As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Entering a Dead release zone, Duration ~3 months.

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm still not so sure about this "split SCII into three chunks" thing since I'm not so big on RTS multiplayer, but we'll see.
    Each chunk is allegedly as big as the original Starcraft, so if that's true then this person who isn't so big on RTS multiplayer will be happy.
    Right, it's more the multi ppl that were pissed about it.
    Why is that? Can't you play as all three races in multiplayer from the get-go?
    Basically needing to buy the subsequent...things, to have access to all the units in multi. More specifically whether or not 2/3 are expansion pricing or fulle game pricing.
    Ugh that does sound pretty bad. Then again, people go ga ga over SSFIV, so maybe it'll go over well.

Battle Chest. Anyone that buys SCII out of the gate is a big silly goose (and isn't intending to use the MP portion).

I intend to revel in SCII three years from now, when the inevitable battle chest comes around.

wait...

what

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    Y'all are forgetting something.

141990e.jpg

It's on Undead's list. Right near the top.

Anyways portable games in the next three months worth possbly looking into:

PSP

VC2
    KH:BBS
    Ace Combat:Silly subtitle
    Patapon 3
    Persona 3
    Phantasy Star Portable 2

DS

DQ IX
    Trackmania
    Dawn of Heroes
    Yet another Harvest Moon game
    Dawn of Heroes
    Monster Rancher DS
    Layton 3
    EO III

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still not so sure about this "split SCII into three chunks" thing since I'm not so big on RTS multiplayer, but we'll see.
    Each chunk is allegedly as big as the original Starcraft, so if that's true then this person who isn't so big on RTS multiplayer will be happy.
    Basically needing to buy the subsequent...things, to have access to all the units in multi. More specifically whether or not 2/3 are expansion pricing or fulle game pricing.
    Ugh that does sound pretty bad. Then again, people go ga ga over SSFIV, so maybe it'll go over well.

Battle Chest. Anyone that buys SCII out of the gate is a big silly goose (and isn't intending to use the MP portion).

I intend to revel in SCII three years from now, when the inevitable battle chest comes around.

I uh... Think you have that backwards.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Anyone who plans on playing MP is going to get this right out of the gate, otherwise they'll find themselves up against people with three years of dedicated experience in multiplayer when they finally play the bloody thing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    no guys post-pone the proleague the game isn't even done yet *huff*!

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's what I get for Ctrl+F'ing and not reading spoilers.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Could you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    Y'all are forgetting something.

Trackmania Wii

That was the second entry on my list. :P
    It's on Undead's list. Right near the top.

That's what I get for using Ctrl+F and not reading spoilers.

Edit: WTF?! I edited, not quoted! Sorry for that DP.

Edit 2: How's that?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait wait what? Blazblue is out next month!? I haven't been following that at all

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone who plans on playing MP is going to get this right out of the gate, otherwise they'll find themselves up against people with three years of dedicated experience in multiplayer when they finally play the bloody thing.
    To be fair, with a game like this there's no chance in hell you'll actually be competitive if you have any other obligations whatsoever anyways. People are crazy about Starcraft. Waiting for the battle chest seems like a good idea to me.

Darlan on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I acknowledged that. :P

For my purposes, though, SC, and really, all Blizzard games have been grade A single player titles. The MP is just a bonus to screw around with.

I'm actually pretty psyched about it, and I think in the next 3 years, my brain might just explode trying to avoid spoilers and further hype. Two more hype-cycles to sit through before a battle chest. This one is going to be a nail biter.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    After Crackdown 2 that's pretty much it for me until like...probably October or so

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You must have typo'd then. You said that people who buy it day one AREN'T going to use it for multiplayer.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Holy shit, Crackdown 2 comes out in a week?

My expectations for this game just went downhill.

I assume you were hoping they'd improve things over the demo?

Honestly, I'm not seeing much improvement over the first game, but more of the same with a few tweaks is ok with me.

There's a demo?

I'm seriously behind on this game. The reason I thought this would suck is because I usually see previews and hype articles, this kind of came out of left field.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Holy shit, Crackdown 2 comes out in a week?

My expectations for this game just went downhill.

I assume you were hoping they'd improve things over the demo?

Honestly, I'm not seeing much improvement over the first game, but more of the same with a few tweaks is ok with me.

There's a demo?

I'm seriously behind on this game. The reason I thought this would suck is because I usually see previews and hype articles, this kind of came out of left field.

Yes

And if you liked Crackdown 1, you'll probably like 2

It's pretty fun

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

You must have typo'd then. You said that people who buy it day one AREN'T going to use it for multiplayer.

Yeah, poor placement on my part, because I edited that in after hitting post. It should have read:

"Battle Chest. Anyone that buys SCII out of the gate (and isn't intending to use the MP portion) is a big silly goose."

My bad.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All I could think when I saw this title is. 'How am I going to afford all the games I want in the next three months?'

Starcraft 2
    Blaz Blue
    Crackdown 2
    APB

And as many have said, the tons of steam/iphone games I will be buying.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Civilization V

Seriously, come September, and I'll have a lot of, "Wait, what did I do this week?"

piL on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh shit, new Spider-Man. Please, please, don't suck.

Did you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoEbXJSFfQE

It looks dreadful.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Summer is usually synonymous with replaying old Final Fantasy's for me, but I'm still prestige-ing in Modern Warfare 2.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Oh shit, new Spider-Man. Please, please, don't suck.

Did you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoEbXJSFfQE

It looks dreadful.

Ugh

I knew it would be bad (Beenox), but wow

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Noir and 2099 stuff actually looks fun.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Summer is usually synonymous with replaying old Final Fantasy's for me, but I'm still prestige-ing in Modern Warfare 2.

Only on Playstation 3™?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll be collecting orbs in Crackdown 2 for a good few days, still got Alan Wake to finish (and start) too.

Of course there are the legend ranks in Blur to work through too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Goddamn, Alan Wake is killing me

I'm really interested in the story but the game is the absolute biggest chore to play through

I'm this close to just reading a plot summary and selling the game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Even if they are expansion priced, expansion prices haven't been stable as of late. Blizzard used to charge $35 for a expansion, and since WoW, it's gone up to $40.

That's $140 for a full SC2 in that case.

It doesn't matter if it's $40 or $340. What matters in the $/hr of entertainment cost. People don't bitch about paying $60 for 10hours worth of God of War 3. Yet $15/month where they play 120hours worth of an MMO is unacceptable.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm really interested in the story but the game is the absolute biggest chore to play through

That doesn't exactly make me want to jump into it D:

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Edit: And I know that they've said the Wings of Liberty campaign will be as big as SC1, but I'm really skeptical about that. Besides, switching perspectives was a big part of the fun.

I don't get this. When has Blizzard ever shipped a game/expansion that was incomplete or not worth the money? And when have they stopped making excelent games?

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

That doesn't exactly make me want to jump into it D:

It's a good game. UV reacts violently, both positively and negatively, to most games.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How is that a violent reaction at all?

There is one aspect of it that is so good that I am suffering through a game I would have otherwise put down

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How is that a violent reaction at all?

There is one aspect of it that is so good that I am suffering through a game I would have otherwise put down

Because you use words like "suffering" when describing playing a game. You tend to be dramatic.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you are continuing to play a game you do not enjoy, I would call that suffering

Just like watching a film you don't enjoy

Or having to listen to music you don't enjoy

Only this one is a neat exception because when it's all said and done I might have a pretty cool story at the end to make it all worth it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually, you have a pretty cool story the whole way through, AND a fun game to tie it all together.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    alset85 wrote: »

I don't get this. When has Blizzard ever shipped a game/expansion that was incomplete or not worth the money? And when have they stopped making excelent games?
    Well, obviously personal preferences come into this but my answer is "about six years ago." Blizzard, and the industry as a whole, has changed a lot since SC1. Maybe it'll be a good deal, I'm just suspicious of it, that's all.

Darlan on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    alset85 wrote: »

Edit: And I know that they've said the Wings of Liberty campaign will be as big as SC1, but I'm really skeptical about that. Besides, switching perspectives was a big part of the fun.

I don't get it either. So far they haven't released a title that'd disappointed me (not interested in WoW, but that's different), and everything I've seen of the SP campaign looks awesome and several bars above what most other devs even attempt for a singleplayer RTS campaign.

subedii on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well heres the thing about SC2...

While im sure it will be great, Didnt you ever start playing the terran campaign and get so far in it and realize 'while this is fun, It does get a little old starting over with the same building and repeating the build up until i beat this level.....lets take a break from terran and try zerg.'. Or maybe 'wow...whatever the hell the protoss just used on me, i want to try myself'.

Sure you can do that in multi, but unless your really good at these kinds of games its hard to just randomly jump on battlenet and enjoy a game when the other player rushes you or whatever strat of the month is. It basically makes playing casually impossible so the single player is the casual gamers game. When thats all human only you feel a little screwed out of the experience. You might get more of what you want later...for another 99.99 (collectors) a year later but that doesnt make you feel any less abused no matter how long the human campaign is.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well heres the thing about SC2...

While im sure it will be great, Didnt you ever start playing the terran campaign and get so far in it and realize 'while this is fun, It does get a little old starting over with the same building and repeating the build up until i beat this level.....lets take a break from terran and try zerg.'. Or maybe 'wow...whatever the hell the protoss just used on me, i want to try myself'.

Sure you can do that in multi, but unless your really good at these kinds of games its hard to just randomly jump on battlenet and enjoy a game when the other player rushes you or whatever strat of the month is. It basically makes playing casually impossible so the single player is the casual gamers game. When thats all human only you feel a little screwed out of the experience. You might get more of what you want later...for another 99.99 (collectors) a year later but that doesnt make you feel any less abused no matter how long the human campaign is.

Up until the last couple missions, you kept getting new units and abilities; the entire Terran campaign will be like that, with tons of units that won't be available in multiplayer.

Additionally, levels in Brood War through in new mechanics and scenerios to spice things up. With collectables, unlockables and secondary objectives, I don't see myself getting bored of just having a Terran campaign. Especially since I'm primarily playing the campaign for the story, anyway.

Also, there's a protoss mini-campaign too.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    'while this is fun, It does get a little old starting over with the same building and repeating the build up until i beat this level

Well it's a good thing no campaign level in SC2 will be just traditional base building. Every map is a different scenario with objectives etc. and it has the Wing Commander style in-between missions with upgrades and free form travel. And on the other hand what modern RTS had a campaigns with multiple factions? CoH didn't, DoW2 didn't WiC didn't so trends have changed since Starcraft.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    MonarchMonarch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The campaign version will have a tree that lets you choose which mission you go to next, which will allow for a different unit, or open up a side story, etc. Say you have beaten missions 1 and 2, and now you can go to one mission that unlocks firebats, OR a different mission that will unlock Hellions (new to SC2 ..vehicle firebat). Whichever way you go, will alter how the story forms (probably to the same ultimate end).

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

My computer use and advice blog:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
    View and comment please! Thanks!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not saying that blizzard isnt working to make it less painful. I just know from past experiences (C&C, Warcraft, Starcraft, Red Alert, lots of other RTS) that while yes you get that one neat new unit every level, thats not to say every one of them will fit your playstyle or be enjoyable to you. A break from one area to the next is all im saying that would be nice. Not to mention, youve said it yourself. There will be units available only in single player? why?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum