As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beeps during video.

JimothyJimothy Not in front of the foxhe's with the owlRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My brother and I are recording a video of ourselves using my sister's Mac (neither of us are familiar with Macs). The problem was that when we reviewed each take, there would often be unwanted noise in the background.

First there was this very noticeable crackling, but checking the "reduce ambient noise" box fixed that.

But we still can't get rid of this light beeping. We don't know if it's something in the house or something that's wrong with the computer. Any insight?

Jimothy on

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it a high-pitched noise, very quiet but still noticeable? You might have a ground loop, which deals with electricity and is common on laptops.

The easiest way to fix it is to buy a ground-lifter at Lowe's or Home Depot for 50¢. Also called a 3-to-2 prong adapter. Obviously grounding your laptop is a good idea most of the time, but for recording either run it off the battery or lift the ground. If that's what the problem is.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is how I would describe the noise, yes. You think taking out the cord would help? I'll try that.

Jimothy on