As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Renting a room from Craigslist

AlthaneAlthane Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be in Alabama for a month working on an internship, and so I hit up Craigslist to look for any places. I was just looking for a sublet room or something like that.

I came across: http://huntsville.craigslist.org/roo/1812109455.html

Seems legit enough, so I mailed the guy. He wants to do a credit check (I don't have much, being that I'm young), and a background check (uh... sure?). I'm fine with those. I can pay him in cash for the entire month, as well.

However, I just need to know important things. Should I get a contract or something? What happens if I pay him, then he dumps me out? Where's my legal standing in that sort of thing? Does this seem legit to you guys?

Any tips on dealing with something like this, and answers, would be much appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Althane on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pay him with a cashier's check, keep the stub.

And did you make it clear to him that you're only going to be there for one month?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I saw your apartment on Craigslist, and had some questions. I would be staying in Huntsville until around August 7th, and am planning on arriving on the 3rd of July.

That's what I told him in the e-mail.

Althane on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Credit checks are normal, background checks aren't completely out of the ordinary.

Edit- Also, can you meet him / visit the property before you commit?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah. But it is the best looking place that I've seen on Craigslist for the area, so I'm hopeful. Still, planning on visiting him on Saturday to check it out.

Althane on