As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Zerokku wrote: »
    I'm hoping for Borderlands myself.

And Bioshock, since I missed out on the EA sale.

But Bioshock isn't from EA. It's from 2K.

Huh. Forgot. For some reason I was thinking it was EA.

Edit: Dead Space was one of the EA games I wanted and Missed out on.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm hoping for Borderlands myself.

And Bioshock, since I missed out on the EA sale.

But Bioshock isn't from EA. It's from 2K.

Sadly so is X-Com now... and guess what game the new "XCOM" title seems to be ripping off?!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nothing I'm really interested in today

Street Fighter IV on the PC is probably dead as a doornail with the release of Super

Osmos seems neat but it also seems to have the same structure as a web based flash game, so I'll pass

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    how's this osmos game

Worth it if you want some disposable pseudo-puzzly physics-y gaming. It's not generally terribly hard, but there is a level or two that are really stupid and I'm not sure I ever bothered beating them. A few different modes that spread out as you go down them. You can randomize levels for replay, but really I didn't find a lot of reason to do that.

Basically $2.49 is about right. Good game, just short and not really engaging enough to bring you back for more.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    thanks. I like how it looks enough that I think I'll go for it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    how's this osmos game

Entertaining and a touch mesmerizing. Good music, or so I'm told.

Effectively a puzzle game, though some levels require less thought and more twitch.

If something is bigger than you, stay away; if smaller, touch it and you'll add its mass to yours. This makes you move slower. Movement costs mass, and always seemed a touch finicky to me - like a trick that I'm just not understanding.

Levels tend to be short, which helps. Aggravating when you get just a little bit too small and can't continue.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another day unscathed, oh wait, is that Arma II on sale? Damnit. I passed on it previously because it ran like a slide show on my previous graphics card. I guess I'll get the demo again and see how it plays now.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Surprised how fast GTAIV is downloading given how the rest of my downloads have been.

11.5GB already downloaded. Average about 1.8mbps

Zerokku on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SF4 is on my "...I just may get it..." list. I can't (stand to) play fighting games on a controller. For me, it's arcade stick, or nothing. I don't have a modern console (although I plan on getting a PS3 or 360 sometime in the next year or so), and I don't play fighters enough to justify buying new arcade sticks. I have functional arcade sticks for the PC, so if I'm ever gonna play SF4, it'll probably be on the PC.

Or I'll just stick to my old fighting games, and the huge pile of joysticks (at least 2 for each of Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, XBox) I have tucked away in a closet somewhere.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I picked up SF4 on the PC a while back ago and its just as good as the console versions. Given I have fightsticks for use with my PC. As far as the community goes, well, since SSF4 isnt on PC yet I would think there would a decent amount of people.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Osmos is lovely. Really pretty relaxed game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Phew, I think I can make it through another day of sales. I can't believe theres still so many left.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LewieP wrote: »

But it just looks so much like a fre-to-play flash game on some website. Heck, I'm pretty sure it used to be one.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

But it just looks so much like a fre-to-play flash game on some website. Heck, I'm pretty sure it used to be one.

I can't imagine it feels as good on a flash game.

It does the brilliant zoomy zoomy scale thing that some games do, and it maps to your scroll wheel. Feels really good.

It is really fun to play. There is a feature where it lets you carry on playing a level even after you have finished it. I find myself using that all the time, even thought there is no advantage to doing it, and I normally play games really quickly.

LewieP on
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    too bad there's no sales of sins of a solar empire anywhere
    i played a friend's copy and loved it that game was awesome

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Another £1.74 gone. Thanks Lewie!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's a Stardock game, steam will never have it. It has gone on sale on Impulse.

captaink on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It was on sale for recently for $2 or something, along with Gal Civ 2

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Another day unscathed, oh wait, is that Arma II on sale? Damnit. I passed on it previously because it ran like a slide show on my previous graphics card. I guess I'll get the demo again and see how it plays now.

The demo has NOT been updated with the VAST improvements they have made to the engine and basically does not represent the game at all. Also, don't buy ArmA II, because the expansion just came out and if you buy it + the expansion ArmA II only costs $10 (vs the $20 it costs on sale).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What does the expansion do.... is it essentially necessary for multipayer as all the people still playing multiplayer will be playing whatever is on that expansion?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I can't imagine it feels as good on a flash game.

It does the brilliant zoomy zoomy scale thing that some games do, and it maps to your scroll wheel. Feels really good.

It is really fun to play. There is a feature where it lets you carry on playing a level even after you have finished it. I find myself using that all the time, even thought there is no advantage to doing it, and I normally play games really quickly.

Doesn't seem to be working right for me. I keep getting a flash with loads of writing all jumbled every couple of seconds. It appears full screen for a fraction of a second and then goes back to the game. I think II made out a 'Thank You For Playing'?

edit: FIXED! Dev FAQ states
    Some players running Osmos with AMD Athalon X2 processors have been experiencing strange flickering problems. To work around this, open the Windows Task Manager, right click on the osmos.exe process and set the affinity of the Osmos process to only one CPU (thanks to c_logic for the find).

Big Classy on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can anyone recommend a decent controller for the PC? I most likely will buy SF4, but I'd rather not KBAM it if I can avoid it. I've never considered needing one before so i've no idea...

Oh and GTA4; man what a deal!

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wired 360 pad is almost certainly your best option

LewieP on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How well does SF4 work with a stick over a d-pad?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wired 360 pad is almost certainly your best option

I got one and I love iit.

Also, Hi5 on Osmos. Love the game now I got it working. Shame I gotta go through setting cpu cores again each time I play but it's worth it.

GTAIV I really, really wanna get but I've got a dual core 2.1ghz machine and it jjust won't run.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GTAIV I really, really wanna get but I've got a dual core 2.1ghz machine and it jjust won't run.

Yeah, GTAIV would chew up your machine.

Unless you upgrade of course ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Yeah, GTAIV would chew up your machine.

Unless you upgrade of course ;-)

No such luck. It's a dell machine with dell mobo. Meaning dell BIOS. They're notorious for not updating their BIOS' to allow newer CPUs. I've already looked into it a while back. Settled on having to make a new PC later on this year.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whoops, just bought xcom and commandos.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How badly would GTAIV run on my comp?

2.4GHz dual-core Core i5
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTS 360M (1GB DDR5 Dedicated)

I'm not sure how the laptop i5 compares to the desktop i5, but a desktop i5 with a halfway decent graphics card should run GTAIV just fine. The game is mostly dependent on the CPU (and it loves quad cores).

It will most likely run with little issue...no guarantees you'll be able to run it at native res though.

Installed, and it plays fine, Glad I didn't waste $5 on something I couldn't play. And it looks great, nice and smooth.

Except for the jaggies. God this game could use some more AA.

Still can't believe I managed to download 15GB in only 3 hours with the servers being the way they've been.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So about GTA4, I remember that ENB guy pitched a fit when it was patched when TfLC came out, and said that he was done. But 2 more versions came out, do those work with the current steam version, or are they just mods on the older version?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    So about GTA4, I remember that ENB guy pitched a fit when it was patched when TfLC came out, and said that he was done. But 2 more versions came out, do those work with the current steam version, or are they just mods on the older version?

Heh, I was just researching the same thing. I'll let you know if I find anything.

@Zerokku ENB series is a modification for GTAIV that allows you to use better quality lighting, effects and post processing like SSOA and Anti Aliasing. It can really chew through even the beefiest of systems though.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How badly would GTAIV run on my comp?

2.4GHz dual-core Core i5
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTS 360M (1GB DDR5 Dedicated)

I'm not sure how the laptop i5 compares to the desktop i5, but a desktop i5 with a halfway decent graphics card should run GTAIV just fine. The game is mostly dependent on the CPU (and it loves quad cores).

It will most likely run with little issue...no guarantees you'll be able to run it at native res though.

Installed, and it plays fine, Glad I didn't waste $5 on something I couldn't play. And it looks great, nice and smooth.

Except for the jaggies. God this game could use some more AA.

Still can't believe I managed to download 15GB in only 3 hours with the servers being the way they've been.

Yeah i had a solid 2 meg down when i was dl'ing L4D2. Perhaps now that we are 5 days in and nothing super great has hit for a couple days things quieted down slightly.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The demo has NOT been updated with the VAST improvements they have made to the engine and basically does not represent the game at all. Also, don't buy ArmA II, because the expansion just came out and if you buy it + the expansion ArmA II only costs $10 (vs the $20 it costs on sale).

Where are you seeing it cost $10?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every time there's a daily sale that doesn't interest me, I feel like they're saving up for something on a later date that will decimate my wallet.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33930/

If you buy ARMA2: Combined Operations it comes with the expansion (retail $40) and the base game ($20 on sale) for $50. Essentially, you buy the expansion at full price and the base game for $10.

edit: prices corrected whoooops

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you buy ARMA2: Combined Operations it comes with the expansion (retail $30) and the base game ($20 on sale) for $40. Essentially, you buy the expansion at full price and the base game for $10.

I'm seeing both the expansion and the combined pack at $10 more than what you're saying...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you buy ARMA2: Combined Operations it comes with the expansion (retail $30) and the base game ($20 on sale) for $40. Essentially, you buy the expansion at full price and the base game for $10.

Operation Arrowhead is $40, buying it with ARMA II in the pack is $50, thus the original game is $10 in the pack, rather than $20 individually.

Babble on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Babble wrote: »

Operation Arrowhead is $40, buying it with ARMA II in the pack is $50, thus the original game is $10 in the pack, rather than $20 individually.

Ohhhh i read it as "combined you can get it for $10" and i went hunting all excited.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another lackluster day. At least my wallet (and wife) are grateful.

Also, holy hell this thread moves fast. Last I checked we were still in the 80s on the last thread...

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Another lackluster day. At least my wallet (and wife) are grateful.

Also, holy hell this thread moves fast. Last I checked we were still in the 80s on the last thread...

At this rate we'll burn through another thread before the end...especially if we get some bigger name sales
    *Hey Steam, that's your cue*

CarbonFire on
This discussion has been closed.