As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Decent headset w/ mic

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
Looking for a nice pc headset for gaming with a mic. Over ear prefered.

had these but the right channel's died. Anything in the $50 range that won't have a channel die on my 4 months down the line?

SkutSkut on

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is USB but it has worked pretty great for me so far. Use the latest drivers on the website instead of the ones that come on the disc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826279001&Tpk=az1

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I switched from Plantronics when they seemed to be getting cheap and flimsy to Sennheiser. The over the head style PC150/160 is a little more comfortable than the hang off the ears type, have some of those as well.

No idea on prices though. Jabra bt620s are pretty comfortable (and expensive), unfortunately the bluetooth device and MS Windows don't seem to play nice.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there is a xbox motorola headset on woot today, no idea if it will only plug into the controller or if it is usb

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Huge huge huge props for both:

Sennheiser PC151
    I've had these for nearly 4 years and they still work perfect. Comfortable for extended gaming sessions and a super long cord if you have connections on the back of your PC. The build quality is superb and sound is perfect. There is a mute switch for the mic and a volume knob independent of the computer. Admittedly, these didn't get hard use. If I'm not using them in front of my computer, they hang off of a dragon statue on my desk.

Steelseries 5H v2
    I picked these up only because there isn't a version of the PC151 conducive to travel. Again, very comfortable, with a stowaway mic. The earcups are detachable from the headband for stowing in a bag. Comes with an extension cable and a USB "sound card" (really only useful if you're on a Mac). Again, these have relatively light use. When I'm not on the road, they're stuffed into a fabric pencil case in my laptop backpack. These are a bit more expensive. I went through about 8 different travel headsets before deciding to drop the money on these, but they have proven to be a worthwhile investment and exactly what I was looking for.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Microsoft Lifechat LX3000

We've got two of these in the apartment and they're awesome - very comfortable ear pieces and overall a durable piece of kit, with typical quality Microsoft build. Before these I had the Logitech 350 USB set and they really hurt my ears after a while, because they sat on my ears rather than surrounding them like the Microsoft set does.

This is only if you're up for a USB set, though, obviously. I prefer USB because I can switch between the headset and the speakers by linking to the Sound setup on my desktop in between games, and the sound quality is awesome. I play a lot of Modern Warfare 2 and these really help me in my game, able to discern perfectly where enemies are coming from. They're also quite good for cutting out other sounds from your environment.

Edit - Picked a Newegg link because everyone else is, dunno if that's a good price in $US but it seems decent enough. I remember paying more in Euro.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have the SkullCandy Com Ti multimedia headset. Its awesome and after several crappy headsets that broke or the mic broke I've had these now over a year without issue. And they're comfy.

The problem however is it seems Skullcandy stopped making them. They only have the xbox and PS3 specific ones, and I haven't seen a sale on them in ages. Normally 89.95, I got mine with shipping for 30 with a coupon for Skullcandy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OYFPZ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=053KDN46K940YZH71MBD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Those are the Com Ti headphones, you may be able to find them on Ebay, and at least one person is setting them for 45 on Amazon.

ransim on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Too many good choices here lol

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158082

If you can get past the obnoxious Fatal1ty branding they are fantastic.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We've just put in an order for a further three of those Microsoft headsets I mentioned. My brother's pc has gone through three headsets in the last year (I have no idea how) and has had problems with build quality - the Saitek GH30's microphone recently came out of the set with snapped audio cables inside (how? The microphone doesn't extend or anything...), and the previous two Logitech sets also eventually broke with either the microphone not working or the headset not working. So there are currently three broken headsets someone can choose to use on my brother's pc (more of a guest pc for people in the apartment, really) - two of them with working ear pieces but broken microphones, and one with a working microphone and broken ear pieces. Wonderful.

Those three headsets were all audio cable based, so I'm glad I've bought the more durable, USB-based headset that I use myself. Two other sets have been ordered for friends who have been impressed with their quality, whether that's sound quality (perfect spatial awareness in a game like Modern Warfare 2, or a brilliant deep bass in music) or the environmental noise cancelling feature, or the excellent microphone where everyone sounds perfectly clear with none of the hissing you typically get in equally-priced audio cable based sets.

Just saying that everyone over here is very impressed with them :)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I second the recommendation for the Fatal1ty headset. The MKII ones are excellent, although a bit out of your price range. I used to go through about three headsets a year and have had my Fatal1ty's for almost two years now without incident.

Darkwyndre on
    Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Sennheiser PC151
    I've had these for nearly 4 years and they still work perfect. Comfortable for extended gaming sessions and a super long cord if you have connections on the back of your PC. The build quality is superb and sound is perfect. There is a mute switch for the mic and a volume knob independent of the computer. Admittedly, these didn't get hard use. If I'm not using them in front of my computer, they hang off of a dragon statue on my desk.
    I very much wish to second this, the PC 150/151 line is a very nice and efficient no-bullshit brand of headsets: excellent sound quality, comfortable to wear, and the in-line volume control and microphone mute is downright criminal not to have. The only thing I can't vouch for is their lifespan, but I abuse my headsets like a fucker so can't really complain when they start to crap out after 2 years or so.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I third the fatal1ty headset. Although it's extremely durable, has amazing sound quality, and is super comfortable, the major selling point (for me at least) is the removable mic. In other words, you can use them as regular headphones and not look like a doofus in public.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    I third the fatal1ty headset. Although it's extremely durable, has amazing sound quality, and is super comfortable, the major selling point (for me at least) is the removable mic. In other words, you can use them as regular headphones and not look like a doofus in public.

The Steelseries mic retracts into the earcups.

Mugsley on