As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In Soviet Russia bear eat strawberry, sensually

IoloIolo ioloRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
11 alleged deep-cover Russian spies are arrested in the US this week.

They have been here for years, living and working in New York, New Jersey, Seattle, and DC. They have even given birth to and raised children here.

One of them, Anna Chapman, a 28 year old operating an online real estate company and living in Manhattan, posted (seemingly ill-advised) photos on a Russian social networking site Odnoklassniki ("Classmates.")

What is the most striking thing about this whole story?

Anna Chapman is Kaylee.

annachapman.jpg

kaylee04.jpg

Washington Post story.
Washington Post photo gallery (w/ video ad beforehand)

Text of story:
The suspects in a Russian spy ring lived all-American lives

By Jerry Markon and Philip Rucker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, June 30, 2010; A01

Richard and Cynthia Murphy raised two children in a colonial house with maroon shutters on a winding street in suburban New Jersey. Cynthia, a vice president at a financial services firm, tended hydrangeas out front. Katie, 11, and Lisa, 7, rode pink bicycles around a nearby cul-de-sac.

Neighbors noticed that Cynthia had a slight accent -- Scandinavian, she told them.

It seemed like a model upper-middle-class life. But according to federal prosecutors, the house on Marquette Road was owned by the "Moscow Center," an intelligence arm of the Russian government. U.S. officials say Richard and Cynthia Murphy -- probably not their real names -- were deep-cover Russian agents, two of 11 operatives who until their arrests this week lived for years like ordinary Americans while secretly reporting to Moscow.

"It's just staggering," said venture capitalist Alan Patricof, who suspects he is the unnamed businessman described by authorities as having been targeted by Cynthia Murphy. "It's off the charts."

Patricof, a longtime confidant of Bill and Hillary Clinton, knew Murphy through the Manhattan firm Morea Financial Services, a tax service where she worked and he was a client. Although he said they discussed only business, intercepted communications from the suspect's superiors mentioned a "New York-based financier" as a possible source of information about U.S. foreign policy and White House intelligence, according to the criminal complaint in the case.

Details that emerged Tuesday about the alleged spies' lives added to the mystery of a network that prosecutors say extended from Manhattan to Seattle and the heart of the Washington area. Though utterly unremarkable to their neighbors, the suspects allegedly buried stashes of money and wrote messages in invisible ink as they sought to collect tidbits about U.S. policy and secrets.

On closer inspection, there seemed to be hints that something was going on. The suspect known as Anna Chapman, who operated an online real estate company in New York, revealed on her Facebook page that she was educated in Moscow and belonged to an organization of Russian-speaking professionals. Another suspect, adjunct college professor Juan Lazaro, was recorded on an FBI wiretap describing his childhood to the woman who lived as his wife.

"We moved to Siberia . . . as soon as the war started," the Yonkers, N.Y. resident said, according to the complaint.

FBI agents arrested 10 people in the United States on Sunday, including the Murphys and three suspects in Arlington County. On Tuesday, as officials in the United States and Russia sought to prevent the case from harming relations between the two countries, the 11th person charged in Manhattan federal court was arrested on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus as he was about to fly to Budapest.

Attorneys for the suspects either could not be reached or declined to comment.
Nothing classified

Unlike famous spies such as Aldrich H. Ames and Robert P. Hanssen, who did incalculable damage to U.S. national security, those charged this week were ordered not to seek classified data, some federal officials said.

"They were here under deep cover, as a network in case Russian intelligence ever needed anything," said one law enforcement official, who like others quoted in this report spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing. "The idea was that they would become so Americanized that no one can ever find any connection between them and Russia."

Indeed, the alleged agents lived in the suburbs, went to parties and rooted for American sports teams. Eight men and women, authorities say, were "paired off" by Russian intelligence as married couples, and at least three of those four couples had children in the United States.

Two of those arrested in Arlington, a couple known as Michael Zottoli and Patricia Mills, took their young son on walks each evening in Seattle, where they lived until last year, neighbors said. Zottoli worked for an investment firm; Mills was a stay-at-home mom. The family lived in a neat and carefully decorated fifth-floor apartment.

"How would you ever think somebody next door would be involved in something like this?" said John Morrison, a neighbor. "You wouldn't think a spy would care about what color curtains or about making things look nice."

Mikhail Semenko, the third Arlington resident, helped neighbors at his apartment complex dig out after last winter's massive snowstorms. On his Facebook page, he lists a New Jersey Devils hockey player as one of his "likes."

"He's warm, not calculating," said Slava Shirokov, a co-owner of the Virginia travel agency where Semenko worked. "It's straight from a movie."

(In a strange twist of Washington's spy history, the strip mall that houses the travel agency has a Hollywood connection to Hanssen, the FBI agent who spied for Russia: A film crew working on "Breach," a movie about Hanssen, set up shop in the parking lot several years ago, the mall manager said.)
Hidden clues

But beneath the carefully constructed exteriors, there were indications of what authorities say was the suspects' real purpose in the United States: to infiltrate academic, policymaking and government-connected circles. Semenko, for example, often attended events sponsored by embassies and nongovernmental organizations.

Donald Howard Heathfield, an international business consultant who lived with his "wife," Tracey Lee Ann Foley, and their two teenage sons in Cambridge, Mass., sought membership in more than 30 professional, academic and business associations -- including one linked to the Department of Homeland Security, according to his page on LinkedIn.

More direct hints emerge in court documents. When agents covertly searched Foley's bank safety deposit box in 2001, they found a series of photographic negatives of her. The name of the company that produced the negatives had been excised on all but one. Authorities identified the producer of the final negative as TACMA, a Soviet film company, court documents said.

The Murphys, the New Jersey couple, argued to their Russian handlers that they should own their Montclair home, according to encrypted communications intercepted by federal investigators. The handlers responded that the director of Russian foreign intelligence "had personally determined that the center would own the Montclair house but would permit the NJ conspirators to live in it," court documents say.

The Murphys pushed. "From our perspective, purchase of the house was solely a natural progression of our prolonged stay here," they said. "It was a convenient way to solve the housing issue plus to 'do as the Romans do' in a society that values home ownership."

Back on the Murphys' leafy street, neighbors on Tuesday expressed bewilderment at the charges. They said Richard, who worked at home, was often seen walking his daughters to the bus stop in the morning.

"The tragedy is what's going to happen with these kids," said neighbor Alan Sokolow.

Rucker reported from New Jersey. Staff writers Paul Schwartzman, Maria Glod, Jason Horowitz and Kevin Sieff and staff researchers Julie Tate and Meg Smith contributed to this report.

Bonus! (Even ever so slightly video game related)
crackjournalism.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
Steam profile.
Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
Iolo on

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so this is what smart hero was tweeting about

Squall on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd go deep under some covers with her

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Would you like to give her a red menace?

MKR on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    other countries have spies?! In America?!?!?!?!?!?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There would certainly be a red storm rising.

John Matrix on
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    I'd go deep under some covers with her

Who wouldn't want to get behind an Iron Curtain with her?

Retaba on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    what wren said

M.D. on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is freaking amazing

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    alt post: Niko, is your cousin Roman. Let's go to titty bar together.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    man what the fuck would you want to learn about america right now

as a goddamn spy, what would make that spy think america was a hotbed of info

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »

you go where your government sends you and you do the best you can

real life isn't like Burn Notice

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Miss I'm going to have to check you for hidden recording devices.

Faricazy on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait what

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2010
    this is an ARG for the Black Widow movie isn't it

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2010
    here comes my metal detector

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Nuclear secrets would be nice

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited June 2010
    Since it seems they didn't actually commit any espionage, is there a charge for intending to commit espionage? What are they arrested FOR right now?

Faricazy on
    edited June 2010
    Oh, is it a charge for failing to disclose being a representative of a foreign government?

Faricazy on
    edited June 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Since it seems they didn't actually commit any espionage, is there a charge for intending to commit espionage? What are they arrested FOR right now?

being dirty pinko commie bastards

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited June 2010
    Wed 30 Jun, 10:35 AM

Posting messages on webcomic interboard. Man say silly thing about enjoyable black rapping stars that insults me but I tell him off, as I enjoy black rapping stars! Current stated mission objectives seem to have fallen by way-side? (should hypen be there???)

• Attempt information gathering on massive American Superpower
    • Sabotage or Subterfuge Attempts on American Economic Interests
    • Shooting The Will.I.Am

Big glaring one is center one. Went to a 7-11, don't have 14 dollars for slushie. Cried as brown man tell me to go back to home land and buy bullshit boorsch with monopoly money. Ruble not monopoly money! Ruble is aesthetically refined currency!!!!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

hahahahaha, charges?

Really?

This is America.

NotASenator on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They're currently under arrest for being agents of a foreign government that didn't declare themselves to the US government.

It's a slightly lighter version of espionage, as I understand it. Namely, yes...they were spies. Did they actually get a hold of any information or harm anyone? Probably not. Are we still going to try them and/or kick them out? Yep.

DrZiplock on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    other countries have spies?! In America?!?!?!?!?!?

As an Israeli you cannot possibly condone this or understand how it would happen!

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    According to the 14 seconds of this story I was exposed to yesterday, they were supposed to be trying to get in with people who might give them information about upcoming policy or military decisions.

NotASenator on
    edited June 2010
    someone-talked.jpg

NotASenator on
    edited June 2010
    siebel!

siebel talked!

Calamity Jane on
    edited June 2010
    someone-talked.jpg

ne-boltai.jpg

Faricazy on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder how they figured it out.

Did she sleep with a really nasty looking dude who had read a few too many Clancys, saw Sneakers and just figured that there was no way this hot russian chick was in it for the dong?

DrZiplock on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    They're currently under arrest for being agents of a foreign government that didn't declare themselves to the US government.

It's a slightly lighter version of espionage, as I understand it. Namely, yes...they were spies. Did they actually get a hold of any information or harm anyone? Probably not. Are we still going to try them and/or kick them out? Yep.

Are you joking? How do you think Russia got plans for our fried-chicken-instead-of-bread sandwich!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    zimfan wrote: »
    This is freaking amazing

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    it says no something is baltai talking, I thought it was gavareet

M.D. on
    edited June 2010
    3173434120_dd7dec10d3.jpg

NotASenator on
    edited June 2010
    poster-12.jpg

Faricazy on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

You have to declare yourself.

You're telling me when my government send's SIS officer's abroad they have to tell the government of what ever country they're in that they're a spy?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole exercise?

Karl on
    edited June 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »

Nuclear secrets would be nice

to what end

like the world's gonna become a fucking tom clancy novel

Calamity Jane on
    edited June 2010
    "Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go to America and live there. You will get a job and a residence."

"Ok. Then what?"

"No, that's it. Feel free to get married and have kids if you want."

NotASenator on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Probably viral marketing for the Red Dawn remake

RIP Swayze, you glorious hunk of manbeef

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited June 2010

gavareet is "saying", baltai is "blab"

Faricazy on
    edited June 2010
    ok I guess that's talking where as gavareet is speak, this is in reference to fari's posters

gavareet is "saying", baltai is "blab"

ah ok

M.D. on