As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Also I figured out why my gift card won't work (I'm an idiot): it checks for the full price before it applies the reduction.

What kind of gift card are you using? I use the Visa/Mastercard gift card credit cards all the time since I dont have a credit card of my own, and I've never had a problem with this.

American Express, but I heard that this happens no matter what you buy with. Maybe it only does it for certain things?

Possibly. May be a silly American Express thing. The Visa/Mastercard gift cards are run through the same company.

I was pretty sure it was a Steam thing. Seems weird that different companies would have different price cutoffs when it's the same thing being bought from Steam.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just beat Death to Spies.

Interesting ending...

Ok! Now on to Death to Spies: Moment of Truth!

Dangerbird on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whatever it was everyone else liked about zeno clash I missed out on it. I found the whole thing pretty meh.

Casual on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I figured out why my gift card won't work (I'm an idiot): it checks for the full price before it applies the reduction.

What kind of gift card are you using? I use the Visa/Mastercard gift card credit cards all the time since I dont have a credit card of my own, and I've never had a problem with this.

American Express, but I heard that this happens no matter what you buy with. Maybe it only does it for certain things?

Possibly. May be a silly American Express thing. The Visa/Mastercard gift cards are run through the same company.

I was pretty sure it was a Steam thing. Seems weird that different companies would have different price cutoffs when it's the same thing being bought from Steam.

Just used a $25 one and bought what was pre-sale, $35 worth of games.

No problem for me.

Zerokku on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picked up the X-Com pack... can't justify buying GTA IV, I already own it for 360

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So my debit card works again. Now I'm kind of scared to buy things, lest it lock up on me again. But I'm still buying that X-Com bundle, since I've never played those games. And the Gothic bundle, even though I missed the $5 thing.
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Yeah - nothing concrete, more that I thought Capcom was 'refocusing' their efforts after sales were reportedly low of their previous stuff, and they dropped support for all of their existing games. I also heard that the port of Dark Void wasn't brilliant, but the negativity flying around that game might have tainted these views somewhat. Dead Rising 2 looks promising, certainly, but that'll be an acid test for porting - any peformance issues will be multiplied by several hundred eager zombies.
    Dark Void, like Bionic Commando and Dead Rising 2, wasn't developed internally. All the good PC ports have come straight out of Capcom Japan. And their refocusing effort is to stop doing external development with western studios precisely because of games like Dark Void. Which I haven't played and, like Bionic Commando, probably didn't get the credit that it was due.
    subedii wrote: »
    Man, when are Capcom going to reduce the price on Bionic Commando? I've been following that since before launch, but all the negative hype once it hit put me off, and at £20 it's still above my "willing to experiment with" threshold.

same. i wanna get the rearmed bundle for something like 10 bucks.
    You people don't read enough posts by me. Read more of my posts. Bionic Commando was excellent and gooses are sill for disliking it.

Monger on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Casual wrote: »
    Whatever it was everyone else liked about zeno clash I missed out on it. I found the whole thing pretty meh.

I think it was the whole "wow this is so wacky and surreal" and the fact that it was first-person melee combat.

I thought the first person melee combat was interesting, but I would have liked it a lot more if it didn't have lockon. The whole setting, while interesting, wasn't enough to carry the weak narrative and voice acting though.

So yeah, kinda meh.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Man, did not not enjoy punching the crap out of a bird dude? And then kneeing him in the gut?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of horrible indie games that I love, but ZC was not one of them. Interesting world and art direction, horrible handling and gameplay. First Person Melee games just don't do it for me.

Decoy on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know a game I would like to see get a discount? Prototype. That's one that has never seen a sale that I remember (atleast not a significant one) and a game I've been interested in since release. The chances aren't looking good though since it isn't even on sale now. Shame really.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Decoy wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of horrible indie games that I love, but ZC was not one of them. Interesting world and art direction, horrible handling and gameplay. First Person Melee games just don't do it for me.
    I'm deep enough in that I can't even understand how a person would not like melee in Zeno Clash. So snappy. So rewarding.

And the art was incredible.

Monger on
    edited June 2010
    I'm hoping for Borderlands myself.

And Bioshock, since I missed out on the EA sale.

Zerokku on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been on something of an Uncharted stint recently, so I'd like to see the newest Tomb Raider go on sale. Shame about the next one looking like some kind of crappy arcade game.

Darlan on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Bioshock 2 was $15 on the first day, if you missed it.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited June 2010
    Not too interested in Bioshock 2 actually. Played through em both on 360, but would love the first on PC.

Zerokku on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not too interested in Bioshock 2 actually. Played through em both on 360, but would love the first on PC.

That one was on sale for $5 last Christmas (I think), so if it doesn't show up now, your chances are good later.

Vi Monks on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    BTW, for those looking to jump into X-Com, I recommend checking out a Let's Play on youtube of it before you get started (or at least a few videos of one to understand the basics). It's an awesome game but it's pretty complex and easy to get overwhelmed with options when you don't quite know what you are doing.

This is good advice.

Great advice is to check out Fishman's Epic X-Com LP, on hiatus while the Director enjoys a little futball in South Africa but soon to return...

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »

That one was on sale for $5 last Christmas (I think), so if it doesn't show up now, your chances are good later.

Yarr, it's been $5 a couple times, I think.

Dehumanized on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Yarr, it's been $5 a couple times, I think.

Yeah, that one seems to be a pretty popular sale (think it has been discounted in the last few major sales like this + a few times as weekend sales). I'd be really surprised if it doesn't show up again this time.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I can buy the 3 good X-COM games, avoid the 2 bad ones, and save $0.02.

Eh, for a penny each, why not just get them?

Doctor Detroit on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

You gotta wonder what the developers of those games think knowing their game selling for a penny. Hah. Probably, "Sweet, a penny more than I made yesterday. Too bad it goes to the ex-wife."

Decoy on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, I was only going to pick up Terror from the Deep (since I have the original), but I figure, it's like an extra dollar to get the whole pack. Might as well get all of them.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited June 2010

They're really, really awful. I've got the pack and I've considered contacting Steam support to get them removed from my games list.

Dehumanized on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kal wrote: »
    You know a game I would like to see get a discount? Prototype. That's one that has never seen a sale that I remember (atleast not a significant one) and a game I've been interested in since release. The chances aren't looking good though since it isn't even on sale now. Shame really.

I got it for practically free and I still was dissapointed with it, its just not a good game.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Should I buy the XCOM pack y/n?

Never played XCOM before if it helps.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

They're really, really awful. I've got the pack and I've considered contacting Steam support to get them removed from my games list.

I'm sure that in some parallel universe, Enforcer doesn't make me hate it.

RoyceSraphim on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As a note, Interceptor is mediocre in every sense of the word.

Enforcer is just bad.

MechMantis on
  • IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes, especially if you have any interest in turn-based strategy games. X-Com: UFO Defense is one of the best games ever made.

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I think it was the whole "wow this is so wacky and surreal" and the fact that it was first-person melee combat.

I thought the first person melee combat was interesting, but I would have liked it a lot more if it didn't have lockon. The whole setting, while interesting, wasn't enough to carry the weak narrative and voice acting though.

So yeah, kinda meh.

You know I got all the way up to mother without realizing that there was lock on and enjoyed the hell out of that game.

True story

BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Icey wrote: »

Yes, especially if you have any interest in turn-based strategy games. X-Com: UFO Defense is one of the best games ever made.

Can't go wrong for 2 quid really. Bought.

Sounds like Enforcer and Interceptor are the ginger stepchildren of the series. Best to start with UFO Defense?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

But Bioshock isn't from EA. It's from 2K.

Peewi on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any pick up APB? I am very tempted after watching some of the gameplay vids.

projectmayhem on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Sounds like Enforcer and Interceptor are the ginger stepchildren of the series. Best to start with UFO Defense?

best to forget you even downloaded those 2, all you really need is ufo defense.

also be prepared to have the game punch you in the balls over and over again. it is really for masochists.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited June 2010

Yep, UFO Defense. Check out ufopaedia.org for hints. Enforcer and Interceptor aren't even in the same genre as the three main games. From there, UFO Defense is the purest form of the game. Apocalypse goes from being about worldwide defense to city defense (which works well in some ways, not as great in others). Terror from the Deep is a reskin of UFO Defense with balls hard difficulty -- mind you, UFO Defense is not an easy game to begin with.

Dehumanized on
  • WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    just to reiterate again for those who havent played xcom..

it is the epitome of turn based strategy games. best of the best.

only play ufo defense, or terror from the deep.

ufo: if you like having a game kick you in the nuts, even on easy.
    terror: if you like having the game remove you testicles, set them on fire, then douse them in acid, re-attach them, and repeatedly kick them till you pass out.

if you really are a masochist, or just like to lose, TftD: hardest mode. its like trying to stop a tank with a nail file.. if you are REALLY good and REALLY patient, could possibly be done without getting run over.. but everyone will just look at you wierd.

Wyked on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

best to forget you even downloaded those 2, all you really need is ufo defense.

also be prepared to have the game punch you in the balls over and over again. it is really for masochists.

When you think about playing enforcer, just play Serious Sam instead. When you think about playing interceptor, go get freespace 2

RoyceSraphim on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

So yeah, kinda meh.

Pretty much. Once you got over the fact it was so surreal nothing made sense you started to look for something else to make it interesting. And the repetitive combat and frustrating guns weren't it. I thought the ending was a bit anti-climactic too.

If nothing else I applaud their creativity, it's good to see people experimenting with ideas even if they don't always work out. I did laugh at the guy who walked everywhere in a straight line because "that's just what he did".

Casual on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any pick up APB? I am very tempted after watching some of the gameplay vids.

There's a thread about it in the MMO sub-forum.

Peewi on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    how's this osmos game

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still can't quite understand how the Liberty City Episodes are available in my region, but GTA4 itself isn't.

I mean, I don't even want it that much, but for $5 I would've gotten it just to see what the deal is all about.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.