As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World in Conflict [this game is pretty great]

2»

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know, I just realized that I never played through the Soviet campaign after buying this on Steam last year. Guess I should correct that.

I originally got the collector's edition which came with a piece of the Berlin Wall. Pretty neat.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, same here. It's a slight upgrade from the typical tchotchkes you get with collector's edition.

I'm just very disappointed that modding hasn't caught on with the game, especially compared to CoH. So much potential.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you really got this thing about coh don't you?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

What can I say, Company of Heroes is awesome. It's got excellent visuals, an enormous amount of personality, and some of the best audio I've ever seen in any RTS. It is also a fundamentally different type of RTS than WiC. :P

I'm more saddened by the lack of success with modding WiC though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

What can I say, Company of Heroes is awesome. It's got excellent visuals, an enormous amount of personality, and some of the best audio I've ever seen in any RTS. It is also a fundamentally different type of RTS than WiC. :P

That's....great

but what about WiC?

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's....great

but what about WiC?

We've....already talked about WiC. The visuals, the story, the different method of gameplay than most RTS.

Next you'll be claiming it was underrated somehow.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    not as underrated as that CoH though remember that game it was pretty great!!

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It was. :D

Synthesis on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have to echo the sentiments in this thread, WiC was fantastic although I played it on a buddy's computer since mine couldn't handle it and I haven't played Soviet Assault at all. I wonder what Massive is working on these days.

Also, Synthesis that thread in your sig is all kinds of terribad. People dissing video game stories in a Star Wars thread.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Massive hasn't said what they're working on these days. At least they're not dead!

Edit: From their site: Ubisoft Massive is looking for a talented Level Designer to join the creative MMORPG team in Malmö, Sweden. Apply now!

Well, this may be interesting.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    Also, Synthesis that thread in your sig is all kinds of terribad. People dissing video game stories in a Star Wars thread.

That's what it's there for. But it doesn't even compare to the whole "anti-Jedi bias" rant that inspired it, trust me. That wasn't satirical.

Yeah, the game's visuals come at a pretty steep price--especially once you get more then two players on the screen, the mayhem really sucks away at your framerate if you can't handle it (it was also one of the very early DX10 games, if I remember correctly). Forget about things like the tactical nuke or high textures then.

EDIT: So, Massive isn't dead? That's a surprise.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They got bought up by Ubisoft after Sierra folded or Vivendi dumped them or whatever it was that happened.

Arrath on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MMORPG is the acronym that kills 90% of my interest instantly . The other 10% is there in case something slightly different from the sea of clones(heh) comes out. But the chances of that happening under Ubisoft are nil.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Great game on single player I absolutly loved it, not really interested in taking it online thugh. Firstly it's already been said that the community is terrible, secondly what made the single player so fun was the scripted scenes that allowed you to really open up with artilery and air strikes.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Maybe it'll be a WiC sequel! With... persistent online personas that level and gain abilities!..

Or, a wow clone. :(

Arrath on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I actually tried playing online a few years ago. I was terrible at it, but I think this was before the community had become a bunch of assholes.

SteevL on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Maybe it'll be a WiC sequel! With... persistent online personas that level and gain abilities!..

Or, a wow clone. :(
    The ironing is that Petroglyph is working on an MMORTS called End of Nations, which sounds exactly like that.

I don't know why Ubisoft dropped the franchise because it would have been a better fit for the consoles than that Tom Clancy RTS game.

FreddyD on