As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The perfect sauce

i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For years I've been trying to find and create an outstanding sauce to use mostly for lo mein recipes but possibly for just about anything else I want to taste delicious. The biggest factor I'm looking for is sweetness with a hint of saltiness. Anyone have any good recipes or suggestions?

Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i n c u b u s on

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like to use Bulldog on my noodles (yakisoba, ramen, etc) or rice. Might match what you are looking for, as it is fairly sweet (not too much on the salt flavor, though). You might be able to find it in an international market with a decent Japanese section, or, as you can see, you can also order it from Amazon.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What do you use in your current sauce?

For the slightly sweet but sharp taste, I use mirin + soy sauce along with scallions, ginger and garlic.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I use soy sauce, noodle base, sugar, chicken broth, sesame oil, and ginger. It just needs something to take it over the top.

i n c u b u s on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CathodeCathode Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What kind of sugar are you using? If you're using white sugar or powdered sugar, try using brown sugar instead, or even honey if that doesn't do it for you.

Cathode on
    "There is enough light to enlighten the elect, and enough darkness to humble them."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I mix it up from time to time with white and brown.

i n c u b u s on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could try a little molasses. A little goes a long way, but it definitely kicks a sauce up.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could add some hoisin sauce to the final dish; to me it has that slightly sweet w/ a hit of savory saltiness covered pretty well.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EDIT: I guess it is Teriyaki sauce. It's sweet and salty and delicious.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chop some hot peppers and/or fine chopped garlic.

streever on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've found frying the sugar/vinegar before everything else makes for a great taste.

Have you ever thought about using a different soy sauce? There are a bunch of different ones out there and personally, a sweet or dark soy sauce might be what you're looking for.

The hoison sauce is a good idea as would using oyster sauce.

Also, try making the sauce seperate and then mixing it with the noodles/stir fry.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'm clear about the sugar. When making a sauce, I fry all the ingredients in some oil and I start with the sugar/vinegar. If I'm using garlic/chives, I would pour the sauce into a seperate bowl containing them. There really isnt a need to cook them in the sauce directly, it'll kill the flavor.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    You could add some hoisin sauce to the final dish; to me it has that slightly sweet w/ a hit of savory saltiness covered pretty well.
    I agree. Hoisin is nicely sweet and tangy. If you wanted a bit more salt flavour you could even cross it with some soy sauce.

Entriech on