As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Podcast Recommendations

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Like the title says, I'm looking for some recommended gaming podcasts to listen to. I used to listen to GiantBomb, but word of mouth says they aren't worth listening to anymore.

So, just waiting for recommendations. Whatever is interesting and/or funny.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    joshgotro on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Giant Bomb not worth listening to anymore? I heartily disagree.

SteevL on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Giant Bombcast remains tops

You heard wrong, Professor

UnbreakableVow on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HG101's done some good ones, if you're into niche stuff.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/

Among them was a podcast on the Master System and game localization(a great listen).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nah, it was just their E3 show that sucked. But that's because all livecasts suck, ones with alcohol doubly so.

I like Gamers with Jobs, they actually (occasionally) cover things other than the current big AAA game. Like board games!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Link please.

joshgotro on
    edited June 2010
    www.gamerswithjobs.com, but I get my podcasts through itunes anyway

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Joystiq podcast is really good.

Word of mouth was also wrong.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Nah, it was just their E3 show that sucked. But that's because all livecasts suck, ones with alcohol doubly so.

I like Gamers with Jobs, they actually (occasionally) cover things other than the current big AAA game. Like board games!

Ah, makes sense.

In that case, which podcast had the best post-E3 show? That's a topic I really want to hear about now.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited June 2010
    The first two days of the E3 Bombcast were great

The third was absolute chaos, which I enjoyed, but most didn't

UnbreakableVow on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The third was absolute chaos, which I enjoyed, but most didn't
    The problem is that they didn't have Craig this year. The dude from Capcom. Also that someone should legally prohibit Leigh Alexander from drinking.

Monger on
    edited June 2010
    NEVER stop Leigh Alexander from drinking

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes I don't even know what's wrong with you.

It's something.

Hell if I know what.

Monger on
    edited June 2010
    Leigh Alexander will be so drunk at our wedding reception

UnbreakableVow on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You heard wrong about Giant Bomb. They’re still my favourite gaming podcast.

I like 4Guys1Up now that Ray is the one doing it.
    Retronauts is as entertaining as ever.
    Idle Thumbs is great whenever it comes out.
    Nintendo World Radio is pretty good.
    A Life Well Wasted is fantastic when it comes out, which is really, really rare.
    I quite like the Rock Paper Shotgun’s podcast too.
    Irrational Games’ podcast is really entertaining for what it is, which is only kinda sorta about gaming.

And that’s about it for me. I’ll edit in links after I’ve finished work.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • MiserydaysMiserydays Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've really grown to like weekend confirmed , it's a good 2 hour audio only podcast.
    I also enjoy G4's feedback mostly because they tend to get gaming news a little bit before most people and because I enjoy Adam Sessler.

Miserydays on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Giantbomb is still my favorite podcast, by a wide margin. The 4th E3 podcast this year (Day 3, since Day 0 counts as one) was pretty much a huge bummer, but I enjoyed Day 2 and the others. Leigh Alexander shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Bombcast again though, jesus christ. I was all for giving her another shot after last year, but boy was I wrong.

The normal Bombcasts are still dynamite though, anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not really gaming related. But you should be listening to the Bugle.

Dehumanized on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Idle Thumbs is my favorite gaming podcast. Their release schedule is really sporadic these days, but the back catalog is fully worth listening to.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You should also listen to You Look Nice Today. It's comical. And Coverville. It's musical. And the CHUD Show. It's insane...ical.

And the Bombcast.

Medium Dave on
  • chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Electric Hydra is pretty decent if you enjoyed Podtoid or Podcastle (from Destructoid.) It's just the old crew shotting the breeze.

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The old Computer Gaming World/Games for Windows podcasts are still worth listening to if 1up still hosts them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I tried listening to the PC gamer podcast for a few episodes, but it is so dull. There is some guy on there that makes a lame joke about everything, and fails on the delivery every time. I guess you could say they are going on authenticity because they sound pretty social inept during the recording.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The first two days of the E3 Bombcast were great

The third was absolute chaos, which I enjoyed
    , but most didn't

It got a little overwhelming (and the HONK HONK HONKing traffic outside their room didn't help) at times, but it was still fun. If you are looking for SRS BSNS E3 NEWZ, the 3rd podcast isn't it. They did cover new stuff, but they went off on half a billion tangents. It was a super fun listen.

EDIT: Geez, I didn't realize you guys all hated fun. Leigh Alexander is hilarious in a completely obnox - Ohhhh. I got halfway through typing that, but now I get it. She was obnoxious, and loud, and interrupted people at every turn, etc. And I thought it was a great time. Maybe because I have friends who are similar when drunk? I don't know. It was still a fun listen.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Giant Bomb's Bombcast
    Joystiq (especially after the amazing production they have now)
    Gamers with Jobs (except for RabbitCons, they are awful).

IdleThumbs is the best though. It is simply the best gaming podcast and one of my favorite podcasts of all. Unfortunately, they seem to make a new episode when they feel like it and have time. BTW, these guys work in the industry.

Also, Irrational Games has a great podcast. Best production of any podcast, unfortunately, they are always less than a half hour. They tell a great story though. It is modeled after NPR's This American Life, and they do a great job.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only thing I don't like about GB is that if Gerstman does not like a topic then he shoots it down and they have to change it.

That and Brads love for achievements.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The main issue with the Bombcast is that, being a small group of people and covering multiple formats, and with a pretty large percentage of time being devoted to non-game related stuff, it can be frustrating when you're locked into a 1/2 hour section that has absolutely nothing of interest to you. It also means that it's not a viable way of keeping up with every release, just the super-big ones and whatever they happen to stumble across.

Radio Free Nintendo is just really well put together, with people who know what they're talking about and enough banter and good editing that it never becomes dry. It's multi-format, but focusing on the Wii and DS - the only time you'll hear people talking about Fragile Dreams is here, for example.

Rock Paper Shotgun and the PC Gamer UK podcasts are both excellent if informal for the PC, and frequently have a large overlap in participants (people from the latter work for/used to work for the former). They're both pretty irregular and short, though.

Bioptic on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not really gaming related. But you should be listening to the Bugle.

Yougottawanna on
    edited June 2010
    The only thing I don't like about GB is that if Gerstman does not like a topic then he shoots it down and they have to change it.

That and Brads love for achievements.

What's wrong with Achievements?

UnbreakableVow on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MaximumPC podcast is good coming from the hardware side of things. They've been going through a bit of a staff shuffle the last month or two, but the content is still there.

Mugsley on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Giant Bomb is only difficult to listen to for me when a new music game comes out, because they talk endlessly about Rock Band, Beatles Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and all those other games. I can't for the life of me figure out how they manage to spit out so much gab about games that have the very definition of repetitive gameplay. That, coupled with the fact that I have ZERO interest in any kind of popular music, makes those sections tough to plow through.

Ceno on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Giant Bomb is only difficult to listen to for me when a new music game comes out, because they talk endlessly about Rock Band, Beatles Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and all those other games. I can't for the life of me figure out how they manage to spit out so much gab about games that have the very definition of repetitive gameplay. That, coupled with the fact that I have ZERO interest in any kind of popular music, makes those sections tough to plow through.

Because all of these games are unique in their own way

All the Rock Band 3 talk from them is absolutely warranted, as was the DJ Hero stuff.

They only spent a little bit of time on Beatles and Green Day, and GH barely warrants a mention from them anymore.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    Only time I really find the Bombcast hard to listen to is whenever they go on at length about a PC game, particularly anything having to do with (ugh) StarCraft II.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Rock Paper Shotgun and the PC Gamer UK podcasts are both excellent if informal for the PC, and frequently have a large overlap in participants (people from the latter work for/used to work for the former). They're both pretty irregular and short, though.
    I remember trying to listen to the RPS podcast once. Seemed great, but I found it a little hard to follow. Probably because they're so goddamn British and I'm a stupid Amurrcan.

edit:
    All the Rock Band 3 talk from them is absolutely warranted, as was the DJ Hero stuff.
    I don't really think there are a lot of games journalists that are as qualified to talk about music games as Jeff Gerstmann, so it's kind of important that he weigh in on them even if some of us aren't interested. Especially Defjam: Rapstar.

Monger on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why do you hate PCs so much, UV?

Mugsley on
    edited June 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Why do you hate PCs so much, UV?

The typical reasons console-only gamers don't like PC

That aside, most of the genres that are done a lot better on PC or even done at all (like FPS or RTS) are things that I have no interest in at all. Things like StarCraft make me want to fall asleep.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Bioptic wrote: »
    I remember trying to listen to the RPS podcast once. Seemed great, but I found it a little hard to follow. Probably because they're so goddamn British and I'm a stupid Amurrcan.

Yeah, I do appreciate the PCGUK and (to a lesser extent) RPS podcasts, but find that I have to focus all my attention to listen to them, rather than just playing it in the background while doing other stuff because of the accents.

Also, while they're streets ahead of stupid console fanboy podcasts like 1uy and it's successors (thank god no one is suggesting WC here), I wouldn't really call the bombcast a PC friendly podcast.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like Feedback and Major Nelson for work listening. Note that Feedback has a downloadable audio only version if you don't want to watch it.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Noobtoob is pretty good (NoobToob)

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads