap. It's fun, interesting idea but it is pretty hard.

The key to TF2 is not even worrying about K/D, just points. Objectives are always more important than kills, that's why Medics, Heavies, Soldiers and Engineers are kings.

oh yeah, definitely. that's why TF2 is so accessible. nobody REALLY cares that you keep dying, because that's not important. GET TO THE CAP.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I bought Commandos...which one should I should play first?

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lurk wrote: »

Behind Enemy Lines - just make sure to install the fan fix, otherwise it'll be running too fast.

Perdurabo on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Perdurabo wrote: »

Behind Enemy Lines - just make sure to install the fan fix, otherwise it'll be running too fast.

How important is it to start with this one? 2 and 3 look much prettier in the screenshots, and I'm a huge sucker for beautiful 2D isometric environments.

Vi Monks on
  • Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hehe, so nobody knows anything about this Numen game?

It was on sale before, but only €2 off, now it's at a better price. But there doesn't seem to be any information about it anywhere... I might just write it off then, I'm sure there will be better ways to spend €5 this week.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Perdurabo wrote: »

How important is it to start with this one? 2 and 3 look much prettier in the screenshots, and I'm a huge sucker for beautiful 2D isometric environments.

There isn't an important story or anything but you might be spoiled on 1 if you play 2 first because it has way more options.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hehe, so nobody knows anything about this Numen game?

It was on sale before, but only €2 off, now it's at a better price. But there doesn't seem to be any information about it anywhere... I might just write it off then, I'm sure there will be better ways to spend €5 this week.

I've found only one fan review and it said the game is terrible.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Is it actually any good?

Fuck yes, it is good. Yeah, playing with keyboard will do fine, even though it's not the optimal way to play.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I like GFWL in principle - whole "can message people in XBL, share a single achievement set/points, etc."

What irritates me are the games that update via GFWL instead of via Steam, like Bioshock 2. All other Steam games update automatically, in the background. But those games don't download updates until you load them.

It depends on the game. GTA4 has definitely been update through Steam, even though it's a GFW Live game.

There are two things about GFW Live I like better than Steam. The way game invites are handled and the fact that you can get info about what your friends are doing in the game. Everything else, I think Steam does better.

I prefer Steam's game invite system to be honest, it feels a lot less clunky.

And my experiences with GFWL in DoW2 pretty much put me off of it when it comes to multiplayer games. For SP games I don't really mind it so much, it's largely unobtrusive and you don't need to deal with it.

But for online games... well let's just say that despite being a game with a much lower budget, I'll take SupCom 2's Steamworks implementation over what happened in DoW2. Much less frustrating so far.

subedii on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Is it actually any good?

Fuck yes, it is good. Yeah, playing with keyboard will do fine, even though it's not the optimal way to play.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I like GFWL in principle - whole "can message people in XBL, share a single achievement set/points, etc."

What irritates me are the games that update via GFWL instead of via Steam, like Bioshock 2. All other Steam games update automatically, in the background. But those games don't download updates until you load them.

It depends on the game. GTA4 has definitely been update through Steam, even though it's a GFW Live game.

There are two things about GFW Live I like better than Steam. The way game invites are handled and the fact that you can get info about what your friends are doing in the game. Everything else, I think Steam does better.

I prefer Steam's game invite system to be honest, it feels a lot less clunky.

And my experiences with GFWL in DoW2 pretty much put me off of it when it comes to multiplayer games. For SP games I don't really mind it so much, it's largely unobtrusive and you don't need to deal with it.

But for online games... well let's just say that despite being a game with a much lower budget, I'll take SupCom 2's Steamworks implementation over what happened in DoW2. Much less frustrating so far.

GFWL in DoW2 reminds me of FFXI's playonline browser. Both were clearly designed as an introductory puzzle game to get your critical thinking skills warmed up before hopping into some multiplayer.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looks like it's GTA for me today. No more excuse to ignore it now that the DLC is out on the PC. I feel obligated to grab Xcom, but it's not the sort of game I generally have an easy time getting into.

I don't know who in their right mind thought SF4 would sell at that price with Super around.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Is it actually any good?

As a game? Vastly polished, I hear - and how many fighters do you see on the PC nowadays?

As a port? It's from Capcom's recent 'excellent' period, which they sadly seem to have now dropped wholesale.

As a sale? Not brilliant - it's slightly more than half the average retail price of the massively expanded Super Street Fighter IV for consoles.

They have? How so? Is it the lack of SSFIV or a recent game that was badly ported or ... ?

I'd like to know too. Only things I can think about is the lack of Super Street Fighter IV and RE5 DLC for PC.

Apparently Dead Rising 2 isn't being developed entirely by Capcom, but also by a studio called Blue Castle Games. I would assume that it's them and not Capcom that's doing the PC version, but since they care enough to release PC version at the same time as the console version, I would think that they also care enough to make sure that the PC version is good.

Peewi on
    edited June 2010
    I think I'll get Street Fighter 4. Just to check it out. A dualshock 3 should suffice, right? I'm only looking to dabble in it.

And no, I can't get Super for 20 bucks at retail so don't tell me to buy it.

Muddy Water on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I'll get Street Fighter 4. Just to check it out. A dualshock 3 should suffice, right? I'm only looking to dabble in it.

A Dualshock 3 is one of the better controllers for the game short of the full fightstick, but for PC use I've never found a trustworthy source with the drivers. Everything I've seen says something like "'kay, first disable all of your security stuff and then run this janky-looking program developed by some random dude and you'll be good to go."

Yeah...no thanks.

Edit: I imagine you could find a wired 360 controller for cheap somewhere, though.

Darlan on
  • cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know this was talked about in the last thread, but how is Men of War? I played the demo and was impressed by the gameplay (though not by the cutscenes or voice acting). How is the multiplayer? Is there a strong multiplayer community?

Also, how is Ghost Master? I read some so-so reviews so i'm not so sure if i want to get it or not.

cpugeek13 on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Might have to get Xcom, but I'm not sure I want to deal with dosbox.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I don't have Xcom, but have plenty of games via Steam that use dosbox. It's really not a big deal - everything's all set up. The only time you see anything that says "dosbox" is when the game first fires up. You can futz with settings and stuff if you want, but IME it's been "Click game -> play game". no fuss no muss.

Michael H on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I haven't had to touch dosbox at all with the Steam installation of X-Com. You might have to make an adjustment or two if you have problems, but it went perfectly for me.

Ketar on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does the sale price for GTAIV include the DLC?

Yall on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yall wrote: »

DLC was a few days ago, no.

captaink on
    edited June 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

A Dualshock 3 is one of the better controllers for the game short of the full fightstick, but for PC use I've never found a trustworthy source with the drivers. Everything I've seen says something like "'kay, first disable all of your security stuff and then run this janky-looking program developed by some random dude and you'll be good to go."

Yeah...no thanks.

Edit: I imagine you could find a wired 360 controller for cheap somewhere, though.

Well, I've already got the Dualshock 3 running on my PC. Playing Assassin's Creed II with it. So I guess I'm good to go, right?

Muddy Water on
    edited June 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    Five bucks for all of GTA IV and Liberty City Episodes, which is still $30 new? No way.

Darlan on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Damn you people, I'm trying to dissuade myself from a purchase! D:

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    I know this was talked about in the last thread, but how is Men of War? I played the demo and was impressed by the gameplay (though not by the cutscenes or voice acting). How is the multiplayer? Is there a strong multiplayer community?

Also, how is Ghost Master? I read some so-so reviews so i'm not so sure if i want to get it or not.

Pretty much everything you need to know about MoW is in our Men of War thread.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited June 2010

Yeah...no thanks.

Well, I've already got the Dualshock 3 running on my PC. Playing Assassin's Creed II with it. So I guess I'm good to go, right?
    Oh in that case yeah go ahead. Do you remember where you got your drivers, by any chance?

Darlan on
    edited June 2010

Yeah...no thanks.

Oh in that case yeah go ahead. Do you remember where you got your drivers, by any chance?

Well, as you said, it involved a lot "kay, first disable all of your security stuff and then run this janky-looking program developed by some random dude and you'll be good to go." :)

But, if you're still interested, I just followed this pleasant-sounding guy's tutorial on youtube and it's been working like peaches.

Muddy Water on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I also would like to know how to get a dualshock 3 running on my PC.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah...no thanks.

http://dl.qj.net/playstation-3/tools-and-utilities/sixaxis-driver-for-pc.html

I use these, but it doesn't support the rumble, or the wireless bits.

These don't require any messing with security things either, since it just uses a standard USB driver

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I figured out why my gift card won't work (I'm an idiot): it checks for the full price before it applies the reduction.

What kind of gift card are you using? I use the Visa/Mastercard gift card credit cards all the time since I dont have a credit card of my own, and I've never had a problem with this.

Zerokku on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gonna gift TF2 to a buddy so we can play together. Apart from that, nothing I want today thank god.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Is it actually any good?

I'd like to know too. Only things I can think about is the lack of Super Street Fighter IV and RE5 DLC for PC.

Apparently Dead Rising 2 isn't being developed entirely by Capcom, but also by a studio called Blue Castle Games. I would assume that it's them and not Capcom that's doing the PC version, but since they care enough to release PC version at the same time as the console version, I would think that they also care enough to make sure that the PC version is good.

Yeah - nothing concrete, more that I thought Capcom was 'refocusing' their efforts after sales were reportedly low of their previous stuff, and they dropped support for all of their existing games. I also heard that the port of Dark Void wasn't brilliant, but the negativity flying around that game might have tainted these views somewhat. Dead Rising 2 looks promising, certainly, but that'll be an acid test for porting - any peformance issues will be multiplied by several hundred eager zombies.

Bioptic on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every time I buy something on sale on steam, I think back to this Carlos Mencia standup where his wife keeps saying "But honey, look how much I saved!" so he buys an airplane and says, "But honey, look how much I saved."

By the by, would you say to get a sony PS3 controller from a store or a pawnshop, or would a Mad Catz (omg, Tycho just collapsed) suffice?

RoyceSraphim on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Also I figured out why my gift card won't work (I'm an idiot): it checks for the full price before it applies the reduction.

What kind of gift card are you using? I use the Visa/Mastercard gift card credit cards all the time since I dont have a credit card of my own, and I've never had a problem with this.

American Express, but I heard that this happens no matter what you buy with. Maybe it only does it for certain things?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    heroes of might and magic V is looking rather tasty right now on super sale.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

American Express, but I heard that this happens no matter what you buy with. Maybe it only does it for certain things?

Possibly. May be a silly American Express thing. The Visa/Mastercard gift cards are run through the same company.

Zerokku on
This discussion has been closed.